HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey without fighting.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:42 AM
droid56

vCash: 500
Hockey without fighting.

No other major team sport allows fighting. You know this.

Does NHL hockey allow fighting because it isn't confident that it will be sufficiently popular without it?

I watched a fight in the Ottawa-Toronto match just barely into the game. The fight had nothing to do with the game. It was just a show.

The player knocked out probably excited some viewers, but a very few were turned off. And that includes me. When I watch an NHL fight, if the fighters just do their thing without any significant damage, I can handle it. But what I saw in that game made me turn the channel.

Yes, I know you want me to find another sport such as curling.

But I've been watching hockey since the days of Henri Richard, and I don't want to watch anymore.

But I know I am a tiny minority, so please ignore my post.

droid56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:48 AM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid56 View Post
No other major team sport allows fighting. You know this.

Does NHL hockey allow fighting because it isn't confident that it will be sufficiently popular without it?

I watched a fight in the Ottawa-Toronto match just barely into the game. The fight had nothing to do with the game. It was just a show.

The player knocked out probably excited some viewers, but a very few were turned off. And that includes me. When I watch an NHL fight, if the fighters just do their thing without any significant damage, I can handle it. But what I saw in that game made me turn the channel.

Yes, I know you want me to find another sport such as curling.

But I've been watching hockey since the days of Henri Richard, and I don't want to watch anymore.

But I know I am a tiny minority, so please ignore my post.
I am annoyed at those too.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:51 AM
JIMVINNY

These guys are getting too big, and too strong to allow this to continue. Makes me sick seeing a guy hit the ice face first after getting ktfo. I love hockey fights as much as the next guy, but that wasn't a hockey fight.

JIMVINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:52 AM
maplehawk
HFB Partner

Unless you know what it feels like to sit on the bench and watch a teammate drop the mitts with one of the toughest guys on the other team, you really cannot say it has no effect on the game.

It has a huge effect on both teams.

maplehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:54 AM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post
Unless you know what it feels like to sit on the bench and watch a teammate drop the mitts with one of the toughest guys on the other team, you really cannot say it has no effect on the game.

I doubt it's for the better in staged fights though.

Eisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:55 AM
Polo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMVINNY View Post
These guys are getting too big, and too strong to allow this to continue. Makes me sick seeing a guy hit the ice face first after getting ktfo. I love hockey fights as much as the next guy, but that wasn't a hockey fight.
wrong.

KO's in the NHL are just as rare as they were back then. They dont happen often lets stop pretending they do

Polo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:59 AM
JIMVINNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
wrong.

KO's in the NHL are just as rare as they were back then. They dont happen often lets stop pretending they do
Doesn't matter if it only happens once a season. That kid now has a brain injury that could affect his quality of life from now on.

JIMVINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:03 AM
Miller Time

it would make for better "hockey", but would lose the "schoolyard" fight appeal that most fans understandably love.

i don't know that removing fighting would have the legitimizing affect some argue holds the sport back in the U.S, popularity-wise, but I also don't think it would do anything to reduce the support or ultimate enjoyment of the game for the vast majority of fans.

ultimately it's a very stupid element that is completely unnecessary, but just like the WWE is popular, appealing to the lowest common denominator is a very appealing marketing ploy, one i'm sure the NHL owners are loathe to give up... that is until someone dies

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:03 AM
Megahab

Sometimes I am shocked that fighting is allowed in hockey. It never made sense to me.

Megahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:05 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehawk View Post

of course, you're making the huge assumption that the only way the positive emotions of having someone stick up for you can be felt if punches are thrown, which is of course patently false.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:06 AM
Polo*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megahab View Post
Sometimes I am shocked that fighting is allowed in hockey. It never made sense to me.
really megan, you are shocked? After all these years of being allowed it still baffles you?

Polo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:09 AM
Miller Time

Quote:
really megan, you are shocked? After all these years of being allowed it still baffles you?
reminds me of the initial opposition to the indoor smoking ban...

at first, people everywhere couldn't believe that any city could actually get away with it, and certainly never in their own.

next thing you know, in a very short timeframe, hard to find anyone who can understand how it was ever considered ok in the first place.

just because stupidity has been allowed & accepted for a long time, doesn't make it any more comprehensible.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:10 AM
NHL Fanatik

Quote:
he decided to play in the nhl...with pro sports there are risks and always have...thats why they get paid the millions

This isnt girls canoeing class.
This.

Although I'm sure canoeing class can get rowdy at times

NHL Fanatik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:11 AM
SaxMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
reminds me of the initial opposition to the indoor smoking ban...

at first, people everywhere couldn't believe that any city could actually get away with it, and certainly never in their own.

next thing you know, in a very short timeframe, hard to find anyone who can understand how it was ever considered ok in the first place.

just because stupidity has been allowed & accepted for a long time, doesn't make it any more comprehensible.
Fighting in hockey does not have any negative consequences to non participants. How can you compare fighting to smoking laws

SaxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:12 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Hockey without fighting would be alright, but I've got an even better idea of something way better. Hockey with fighting.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:14 AM
SaxMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Hockey without fighting would be alright, but I've got an even better idea of something way better. Hockey with fighting.
No, hockey without fighting would suck. Then the same people who had a problem with fighting would start petitioning to remove hitting. It would never end.

SaxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:16 AM
ZKass The Bass

Not to sound rude but I really don't think anyone cares. Fighting isn't going anywhere, and I mean it's been such a huge part of the NHL for so long it would be ridiculous to ban it now.

ZKass The Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
asdfman
Weeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post

asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxMan View Post
Fighting in hockey does not have any negative consequences to non participants. How can you compare fighting to smoking laws
guess you haven't spent much time in minor hockey rinks...

Old
03-07-2013, 02:17 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

I'm really split on this issue. As most hockey fans, I'm excited whenever I see a hockey fight. But on the other hand, seeing all the consequences it does to the brain, and I have to ask myself if it's really necessary. Unlike MMA or boxing, hockey would still be played and would still be exciting without the fights.

In the end, it should be an NHLPA decision. If the players want the fights, agree that they can get punched, knowing all the consequences it can have on the quality of life, then who am I to say it doesn't belong in the sport? But I'm curious about the results a secret vote on this issue would get among players.

Since I never received a punch from a 6'6" guy on a NHL rink, I'll also surely won't defend fighting blindly as if it was just harmless fun. I love the show, but those doing the show should be the only ones to have a say in this.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:18 AM
Ho Borvat

NLL has fighting

I think fighting DOES and always WILL have a place in the game.

However, I think within the next 5 years we could very easily see the Colton Orrs, John Scotts, and Ben Eagers of the world gone.

There is nothing wrong with Kevin Bieksa, Wayne Simmonds, Milan Lucic, or Paul Gaustad sticking up for their teammates and playing a physical game.

Its when Jody Shelley fights Brian Macgrattan that nothing is accomplished.

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:19 AM
TwistedWrister90

Watch something else if it bugs you that much. They don't fight in the NCAA

TwistedWrister90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
NHL Fanatik

Some players (if not more for the endurance aspect) take boxing and such classes to improve on their fighting and strength and what not. Players join this league knowing the variables, and do what it takes to get the job done and make the big bucks. Hence why they do make the big bucks... They understand the possibilities going into a fight, and it is also reasoning as to why star players don't tend to fight, and grinders do.

And KO's are not common. Whoever says they are is just lying.

NHL Fanatik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaxMan View Post
No, hockey without fighting would suck. Then the same people who had a problem with fighting would start petitioning to remove hitting. It would never end.
Too bad. You're missing pretty good playoff hockey, I tell you.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:20 AM
droid56

So hockey without fighting would suck.

That translates to hockey sucks. Wrong! Hockey doesn't suck without fighting.

I get that agression junkies don't agree

droid56 is offline   Reply With Quote