Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 09:53 AM
Mikael Granlund
1st Line Lurker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomgilbertfan View Post
As a reader of the books, season 3/4 will be the best seasons. My god. Book 3 was sooooooooooo good.
I haven't read A Storm of Swords yet, but I keep hearing about this "red wedding" and how insane it's supposed to be. It's the point in the show that they really wanted to get to, so I'm excited to see what comes of it.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:28 AM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Another fun filled day for me !

Old
03-06-2013, 10:46 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveNoCreativity View Post
I used to watch power rangers all the time.
Actually just got done watching the first 3 seasons of that on Netflix....fml I need a gf

Old
03-06-2013, 12:28 PM
bozak911
Ignoring Idiots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Granlund View Post
I haven't read A Storm of Swords yet, but I keep hearing about this "red wedding" and how insane it's supposed to be. It's the point in the show that they really wanted to get to, so I'm excited to see what comes of it.
This season of GoT on HBO will be relatively straight forward from Storm of Swords.

The two seasons after that will be... interesting.

How are they going to balance the split timeline spanning both FfC and DwD?

In my mind, season 5 will have a definite "end", which was contained in Dance. Season 4, on the other hand... How are they going leave that with a cliffhanger?

/shrug

Old
03-06-2013, 07:40 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Got myself a 60* wedge today. Is it Spring yet?

Old
03-06-2013, 10:18 PM
ewoksonhoth
Most People are DJ's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
Got myself a 60* wedge today. Is it Spring yet?
I hope not, I need to get one last skate on the pond over spring break.

What kind of wedge did you get though? I'm itching for a little golf as well.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:55 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Actually just got done watching the first 3 seasons of that on Netflix....fml I need a gf
Same here.

I haven't finished the 1st season yet ...

Anyone ever try online dating ?

Old
03-06-2013, 11:00 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Same here.

I haven't finished the 1st season yet ...

Anyone ever try online dating ?
Green Ranger stuff came out around my 5th grade year I think. Right about the time I put it down. Its definitely cheesy now lol.

Known a few friends that have. Its very hit or miss girl I'm seeing is in Afghanistan right now so I have a lot of free time since there is an 11 hour timezone difference.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:28 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Green Ranger stuff came out around my 5th grade year I think. Right about the time I put it down. Its definitely cheesy now lol.

Known a few friends that have. Its very hit or miss girl I'm seeing is in Afghanistan right now so I have a lot of free time since there is an 11 hour timezone difference.
Is it worth it ?

Old
03-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Mikael Granlund
1st Line Lurker

Quote:
Is it worth it ?
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:41 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikael Granlund View Post
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.
Thank you Wayne Gretzky !

I'm pretty shy... I'm not sold on it.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:23 AM
Mikael Granlund
1st Line Lurker

Quote:
Thank you Wayne Gretzky !

I'm pretty shy... I'm not sold on it.
Worth a try! You never know what it will bring until you give it a shot.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:33 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Well, I think my internal organs have finally given up on me.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:43 AM
Fallenity

Ohhh, golf! I'm really feeling the itch today, clear blue sky and a lot of the snow has melted. I don't know about a 60" wedge though, I think the highest I've enjoyed ever playing with is 56". It feels so hard to control the ball when lobbing it, prefer chip and roll much more.

Been thinking of upgrading my driver this season, from the good old Ping G5 into the new Ping one. But I guess that's just materialistic of me, since the driver still worked well for me last season. Should improve the player, not the equipment...

Old
03-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewoksonhoth View Post
I hope not, I need to get one last skate on the pond over spring break.

What kind of wedge did you get though? I'm itching for a little golf as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenity View Post
Ohhh, golf! I'm really feeling the itch today, clear blue sky and a lot of the snow has melted. I don't know about a 60" wedge though, I think the highest I've enjoyed ever playing with is 56". It feels so hard to control the ball when lobbing it, prefer chip and roll much more.

Been thinking of upgrading my driver this season, from the good old Ping G5 into the new Ping one. But I guess that's just materialistic of me, since the driver still worked well for me last season. Should improve the player, not the equipment...
Snake Eyes 3500

I have the matching 52* and actually the hybrid-iron set and really like them. I had a bunch of different clubs last year but was just overwhelmed by choices and options so I got the basic ones on clearance for $99. Since I'm not that great, I got a Sunday bag and usually play with the 3 and 5 hybrids and 7 and 9 irons along with the 52*. So the 60* will fit right in.

I haven't liked 56* wedges because they have so much bounce. I keep wanting to close the face to hit it off tighter lies. So I had been using a 52* and I'm pretty good with the chip and roll but I play on public courses with tiny greens and needed more loft to get the ball to stop. I saw the 60* yesterday on clearance and hit some balls off the (really forgiving) indoor mats, got them to go about 10-15 feet, one hop, and stop.

I actually read about a guy who uses two 56* wedges, one with high bounce for rough and sand, one with low bounce for tight lies. That sounds cool. I could probably do a 54-10 and 56-06 or 58-04. Someday when I'm rich and awesome at golf.

The rest of my bag is a Taylormade R580 10.5* driver and a Yes! Tracy 2 putter. I want to get a 15* 3 wood as well as, again, I can't hit the driver very straight yet. I bought all my clubs on clearance or used so I've only got about $225 in my whole set including the bag.

I'm a pretty good putter but my swing has a wicked slice that I'm going to work on. I picked up the Stack and Tilt books and DVD a couple weeks ago and if I can get those tee shots in the fairway I'll bring the handicap down quite a bit. Scrambling for bogey sucks but if I can get it near the green I'm not bad at getting up and down. So hopefully the 60* puts me closer to the pin as I'm pretty automatic within about 6'.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Sleight Of Hand
Mean Streets

Anyone going to Muse tonight?

Old
03-07-2013, 12:01 PM
Fallenity

Quote:
Snake Eyes 3500

I have the matching 52* and actually the hybrid-iron set and really like them. I had a bunch of different clubs last year but was just overwhelmed by choices and options so I got the basic ones on clearance for $99. Since I'm not that great, I got a Sunday bag and usually play with the 3 and 5 hybrids and 7 and 9 irons along with the 52*. So the 60* will fit right in.

I haven't liked 56* wedges because they have so much bounce. I keep wanting to close the face to hit it off tighter lies. So I had been using a 52* and I'm pretty good with the chip and roll but I play on public courses with tiny greens and needed more loft to get the ball to stop. I saw the 60* yesterday on clearance and hit some balls off the (really forgiving) indoor mats, got them to go about 10-15 feet, one hop, and stop.

I actually read about a guy who uses two 56* wedges, one with high bounce for rough and sand, one with low bounce for tight lies. That sounds cool. I could probably do a 54-10 and 56-06 or 58-04. Someday when I'm rich and awesome at golf.

The rest of my bag is a Taylormade R580 10.5* driver and a Yes! Tracy 2 putter. I want to get a 15* 3 wood as well as, again, I can't hit the driver very straight yet. I bought all my clubs on clearance or used so I've only got about $225 in my whole set including the bag.

I'm a pretty good putter but my swing has a wicked slice that I'm going to work on. I picked up the Stack and Tilt books and DVD a couple weeks ago and if I can get those tee shots in the fairway I'll bring the handicap down quite a bit. Scrambling for bogey sucks but if I can get it near the green I'm not bad at getting up and down. So hopefully the 60* puts me closer to the pin as I'm pretty automatic within about 6'.
Welcome to the game then, it'll devour your life

I've played for about 10 years and can really sympathize with your slice problem, I had to struggle with it for the first 3 years before finally learning it. The cause of it seems different for every player, but for me at least it was as simple as shortening my backswing and starting the downswing with my shoulders, instead of my hands. Haven't had a slice problem since then, unless I get frustrated and forget to do those things. It actually started developing into a hook, but that's another story...

I've been a Ping man all my life, despite them probably being the hardest clubs to get here in Finland. Always have to order from abroad or buy when I'm visiting the States. I finally bought new irons last summer, the i20's, after having played for 5 years with old Ping ISI irons. Those were probably the best clubs I've ever used, durable as hell and felt like you could really hit the ball despite where it lay. But not really forgiving and very prone to slice if you hit them even slightly off (not a good combination with my earlier slice problem). The i20's feel very solid, but for some reason I can't get the same distance with the iron 3 and 4 that I could with the old clubs. But they are much more forgiving and the handicap took a nice hit after I became accustomed to them.

As wedges I use the Cleveland 588's, at first they felt a bit heavy but they give really nice control on the feel and distance of the shots. I've got a 50" and a 56", with the former being my all around club. When I started playing I only had a single wedge, so I learned to adjust the shot by opening and closing the club and angle. So that's why I've never really felt the need to carry more then 2 wedges, although some say you should have at least 4 these days. Matter of taste I guess.

Finally as a putter, I've got an old Odyssey Rossie. It looks worn as hell and has been in my bag since Day 1, but putting I guess is as psychological as it gets. If it feels good and you trust in it, then that should be enough.

I'm really more of a "feel" golfer then an equipment guy, I remember wandering once to some pro golf equipment forum, where they were comparing different clubs. I couldn't almost understand anything they were talking about, so many technical terms.

You should definitely get a 3 wood if you don't have one yet. Once you develop your drive and straighten the slice, you'll find yourself playing holes where your drive is too long now. That's when the 3-wood becomes valuable. Maybe it's just me, but I always feel like I can get a better control on the ball with the 3-wood in regards to fading or drawing it then with the driver, while still getting a longer distance then with the 3-iron. For maximum control I at least go with the 3-iron, but that's only needed in a couple of holes where you need to get the ball far, but accurate, like some 200m par 3's.

Plus there's the benefit of being able to hit it off the fairway also with the 3-wood, if you just take the time to learn it. Suddenly a lot of par 5's become possible eagle holes.

All this talk of golf is not helping my itch

Old
03-07-2013, 12:34 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I played for a few years as a young teen...I had a decent swing and could hit a driver 225 and straight, but my short game wasn't good. Took it back up last year.

Actually what got me back into it was finding a set of Ping Zing knockoffs, I always wanted Pings. I grew up in a nice suburb so my friends had expensive hand-me-downs from their dads. I do really like Ping clubs and if I had the cash would probably use them.

I had an Odyssey Rossie until last summer. Bought it as a kid but never got used to it. I don't like the insert on the face, feels weird. My first putter was a cheap knockoff of the old Ping style so I wanted to find one like that. Saw my Yes! on a used rack and it just felt great. It's just one piece of metal with milled grooves on the face, feels perfect, and however it is bent the alignment works for me. I've tried the putters with the two-ball alignment, the red dot, the big MOI weird looking ones, nothing feels right. So I have my putter and am happy

I have an old (I mean mid-90's) 3-wood with a steel shaft that I can hit pretty well, but I know I could probably get another 25+ yards out of a modern one. So I'll keep my eyes open.

With my slice, I think it's just trying to read about too many different swings and having played hockey so much. I try to crush the ball and come from over the top too much. So I'm working on taking the club back and in vs up. I have a pretty short backswing already and try to use more rotation/core as I want accuracy vs distance right now.

Last year I went from mid 50's on the par-35 executive by my house down to high 40's. Looking at those scores, I was usually making pars or bogeys except for 1-2 holes I'd completely screw up. If I can keep the ball in the fairway I'll start playing the 18-hole course and see how that goes.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:48 PM
Fallenity

Quote:

With my slice, I think it's just trying to read about too many different swings and having played hockey so much. I try to crush the ball and come from over the top too much. So I'm working on taking the club back and in vs up. I have a pretty short backswing already and try to use more rotation/core as I want accuracy vs distance right now.

Last year I went from mid 50's on the par-35 executive by my house down to high 40's. Looking at those scores, I was usually making pars or bogeys except for 1-2 holes I'd completely screw up. If I can keep the ball in the fairway I'll start playing the 18-hole course and see how that goes.
Consistency is probably the hardest thing in golf. There were many times last season when I played the first (par 36) 9 holes of my local course to the high 30's, then I'd crash and burn with a high 40's on the back nine. It's really demoralizing when that happens and the higher level of play you expect from yourself, the more singular mistakes can ruin the score of an entire round. Perhaps that's why I enjoy match play more these days, you're still in the race even if you smack a drive OB.

I don't know if you've already tried it or if it's any use, but my local club has a lot of hockey players with the same issue (hit long as hell, but easily slice or hook) and a lot of them have improved their game with the old towel in the armpit trick. Go to the range, stick a small towel or some other cloth between your right arm and body (if right-handed) and then hit the ball without the cloth falling away. That way you won't open your arm and will be forced to hit the ball inside-out instead of outside-in from the top. It's an age old trick and probably you've seen it, but at least here it seems to work.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:19 PM
tyratoku

Old
03-07-2013, 01:34 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenity View Post
Consistency is probably the hardest thing in golf. There were many times last season when I played the first (par 36) 9 holes of my local course to the high 30's, then I'd crash and burn with a high 40's on the back nine. It's really demoralizing when that happens and the higher level of play you expect from yourself, the more singular mistakes can ruin the score of an entire round. Perhaps that's why I enjoy match play more these days, you're still in the race even if you smack a drive OB.

I don't know if you've already tried it or if it's any use, but my local club has a lot of hockey players with the same issue (hit long as hell, but easily slice or hook) and a lot of them have improved their game with the old towel in the armpit trick. Go to the range, stick a small towel or some other cloth between your right arm and body (if right-handed) and then hit the ball without the cloth falling away. That way you won't open your arm and will be forced to hit the ball inside-out instead of outside-in from the top. It's an age old trick and probably you've seen it, but at least here it seems to work.
Good idea, I've heard of that, that would definitely help with the takeaway and keeping the club to the inside!

Ugh, it needs to be Spring out!

Old
03-07-2013, 03:24 PM
IHaveNoCreativity
HFB Partner

I don't know why but I really want ice cream.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:13 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
would i get a cease and desist letter if i started a band called Mews and promoted the hell out of it? I just googled it and there's some danish band called "Mew" but that's just not the same.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Dee Oh Cee

Only if this is your logo:

Old
03-07-2013, 04:24 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Oh Cee View Post
Only if this is your logo:

sued by Pokemon AND Muse. that would get me some press.

Closed Thread