HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Dany Heatley to the Penguins at the deadline.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:12 PM
MastuhNinks

vCash: 500
Dany Heatley to the Penguins at the deadline.

This is an interesting idea I think... Everyone talks about Iggy going to the Penguins (rightfully so, I would love to see this happen), but I think Heatley would be a pretty good fit too. This is a guy that is only a few years removed from being one of the NHL's best snipers (50, 41, 39 and 39 goals from 2005-2006 to 2009-2010) and he isn't terrible now, 50 goals combined in his past two seasons, on pace for 31 goals this season.

It's a low risk move, Heatley's contract only has 1 more year after this one (and he could always be bought out at the end of the season, right?), and it could really pay off.

If the Wild are out of the race come trade deadline time, or they aren't looking like a team that could potentially contend, what do you think Minnesota would want?

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:17 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
I personally don't want him unless it's dirt cheap, which I guess it wouldn't. Plus, I don't see Minny trading him for anything but overpayment.

Not good trading partners in my opinion. We might see a trade involving Seto or Clutterbuck though.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:20 PM
ObsessedCreative
I hate Dan Bylsma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MastuhNinks View Post
This is an interesting idea I think... Everyone talks about Iggy going to the Penguins (rightfully so, I would love to see this happen), but I think Heatley would be a pretty good fit too. This is a guy that is only a few years removed from being one of the NHL's best snipers (50, 41, 39 and 39 goals from 2005-2006 to 2009-2010) and he isn't terrible now, 50 goals combined in his past two seasons, on pace for 31 goals this season.

It's a low risk move, Heatley's contract only has 1 more year after this one (and he could always be bought out at the end of the season, right?), and it could really pay off.

If the Wild are out of the race come trade deadline time, or they aren't looking like a team that could potentially contend, what do you think Minnesota would want?
Are the wild prepared to retain and eat about 3 million dollars of his salary and he is still coming dirt cheap?! Prob. not I really want no part of this guy since he has another year on that terrible deal.

ObsessedCreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:24 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Don't want one more year of 7.5m. Sorry.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 05:25 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensBandwagonerNo272 View Post
I personally don't want him unless it's dirt cheap, which I guess it wouldn't. Plus, I don't see Minny trading him for anything but overpayment.

Not good trading partners in my opinion. We might see a trade involving Seto or Clutterbuck though.
Unless they eat half that atrocious cap hit, what wouldn't be an overpayment for that guy?

Old
03-06-2013, 05:30 PM
MastuhNinks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorstenFrings View Post
Unless they eat half that atrocious cap hit, what wouldn't be an overpayment for that guy?
They have the cap space now and could just use the compliance buy-out in the summer if things don't work out in Pittsburgh. I think having a guy with his shot with Crosby would be huge.

MastuhNinks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:32 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
They have the cap space now and could just use the compliance buy-out in the summer if things don't work out in Pittsburgh. I think having a guy with his shot with Crosby would be huge.
Yeah, so I ask again, what exactly would not be an overpayment for the privilige of giving someone else's player millions to go away in a few months?

Old
03-06-2013, 06:36 PM
PensBandwagonerNo272
the march

vCash: 450
Overpayment being a decent pick and or prospect coming back. Nothing crazy, but not a 5th rounder either.

Something we wouldn't give up, basically.

PensBandwagonerNo272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 06:57 PM
wej20

If he was an UFA, I'd kick the tyres but 7.5 million next year with a lower cap? No Thanks.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:02 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:

Anytime you spend 7.5 million per on a guy that should be better than what he is, its a high risk - certainly not low. Let him be bought out and then sign him for what he is worth - 4-4.5 million. This is a pass, even if its for one year. The cap goes down, not up.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:05 PM
Dylonus

I want no part in that overpaid egotistical underachiever. I'd go for Gaborik long before I'd even consider Heatley

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:52 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

Looks like Pitt fans have reached a consensus. A Wild fan didn't even have to respond. This was fun.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:48 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
Looks like Pitt fans have reached a consensus. A Wild fan didn't even have to respond. This was fun.
As a Pens fan, I'd take a shot if the price/situation was right. We shouldn't have cap issues next year, so we should be able to add him (unless RS is planning an offseason FA signing). He may be on the decline, but he also could excel with Sid or Geno (which could be said for anyone). He's on pace for around 20 goals in a shortened season.

As for the situation, only if we couldn't get anyone else and the asking price was low. I wouldn't pass on someone else to get Heatley, but if the time comes and we don't have a better option and we aren't giving up a top prospect I'd be all for it.

He isn't the type of player I think we need (physical with defensive ability) at all, but he could bump up our offense. Like I said, circumstances would just have to all align for me being ok with it, but I'd rather this than nothing.

PensFan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:45 AM
SensTopLine

You pair anyone up with Crosby and they will light it up. After all, Heatley is a *** All-Star you know!?

SensTopLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:27 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
As a Pens fan, I'd take a shot if the price/situation was right. We shouldn't have cap issues next year, so we should be able to add him (unless RS is planning an offseason FA signing). He may be on the decline, but he also could excel with Sid or Geno (which could be said for anyone). He's on pace for around 20 goals in a shortened season.

As for the situation, only if we couldn't get anyone else and the asking price was low. I wouldn't pass on someone else to get Heatley, but if the time comes and we don't have a better option and we aren't giving up a top prospect I'd be all for it.

He isn't the type of player I think we need (physical with defensive ability) at all, but he could bump up our offense. Like I said, circumstances would just have to all align for me being ok with it, but I'd rather this than nothing.
Heatley would be eating up a BIG chunk of that cushion, enough so you really can't much more. The cap is coming down, so the cushion isn't as big as you think it will be. You don't resign Kennedy. You give Dupes and Cooke 1.3 to 1.5 each and see if they take it. They are valuable to the Pens. You don't have big decisions, but you have some valuable pieces to think about. We still need to add on the blueline, a physical veteran IMO as well. Unless the Wild are paying 3-3.5 million of that contract, its not worth the return. Heatley could be productive in Pittsburgh because he has skill. That said, he could be a huge bust as well - sort of like he has been for the Wild.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:20 AM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

So, just boredly wondering this, but if Heatley got dealt to the Pens with the Wild eating 50% of the salary and then proceeds to play like *******, can he still be bought out in the summer?
And would they be buying out 50% at 2/3 and he still gets the other 50% from MIN? And if surprisingly enough he plays well enough that the Pens don't mind the ~4m for another year too much, can MIN buy their share out.

IN short: Is it possible to use the compliance buyout on players with retained salary transactions? And is it possible only for the team currently employing the player or can you buyout the retained salary cap hit as well?

Old
03-07-2013, 07:27 AM
NastyNick

Kunitz is really on fire playing with Sid. Neal is solid with Malkin. It doesn't make a lot of sense to throw all your cap space into fixing something that isn't broke.

The Penguins issue right now is defense and grit. Heatley brings neither.

NastyNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:33 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNick View Post
Kunitz is really on fire playing with Sid. Neal is solid with Malkin. It doesn't make a lot of sense to throw all your cap space into fixing something that isn't broke.

The Penguins issue right now is defense and grit. Heatley brings neither.
If the top six forward isn't available for a good price; upgrade your third line and get TK out of there and get a nice physical stay at home Dman. I still say we need a top six forward that solves a long term solution, but not Heatley. Too expensive; too much of an enigma.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:24 AM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

Heatley and Cooke on the same team would make those Ottawa games pretty interesting.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:00 PM
Kris Chreider
#Bickel4Norris

Why, oh why did we trade Havlat for him.

I mean, I guess I was excited when I heard it happened since Heatley was still something back then but now....

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Digitalbooya
Harding is Superman!

vCash: 3385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
Why, oh why did we trade Havlat for him.

I mean, I guess I was excited when I heard it happened since Heatley was still something back then but now....
Heatley is putting up more points than Havlat is while also being on a team that has a shakier offense. The PMB-Granlund-Heatley line has looked great imo.

Digitalbooya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:15 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezzaPuempelPerry View Post
You pair anyone up with Crosby and they will light it up. After all, Heatley is a *** All-Star you know!?
Heatley is a ****in' All-Star, but that first sentence isn't true (although most of what i'm talking about involved Malkin instead of Crosby): Tangradi, Jeffrey, Kennedy, Glass, and Boychuk didn't work with Malkin/Crosby this year.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:22 PM
drizzydrew22*

Quote:

I dont see how this would work out for the pens... they dont need another huge contract for this year and the next and giving up prospects and picks to get him would just be stupid, hes another left handed shot (something the pens dont need) and isnt a good locker room figure... No thanks

drizzydrew22* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:34 PM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
Heatley is a ****in' All-Star, but that first sentence isn't true (although most of what i'm talking about involved Malkin instead of Crosby): Tangradi, Jeffrey, Kennedy, Glass, and Boychuk didn't work with Malkin/Crosby this year.
If you want to say he has been to four All-Star Games - go ahead. That is true. To say he is a ****in' All-Star today is inaccurate. Its been three or four years since he was one. He isn't the same player he was when he went to the all-star games.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:37 PM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
If you want to say he has been to four All-Star Games - go ahead. That is true. To say he is a ****in' All-Star today is inaccurate. Its been three or four years since he was one. He isn't the same player he was when he went to the all-star games.
Look up... look up... there, that's the joke going over your head...

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote