HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hodgson Trade Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 11:14 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

vCash: 500
FIRE AV, wait, am I doing it right?

Old
03-06-2013, 11:15 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPoppySyndrome View Post
FIRE AV, wait, am I doing it right?
Personally, Finn always got on my nerves.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:16 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I still can't believe we traded Bob Dailey.
Modano>Linden AINEC!

Old
Doobie Dubois

Quote:
Originally Posted by luongo321 View Post

Not gonna lie, the day Cody Hodgson was traded was one of the most upset days I have ever had. That hit me worse than losing the Cup.

That defense was so bad there. It's almost like he catches people of guard. That won't last. He looks slowwww.

Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker View Post
I think 90% of us hope Hodgson doesnt do well secretly, so we can justify this trade. lol
Count me as part of the 10% then. I actually think it's funny how well he's doing. He'd be our leading scorer right now, but nope: 4th line for you. Ahhh AV.

03-06-2013, 11:17 PM
me2
Team Ben Anti-Tank 0

vCash: 93
This happened.

No matter what happens from now on we will have always won the trade.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:18 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

Quote:

Not gonna lie, the day Cody Hodgson was traded was one of the most upset days I have ever had. That hit me worse than losing the Cup.
Just wow. "Worse than losing the Cup."

Words. I have none.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:21 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post

Words. I have none.
Long dream I had in 1982 ended when Harold passed to Bossy (of all people AND right in the slot) to end game 1 of the Finals...

Old
me2
Team Ben Anti-Tank 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker View Post
I think 90% of us hope Hodgson doesnt do well secretly, so we can justify this trade. lol
I'd rather Kassian goes on 20 game PPG streak crushing all before him.

Either that the nucks drafted Karlsson with Hodgson pick.

Old
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
This happened.

No matter what happens from now on we will have always won the trade.
So you mean all we need to do is trade our stars for goons? As long as they beat up on Edmonton's tough guys we should be happy right?

Old
03-06-2013, 11:22 PM
crazyforhockey

two teams got what they needed desperatly.... by giving up something they could use.

sabres needed size but desperatly needed a playmaking center.

canucks needed the center depth but desperatly needed the big size skillful power forward

win win

canucks also benefit from a more likable guy and more chemistry in the room

Old
03-06-2013, 11:25 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
That defense was so bad there. It's almost like he catches people of guard. That won't last. He looks slowwww.
He strips Eric Staal of the puck, goes through the entire team and beats the goalie with a nice shot and all we have to offer is - bad defense, caught them off guard and slowwww.

When was the last time a Canuck scored a goal that nice?

He looks about as slowww as Henrik Sedin.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:31 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Wouldn't Hodgson be perfect on this team right now?
No.

Slow offensive center who is on the ice for a lot of goals against. Scores his fair share while playing with elite players, but happens to be on the ice for more goals against even with his gaudy EV strength numbers (that simply aren't that impressive when you balance the ledger).

Sorry. Raymond and Hansen won't open up ice for him like Vanek and Pominville can.

So here he'd be playing with lesser skilled forwards (who would play responsibly ie shelter his own responsibility) and end up nowhere near as effective.

Now before you say, that's AV and his systems fault, well I'll just say defensively responsible players win games in this league. It's no coincidence to me Buffalo's style has them picking in the top 4.

It sort of opens the eyes to why players in Rochester always have better numbers than the ones on the Canucks farm. But I watch the NHL and the guys that played in our system are much more dependable players. Yeah it would be awesome to have more offense, but not by virtue of playing less defense.

For those making a point to mention Kassian's poor defense. I don't see it. He's a much better defense player now than hodgson IMO. Where he is deficient is puck management and consistency. He's a year behind Hodgson in the NHL. He's still figuring out what he is (hodgson is too, but IMO he's more of a finished product or at least closer to that).

We already see Kassian is more versatile as well. Has played on all 4 forward lines at this point and has characteristics and skills that have allowed him to be effective in all those roles.

I don't think hodgson really improves this team at all right now. Creates a huge deficiency in other things.

Not to mention a lot of souls want luongo gone because he wants out. You guys blowing that horn (I know u haven't Y2k) better keep quiet when he is moved and we struggle.

It's become a cry baby fest on here with the hodgson this, Grabner that crap. Let's move on.

We're not even a half of a shortened season done and people are ready to acclaim Hodgson the next Steve Yzerman (albeit shorter, slower, and not as good).

Old
03-06-2013, 11:37 PM
me2
Team Ben Anti-Tank 0

Quote:
So you mean all we need to do is trade our stars for goons? As long as they beat up on Edmonton's tough guys we should be happy right?
dancing in the streets happy

Old
03-06-2013, 11:48 PM
Petey Cee
reel gud

Quote:
That hit me worse than losing the Cup.
I dont understand

Old
03-06-2013, 11:53 PM
Grub
First Line Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforhockey View Post
two teams got what they needed desperatly.... by giving up something they could use.

sabres needed size but desperatly needed a playmaking center.

canucks needed the center depth but desperatly needed the big size skillful power forward

win win

canucks also benefit from a more likable guy and more chemistry in the room
If we even needed Kassian he woudln't be playing in the fourth and third line... what we need is a center... we DID NOT desperately need Kassian... but we do need a center in Hodgson.

Terrible deal

Old
03-06-2013, 11:55 PM
Rick Sanchez
Wub a lub a dub dub

Quote:

Old
03-07-2013, 12:06 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 50
Quote:

First of all that was some bush league defense and my god he looked slow there.

Second of all, I'd trade Hodgson++ for Scott Gomez's old contract if it meant guaranteeing us a cup.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:07 AM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinsane View Post

Words. I have none.
lol, I think it's because I had a couple of periods to process that we were not going to win the Cup. Pretty much knew we had to win 1-0 with Thomas in HHOF'er mode. I had already accepted the defeat and left the downtown mob at the 2nd intermission. (Not a bandwagoner. I was just worried for my safety so I left. I still remember walking out the exit/gate area where a few security peeps were saying someone had already broken their leg or something similar to that). Cody's departure was a complete blindside to me and he is the type of offensive talent dangling/one-shot scorer that this team needs (bar-down on thomas).

The finals to me was like a defeated sadness, but I was just so incredibly angry when Hodgson was traded. That's probably actually the biggest difference.

Now that I think back to it more, I remember why I wasn't as down as I should have been for the SC. It was because I was so enveloped in all of the riot news coverage. It kind of snapped some sense into me about how it's just a game and these clowns go and do that. I was also pretty sick of the officiating by that time as well (I had no problems with game 7 officiating). Good ol' downtown Rob Brown. Calgarypuck was in love with that guy.

Last edited by luongo321: 03-07-2013 at 12:53 AM.
Old
03-07-2013, 12:08 AM
struckmatch

All of these "I'm so sick of discussing Hodgson" comments are flat out ridiculous.

He's a better player than Kassian and was at the time of the trade. It made zero sense to trade the better player (they're both young so the youth argument doesn't fly here) for a raw rookie when you're trying WIN NOW.

I thought it was an idiotic move at the time and it's being proven so right now. You can NEVER have enough depth at center. Ever. Do you think Jordan Staal cried when he was a #3 center behind Crosby and Malkin when they won the cup? Don't think so.

Now the Penguins have Brandon Sutter as their #3 center...oh my god whatever will they do? You can't let a player with talent toil in your bottom 6...surely you can't do that right????

So he had an issue with management eh? That's an absolute FAILING on the part of Mike Gillis and company. Part of being a manager in ANY scenario is managing people. People. Managing people. That goes for any manager in any situation ever in any business.

Not everyone has to get along and hug and kiss when you're at work, but in professional situations, when you as a manager give up an asset that can help you be successful now for an asset that is 3 - 5 years away from significantly helping you be successful - that's a mistake.

I said it then, and I'll say it again, Canucks fans are going to regret letting Hodgson go. I'm sure Kassian will develop and be exciting here as well, but right now Hodgson is flourishing offensively (21 points in 24 games) and has NOT been bad defensively being only a -2 while playing a lot of minutes on a team that is sitting 13th in the conference who's goaltender can't stop a beach ball right now.

This trade is so frustrating to even think about. It is SO CANUCKS to let a player like that go. Honestly, how Gillis hasn't faced more heat for this is beyond me. Love how Hodgson was depicted as the bad guy here, basically thrown under the bus by the Canucks and their management.

Do all teammates love each other? Does every player love his coach? Does every coach love all of his players?

No.

It's about putting personalities aside and winning, the Canucks brainfarted this one.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:13 AM
Scurr
Bear G

Quote:
Wouldn't Hodgson be perfect on this team right now?
He wouldn't play above Schroeder imo. He wouldn't have seen the ice in the playoffs either. Can't win wit 'em.

Hodgson needs to take a time machine back to the 80's, when you didn't have to play any defence.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:15 AM
struckmatch

AV: "Hodgson? He must be sheltered and can't play responsible defensively"

Hodgson goes to Buffalo with a terrible back end and a goalie who can't make a save, 13th in the conference, plays top line minutes and is almost a PPG player...all while being only -2.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:16 AM
RezChi

I don't get where all this Hodgson hate comes from, there is no actual proof that Hodgson wanted a trade out. His dad may have been a nuisance but that doesn't that you have to go out hating on him. All we get are quotes from Gillis saying that he spent more time on Hodgson then anyone else, well he was the top rookie of January and was slowly getting better and better yet he still gets limited ice time.
Also, you don't trade centres for damn wingers even if they both have potential to be great.

Hodgson -2 in buffalo is bad? Well ****, look at Myers' -6 and Kassians -4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
First of all that was some bush league defense and my god he looked slow there.

Second of all, I'd trade Hodgson++ for Scott Gomez's old contract if it meant guaranteeing us a cup.
Sadly Kassian doesn't guarantee use anything.

Last edited by RezChi: 03-07-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old
03-07-2013, 12:22 AM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by RezChi View Post
I don't get where all this Hodgson hate comes from, there is no actual proof that Hodgson wanted a trade out. His dad may have been a nuisance but that doesn't that you have to go out hating on him. All we get are quotes from Gillis saying that he spent more time on Hodgson then anyone else, well he was the top rookie of January and was slowly getting better and better yet he still gets limited ice time.
To me, that's just Gillis covering himself so that even if the trade is a bust he can play his 'hey, we had to do it' card. It's quite clear to me that AV is the problem. GEt him the **** out of here. Bring in a guy that doesn't need to insult offensively-gifted players. I remember when it was brought up about the protected minutes Hodgson was playing and that's why he was putting up points. Hey, if that's the case, why didn't they try that with any of our other players? Oh yeah, none of them have as much talent as hodgson to even take advantage of protected ice time. so sick of dr. av.

The world wasn't going to end if they kept Cody until the end of the season. AV and Gillis were too arrogant and didnt want him on the team anymore. Backfired. Big time. First round loss. I think he would have really helped us get through our funk that we went through. AV was too obsessed with getting his shutdown 3rd line. He was so obsessed with his shutdown 3rd line that he neglected the 2nd line. He needed to get that line going, but instead he let Booth and Kesler gain no confidence as they headed into the playoffs. Those 2 needed Higgins playing with them to let them build some confidence towards the playoffs. Just so sick of AV. I really thought he would have been fired after the kings loss in the playoffs. Oh well, MG just showing his patience so he can have AV as his last excuse for not succeeding.

Last edited by luongo321: 03-07-2013 at 12:45 AM.
Old
03-07-2013, 12:26 AM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
yeah but he's consistently getting points while Kassian hasn't scored in more than 10 games so yeah so far it looking like it will last.

Closed Thread