HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Hammer placed on waivers, claimed by NYR

Old
03-06-2013, 01:08 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Another McFailure done and gone...

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 01:12 PM
Capitlols

George sure knows how to pick his Dmen

Capitlols is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:09 PM
Koized

His play in last year's playoffs and the second half of the season was worth the contract IMO.

Koized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:51 PM
msrulo

This is not McPhee's, this is Oates work. Oates is a smart hockey guy, he knows why we didn't need him in the depth chart.

msrulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:46 AM
txpd

this thread is a hoot. hamrlik's play disappointed many who wanted him gone from almost the get go. now that he is on waivers mcphee is messing up. that the rangers took a player that so many thinks sucks horribly its further proof that mcphee sucks.

hehe.

speaking of....yes, older players often leave angry. knuble said that they would have to rip the uniform off of him before he would retire. those players are never happy when they lose their spot. detroit didnt want him either after bringing him in. kolzig and callejo and bondra were mentioned as angry when leaving and treated badly. oates demanded a trade when bringing in linden upset him. so he left angry.

but look where they are now?? back working for george. kolzig as a part timer. callejo as an assistant coach. bondra doing autographs. are you sure they were really that angry?

halpern didnt leave angry the first time. nor did witt. they left with the idea that the caps would not be competitive in the near term and in halpern's case he was offered a long term contract that everyone here said would have been a bad move for the caps to match anyway.

hannan left because he wanted a long term contract mcphee wouldnt offer. a contract it turned out that no nhl gm would offer. after a season in calgary and returning to the ufa market again no nhl team was offering a multi year deal and he signed a second cheap one year contract. so...mcphee scapegoated hime?? was he the scapegoat in calgary too?

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:00 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
Ok place your bets

Is the rusty Hammer going to fall on his face, embarrass himself up in NY? Fans, in an uproar?

Or, will he do just fine like in our playoffs last spring. Fans, very happy with the pickup.

I am going to say he does just fine, and that we lost the closest thing to an all situation LD we have right now. Sure his offense dried up over the decades, but at least he once had offense. Poti, or Erskine of all people, may prove me wrong. Both of them do not have natural offensive talents, they have to force it.

RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:20 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Ok place your bets

Is the rusty Hammer going to fall on his face, embarrass himself up in NY? Fans, in an uproar?

Or, will he do just fine like in our playoffs last spring. Fans, very happy with the pickup.

I am going to say he does just fine, and that we lost the closest thing to an all situation LD we have right now. Sure his offense dried up over the decades, but at least he once had offense. Poti, or Erskine of all people, may prove me wrong. Both of them do not have natural offensive talents, they have to force it.

I think he will be fine too. Its the right type of system for him. Roman is a good hockey player and Milbury totally nailed it last night when he said that Hamrlik is a guy who "you always seems to be able to give a little more but doesn't" or something like that.

The Caps system and the current surplus of good Dmen made him expendable. His play did not warrant being higher on the depth chart here but like all vets they seem to be able to rise their play at playoff time.

I also agree with Koized. His contract was worth it as he really did help immensely down the stretch last year and in the playoffs.

I hope he does well with the Rangers.

TX,

Good points. Older players, due to their competitive spirit, are not going to be happy upon departure in most cases.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:27 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

Hamrlik picked up off of waivers by the Rangers. Is this not the same Ranger team who last season (October 2011) must of felt that they had ample depth at the blue line so they traded Tomas Kundratek to the Caps for Francois Bouchard.

The worse thing about Hammer departing is that it means Jeff Schultz isn't going anywhere. Hammer > Schultz. Had GMGM moved Schultz, I believe they would have gotten a return of some type of asset, whereas nothing for Hammer. Additionally, Hammer was a pending UFA, Schultz still has a year remaining on his contract. For all the lock out chatter involving Hammer, the guy's experience, shot blocking ability and positioning even as slow as he was, was better than JFS. We'll never know the complete story, but there had to be some real bad blood between Hammer and some within the Caps organization for the way this ended.

Rangers are here on Sunday, so it should definitely be whoop whoop time for Hammer at the phone booth in the tradition of other departed d-men (Larry Murphy).

BTW today is the anniversary of the Mike Gartner/Larry Murphy trade to the North Stars for Dino Cicarelli and Bob Rouse.

Apparently hockey's waiver system does not work like baseball, where a team can pull a player back from waivers if they get a nibble and then try to negotiate or work a deal with the interested team.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:32 AM
BobRouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref9 View Post
Hamrlik picked up off of waivers by the Rangers. Is this not the same Ranger team who last season (October 2011) must of felt that they had ample depth at the blue line so they traded Tomas Kundratek to the Caps for Francois Bouchard.

The worse thing about Hammer departing is that it means Jeff Schultz isn't going anywhere. Hammer > Schultz. Had GMGM moved Schultz, I believe they would have gotten a return of some type of asset, whereas nothing for Hammer. Additionally, Hammer was a pending UFA, Schultz still has a year remaining on his contract. For all the lock out chatter involving Hammer, the guy's experience, shot blocking ability and positioning even as slow as he was, was better than JFS. We'll never know the complete story, but there had to be some real bad blood between Hammer and some within the Caps organization for the way this ended.

Rangers are here on Sunday, so it should definitely be whoop whoop time for Hammer at the phone booth in the tradition of other departed d-men (Larry Murphy).

BTW today is the anniversary of the Mike Gartner/Larry Murphy trade to the North Stars for Dino Cicarelli and Bob Rouse.

Apparently hockey's waiver system does not work like baseball, where a team can pull a player back from waivers if they get a nibble and then try to negotiate or work a deal with the interested team.
We don't know if Schultz was moveable. I mean he can't consistently crack our lineup and he does have another year left at 2.5 with the salary cap going down. Those things may have scared teams away.

Hamrlik who I agree is a better deal and player was more easily moveable and even him we couldn't get anything for. Can't blame GMGM on this one.

Clearly the anniversary of a good trade and a big one from the Caps standpoint. I still can't believe we traded Dino for Kevin Miller to save a few bucks. Abe really sucked. Should be thankful for Ted.

BobRouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:57 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

I bet Hammer struggles with the Rangers' system and is maligned by the fans in short order.

Not enough mobility anymore.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:04 AM
swimmer77
What's an ROW?

Maybe I'm wrong. I don't think there is "real bad blood" between Hamr and the organization. I'm thinking more like Hamrlik was extremely disappointed he had no real chance of getting into the lineup. Unless you want to call playing with a bunch of bobbleheads with a new coach and system a real chance in those first three games.

Poti was on the shelf when Hamrlik signed. I can understand the org. wanting to give Poti the benefit of the doubt. Schultz is "the project".

Reading between the lines of Oates' comments it seems Hamrlik remained a really good teammate despite the lack of playing time. He didn't mope and practiced hard (Poti said so). He helped Kundratek who also gave Hamr very high accolades. Sounds to me like Hamr went to his agent and to GMGM and they tried something to get him back on the ice. Perhaps it worked and everyone can move on.

I sincerely believe (I could be wrong) the right intentions were made when Hamr came to the Caps. He wants a Stanley Cup and thought this was a good chance. Little did he know he would get caught up in a whirlwind of coaches and Green being in and out of the lineup. Hamr was to be Green's mentor. It's hard to do that job when the guy doesn't play.

I remember Poti coming back and saying he wanted a fair shot and McPhee said they would "make the roster spot". The plan was to give Poti a couple of weeks and that's about when Hamr fully disappeared. It's how it turned out but I think the Caps could be in real trouble should they suffer a significant injury on the LD. It may have been a better idea to set the top four d-men and rotate that thirding pairing LD. Would that have worked and appeased Hamr - who knows.

And maybe I'm completely wrong.

swimmer77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:10 AM
tycoonheart

Quote:
Ok place your bets

He fits what the Rangers do with their defensemen. Turtle up and block shots. So I think he'll be fine.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:13 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Hammer is not mobile but Sarge Erskine Poti Hannan and many more across the league are not as well. These slow guys have been dealing with it their entire lives.

The benefit of being slow, blocks a ton of shots (cant get out of the way quickly enough) and are too slow to even get out of position. And we learned from watching Sarge Green for so long, the fast guy has to go get all the dumps and gets pummeled accordingly. The slow guy has it easy, he has no expectations.

Sarge with Hammer's current game duped George to the tune of 2.75M

Let's see if the ole crafty vet can fool a tough crowd up in NY

Old
03-07-2013, 09:17 AM
tycoonheart

There is slow and then there is Double Nickle slow. Its painful watching him labor to skate to the puck. I've gotten to the point where I'm filled with anger if I see Schultz on the ice. I hope we've seen the last of him.

tycoonheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:23 AM
BiPolar Caps
Emotionally Wounded!

We can look at some of the more recent departed Caps, who were not fleet of foot i.e. David Steckel and now Roman Hamrlik and find some aspects of their game that still had value to the Caps. Steckel was very good in the dot, Hamrlik shot blocking, I can't find one aspect of 55's game that is a positive.

BiPolar Caps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:27 AM
txpd

rh, yes. hamrlik did once have offense. so did poti. seems to me that the caps chose poti over hamrlik. who knows what the considerations were, but if they were going to keep one i am not sure that poti isnt the best choice. i think its clear that kundratek and poti changed the equation where hamrlik was concerned.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:28 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Hamr will fit in perfectly with the Rangers system. Torts is all about collapsing to the net and block shots in the defensive zone, and that's what Hamrlik excels at. He's going to be a massive pain to play against.

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00n View Post
If BB used the 1-3-1 as you described he didn't do it for long and he didn't do it right. It certainly wasn't memorable. He was definitely NOT doing it when the PP crashed and burned prior to the 8 game losing streak, when scoring first dried up after the MTL debacle, which was the year before last, not last year. 2 years ago, before the losing streak, you can review the film and see what I'm talking about.
He didn't use it two years ago, but he did use it last year. And it was plenty memorable if you were paying attention. Remember the whole "Ovechkin in the middle of the ice" period of the powerplay last year? That was Ovie in Brouwer's location in the 1-3-1. His goal against Philadelphia from this location was used as the Gamecenter Live commercial all of last year.

Quote:
And as I said, the criteria is 2 guys in the slot or around the net, not just in the slot. The idea is that there's more for the goalie and the 2 low PKers to keep track of and you have more options, provided your 3 high guys are good enough to control the puck, especially whoever's on the point.
There's really only one guy anywhere near the net or in the slot, Brouwer/Ward. The player in the corner rarely approaches the net, and typically stays wide to enable the cycle with the player on the halfboards.
Oates' powerplay still has issues. It was red hot for a while and everyone declared it "fixed." But a lot of the goals came in transition or from broken defensive plays, and not while the team was set-up. They still need better passing from Green/Carlson at the point, and need more motion on the powerplay.

Quote:
And it doesn't matter if the TB trap was overhyped. BB couldnt' break it. If it wasn't as tough as advertised, just that proves my point (and your agreeing with my point about BB's failure to adapt).
BB could break it. The 1-3-1 trap wasn't really what gave Boudreau and the Caps issues. It was when Boucher switched to the 2-1-2, the Caps couldn't get out of their own zone because they weren't prepared to breakout under pressure. They were still expecting the [0]-1-3-1 forecheck, and ended up being pinned back in the defensive zone (or turning the puck over) because they weren't ready for the heavy pressure Tampa was applying.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:34 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Tex I think offense came much more naturally to Hammer a 1 overall, than Poti. Poti brought the O at the request of his coaches, in an examiner interview stated he was a DD man first and foremost.

did you ever eat a big ole heaping of crow for Poti being "done"? While his play is far from dominant he appears to have surpassed Hammer and Sarge on the depth chart.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
surpassed Hammer and Sarge on the depth chart.
A deed for the history books.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:53 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
A deed for the history books.
Not bad when posters here were saying he was done.

And probably a few inside Kettler as well.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:13 AM
g00n
abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post
Hamr will fit in perfectly with the Rangers system. Torts is all about collapsing to the net and block shots in the defensive zone, and that's what Hamrlik excels at. He's going to be a massive pain to play against.

He didn't use it two years ago, but he did use it last year. And it was plenty memorable if you were paying attention. Remember the whole "Ovechkin in the middle of the ice" period of the powerplay last year? That was Ovie in Brouwer's location in the 1-3-1. His goal against Philadelphia from this location was used as the Gamecenter Live commercial all of last year.

There's really only one guy anywhere near the net or in the slot, Brouwer/Ward. The player in the corner rarely approaches the net, and typically stays wide to enable the cycle with the player on the halfboards.
Oates' powerplay still has issues. It was red hot for a while and everyone declared it "fixed." But a lot of the goals came in transition or from broken defensive plays, and not while the team was set-up. They still need better passing from Green/Carlson at the point, and need more motion on the powerplay.

BB could break it. The 1-3-1 trap wasn't really what gave Boudreau and the Caps issues. It was when Boucher switched to the 2-1-2, the Caps couldn't get out of their own zone because they weren't prepared to breakout under pressure. They were still expecting the [0]-1-3-1 forecheck, and ended up being pinned back in the defensive zone (or turning the puck over) because they weren't ready for the heavy pressure Tampa was applying.

Well I just flat out disagree with nearly everything you said, and WHICH trap BB couldn't break is a nitpick regarding his failure to adapt, so whatever. Moving Ovechkin to the slot to float for a few games as the rest of the team runs around is not the same as what Oates is doing, and BB/Hunter didn't do it for long. They kept moving Ovechkin to the point, and using 2 point men, and doing all kinds of crap (that is, when they could evne get set up because they had no clear entry plan).

Last edited by g00n: 03-07-2013 at 10:30 AM.
g00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:30 AM
Halpysback

What are we basing the "not enough mobility" thing on? 4 games this year when the whole team was skating through sand? Last year's playoffs when he was apparently mobile enough to be a very good defenseman for us?

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:10 AM
foundhockey
Pollyanna Sunshine

I'll miss Hamr.

foundhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:44 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Well I just flat out disagree with nearly everything you said, and WHICH trap BB couldn't break is a nitpick regarding his failure to adapt, so whatever. Moving Ovechkin to the slot to float for a few games as the rest of the team runs around is not the same as what Oates is doing, and BB/Hunter didn't do it for long. They kept moving Ovechkin to the point, and using 2 point men, and doing all kinds of crap (that is, when they could evne get set up because they had no clear entry plan).
I wouldn't say that highlighting the difference between an ultra passive 1-3-1 and an ultra aggressive 2-1-2 is nitpicking, especially with the puck movers being banged up.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:50 AM
g00n
abides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
I wouldn't say that highlighting the difference between an ultra passive 1-3-1 and an ultra aggressive 2-1-2 is nitpicking, especially with the puck movers being banged up.
Did BB adjust to break the trap? Yes or no.

(edit: remember, we're talking about a guy who said he didn't even see the value in line-matching)

g00n is offline   Reply With Quote