HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Speculation III: No, Really, What's the BIGGEST Problem?

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Rhett4
KALETA REBORN

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Better Call Saul View Post
Zero-goal Clowe would fit right in with this group.
I've been a big Clowe fan for awhile, but getting him would be like the Regehr trade to me...great guy but a couple years too late. Those big, physical players tend to slow down fast around 30.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:47 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

If we're dumping Stafford... I'd rather just receive picks back.

Hoard those picks.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:00 AM
BCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
I've been a big Clowe fan for awhile, but getting him would be like the Regehr trade to me...great guy but a couple years too late. Those big, physical players tend to slow down fast around 30.
Agreed. He was high on my top six forward wish list often in recent years, but the time has passed.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Have My Baby Pierre

Fans of other teams seem to be reluctant to give a 1st for Drew, but most fans tend to value picks more than GM's of contending teams do, so I really don't think it's that unrealistic that a team would give us a 1st rounder for Drew at the deadline.

Maybe we would have to throw in a 3rd round pick to go along with it and we'd hopefully replace that with another pick by dealing Leopold or Regehr - possibly both.

We'd have to sign a winger in the off-season or make another deal for one.

Not sure who is out there to sign, the most comparable off the top of my head is Nathan Horton - but he will likely be looking for some big bucks. He's consistent though, you basically know exactly what you are getting from him. He'd be an upgrade over Staff for sure, but there will be a lot of teams interested.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:08 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post
Fans of other teams seem to be reluctant to give a 1st for Drew, but most fans tend to value picks more than GM's of contending teams do, so I really don't think it's that unrealistic that a team would give us a 1st rounder for Drew at the deadline.

Maybe we would have to throw in a 3rd round pick to go along with it and we'd hopefully replace that with another pick by dealing Leopold or Regehr - possibly both.

Not sure who is out there to sign, the most comparable off the top of my head is Nathan Horton - but he will likely be looking for some big bucks. He's consistent though, you basically know exactly what you are getting from him.
I can't imagine contenders would bother with Stafford. For starters, he's not a proven playoff performer. Plus he has two more years at 4mil left on his contract so he wouldn't be a rental. It makes more sense that he would get moved in a change of scenery type of hockey trade.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:15 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Have My Baby Pierre View Post

Not sure who is out there to sign, the most comparable off the top of my head is Nathan Horton - but he will likely be looking for some big bucks. He's consistent though, you basically know exactly what you are getting from him. He'd be an upgrade over Staff for sure, but there will be a lot of teams interested.
David Clarkson...although I bet the Devils would re-sign him. Dustin Penner could fit that role, don't know what the Kings plan on doing with him. Chad LaRose and Guillaume Latendresse are cheaper options though Latendresse's injury problems make him very unreliable.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:19 AM
Have My Baby Pierre

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
David Clarkson...although I bet the Devils would re-sign him. Dustin Penner could fit that role, don't know what the Kings plan on doing with him. Chad LaRose and Guillaume Latendresse are cheaper options though Latendresse's injury problems make him very unreliable.
Penner just seems like dead weight right now, don't think he is an option to be a top 6 player anymore.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:27 AM
DJN21

If we could get a 1st for stafford(keeping goose trade in mind) Id do it whether we were in the playoffs or not...

hell a 2nd to clear his salary and go after edler/getz/clarkson etc would be fine for me....stafford's drive isnt deserving of an A...if Im Ott Im pisssssed he has an A and I dont...new coach new team...get after it...

Old
03-07-2013, 01:00 AM
SoFFacet

Gaustad was worth a 1st because he filled a very specific role that Nashville decided it needed. Even though he is technically "better" in a vacuum, Stafford is a top-6 winger with no production this year: which contender is honestly going to want that? I think we're stuck with him just like we're stuck with Myers, their current value has sunk too low to be worth trading them for anything we could reasonably expect to get. Leopold has nearly played himself into this category as well, although some team nervous about its D depth over the course of a deep run might offer us a 2nd for him.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:01 AM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
If we could get a 1st for stafford(keeping goose trade in mind) Id do it whether we were in the playoffs or not...

hell a 2nd to clear his salary and go after edler/getz/clarkson etc would be fine for me....stafford's drive isnt deserving of an A...if Im Ott Im pisssssed he has an A and I dont...new coach new team...get after it...
Edler signed a six year, $30m extension with Vancouver shortly after the lockout ended.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:21 AM
dire wolf
be cool

Stafford could easily be a 30+ goal guy in Pittsburgh. They are the logical choice by far. don't know if they would give up a good defender or D prospect, though. maybe

EDIT: I'm not a fan of picking up Stastny -- his drop in production scares me, as well as his cap hit. Also, I'll go against the grain and say that I like Ennis better at center. I think his defense is improving and will be adequate to justify keeping him there. He's much more creative on offense when he's in the middle running things. He's not a "sniper" as suggested earlier. He really is a lot like Briere

Old
03-07-2013, 04:33 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Looking at Stastny, apparently his on the block.

Stafford and Leopold for Stastny? If thats not enough I'd be happy to throw in Brennen, Pardy or a pick. I realise Staff and Leo have low trade values atm, Statsny I think is held in high regard.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:02 AM
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
Looking at Stastny, apparently his on the block.

Stafford and Leopold for Stastny? If thats not enough I'd be happy to throw in Brennen, Pardy or a pick. I realise Staff and Leo have low trade values atm, Statsny I think is held in high regard.
That pile of **** is not going to land you Paul Stastny.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:03 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Stafford should have similar value to what we got Boyes for. Same cap hit, same time left, struggling but proven goal scorer.

Stastny does nothing for me. I've watched a few Avs games this year, I can see why they would want to trade him. I wouldn't take him on for free with that salary.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:32 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by S319R11S16 View Post
Saw people saying on the Avs board no-one will take him due to his contract, about $6.5mill? But hey, who knows? More wondering on what people thought on the player as I heard his on the block.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Reddawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky Gleason View Post
- hears news
- cheers
- realizes that doesn't mean anyone wants him
- drinks
Hahahahahaha....

Old
03-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Have My Baby Pierre

I wouldn't mind going after Stastny, we'd only have to deal with his contract for another season and then we could hopefully sign him for a much cheaper price depending on how he plays here.

And yeah, it wouldn't take a lot to land Stastny due to his cap hit and drop off of production IMO. They'd probably be happy to just get rid of his salary after having to pay O'Reilly.

He is a guy I take a risk on and hope a change of scenery brings him back to his former glory.

Unfortunately, I feel like the Leafs are where he is going to go at the deadline. He is pretty much a perfect fit there, the need a better center than Bozak to play with Kessel and JVR, plus they are actually going to make the playoffs this year, so it would make more sense. Whereas, we will likely be completely out of the playoff picture by the deadline.

It would be nice to move Ennis to the wing and have them on a line.

If they are just looking to clear salary though, it wouldn't make much sense for them to be interested in Stafford.

I'm thinking they are looking for something like a 1nd round pick + mid-level prospect if they are dealing with a contender.

We'd be looking to deal our 2nd + for him, since obviously our 1st would be off the table.

Last edited by Have My Baby Pierre: 03-07-2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old
03-07-2013, 10:06 AM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by S319R11S16 View Post
The same negative contract value that drags down what little value Stafford has, also applies to Stastny. Stastny is a better player, but he also has another 2.6 mil on his cap hit to even out his trade value. I don't think either team would benefit much from such a trade, but the value is not far from even between the two.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:14 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Would you do McDonagh for Vanek?

Old
03-07-2013, 10:18 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
Something involving Stafford for Stastny would be fantastic.

Stastny would be a good fit here. I think his time has come and gone in Colorado. A fresh start in a fresh conference could wake him up.
Ugh, the Paul Stastny infatuation again. I thought we were over that last spring, but I guess not. Let's get rid of our overpaid $4m winger for an even more overpaid player at $6.6m! That's how we get better!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett4 View Post
This Stafford thing bugs me. After he scored 30 goals, I told everyone I knew that the Sabres needed to trade him ASAP. His value was through the roof, but anyone who looked closely (hopefully not an overeager GM) could see that a 30-goal season was an exception, not the rule for Drew. Those goals came in big, streaky bunches, including several hat tricks, and it was going to be impossible for a guy averaging around 20 to repeat that feat.

Instead of selling high, though, Regier resigns Staff to a big deal. Now, with his value in the dumps and his cap hit a warning flag to the league, Regier's shopping him. A guy that could have been used to net a top player or some serious blue chippers has been likely reduced to a single pick. Best case scenario is that somebody that also needs to move an overpriced body (Stastny) wants to take Stafford on as a reclamation project. And yeah...best case scenario isn't that great. What a wasted asset.
I don't think the Sabres anticipated that he'd continue shooting 17.3% like he did in his breakout season. More likely, though, they saw a guy who could shoot between 10% and 12% over a large sample, and if he could get 200 SOG per season--which would be lower than his career SOG/game at that point--he could be a consistent 20-25 goal scorer.

Also, many people around here fail to realize that $4m per is the going rate for 2nd line wingers. You'll find some exceptions not on ELC's, but this is what they get paid when they have contract leverage. He produced to his contract last season; he hasn't yet done so this season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJN21 View Post
trade stafford-sign Clarkson in the offseason-run a line of kaleta-ott-clarkson next year and watch the magic happen as we piss everyone else in the league off.
I'm sure an attractive free agent like Clarkson will be knocking down the door to come to a city like Buffalo and play for a team drafting in the top-5. Hockey Heaven and all, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
I can't imagine contenders would bother with Stafford. For starters, he's not a proven playoff performer. Plus he has two more years at 4mil left on his contract so he wouldn't be a rental. It makes more sense that he would get moved in a change of scenery type of hockey trade.
I think good teams will be after him if Regier is willing to sell low on him. I think the Pens would only be too happy to move something like Kennedy + 2nd for Stafford. He usually has pretty good advanced statistics, so I think some of the sharper GMs will try to buy low.

That said, I think Regier is going to want a price commensurate with a player who has scored 52 goals in the previous two seasons and is having some poor shooting luck this year. Other GMs are going to want to buy at a price commensurate with a player who has two goals in 24 games and is owed over $9m for the next 2 1/4 seasons. We'll see whose reality wins the negotiation, or if any deal is negotiated at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dire wolf View Post
Stafford could easily be a 30+ goal guy in Pittsburgh. They are the logical choice by far. don't know if they would give up a good defender or D prospect, though. maybe

EDIT: I'm not a fan of picking up Stastny -- his drop in production scares me, as well as his cap hit. Also, I'll go against the grain and say that I like Ennis better at center. I think his defense is improving and will be adequate to justify keeping him there. He's much more creative on offense when he's in the middle running things. He's not a "sniper" as suggested earlier. He really is a lot like Briere
I think Pittsburgh makes a bunch of sense. I could also see the Islanders making a run at him to ensure they stay above the cap floor when they move guys like Visnovsky and Streit at the deadline. I'd like to see Stafford on Tavares' wing, as well. I'd like to see if Buffalo could put together a package to pry Nino out of Long Island.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:20 AM
kirby11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Absolutely. The Rangers laugh and ask darcy what he's smoking if he proposes it, though. They're already paying huge $ to B. Richards, Nash, Gabby, Lundqvist, and Callahan. No way they're gonna want vanek's contract in exchange for a solid young dman on his ELC

Old
03-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirby11 View Post
Absolutely. The Rangers laugh and ask darcy what he's smoking if he proposes it, though. They're already paying huge $ to B. Richards, Nash, Gabby, Lundqvist, and Callahan. No way they're gonna want vanek's contract in exchange for a solid young dman on his ELC
I would assume they'd move Gaborik to replace McD.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
absolutely

Old
03-07-2013, 10:45 AM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post

I think good teams will be after him if Regier is willing to sell low on him. I think the Pens would only be too happy to move something like Kennedy + 2nd for Stafford. He usually has pretty good advanced statistics, so I think some of the sharper GMs will try to buy low.

That said, I think Regier is going to want a price commensurate with a player who has scored 52 goals in the previous two seasons and is having some poor shooting luck this year. Other GMs are going to want to buy at a price commensurate with a player who has two goals in 24 games and is owed over $9m for the next 2 1/4 seasons. We'll see whose reality wins the negotiation, or if any deal is negotiated at all.

I think Pittsburgh makes a bunch of sense. I could also see the Islanders making a run at him to ensure they stay above the cap floor when they move guys like Visnovsky and Streit at the deadline. I'd like to see Stafford on Tavares' wing, as well. I'd like to see if Buffalo could put together a package to pry Nino out of Long Island.
Count me in on that idea

Old
03-07-2013, 10:46 AM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
absolutely
It's hard to gauge the value...naturally...I would think we should get something on top of McD..nothing huge...but something... It's hard to get a true sense of value on someone like McD because he doesn't have the fancy stats that jump out at you. But I would def make this trade.

Closed Thread