HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey without fighting.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:50 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
I don't recall a fight happening in the playoffs in a very long time. Refresh my memory please, also it's an automatic game misconduct, which means the NHL doesn't want fighting in the post season.

Olympic hockey only sucks when your team doesn't win anything. How you can say an event that has the best players in the world playing in it sucks is beyond me.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever read on here.
There was an awful lot of fighting in the playoffs last year.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:53 AM
fireworks

Quote:
I don't recall a fight happening in the playoffs in a very long time. Refresh my memory please, also it's an automatic game misconduct, which means the NHL doesn't want fighting in the post season.

Olympic hockey only sucks when your team doesn't win anything. How you can say an event that has the best players in the world playing in it sucks is beyond me.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever read on here.

Last year?

Bertuzzi vs Weber
Pavelski vs Russell
Wingels vs Stewart
Prust vs Neil
Pens vs Flyers (Crosby,Giroux,Timononen,Letang,Hartnell,Adams,etc )

fireworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:58 AM
JIMVINNY

Don't need to get rid of fighting completely, but these staged fights between beasts of men needs to go. 10 game suspension for staged fights will nip it in the bud right quick.

JIMVINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:04 AM
Sigh
Snowflake

vCash: 1415
This thread was sucking, then BAM, awesome.

Sigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:04 AM
JIMVINNY

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPunch View Post
I've been following hockey for 5 years and I'm going to tell you whats been wrong with it for the past 100.
Says the guy who calls himself "ipunch". Nothing to see here, folks, no hidden agenda at all.

JIMVINNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:06 AM
XLJ

Sometimes you do get the feeling that some fans like the fights more than the actual game. Especially the ones that comment and vote on who won each fight on websites like hockeyfights.. I mean who really cares it isn't exactly boxing.

I'm not a fan of the players that only play 3-4 minutes a night and just get into staged fights with each other. Those players are worthless and don't belong in the NHL.

Hockey can be a very emotional game, I have no issues with fighting being part of the game. Just would love to get rid of the players that are only in the nhl because they can fight.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:07 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMVINNY View Post
Says the guy who calls himself "ipunch". Nothing to see here, folks, no hidden agenda at all.
So you assume he's all for fighting or maybe it's a cheeky nod at Punch Imlach, Leafs legendary coach by adding the Iphone "I" in front of it?

Honour Over Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:12 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireworks View Post
Last year?

Bertuzzi vs Weber
Pavelski vs Russell
Wingels vs Stewart
Prust vs Neil
Pens vs Flyers (Crosby,Giroux,Timononen,Letang,Hartnell,Adams,etc )
Sharks/Blues had a line brawl/scrum at the end of game 2 if I remember.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:12 AM
Megahab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo View Post
really megan, you are shocked? After all these years of being allowed it still baffles you?
Megan? I meant that sometimes, when I think about it, I am surprised that fighting was even allowed in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eva unit zero View Post
Fighting is not allowed. It's a penalty. Penalty=action not allowed.

I'm seriously amused at the "should we stop allowing fighting" type stuff" when fighting is a PENALTY. A behavior that is NOT ALLOWED. \
Obviously, when people say fighting is allowed in hockey, they mean that all you get usually is a penalty, rather than multiple game suspensions like other sports. Also, it's allowed in the sense that referees don't try to break it up right away.

I enjoy watching fighting in hockey as much as the next guy, but it's not the reason I watch. If they got rid of it, it wouldn't affect my enjoyment of the sport at all. It always seemed like a trashy part of the game.

Megahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:13 AM
iPunch
Leafs Fan

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMVINNY View Post
Punch Imlach was coach the last time the Leafs won the cup.

Last edited by iPunch: 03-07-2013 at 02:54 AM.
iPunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:14 AM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid56 View Post
No other major team sport allows fighting. You know this.

Does NHL hockey allow fighting because it isn't confident that it will be sufficiently popular without it?

I watched a fight in the Ottawa-Toronto match just barely into the game. The fight had nothing to do with the game. It was just a show.

The player knocked out probably excited some viewers, but a very few were turned off. And that includes me. When I watch an NHL fight, if the fighters just do their thing without any significant damage, I can handle it. But what I saw in that game made me turn the channel.

Yes, I know you want me to find another sport such as curling.

But I've been watching hockey since the days of Henri Richard, and I don't want to watch anymore.

But I know I am a tiny minority, so please ignore my post.
Must have hated Maurice.

Anyways, I do agree that the fight tonight where the dude got knocked out didn't need to happen and served little purpose.

However, getting rid of fighting just enables people like Raffi Torres to run around like idiots, which puts far more gate attractions on LTIR than Fraser Mclaren's knuckles ever will.

Edit: in other words, you're asking the wrong question. "Why does hockey tolerate fighting" is like seeing a fly buzz an elephant and asking why there's a fly.

The better question is why does hockey cultivate and encourage rats.

billybudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:15 AM
compile

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
BINGO Without fighting you may as well put on a tutu and watch ballet because you take out fighting THAT is what you will turn hockey into and the thought of that makes me SICK. Hockey is a TOUGH game NOT a game for *******.
Rugby > football > hockey when it comes to TOUGH.

Only 1 of the 3 allows fighting. 1 of the 3 is the wealthiest league in the world.

compile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:16 AM
compile

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybudd View Post
Must have hated Maurice.

Anyways, I do agree that the fight tonight where the dude got knocked out didn't need to happen and served little purpose.

However, getting rid of fighting just enables people like Raffi Torres to run around like idiots, which puts far more gate attractions on LTIR than Fraser Mclaren's knuckles ever will.
Or those players wouldn't be in the line up at all and you'd see more talented players??

Old
03-07-2013, 02:16 AM
Honour Over Glory

Quote:
Rugby > football > hockey when it comes to TOUGH.

Only 1 of the 3 allows fighting. 1 of the 3 is the wealthiest league in the world.
NHL plays 82 games, multiple times against some teams and that builds a heated rivlary that goes on in that long of a season. You have people skating much faster than these guys can run, hitting each other into boards, etc. Things are going to happen, it's going to set people off. It's a fast game, physical and it's a long season where if you are lucky, you play 100+ in a full season+playoffs. Guys chirp each other, hits are sometimes dirty, you have sticks that get caught or hit someone, etc. In Football and Rugby, what's going to happen? Whip the ball at someone and then set people off? Hockey is just so different, you can't compare them at all. Each sport has their tough guys though, a rugby fan is going to say they are the toughest, football fan is going to vouch for his, etc. So let's stay away from that if you want to be taken seriously.

Rugby and Football are different sports. The pace they are played at and the way it's played is just completely different. You can't compare the NHL to any sport out there. It's comparing an Apple to a cheeseburger. Not even in the same food group.

Honour Over Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:17 AM
Affinity

I don't remember the last time I saw a fight that wasn't staged. Getting tiresome I'd much rather spend that time watching actual hockey.

Affinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:21 AM
compile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honour Over Glory View Post
NHL plays 82 games, multiple times against some teams and that builds a heated rivlary that goes on in that long of a season.

Rugby and Football are different sports. The pace they are played at and the way it's played is just completely different. You can't compare the NHL to any sport out there. It's comparing an Apple to a cheeseburger. Not even in the same food group.
Yes because hockey is the only sport where there is heated rivalry. Lol.

Btw rugby is a lot more violent then hockey, and its constant, there are no stoppages. There is no equipment besides cleats. There are a ton of illegal hits a game and no one fights ( you get the occasional one).

Old
03-07-2013, 02:23 AM
compile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
I don't remember the last time I saw a fight that wasn't staged. Getting tiresome I'd much rather spend that time watching actual hockey.
Just wait for retraction. 99% of these useless players (I won't call them hockey players because there is only a handful that can actually play) will be gone.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:31 AM
TheLegendkiller

No need to fight in rugby when you can just stomp on somebody's face. And they've already ********* football to no end. Football in the 80s and 90s was so much better. I HATE the fact that those games don't get chippy.

And no, they shouldn't ban fighting. In hockey, more than any other sport, there's somebody that always needs to get their ass kicked. You don't like it? Too ****in bad. Most of the fans like it, so it's here to stay.

TheLegendkiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:46 AM
Lobstertainment

Send a message via MSN to Lobstertainment
It's part of the game, I feel bad for the Sens player who was knocked out, but we're not going to eliminate good clean hits because someone gets knocked out from those.

Lobstertainment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:57 AM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
I don't remember the last time I saw a fight that wasn't staged.
Chara VS Emelin

Actually, not really a fight. It was more Chara punching a player with metallic plates in his face and who could lose an eye and get a career ending injury if someone punches him in the face like that. And then you also had Emelin, trying not to look like a p***y in front of the biggest player in the NHL and trying to land a few punches too.

"Hockey" and sportsmanship at their best.

DDs not undersized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:07 AM
fireworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Chara VS Emelin

Actually, not really a fight. It was more Chara punching a player with metallic plates in his face and who could lose an eye and get a career ending injury if someone punches him in the face like that. And then you also had Emelin, trying not to look like a p***y in front of the biggest player in the NHL and trying to land a few punches too.

"Hockey" and sportsmanship at their best.

Not actually the topic. The topic is about hockey fights. This is a perfect example of why their should be fighting in hockey. Player A executes dirty stick play and Player B makes him accountable for his actions - metallic face or not....

Without fighting, maybe Seguin or another Bruin player wants revenge and performs a dirty play with his stick on Emelin or another hab player??

Chara dealt with it like a true captain. Yes, you won the game. Congrats! With fighting in the game...hopefully Emelin will learn not to pull that ******** next time against the Bruins.

fireworks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:27 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
And I raise you the Flyers-Pens series and Rangers-Sens series in the last playoffs. No stage fighting but plenty of fights and it was the best two series of the last few years. There was everything in those games.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:34 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
I guess no one here watches Olympic hockey nor NHL playoff games.

Shame it's pretty damn entertaining.
I like chocolate ice scream and vanilla ice cream, please don't take one away from me. Get it? Variety.

Most of us view the Olympics and the NHL as different beasts and enjoy them cause they are different.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:42 AM
tp71
Enjoy every sandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by droid56 View Post
No other major team sport allows fighting. You know this.
For the millionth damn time, no the NHL, nor hockey allows fighting to occur. You get a 5 minute major for fighting. If it was "allowed" as you say, then you would get up, put your gloves back on, pick up your stick and skate back to the bench.

Scoring is allowed. Checking is allowed. Passing and shooting are allowed. You don't get penalties for those (granting that the check is a legal one), you get a penalty for fighting. It is already banned, ie. not allowed.

tp71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:56 AM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Actually hockey is more safer with fighting. Imagine if there is no fighting and your teammate throws a big check and hurts the guy, I'd rather have them legally confront the hitter instead of taking runs at him into the boards causing a more serious injury, knock outs are rare and fights are less dangerous than a board. So I think fighting makes the game more cleaner. Taking it out will make it very dirty and risky.

Also Rugby>= hockey >football. Football isn't nearly as physical andeexplosive as hockey.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote