HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Goaltending prospect(s) to Pittsburgh

Old
03-07-2013, 02:14 AM
Honour Over Glory

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by couture23 View Post
Draft a goalie this year - problem solved. Comrie would be a great pick up in the second round. Or sign a goalie FA like with what the Sabres did with Andrey Makarov.
I don't think a lot of UFA goaltenders are either sought after by Shero and his scouts or they don't want to come to Pittsburgh because other teams have a goaltending situation that might let them fast track their career.

But then I look at the guys that were UFA's and none of them are in the NHL right now, out of the ones I wanted Shero to sign. Milner seems like a good start though, he's a little older than Murray and Maguire. I don't see Ray drafting another 2 goaltenders, maybe 1 if he still wants to add to the stable of goaltending prospects. But as it stands it's - Killeen, Maguire, and Murray for Pens drafted goaltenders. UFA - Thiessen & Zatkoff.

Vokoun has been rough the last few games, but to start the season, he was pretty solid. I think he needs to watch his tapes and get back on track and he will. I wouldn't be surprised if he's stellar in his next start and the "omg we need help here" panic fans that we have in every fan base, including our own for the Pens, are quiet until the next game he let's a few bad ones in.

Honour Over Glory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:42 AM
zaYG
Nerevarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by domaug View Post
that doesn't even look close
It isn't.

How about Svedberg + Cross for just Pouliot?

Or Svedberg + Bartkowski + 2nd (I'd be fine with a 1st tbh though) for Pouliot and Maata?

Or Svedberg + Cross for Maata + mid round pick?

zaYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:46 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaYG View Post
It isn't.

How about Svedberg + Cross for just Pouliot?

Or Svedberg + Bartkowski + 2nd (I'd be fine with a 1st tbh though) for Pouliot and Maata?

Or Svedberg + Cross for Maata + mid round pick?
why is Cross included? is he a defenseman? i ask because if he's a PMD, the Pens have plenty of those in the system so he wouldn't really be that much of a need.

seriously, though, if the Pens ever got into a goaltending bind where they needed another potential NHL goalie, i'd consider the last deal.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:59 AM
zaYG
Nerevarine

Quote:
why is Cross included? is he a defenseman? i ask because if he's a PMD, the Pens have plenty of those in the system so he wouldn't really be that much of a need.

seriously, though, if the Pens ever got into a goaltending bind where they needed another potential NHL goalie, i'd consider the last deal.
Complete opposite actually, he is a 100% stay at home guy. Figured you could use someone like him. Bartkowski is actually a bit better and also fits that stay at home guy (I don't believe he is as physical though) and I believe he is actually from the Pittsburgh area if that counts for anything.

Bruins could definitely use another higher end d-prospect. What is the deal with Maata now? Did he regress at all because he seemed to be one of the most hyped up d-prospects of last draft in spite of his lower spot of being picked.

Honestly though, what would it take to get Pouliot?

Old
03-07-2013, 09:07 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
Complete opposite actually, he is a 100% stay at home guy. Figured you could use someone like him. Bartkowski is actually a bit better and also fits that stay at home guy (I don't believe he is as physical though) and I believe he is actually from the Pittsburgh area if that counts for anything.

Bruins could definitely use another higher end d-prospect. What is the deal with Maata now? Did he regress at all because he seemed to be one of the most hyped up d-prospects of last draft in spite of his lower spot of being picked.

I don't want to trade a high touted D prospect for a goalie prospect. Don't think that is wise from my vantage point. Goalie prospects are a crap shoot to me.

Maatta certainly hasn't regressed. He dropped in the draft last year due to injury. If not for the injury he sustained, he would have certainly been a top 10 pick.

Pouliot, if he is available, he goes in a package for a long term solution for a top six forward - winger.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:08 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:

i think Maatta was coming off a concussion before the draft, so that affected his perceived value among the GMs. TSN had him as the #10 overall prospect for that draft, but they probably didn't consider his concussion when making their list.

about the bold part, probably an overpayment. Shero traded his first draft pick as the Pens GM so i'm guessing Pouliot was very high on his wish list. i'm not sure what exactly the Pens should ask for in a Pouliot trade but at this point i'd say he's untouchable. at this point, i think he and Harrington are the only true untouchables the Pens have among their defensive prospects.

Maatta and even Morrow/Despres, however, could probably be had for the right price, although i really like what Despres has done with the Pens this season. he seems like he could be a great two-way defenseman.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:11 AM
OCPenguin

Quote:
probably an overpayment. Shero traded his first draft pick as the Pens GM so i'm guessing Pouliot was very high on his wish list. i'm not sure what exactly the Pens should ask for in a Pouliot trade but at this point i'd say he's untouchable.

Maatta and even Morrow/Despres, however, could probably be had for the right price, although i really like what Despres has done with the Pens this season. he seems like he could be a great two-way defenseman.

I don't think Despres is available. It would be dumb to move him. He could easily be the replacement for Letang IF an extension can't be reached as long as he continues to develop. He has shown the ability when given playing time to thrive.

OCPenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:11 AM
zaYG
Nerevarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCPenguin View Post
I don't want to trade a high touted D prospect for a goalie prospect. Don't think that is wise from my vantage point. Goalie prospects are a crap shoot to me.

Maatta certainly hasn't regressed. He dropped in the draft last year due to injury. If not for the injury he sustained, he would have certainly been a top 10 pick.

Pouliot, if he is available, he goes in a package for a long term solution for a top six forward - winger.
Fair enough. I think you need to watch Svedberg though, I've seen him in person a couple of times. I do normally think that goalies are a crap shoot but the guy has elite physical ability and is one of the most agile goalies I have ever watched. He has stood on his head to carry Providence to being a top team in the AHL. The only thing he really lacks is rebound control, but he also has an awful d-corp in front of him that doesn't really make him look good in that regard. I think the kid could definitely cut it in the NHL as a backup. I do however think that this is more likely to be an offseason trade (I'm sure Chia wants all the youth down in Providence to go for the Calder, and we don't know where Khudobin will end up) and yeah, I figure he would be more likely to fetch a Maata than a Pouliot.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:16 AM
zaYG
Nerevarine

Quote:
i think Maatta was coming off a concussion before the draft, so that affected his perceived value among the GMs. TSN had him as the #10 overall prospect for that draft, but they probably didn't consider his concussion when making their list.

about the bold part, probably an overpayment. Shero traded his first draft pick as the Pens GM so i'm guessing Pouliot was very high on his wish list. i'm not sure what exactly the Pens should ask for in a Pouliot trade but at this point i'd say he's untouchable. at this point, i think he and Harrington are the only true untouchables the Pens have among their defensive prospects.

Despres sounds extremely tempting, but honestly, I don't think the Bruins are willing to give up what is necessary to pull a roster d-man unless he is a veteran.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:22 AM
Flat Stanley

Yeah I'm in the "draft one" crowd.

We just drafted 2, fairly early also. We can add more, but it isn't a glaring need.

We have Fleury and Vokoun in Pittsburgh, Zatkoff and Thiessen in Wilkes Barre, Matthew Murray and Sean Maguire in the prospect pool.

There are undrafted free agent goalies every year, somebody mentioned Parker Millner.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:09 AM
Vujtek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
We have Eddie Lack, he could be had since we have Joe Cannata who is also looking like another very nice goaltending prospect. Aswell as us having Schneider here for the meantime and near future since Lack is almost NHL ready.

it would take a high end prospect coming back though since Lack is one of the best goaltending prospects in the league.
Lack deserves to be in NHL next year and he has a new one-way contract for next year as well. So he isn't a goalie Pittsburgh needs since they have Fleury/Vokoun locked up for next year as well.

Anyways Pittsburgh isn't going to move a high end (D-man) prospect for a goalie. That doesn't make any sense for the Pens. They don't need goalie prospect that badly. Fleury is just hitting his prime.

Vujtek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:39 AM
madmike77

I wouldn't trade for one. Decent ones seem pretty easy to find. Calgary has Taylor and Brust on their farm team - both were picked up as FAs and both have looked solid in the AHL this year.

Taylor even played a couple of NHL games when Kiprusoff was out. He wasn't great but wasn't horrible either.

Goalies are such a crapshoot I just don't think it's worth trading for a prospect.

madmike77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:53 AM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

If a great opportunity comes along or you can get a goalie prospect as a throw in from some team that has too many, sure, why not.
Fleury is still young and gives us time to see what we got and what we can still draft in the next years. It's not really time to call this a huge problem just yet. There are always backups in FA.

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vujtek View Post
Lack deserves to be in NHL next year and he has a new one-way contract for next year as well. So he isn't a goalie Pittsburgh needs since they have Fleury/Vokoun locked up for next year as well.

Anyways Pittsburgh isn't going to move a high end (D-man) prospect for a goalie. That doesn't make any sense for the Pens. They don't need goalie prospect that badly. Fleury is just hitting his prime.
I agree, a guy at Lacks stage isn't really a need for you guys, I was just throwing that out there since there was a thread made about it.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:01 PM
hlaverty06

Kinkaid for Crosby

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:04 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Kinkaid for Crosby
Pat Killeen for Adam Henrique and 4 1st rounders

Old
03-07-2013, 06:26 PM
uncleben85
My face is my mask.

What would Pittsburgh give for Rynnas and Ashton together?
Defensive prospects?

uncleben85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:35 PM
TorstenFrings
wieder zuhause!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleben85 View Post
What would Pittsburgh give for Rynnas and Ashton together?
Defensive prospects?
Admittedly never heard of the guy, but from Ashton I am guessing that's Toronto? Why would Toronto trade a promising goalie prospect, they need them at least as much as we do?

TorstenFrings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:11 PM
DuckEatinShark
GET ALL THE PPs!!!!

vCash: 50
The Sharks have plenty of goalie prospects looking for more ice time but we are very, very low on forward prospects outside of Hertl, our first rounder last year.

Greiss has been our backup for a few years now and is ready for a 1a/1b kind of a starting gig. We also have Stalock and Sateri, who can be serviceable backups in the NHL right now.

All we want are forward prospects with top 6 potential.

DuckEatinShark is offline   Reply With Quote