HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey without fighting.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:43 AM
MarchandMadness 63*

vCash: 500
If there was no fighting allowed in the NHL you would see more cheap shots and hitting from behind as well as more dangerous stick work,especially to star players. It's unfortunate what happened last night,but that's the risk NHL players have to take when they decide to drop the gloves.

MarchandMadness 63* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:43 AM
ShadowAngel

Send a message via ICQ to ShadowAngel
Are there staged fights? Maybe 2 players just hate each other and drop the gloves to fight it out. May do so at the start of the game, instead of waiting for what fans consider the "right moment". I don't see anything wrong with it.

Fighting belongs in Hockey.
Imagine the Red Wings - Avalance feud of the 90's without all the violence and fighting. No "Fight Night at the Joe's", no Roy - Osgood Brawl. Imagine those games without McCarthy and Lemieux absolutely hating each other.
Would people still talk about it, would all the books have been written, if it was "just" some fancy hockey of two talented teams? I don't think so.

ShadowAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:46 AM
MarchandMadness 63*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
How can you enact a law to ban fighting in the NHL when there are teams in 16 states, 1 district and 5 provinces? All of these would have to pass the same law...

The only way to ban fighting is for the NHL to do it. Granted there might be some pressure by politicians.
Politicians need to stay out of hockey.

MarchandMadness 63* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:47 AM
Bask
Embellishing User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi View Post
If you remove fighting, the injuries get worse and the players would get suspended everyday.

Let's say a player lays a dirty hit on your team...the rules say you can't fight anymore, what is the team going to do?

They will lay a dirty hit back on him. It's much better to just answer the bell.

Every fight is "staged" because most fighters respect each other and ask in advance if they want to go or not.
if you go with that argument the solution isnt fighting, the solution is Shanahan actually doing his job and punishing the players properly... dirty hit? 10 games and a 10 000$ fine TO THE TEAM, 2nd time? 25 games and a 25 000$ fine, etc etc

who cares about losing a goon for 3 games as it is right now, its pointless... this leagues needs a change of mentality IMO, and the only way to do that is to go straight to the organisations pocket

Bask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:47 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleYourSabre View Post
I'm quite torn on the issue as well, actually.

Like any red-blooded male, I enjoy seeing a good battle on the ice. I was at an Amerks game against Hamilton and pretty much all ten guys on the ice were in a nice little brawl. The penalty boxes were full. It was all sorts of awesome.

On the other hand, saying hockey wouldn't be as good without fighting is a bit silly, too. I watch hockey because I like hockey. The fighting part is a fun little bonus. Which is why I'm torn. While the fights are a ton of fun to watch, anyone who actually enjoys the game should be able to enjoy hockey without the fighting.

So... Yeah... I'm pretty neutral to the issue.
No one is forced to watch, don't like fights then avert your eyes or go to the concession stand.

If the idea is that a small vocal minority of fans can exert fundamental change of the game by incessant bellyaching about how one aspect of the game isn't to their liking, the league is screwed.

I don't like backhanded lifters. Hate them really. Really who scores on a backhanded lifter anymore? Mabey one every second or third game. So really, if you join my group HABS ( hockey affectionados know that backhanders suck) we can pepper the interwebs with appeals to get rid of that loathsome move because I've played in a beer league in which no one ever scored on a backhanded lifter, and let's face it I personally would find the game more personally aesthetically pleasing without it. We can recruit people who will never attend a game either way to decry the unnatural ness of a puck coming off the convex surface of the blade, and how such unnatural acts might negatively affect our impressionable youth. In phase two we will single out the players do score on backhands and tar them as stupid nonconformists who are not good enough to score with the concave side of the blade ( the way god intended it) who are intent on bringing down the game. I mean if your only observable talent is the backhanded lifter, we personally beleive that this is an indication of a serious character flaw and you should be held up for public ridicule.

If that evil act still continues and the players try to argue that the game has always had backhanded lifters, ignore it and simply repeat our talking points. If we keep repeating them often enough, they might actually become true. With your help, together we can rid the greatest game on earth of this scourge.

Yours in forehand,

Sandysan

Last edited by sandysan: 03-07-2013 at 07:51 AM. Reason: Error
sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:48 AM
RattleYourSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by stug View Post
Anyone that is against fighting in hockey i don´t consider fans of the sport.
I don't see any harm in defending fighting in the NHL, so I do see where you're coming from.

But, the game is taught to kids without the fighting. Even when they're older and checking comes into play, fighting is frowned upon. Fighting isn't a part of the game, it's an addition to it.

The sport itself doesn't involve fighting. You can be a fan of the sport and dislike fighting. You can also be a fan of the sport and enjoy fighting. I see both sides here.

RattleYourSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:51 AM
RattleYourSabre

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
No one is forced to watch, don't like fights then avert your eyes or go to the concession stand.
I hope you're saying "your" in general and not in regards to me. If you're saying it directly to me, you misread my post. I suggest you re-read it and attempt to make your point again.

I clearly said I'm neutral, and I enjoy fights. But I understand both points of view.

RattleYourSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:53 AM
PatriceBergeronrules

I enjoy a good scrap but not as much as the playoffs when there is no fighting. And the sport is most popular during the playoffs so if fighting was banished I don't think it will matter in the long run. The sport might lose some hardcore fans but will also pick up a few who now refuse to watch because of fighting.

I think fighting will be gone in a matter of years with the concussion issues. The NHL can't withstand the massive lawsuits that are coming to the NFL. Eliminating punches to the melon is going to be a matter of finances.

PatriceBergeronrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:53 AM
BROOKLYnKNIGHTS

Really fighting can be a reason why some people watch hockey or why hockey isnt taken as serious as the other major sorts

BROOKLYnKNIGHTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:55 AM
blamebettman*

I love fighting and I want more of it, staged or organic, who cares. I want mayhem on the ice and bench clearing brawls.

blamebettman* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:00 AM
bluetib

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
the typical pre-season game has lots of fights.

the typical regular season game has the occasional fight.

the typical playoff game has very, very little fighting.

Come to your own conclusions about what that means.
Why are they still fighting in the playoffs btw

What are the real reasons why people dislike fighting in hockey? Is it
because your team is not well equiped to face the situation?

Why do you care so much about others people brains, you should
maybe look into MMA and boxing or other contact sport?

bluetib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:02 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RattleYourSabre View Post
I hope you're saying "your" in general and not in regards to me. If you're saying it directly to me, you misread my post. I suggest you re-read it and attempt to make your point again.

I clearly said I'm neutral, and I enjoy fights. But I understand both points of view.
Not you, anyone who does not like fights. It's akin to going to an r rated movie and then feigning offense if the language goes blue or if there is fleeting gratuitous nudity.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:16 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchandMadness 63 View Post
Politicians need to stay out of hockey.
I completely agree.

ZARTONK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:18 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
If fighting was removed from the game, the same people who are clamoring for that change would be begging for it to come back with what would follow. Dirty plays, illegal hits, and brutal stickwork would increase immensely.

I have a suggestion for anyone who whines about having to watch a fight when they would rather "watch hockey". Suck it up. That is a part of hockey and always will be. If you don't like it, just wait a minute and the fight will be over.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:21 AM
kushcloud

fighting in hockey is a joke and last nights fight in toronto just proves it.
Its the reason why so many people consider hockey a joke.. remove these "tough guys" from the game and bring in players who actually know how to play hockey.

kushcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:22 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BROOKLYnKNIGHTS View Post
I think hockey can do without fighting. These are just thugs and goons no real talent
Right, because when Lecavalier and Iginla got in a fight, it was basically a staged fight between talentless bums.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:27 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushcloud View Post
fighting in hockey is a joke and last nights fight in toronto just proves it.
Its the reason why so many people consider hockey a joke.. remove these "tough guys" from the game and bring in players who actually know how to play hockey.
If fighting is removed, what's to stop a team from getting a bunch of Matt Cooks and have them run around with intent to injure the other teams star players?

The ability to make stupid hits with no retribution possible will lead to countless career ending injuries.

Not to mention, do you really think removing fighting from the game is like flipping a switch? It's would be impossible to straight up remove it in one shot.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:32 AM
Random Oracle

vCash: 121
Quote:
If fighting is removed, what's to stop a team from getting a bunch of Matt Cooks and have them run around with intent to injure the other teams star players?
The rules? Suspensions? What caused Matt Cooke to change his play style wasn't the threat of being forced to turtle against a fighter, it was the possibility of getting even longer suspensions and losing his paycheck.

Random Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:34 AM
kushcloud

Quote:

The ability to make stupid hits with no retribution possible will lead to countless career ending injuries.

Not to mention, do you really think removing fighting from the game is like flipping a switch? It's would be impossible to straight up remove it in one shot.
its simple players who intentionally injure other players are kicked out of the game.. and yes removing fighting is easy remove the tough guys who only know how to fight replace them with players who can play hockey and change the rules so that fighting results in a suspension.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:37 AM
Mickey Mouse

man..first everyone calling for suspensions after big hits and now this. wow

Mickey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Mouse View Post
man..first everyone calling for suspensions after big hits and now this. wow
Two minutes for a dirty look will shortly follow.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:40 AM
kushcloud

Quote:
Right, because when Lecavalier and Iginla got in a fight, it was basically a staged fight between talentless bums.
nobody called that a staged fight.. last night was an example of a staged fight there was no reason for the fight no emotion nothing i honestly dont understand how people say the team gets pumped up after seeing that.. its ruining the damn sport.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:41 AM
MetalheadPenguinsFan
Disco Is Dead!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Two minutes for a dirty look will shortly follow.
Followed by mandatory apologies to whomever said player glared/scowled at during postgame interviews.

MetalheadPenguinsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:42 AM
Icelevel
little bit better

There are different types of fights. If the OP is going to specify 'staged' fighting like the one that happened in the tor-ott game, then i agree. There is no reason and should be no place for that.

I was actually going to come and post that i respect Mclaren for looking genuinely concerned and apparently asking about Dziurzynski during the game. I can't imagine that anyone likes seeing a guy on any team go down like that. I know i don't.

Then i found out that Mclaren asked Dziurzynski to go right away, before the puck even dropped and Dziurzynski said no, but then decided to fight him anyway.

Quote:
McLaren, noting the Leafs had a flat start last time out, said he asked Dziurzynski to fight.

"I was just trying to get us going early. I asked him (to fight) and he actually said no, so I thought we weren't going to go and then he ended up dropping his stuff there when the puck dropped," he said
Dziurzynski is a rookie who has never fought in the NHL but is trying to show that he belongs here. I don't think he would have fought if Mclaren who is 250lbs and 6'5" wouldn't have challenged him. Dziurzynski being a bigger guy himself didn't want to back down and i understand the pride involved there.

That is exactly the kind of fight that, i agree, i do not want to watch.

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:44 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Oracle View Post
The rules? Suspensions? What caused Matt Cooke to change his play style wasn't the threat of being forced to turtle against a fighter, it was the possibility of getting even longer suspensions and losing his paycheck.
Are the rules and suspensions stopping players from hitting other guys to the head? boarding them? Are they stopping high sticks, knee on knee hits, or any other kind of dangerous play?

The fact that players still get suspensions is proof enough that fear of suspensions doesn't change a thing.

Granted, you can say the same about fighting too but it is my opinion that the fear of getting your ass kicked by the likes of Chris Neal is a bigger incentive to not take liberties on the ice than the fear of sitting on the press gallery for three games.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kushcloud View Post
its simple players who intentionally injure other players are kicked out of the game.. and yes removing fighting is easy remove the tough guys who only know how to fight replace them with players who can play hockey and change the rules so that fighting results in a suspension.
And who decides which players aren't good enough to stay in the NHL, do you put in place a point quota that the players have to reach to allow them to stay in the NHL?

And even if you do that, what's the next step, removing players that occasionally fight from the game too? Telling Chris Neal and Jarome Iginla that since they're physical players and have a tendency to fight that this league isn't for the anymore?