HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

If Tretiak is the greatest of all time

Old
03-05-2013, 08:42 PM
Big Phil

vCash: 500
I am assuming we are coming to the conclusion that Tretiak was NOT the best goalie of all-time? Because that is the case here. I really don't know what the OP was asking and if it was serious. I am assuming if it were serious then he is assuming that Myshkin could be considered nearly as great if Tretiak is ranked that high. I will say this, Myshkin was a fine goalie. He stymied Team NHL in the Challenge Cup in Game 3 6-0. That was Myshkin, not Tretiak. Had some good moments in the 1984 Canada Cup as well after Tretiak retired. Likely would have made the NHL too. It is a short list when it comes to Russian great goalies, but he is one of them.

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:27 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcurrie View Post
Ed Belfour is the 7th best, so Roman Turek is the 27th best. So is Manny Fernandez. They're tied.
No you're wrong about Fernandez. He is tied with Tim Thomas becouse they together won the Jennings once, for the lowest GA in the league. They were a tandem.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:41 AM
Yamaguchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Morris View Post
Then, in theory shouldn't Myshkin his backup be in the top 20?

Myshkin was certainly top 20 when he was Tretiak's backup (even top 10 if you remember his stellar performance at the Challenge Cup 79). It's hard to judge about his the all-time ranking, though

Yamaguchi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:56 AM
Chalupa Batman
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaguchi View Post
Myshkin was certainly top 20 when he was Tretiak's backup (even top 10 if you remember his stellar performance at the Challenge Cup 79). It's hard to judge about his the all-time ranking, though
That's what we are talking about.

Chalupa Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 12:21 PM
Yamaguchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco MacArthur View Post
That's what we are talking about.
OK, then I think Myshkin is No 19 at the all-time list. I'd squeeze him between Turk Broda (No 18) and Andy Moog (No 20).

Old
03-07-2013, 05:52 AM
VMBM

People really need to watch the 3rd game of the 1979 Challenge Cup again. Myshkin did NOT have to do anything special; yes, he shut out the NHL All-Stars, which sounds very impressive, but Team NHL had about 2 or 3 real scoring chances in the game.

A good goalie nevertheless!

Edit:
This is what Myshkin himself said after the 1979 Challenge Cup game:
Quote:
When Tikhonov told me I was going to play at the morning practice (before the final game) I was very excited. But, I think the NHL didn't shoot as much as I expected and they were not too accurate. I just tried to stop the puck when it came near the goal - and I didn't realize the crowd was yelling for me.

Last edited by VMBM: 03-07-2013 at 06:39 AM. Reason: shout --> shut
VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:09 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaguchi View Post
OK, then I think Myshkin is No 19 at the all-time list. I'd squeeze him between Turk Broda (No 18) and Andy Moog (No 20).
His all-time ranking is hard to judge -> conclusion: he is one of the top 20 goaltenders of all times. A no-brainer for sure.

Theokritos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:38 AM
Yamaguchi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
His all-time ranking is hard to judge -> conclusion: he is one of the top 20 goaltenders of all times. A no-brainer for sure.

to be accurate - top 19!