HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey without fighting.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:02 AM
ziggo66

vCash: 500
Gotta love the crowd that says that the number of fights in the playoffs compared to the regular season should tell you something about the importance of fighting. Until 1988 the playoffs always had more fighting than the regular season. That tells you something about the roots of the game and how far we've come today.
Yes, I am talking about some marketing geniuses who, at the time of the year when they think they can make the most money, change hockey to something it isn't.

ziggo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:37 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMVINNY View Post
Doesn't matter if it only happens once a season. That kid now has a brain injury that could affect his quality of life from now on.
So? There is a great deal of risk in most pro-sports. I have seen plenty of head and neck injuries in soccer, broken legs and lost teeth. And that is a sport that is far from as physical as hockey. You can not eliminate all the injuries from the game and make it watchable. And hockey fights dont often lead to any serious injuries. Sure, the kid got knocked out and now suffers from a concussion but he knew what he was getting in to when he laced up and decided to drop the gloves. I dont feel sorry for him other then it sucks seeing a person gets injured. Very few players are ever forced in to fighting.

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:40 AM
Karl Pilkington

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireworks View Post
Not actually the topic. The topic is about hockey fights. This is a perfect example of why their should be fighting in hockey. Player A executes dirty stick play and Player B makes him accountable for his actions - metallic face or not....

Without fighting, maybe Seguin or another Bruin player wants revenge and performs a dirty play with his stick on Emelin or another hab player??

Chara dealt with it like a true captain. Yes, you won the game. Congrats! With fighting in the game...hopefully Emelin will learn not to pull that ******** next time against the Bruins.
Most have a caveman's mindset

Karl Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:49 AM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
Fighting is a part of the game. I think it keeps the players honest.
Dirty hits, Borderline plays, running the goalie, all that deserves a reaction and should always be part of the game.

But I am sick and tired of those staged fights. Goon A vs Goon B. What is the point of that? Watching two dudes on skates demolish their brains only for entertainment value? If I want to see something like that I watch boxing. That is a hell lot more entertaining than watching two guys on skates awkwardly punch each other for 40 seconds....

JoemAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:49 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMVINNY View Post
Doesn't matter if it only happens once a season. That kid now has a brain injury that could affect his quality of life from now on.
And guys who climb mountains or drive race cars can die. Every day people make choices that don't turn out well, in retrospect. I can assure you everyone who drops the gloves knows that can happen,

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:20 AM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
He was a willing participant. It's not like McLaren jumped him. These are the risks you take when you drop the gloves with a heavyweight. Nothing to see here.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:33 AM
FrankBoothSexyTime

If you've never played hockey before I could see how it would look barbaric and pointless, but if you have played it just kind of makes sense. Tensions run extremely high on the ice/bench and it's a (relatively) safe way to ease that tension.

FrankBoothSexyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:39 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

I see no reason why fighting is promoted in hockey, it makes no sense. I'm not talking about physical play, but fighting. If tensions overflow and two guys go at it thats one thing, but having to have fighting as an integral part of the game doesn't make any sense any more.

Love the physical element, hate fighting.

RazielMoshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:26 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by compile View Post
You fight in a playoff game it's an automatic game misconduct.
Quote:
I don't recall a fight happening in the playoffs in a very long time. Refresh my memory please, also it's an automatic game misconduct, which means the NHL doesn't want fighting in the post season.

Olympic hockey only sucks when your team doesn't win anything. How you can say an event that has the best players in the world playing in it sucks is beyond me.

That is the dumbest thing I have ever read on here.
Quote:
Do you get a game misconduct for fighting in the playoffs? Is that player code or NHL rule?
Why is no one correcting this guy? Fighting does not garner an automatic game misconduct in the playoffs, it's 5 minutes just like in the regular season.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:27 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by droid56 View Post
No other major team sport allows fighting. You know this.

Does NHL hockey allow fighting because it isn't confident that it will be sufficiently popular without it?

I watched a fight in the Ottawa-Toronto match just barely into the game. The fight had nothing to do with the game. It was just a show.

The player knocked out probably excited some viewers, but a very few were turned off. And that includes me. When I watch an NHL fight, if the fighters just do their thing without any significant damage, I can handle it. But what I saw in that game made me turn the channel.

Yes, I know you want me to find another sport such as curling.

But I've been watching hockey since the days of Henri Richard, and I don't want to watch anymore.

But I know I am a tiny minority, so please ignore my post.

Fighting has been in the game since wayyyyy before people worried about what was popular on TV.

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:28 AM
johnny_rudeboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootKnight View Post
Why is no one correcting this guy? Fighting does not garner an automatic game misconduct in the playoffs, it's 5 minutes just like in the regular season.
Husch husch, you are ruining the fun

johnny_rudeboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:30 AM
Random Oracle

vCash: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankBoothSexyTime View Post
If you've never played hockey before I could see how it would look barbaric and pointless, but if you have played it just kind of makes sense. Tensions run extremely high on the ice/bench and it's a (relatively) safe way to ease that tension.
I think you mean if you have played hockey in a league where fighting is permitted. I don't think there's essentially any fighting in European junior leagues, and fighting can be quite rare in adult leagues as well. I haven't followed SM-liiga very closely, but it seems that fights have dramatically dropped after a very highly publicized incident before the start of the season that lead to charges being pressed against a Jokerit player. I do understand that fighting is a part of the North American hockey culture, but I also know for a fact that there is hockey without fighting.

Random Oracle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:33 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
If you remove fighting, the injuries get worse and the players would get suspended everyday.

Let's say a player lays a dirty hit on your team...the rules say you can't fight anymore, what is the team going to do?

They will lay a dirty hit back on him. It's much better to just answer the bell.

Every fight is "staged" because most fighters respect each other and ask in advance if they want to go or not.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:47 AM
madinsomniac

Let me be clear... I am a fan of hockey fights, but I know within 20 years it will be gone from the game. Liability and legal issues will finally catch up with the NHL. My guess will be that after someone accidentally dies during a fight (probably due to a heart condition or fluky hit to the head) some jerk politician will apply the rules that govern a state or province's pro fighting industry to the NHL and that will effectivly kill it in some areas... that or the NHL will get sued by a family member and knee jerk pull the plug on fighting.

madinsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:54 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madinsomniac View Post
Let me be clear... I am a fan of hockey fights, but I know within 20 years it will be gone from the game. Liability and legal issues will finally catch up with the NHL. My guess will be that after someone accidentally dies during a fight (probably due to a heart condition or fluky hit to the head) some jerk politician will apply the rules that govern a state or province's pro fighting industry to the NHL and that will effectivly kill it in some areas... that or the NHL will get sued by a family member and knee jerk pull the plug on fighting.
How can you enact a law to ban fighting in the NHL when there are teams in 16 states, 1 district and 5 provinces? All of these would have to pass the same law...

The only way to ban fighting is for the NHL to do it. Granted there might be some pressure by politicians.

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:04 AM
LukeD
On Fire

I'm fine with fighting if it comes from real emotion, like if a goon roughs up your star player, or if there's 2 players that just do not like each other. But these staged fights are so silly and pointless.

LukeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:11 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by madinsomniac View Post
So the UFC and boxing will be gone about the same time? Boxers have died in the ring and yet nothing has changed. And don't say that, unlike boxing or ufc, fighting is not an intergral part of the game in the NHL and is thus dispensable. The beast that many if the nancies pine for ( a NHL without fighting) has never existed, is not supported by the league, former players and about 95 out of a hundred players.

Hockey and all professional sports are forms of entertainment, none of it is essential.

Geez another " getting rid of fighting" thread on hfboards, according to my calculations that must mean its Thursday.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:12 AM
FrankBoothSexyTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Oracle View Post
I think you mean if you have played hockey in a league where fighting is permitted. I don't think there's essentially any fighting in European junior leagues, and fighting can be quite rare in adult leagues as well. I haven't followed SM-liiga very closely, but it seems that fights have dramatically dropped after a very highly publicized incident before the start of the season that lead to charges being pressed against a Jokerit player. I do understand that fighting is a part of the North American hockey culture, but I also know for a fact that there is hockey without fighting.
ahh yes, fighting wasn't permitted in any league i've played in but they happened nonetheless, and they were preferable to some of the nasty hits and cheap shots that would also occasionally occur.

FrankBoothSexyTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:13 AM
M Gaz
Gogo Yubari

If you get rid of fighting, you might as well get rid of hitting. You'd have guys getting suspended every week for going after another player after a bad hit.

I don't get it. Everyone is here was always like "This is hockey. Be a man". Now Staal gets hurt and seemingly everyone is clamoring for full cages and no fighting. This is ridiculous.

M Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:21 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeD View Post
I'm fine with fighting if it comes from real emotion, like if a goon roughs up your star player, or if there's 2 players that just do not like each other. But these staged fights are so silly and pointless.
You know that the home team gets the last change, right? So when a coach at home sees the opposing coach send out his tough and taps the shoulder of his heavy to line up besides him, he must be appalled at what transpires next. Oh the barbarity? It came out of nowhere, no one could have predicted that would happen!

When people say staged fights are pointless or useless what they really mean is that they don't understand why the fight occurred then. I'm pretty sure the coach does understand why he sends certain guys out to do this job. Coaches do things all the time that don't make obvious sense to me ( with line pairings, time outs etc) but that's why I'm behind a tablet and they are behind a bench.

Failure to understand the rationale for something that you also lack the full context for does not defacto make it stupid or useless.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:23 AM
RattleYourSabre

I'm quite torn on the issue as well, actually.

Like any red-blooded male, I enjoy seeing a good battle on the ice. I was at an Amerks game against Hamilton and pretty much all ten guys on the ice were in a nice little brawl. The penalty boxes were full. It was all sorts of awesome.

On the other hand, saying hockey wouldn't be as good without fighting is a bit silly, too. I watch hockey because I like hockey. The fighting part is a fun little bonus. Which is why I'm torn. While the fights are a ton of fun to watch, anyone who actually enjoys the game should be able to enjoy hockey without the fighting.

So... Yeah... I'm pretty neutral to the issue.

RattleYourSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:31 AM
Fozz

I'd like to see 2 things:

- Eliminate staged fights at the drop of the puck. They make the sport look ridiculous. If a fight happens as a result of a play, I'm fine with it, but when 2 goons that have next to no impact on the game otherwise decide to give a 'show', I would throw them out of the game pronto.
- Instruct the referees to move in a stop the fight as soon as one of the belligerents looses his helmet. It's only a matter of time before someone falls on the head and doesn't get up. Besides, removing the helmet and punching the back of the head of someone else is both stupid and goes against the essence of fighting in sports.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:32 AM
Heh

I like hockey without fights. But...
to ban fights altogether one must realize why brawls happen: mostly after a dangerous play or an unpunished foul.
So, before banning fights, there is a need to start elsewhere:

the referees have to be consistent and strict and the league (greetings mr. Shanahan) has to accurately and justly tackle dangerous hits, dirty fouls etc.: suspensions, fines. Detailed analysis of each incident, and explanation of each decision. (Yes, this happens now, but it is far from effective.)

if this happens, the need for fights "in revenge" will be reduced.

Since I am aware of the condition I have just set up, fights will not disappear, since NHL enables, advocates and justifies severe injuries and damaged players´ health.

Heh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:34 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

I think hockey can do without fighting. These are just thugs and goons no real talent

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:40 AM
shizno

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
I think hockey can do without fighting. These are just thugs and goons no real talent
Yea Benn and Thornton are talentless thugs!

shizno is offline   Reply With Quote