HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Mike Gillis Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 01:11 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubros View Post
I seem to recall Samuelsson being upset at being traded.
He liked the player group, but he was not completely happy, had issues with management. Probably AV pissing him off, maybe something Gillis did. I don't know.

http://vansunsportsblogs.com/2012/07...el-samuelsson/

Old
03-07-2013, 01:14 AM
Momesso

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ginner classic View Post
You could make the case that ballard cost us ehrhoff but not really mitchell. Malkin hit cost mitchell as well as a myopic focus on getting two way play from all 6 d....which never materialized with ballard.
Good point. Still hurts!

Mitchell was one of my favorite Canucks. I really thought he should have worn the "C". I was pissed when he wasn't re-signed, but had my rose coloured Canuck glasses when Ballard was acquired at the draft. I thought, in that offseason, he'd be an upgrade.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:55 AM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by RezChi View Post
The thing that screws with me the most is that, fine if it was deemed that we HAD to trade Hodgson, why didn't we wait until draft day to get more or during the off season? We were lacking in secondary scoring, then we trade away our best choice for secondary scoring. Then play the player we traded for, for 4th line minutes. Not to mention Kassian wasn't and still isn't that great offensively.
The choice was made to go after Pahlsson because apparently AV had a bigger hand in player personnel decisions than we all thought. Problem was that we targeted the wrong center out of CBJ, and by extension we went with the wrong approach into the playoffs.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:08 AM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
The choice was made to go after Pahlsson because apparently AV had a bigger hand in player personnel decisions than we all thought. Problem was that we targeted the wrong center out of CBJ, and by extension we went with the wrong approach into the playoffs.
Interesting I did not know this, is there a source? All I remember MG say was they looked at previous cup winners and it was the type of transaction that they had made, or made them more like previous winners, something like that.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:45 AM
hockeywoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
Exactly. The deal stands as it was made. Grabner being waived is irrelevant.

The only realistic way the trade becomes a "win" now is if we get a new coach who gets better hockey out of Ballard.

As it stands, losing Mitchell that year and taking on Ballard is a painful thought to bear.
Grabner was a redundant asset.
The price was high, but a top-4 D was the greatest need.

Hamhuis wasn't signed.
Bieksa was expected to be traded.
Mitchell was a big question mark.

Parting with Mitchell made sense.
1) Concussion risk
2) Getting more mobile (Remember getting walked around by the speedy Hawks)

Old
03-07-2013, 09:43 AM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeywoot View Post
His waiver situation (had to clear if sent down) was the bigger problem. Canucks knew that he'd be claimed if put on the waiver wire so they'd lose him for nothing. Given the team's history of multiple injuries to the blueline (which continued AFTER Grabner was dealt), we couldn't keep a forward in the pressbox all season long (reason why Tambo was put on waivers).

You can question the acquisition of Ballard by not the reasons for dealing Grabner (get something for an asset rather than lose him for nothing).

Old
03-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Fat Tony

Quote:
That was a common refrain. I hope Gillis doesn't have this mindset when he's looking to trade one of Luongo/Schneider.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:47 AM
SoTzuMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
That was a common refrain. I hope Gillis doesn't have this mindset when he's looking to trade one of Luongo/Schneider.
Why not? Having both makes one of them redundant -> Trade one for fair value.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Fat Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoTzuMe View Post
Why not? Having both makes one of them redundant -> Trade one for fair value.
The mindset was that we can afford to overpay because of the redundancy, ie. not fair value.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:52 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
The price was high, but a top-4 D was the greatest need.

Hamhuis wasn't signed.
Bieksa was expected to be traded.
Mitchell was a big question mark.

Parting with Mitchell made sense.
1) Concussion risk
2) Getting more mobile (Remember getting walked around by the speedy Hawks)
Every problem doesnt have to be solved in one month. The Hamhuis wasn't signed excuse is getting old. Fact is, MG wanted Ballard no matter what.

I would argue that Grabner would be doing better here then he is on the island.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:56 PM
PearJuice*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post
Every problem doesnt have to be solved in one month. The Hamhuis wasn't signed excuse is getting old. Fact is, MG wanted Ballard no matter what.

I wonder if Gillis even consulted with AV before he pulled the trigger on the Ballard deal.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:56 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
His waiver situation (had to clear if sent down) was the bigger problem. Canucks knew that he'd be claimed if put on the waiver wire so they'd lose him for nothing. Given the team's history of multiple injuries to the blueline (which continued AFTER Grabner was dealt), we couldn't keep a forward in the pressbox all season long (reason why Tambo was put on waivers).

You can question the acquisition of Ballard by not the reasons for dealing Grabner (get something for an asset rather than lose him for nothing).
I am so sick of this . Making up crap and then pretending its truth.

Name the source where Grabner was going on waivers.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:58 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post

Its not even this. Its this intelligence insulting idea that the Canucks would have stuck the guy on waivers for nothing if they didnt trade him.

WTF? Gillis has had his gaffes, but he aint Dale Tallon. If he doesnt make the Ballard deal, we keep Grabner. It aint rocket science.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:59 PM
PearJuice*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizeman View Post
I am so sick of this . Making up crap and then pretending its truth.

Name the source where Grabner was going on waivers.
I understand the logic in dealing Grabner (although I disagree with it), but I don't understand why Gillis was so insistent on dealing him for yet another player who didn't fit into AV's system.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:01 PM
PearJuice*

Mike Gillis has made a lot of good moves over the years, but I think we can all agree that he does not have a great trading record.

I remember when he got hired there was some speculation that ex-agent Gillis was not well liked among GMs, and that this could impact his ability to make deals.

Does anyone else (besides me) suspect that this is a factor in Gillis not getting the Luongo deal done?

Old
03-07-2013, 10:03 PM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
Good point. Still hurts!

Mitchell was one of my favorite Canucks. I really thought he should have worn the "C". I was pissed when he wasn't re-signed, but had my rose coloured Canuck glasses when Ballard was acquired at the draft. I thought, in that offseason, he'd be an upgrade.
Same Mitchell was one of my favourite players, he was the backbone of the defense.

one of the better stay a home man, that can log 20+ mins against the other teams top lines, strong along boards/front of net, hit, fight and lead.

The fact he was from BC was perfect, like you, I wanted him to be captain over Henrik.

I love the Sedins since the draft, but they are not captain material imo

I was shocked we didn't sign Mitchell, let ehrhoff go for almost nothing, and traded Cody.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:27 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
The Luongo situation is turn out pretty messy for Gillis atm. He was ballsy enough to hold out for the right deal and that was fine when things were going well. However, due to the injuries and the teams recent play he's getting backed into a corner and the gloss has come off Luongo after a red hot start, and Schneider is solid but not the amazing goalie he was the last year or two/playoff. If the team falls behind a NW team in the next week or two he's going to have to make some moves and he's going to get bent over a barrel.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:28 PM
BuggSuperstar

I was thinking about the lines for next game, what do you guys think:

Sedin Sedin Burrows
Grabner Hodgson Kadri
Hansen Kesler Higgins
Sestito Lapierre Weise

oh wait.....GMMG messed up...never mind.

It's easy to criticize and hindsight is 20/20....but.....this lineup is significantly better and could have been a reality.
If AV wasn't such a fan for AHL grinders with no hands, Hodgson and Grabner would have made this lineups top 6 (for minutes at least) and Hodgson's Dad would have been happy.

It was up to GMMG to realize what AV does to this team.
It was up to GMMG to trade Luongo in the summer instead of keeping him around and messing with team chemistry (this is purely a guess on my part, I have no source).

Old
03-07-2013, 10:29 PM
vcanuck

Im fed up with MG's 'patience'...

The team has so many holes to fill but he hasnt done anything in months... his only acquisition since the off season is a 4th line waiver pickup.

No 3rd line centre, 4m dollar bottom 6 defenceman, 5m dollar back up and no legit top 6 wingers on the 2nd line.

Im suprised he hasnt gotten enough heat from the fans/media for his lack of moves despite the team having won only 3 times in 11 games...

Old
03-07-2013, 10:31 PM
vcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuggSuperstar View Post
I was thinking about the lines for next game, what do you guys think:

Sedin Sedin Kassian
Grabner Hodgson Kadri
Hansen Kesler Burrows
Sestito Lapierre Weise

oh wait.....GMMG F&*^ed up...never mind.

It's easy to criticize and hindsight is 20/20....but.....this lineup is significantly better and could have been a reality.
If AV wasn't such a fan for AHL grinders with no hands, Hodgson and Grabner would have made this lineups top 6 (for minutes at least) and Hodgson's Dad would have been happy.

It was up to GMMG to realize what AV does to this team.
It was up to GMMG to trade Luongo in the summer instead of keeping him around and messing with team chemistry (this is purely a guess on my part, I have no source).
Add to that not re-signing or giving Torres that extra year to a list of screwups.

He underestimated the chemistry Lappy and Torres had in the cup run, those 2 were great for us.

Now we get a revolving door in the 4th line wing.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:45 PM
sunnyvale420

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcanuck View Post
Add to that not re-signing or giving Torres that extra year to a list of screwups.

He underestimated the chemistry Lappy and Torres had in the cup run, those 2 were great for us.

Now we get a revolving door in the 4th line wing.
Phoenix threw torres a bunch of money and a longer term deal than the canucks couldve matched. Thats no fault on MG. i see MGs biggest failure not being able to re-sign ehrhoff and thinking edler would only get better. Buffalo gave ehrhoff 40 million over 10 years, only 4m cap hit. I would like to believe he wouldve agreed to a 6 year 30m contract. So ballard at 4.2 for 4ish years and losing a first round draftee as well as a later date first round pick or ehrhoff at 5? Ehrhoff being a top 2 pmd or ballard a top 4 panther and 5/6 canuck. Only saving grace was getting hamhuis, could you imagine having ballard in the top 4 in vancouver?

Old
03-07-2013, 10:48 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBettman View Post
I wonder if Gillis even consulted with AV before he pulled the trigger on the Ballard deal.
Highly doubt it. Gillis wanted smaller offensive D men.Ballard and Hamuise fit the mould perfectly

Old
03-07-2013, 10:49 PM
ahmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvale420 View Post
Phoenix threw torres a bunch of money and a longer term deal than the canucks couldve matched. Thats no fault on MG.
That bunch of money you are talking about is 1.75 mil per year for 2 years. What a bunch of money
Surely the canucks can't afford a 1.75 mil 3rd liner, but paid malhotra 2.5 on the 4th line last year, and 4.2mil for ballard as a 6-7 dman.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:52 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBettman View Post
Mike Gillis has made a lot of good moves over the years, but I think we can all agree that he does not have a great trading record.

I remember when he got hired there was some speculation that ex-agent Gillis was not well liked among GMs, and that this could impact his ability to make deals.

Does anyone else (besides me) suspect that this is a factor in Gillis not getting the Luongo deal done?
There was talk of that but its not relevant anymore. There is more hated hockey guys out there. Kevin Lowe for example

Old
03-07-2013, 10:53 PM
vcanuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvale420 View Post
Phoenix threw torres a bunch of money and a longer term deal than the canucks couldve matched. Thats no fault on MG. i see MGs biggest failure not being able to re-sign ehrhoff and thinking edler would only get better. Buffalo gave ehrhoff 40 million over 10 years, only 4m cap hit. I would like to believe he wouldve agreed to a 6 year 30m contract. So ballard at 4.2 for 4ish years and losing a first round draftee as well as a later date first round pick or ehrhoff at 5? Ehrhoff being a top 2 pmd or ballard a top 4 panther and 5/6 canuck. Only saving grace was getting hamhuis, could you imagine having ballard in the top 4 in vancouver?
He's only making an extra 500k more than his old contract, was 500k really too much to ask for a guy who played his heart out for the team in our Cup run?

The team didnt mind having Malhotra making 2.5m taking faceoffs, or Ballard 4.2m to be a depth defenceman.

I agree with re-sign Ehrhoff, MG's ego/pride/stubborness got in the way of that i believe.

Im sure Ehrhoff wanted to re-sign, but he wanted to get paid and rightfully so after helping the team's PP be tops of the leauge.

MG tried to lowball offer him and now he's playing for another team and our PP has never been the same.

Closed Thread