HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey without fighting.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:22 AM
G51 K81*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I'm not whining about fighting...it's there for the time being. I don't mind it.

I'm just not dumb enough to think that it's here to stay

Also, you can keep coming with the immature jabs about me being soft cause I think fighting should/will be eliminated

Doesn't change my point of view...
You can't eliminate fighters without eliminating fighting, it just takes that one dominant fighter to ensure other teams get fighters to protect their stars. It's an equilibrium that has existed in hockey from the start.

G51 K81* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Cursed Lemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by urho View Post
Really? And you think there's no contradiction between those lines?
Not all cheap shots result in serious injuries?

99% of fights, however, result in no serious injuries either, unless you're a career slugger.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Random Oracle

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
And this really grinds my gears, people who for their own personal sense of enjoyment of the game who actually hope that a player dies on the ice as the result of a fight so that they get to leverage this tragedy to impose their own personal vision of the game.
Who's doing that?

Random Oracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:24 AM
ZARTONK
Headscratcher!

For the record, here's a The Hockey News article that shows that fighting actually works to change the game momentum.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-momentum.html

ZARTONK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:29 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Oracle View Post
Who's doing that?
417 said

Of course it will...the only question is if it will go away as a result of an unfortunate accident on the ice which will finally make hockey fans/players/media realize how archaic it is or, if they'll finally realize it on their own.

if I am misinterpreting this, I apologize. but reading this ( and this attitude is not unique) it seems that hes hoping for a precipitating accident on the ice.

Also when don sanderson died, the anti fighting crowd were out in full force leveraging that tragedy with disingenuous "concern" for player safety so long as it advanced the anti fighting agenda

Last edited by sandysan: 03-07-2013 at 09:34 AM. Reason: addition
sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:32 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

i think staged fighting is completely stupid...it disrupts the game and i hate watching.

as far as other fighting, i'm indifferent. i wouldn't push for a ban but if it were taken out of the game altogether it wouldn't affect my enjoyment at all.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
It didn't, and wearin helmets have nothing to do with fighting. That's not a good comparison. Flying pucks, hitting your head, etc all are good reasons, the two son compare. Stop trying
like I said...I imagine the responses would of been the same in the 60's

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:36 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

One day we'll look back at the bare-knuckle fistfights currently condoned by the NHL with the same bewildered amazement as when we recall the era when players didn't wear helmets and goalies didn't wear masks.

Unfortunately it may take a death before the league stops fighting,

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:37 AM
Cursed Lemon
Registered Bruiser

Send a message via Skype™ to Cursed Lemon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
One day we'll look back at the bare-knuckle fistfights currently condoned by the NHL with the same bewildered amazement as when we recall the era when players didn't wear helmets and goalies didn't wear masks.

Do you actually predict someone DYING from a hockey fight?

Take a moment and consider how ridiculous that is.

No, someone will die from a vicious hit from behind long before someone perishes in a fight.

Cursed Lemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
You can't eliminate fighters without eliminating fighting, it just takes that one dominant fighter to ensure other teams get fighters to protect their stars. It's an equilibrium that has existed in hockey from the start.
A lot of things existed in hockey from the start...it doesn't mean it was a good idea to keep it in the game.

Like I said...it's a matter of time. The more we know about brain injuries, the more measures will be taken to reduce instances where brain injuries happen outside of the flow of the game.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:39 AM
Banana Sandwiches

Question: Is this thread created if the McLaren-DD fight doesn't end in a KO?

Answer: Probably not.

Banana Sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:41 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
A lot of things existed in hockey from the start...it doesn't mean it was a good idea to keep it in the game.

Like I said...it's a matter of time. The more we know about brain injuries, the more measures will be taken to reduce instances where brain injuries happen outside of the flow of the game.
Nope. Simple answer, I've had this conversation way too many times, always the same.

03-07-2013, 09:41 AM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post

just wondering, when will we come to the same realization regarding ufc and boxing ?

The day might come when the players decide to stop fighting, but I'm not concerned that me, my kids or my grandkids will be around to see it.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:42 AM
BamBamCam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
reminds me of the initial opposition to the indoor smoking ban...

at first, people everywhere couldn't believe that any city could actually get away with it, and certainly never in their own.

next thing you know, in a very short timeframe, hard to find anyone who can understand how it was ever considered ok in the first place.

just because stupidity has been allowed & accepted for a long time, doesn't make it any more comprehensible.
Pssst - that's known as false equivalence. Hopefully, you have something better than that.

On another note: Soccer is probably better suited sport for you.

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
417 said

Of course it will...the only question is if it will go away as a result of an unfortunate accident on the ice which will finally make hockey fans/players/media realize how archaic it is or, if they'll finally realize it on their own.

if I am misinterpreting this, I apologize. but reading this ( and this attitude is not unique) it seems that hes hoping for a precipitating accident on the ice.

Also when don sanderson died, the anti fighting crowd were out in full force leveraging that tragedy with disingenuous "concern" for player safety so long as it advanced the anti fighting agenda
You can start apologizing...where in my post did you surmise that I 'hope' for an accident on the ice?

I said that an accident on the ice is an eventuality...players are bigger and stronger and the respect between players is diminishing.

it's just a matter of time...like it or not

Old
03-07-2013, 09:45 AM
professorchaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
For the record, here's a The Hockey News article that shows that fighting actually works to change the game momentum.

http://www.thehockeynews.com/article...-momentum.html
How dare you bring facts into this discussion. It isn't nice to make bleeding hearts weep. It's best to just let them be so they can bubblewrap their children in peace.

professorchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
I disagree, it's not better. It's a part of the game, a it's just not going anywhere.

Yes, I love watching a good fight. I, like everyone else in the stands, stand and cheer a fight. I love the UFC, Bellator, etc. I'm also one of the first to step in and stop a fight. I haven't been in one for 15 years, but I have no problem getting in someone's face to protect a friend or family member. Point being, I'm not some barbarian, I don't live in the Stone Age, I just like what I like.

I didn't like seeing him her knocked flat and prefer they both skate away, but it happens. Same as a guy getting knocked out on a clean check. Those aren't going anywhere.
It's not a part of the game...it's a part of the culture, and it's a part of the cuture that's stuck in an era that doesn't exist anymore.

Old
Banana Sandwiches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
Do you actually predict someone DYING from a hockey fight?

Take a moment and consider how ridiculous that is.

No, someone will die from a vicious hit from behind long before someone perishes in a fight.
The only way I ever see someone dying in a fight is if they hit their bare head on the back of the ice, most likely the result of a takedown/judo throw.

No one is going to die in a hockey fight just from being punched in the face.

And I'm with you that we'll probably see a really serious injury or death from hit before a fight.

Banana Sandwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Mickey Mouse

Quote:
It's not a part of the game...it's a part of the culture, and it's a part of the cuture that's stuck in an era that doesn't exist anymore.
fighting has been part of the North American game since the beginning

Mickey Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:48 AM
Brooklanders*

Its time to end fighting in hockey. There was a time and era for it but that no longer exists
Enough with these goons

Brooklanders* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:48 AM

Quote:
just wondering, when will we come to the same realization regarding ufc and boxing ? The day might come when the players decide to stop fighting, but I'm not concerned that me, my kids or my grandkids will be around to see it.
This makes no sense...UFC and Boxing is about fighting. That's their sport.

The game of hockey is NOT ABOUT FIGHTING, that's why fighting is PENALIZED. That's like saying that hooking, obstruction or any other infraction is a 'part of the game'.

How can something that is penalized, be 'part of the game'??? Makes no sense.

Fighting is not a part of the game, it's just tolerated...

Old
03-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Laus723
#CatsAreComing

Quote:
Doesn't exist anymore? Wake up and look around. UFC has exploded, boxing is still popular, people still love huge wrecks at races, and everyone still goes nuts at a hockey fight. A hockey fight that's a part of the game.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:51 AM
professorchaos

Quote:
You are right, it is part of a culture. Although you are wrong in assuming that culture doesn't exist. It exists and is bigger than ever, especially in North America. If you want to escape the culture, take a trip across the pond.

professorchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Mouse View Post
fighting has been part of the North American game since the beginning
Let's just conceed for argument's sake that fighting is a part of the game, even though I don't believe that to be true...

Players wearing no helments and goalies wearing no masks was also a part of the 'North American' game from the beginning

Do you think it would make sense for player to not wear helmets today?

The NFL should take a cue from the NHL and go back to the days where player helmets were made of leather lol

Old
03-07-2013, 09:52 AM
sandysan

Quote:
This makes no sense...UFC and Boxing is about fighting. That's their sport.

The game of hockey is NOT ABOUT FIGHTING, that's why fighting is PENALIZED. That's like saying that hooking, obstruction or any other infraction is a 'part of the game'.

How can something that is penalized, be 'part of the game'??? Makes no sense.

Fighting is not a part of the game, it's just tolerated...
The NHL without fighting is about as rare as a unicorn or a picture of the loch ness monster.

The NHL game has NEVER existed without fighting. NEVER.

Who gets to define what is part of the game ? The rich historical evidence, the players who actually participated in the game, or you ?