HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey without fighting.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:49 AM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalheadPenguinsFan View Post
Followed by mandatory apologies to whomever said player glared/scowled at during postgame interviews.
And fines for insincere apologies.

Puritania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:49 AM
kushcloud

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
Are the rules and suspensions stopping players from hitting other guys to the head? boarding them? Are they stopping high sticks, knee on knee hits, or any other kind of dangerous play?

The fact that players still get suspensions is proof enough that fear of suspensions doesn't change a thing.

Granted, you can say the same about fighting too but it is my opinion that the fear of getting your ass kicked by the likes of Chris Neal is a bigger incentive to not take liberties on the ice than the fear of sitting on the press gallery for three games.

And who decides which players aren't good enough to stay in the NHL, do you put in place a point quota that the players have to reach to allow them to stay in the NHL?

And even if you do that, what's the next step, removing players that occasionally fight from the game too? Telling Chris Neal and Jarome Iginla that since they're physical players and have a tendency to fight that this league isn't for the anymore?
did you even read what i said? players who are only in the game to fight need to be removed colton orr is an example.

kushcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:51 AM
lboogie42*

Fighting gives momentum. Also when a goon is being an absolute ******, sometimes u need to fight to keep him in line.

lboogie42* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:51 AM
Mickey Mouse

get rid of The Cup and just give everyone "participation" awards

Mickey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:52 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kushcloud View Post
did you even read what i said? players who are only in the game to fight need to be removed colton orr is an example.
What I'm asking is how and who decides who's only in the game to fight? A panel of refs? You? Bettman?

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:52 AM
urho

vCash: 695
And those saying hockey would suck without fighting... wtf? Why are you watching the game? And fights don't have a correlation of any kind with injuries... It's just a myth.

Staged fights are actually a bit embarrassing. If it's the heat of the moment, it's more understandable.

And I don't "want fighting out of hockey" or have any other agenda about the issue... I don't care about fighting that much. I just think people who think it's really important part of the game are deluded.

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:56 AM
kushcloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by urho View Post
Staged fights are actually a bit embarrassing.
This. I cringe every time I see them

Old
03-07-2013, 08:57 AM
Random Oracle

vCash: 121
Quote:
Are the rules and suspensions stopping players from hitting other guys to the head? boarding them? Are they stopping high sticks, knee on knee hits, or any other kind of dangerous play?
I really don't understand your logic here. Of course the rules and suspension aren't completely stopping dirty and dangerous plays, but they are limiting them. The rules can definitely be improved, but without them we'd have anarchy on the ice.

Quote:
The fact that players still get suspensions is proof enough that fear of suspensions doesn't change a thing.
This is just complete nonsense. There are always going to be some people who break the rules, but a well-designed rulebook and consistent and appropriate suspensions can limit dirty plays in the NHL.

Quote:
Granted, you can say the same about fighting too but it is my opinion that the fear of getting your ass kicked by the likes of Chris Neal is a bigger incentive to not take liberties on the ice than the fear of sitting on the press gallery for three games.
Players aren't forced to fight anyone. Kronwall doesn't have to answer for his (allegedly) dirty hits by fighting, but he might have to change his game if he gets called for too many penalties and/or suspended.

Random Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:58 AM
kushcloud

Quote:
What I'm asking is how and who decides who's only in the game to fight? A panel of refs? You? Bettman?
The coaches? they are the ones who put the players like that out there.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:59 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Hockey without fighting would be odd to me. Its very much a part of the sport

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:00 AM
BreakfastatMarios

I would rather see fights as a way to end tie games at the end of OT vs going to a shoot-out, at least increase the amount of times carrying a fighter has an impact on the outcome of the game.

End of OT two guys square off center ice. Winner gets 2 points

BreakfastatMarios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:00 AM
416Leafer

Writings on the wall. Fighting is a relic of old school hockey. Just like no helmets were (and currently no-visors), head shots, etc.

It takes time, but I would assume that 15-20 years from now, rules about fighting will be a lot more strict, or it will be essentially out altogether. I'd also assume that visors will be mandatory at some point in the next 10-15 years as well.

Football players wear full helmets with cages... and they don't have sticks/pucks flying up to hit people in the faces, just limbs. Nobody thinks football players are a bunch of wimps or complain about how they can't see their favourite players face.

416Leafer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:01 AM

Fighting...another relic of hockey's non-progressive thinking.

10-15yrs from now we'll look back at how dumb we were for allowing grown men to settle their differences with bare-knuckle fighting on ice, kinda like we look back at how ridiculous it was to have players play the game without helmets.

And spare me the 'go watch (insert non-contact sport)'

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:02 AM
lboogie42*

Quote:
This. I cringe every time I see them
I hate staged fights. I've seen the rangers and devils do it a couple times. It's much better when players get mad or have been taunting each other all game and then they fight. Staged fights are dumb.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Random Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Not for every age group and not at every part of the world.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:03 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

vCash: 50
Quote:
The coaches? they are the ones who put the players like that out there.
And who enforces that, and makes sure that players on the roster aren't there to fight?

I understand what you're saying, a coach or a GM can decide that he's not going to dress a fighter, but how do you force the other 29 teams to do the same? Are you hoping the teams work on an honor system?

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
Nah, it's not part of the sport...it's part of it's non-progressive culture.

It's seen as a 'macho' way to resolve disputes, just like not wearing a helment was the macho thing to do up until about 25 yrs ago, or how some players refuse to wear visors when they reach the NHL.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via AIM to Cursed Lemon Send a message via MSN to Cursed Lemon Send a message via Yahoo to Cursed Lemon
The only reason people are against fighting is because very few "passion fights" occur nowadays.

Almost every fight is either staged or is the result of a clean hit.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a fight between two players on two heated teams who are sick of each other.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
lboogie42*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakfastatMarios View Post
I would rather see fights as a way to end tie games at the end of OT vs going to a shoot-out, at least increase the amount of times carrying a fighter has an impact on the outcome of the game.

End of OT two guys square off center ice. Winner gets 2 points
That would be retarded. Fights don't win games. And say your facing a team like the bruins. They put chara out there(or any of their other huge guys) and they win. Fighting shouldn't determine who gets the extra point.

Old
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Nope, and Orr is great at his role.

Hockey without fighting wouldn't be nearly as fun...BUT IT'LL NEVER GO AWAY!! There are fights in baseball, basketball, football, and even NASCAR!

Every person stands and cheers wildly at hockey fights, they're an important aspect to the game on a number of levels, an they're just not going anywhere. Thankfully.

03-07-2013, 09:06 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMVINNY View Post
Doesn't matter if it only happens once a season. That kid now has a brain injury that could affect his quality of life from now on.
That's a risk he was more than willing to take.

It's a risk that every player that laces up a skate takes when they step out on the ice.

It can happen with a hit, an awkward fall, a puck to the head.

Granted, this was not a heat of the moment scuffle as it was less than a minute into the game, but fights like these have been going on for as long as the league has been active.

Have a tough divisional game, set the tone early. That's what both teams were trying to do last night.

Nothing wrong with it.

Unfortunate that the kid got tagged. Hope he gets better soon, but if you are not willing to deal with the potential pit-falls of the worst case scenario happening, and you are not talented enough to make the big show skill wise, then find another line of work.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:07 AM
tml145

people get knocked out all the time

Colton Orr got knocked out by England last yearor the year before.

it took him a while to get back but he did

if any of you guys ever played hockey, you would know how much guys that fight are appreciated by their teamates

hockey is a physical sport with high emotion

things that happen during the coarse of the game can more dangerous than any fight

i would rather have fighters in the game than players taking runs at each other after an incident

i am a fan of hockey because i love the game and not the fights, but i understand the reason fighting is in the game

they only way i could see fighting out of the game is if big hits and much off the physical is outlawed aswell.

tml145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:07 AM
Random Oracle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
The only reason people are against fighting is because very few "passion fights" occur nowadays.

Almost every fight is either staged or is the result of a clean hit.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a fight between two players on two heated teams who are sick of each other.
I'd say the possibility of players getting brain damage from beating each other with their fists could be considered a downside of fighting.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
Nope, and Orr is great at his role.

Hockey without fighting wouldn't be nearly as fun...BUT IT'LL NEVER GO AWAY!! There are fights in baseball, basketball, football, and even NASCAR!

Every person stands and cheers wildly at hockey fights, they're an important aspect to the game on a number of levels, an they're just not going anywhere. Thankfully.
Of course it will...the only question is if it will go away as a result of an unfortunate accident on the ice which will finally make hockey fans/players/media realize how archaic it is or, if they'll finally realize it on their own.

Fighting will either be eradicated completely or it will be heavily legislated...it's a matter of time.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:08 AM
HarrisonFord
He's baaaaaack

God, I hate these stupid knee-jerk reactions.

Without fighting, the Kaletas, Cookes, and Marchands would take over the game. That would be worse. Having dirty players play dirty without the risk of being accountable on the ice. And don't tell me that "suspensions or fines will take care of that". That is ********. It doesn't work.

One guy gets knocked out and this is what happens.... go watch soccer or baseball if you dont like fighting.

HarrisonFord is online now   Reply With Quote