HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXIII ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 10:57 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
gunnarsson kulemin......

is jones avail?
Jones? OH YES PLEASE YES!!! I mean... Hmm.. If you offer something good, you might get him...

Old
03-06-2013, 10:59 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Gunnarsson and a 2nd would probably do the trick. Adding Colborne would be too much I think.

I wouldn't mind Bozak as our 3rd C. But I wouldn't take him when he is a pending UFA.
Colborne looks like a career AHLer.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:59 PM
tucker3434

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa Frossa View Post
Stastny + for Phaneuf + Cuthbert?
I know you're kidding but if nonis called and asked for stastny I'd tell him that he'd better try to bring me phaneuf in return. Otherwise no deal. Unless kessel was available for a reasonable price of course.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:05 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

stastny has 1 more yr left on his 6.6 mil contract
it'll be hard to find takers

Old
03-06-2013, 11:40 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
stastny has 1 more yr left on his 6.6 mil contract
it'll be hard to find takers
No it won't. He's a quality player and one year on his contract means any team that potentially acquires him could potentially re-sign him to better fit their salary structure.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:48 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

or just let him walk in a yr if he continues to struggle offensively
there's a risk involved here
his market value has gone down subsequently

Old
03-06-2013, 11:59 PM
shadow1

Quote:
Seldom does a star player signed to a long term contract get traded. Paul Stastny's current value is what it is because of what you alluded to: his declining point production.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:05 AM
p.l.f.
mvp

just have to hope you can get a 1st rounder or top young prospect from someone
or maybe an established semi-star like bouwmeester. who knows
it wont come from the leafs however

Old
03-07-2013, 12:08 AM
shadow1

Quote:
Whether they're doing the right thing or not, if Stastny is traded I expect roster players in return. The Avalanche management group has dealt away more prospects and draft picks than they've received via trade despite being in the midst of a rebuild.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:11 AM
hockeyviking

Quote:
and you know this since you are the GM?

Old
03-07-2013, 12:25 AM
cgf

We could find any number of solid EJ partners in a staz trade Bouwmeester, Yandle, Gunnarson, Campbell? With varying pluses to balance it out. Dude's still a very good 1b/2a C who's an excellent playmaker, strong in the dot, has a good two way game and chips in 20 goals every year. In the worst year of his career he was still top 30 for Center scoring, the man can play. If we are able to work out a long term deal with Worth It O'Reilly and trade Staz the avs will be able to get back pieces that actually help the team.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:26 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Dater really needs to stick to reporting the day to day things surrounding the Avs like injury and line up news. Can't believe he actually took that clown on twitter seriously.

Still would not surprise me if Stastny is traded soon. I think either Dreger or LeBrun said he's available.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:29 AM
cgf

We're not going to trade Staz until after the team tries to work out extensions with him and O'Reilly.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:48 AM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

The "ha ha, how much do you want for Stastny now?" joke is old. If he's as bad as people keep claiming, why do they keep coming in here asking for him?

please make it stop

Old
03-07-2013, 03:35 AM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
While I don't know about the front office his the sort of player Sabres fans have been after for a while.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:45 AM
JoemAvs

vCash: 250
If in the current market Stastny only returns Bozak (UFA) + Liles or something stupid like that, we might as well fold this franchise.
Stastny for all his struggles is still the best center to hit the trade market since Carter and the only quality center available by a countrymile. And look what Carter got (2x). His contract this year is not an issue and he has 1 year left....

If we don't get atleast a potential EJ partner or a 1st + solid prospect, I will lose all faith.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:34 AM
benzino

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoemAvs View Post
If in the current market Stastny only returns Bozak (UFA) + Liles or something stupid like that, we might as well fold this franchise.
Stastny for all his struggles is still the best center to hit the trade market since Carter and the only quality center available by a countrymile. And look what Carter got (2x). His contract this year is not an issue and he has 1 year left....

If we don't get atleast a potential EJ partner or a 1st + solid prospect, I will lose all faith.
If we trade him I expect a similar return to what we got for Smyth. Not many teams got cap room like Avs so they need to include a pure salary dump or a player with a +3-4 million a year contract if they want room for Stastny. And then possibly a young potential partner for EJ.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:25 AM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzino View Post
If we trade him I expect a similar return to what we got for Smyth. Not many teams got cap room like Avs so they need to include a pure salary dump or a player with a +3-4 million a year contract if they want room for Stastny. And then possibly a young potential partner for EJ.
You are wrong. If we wait till next trqde deadline we will get nice return, becquse at that point it doesnt reqlly matter how much he makes.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:42 AM
benzino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
You are wrong. If we wait till next trqde deadline we will get nice return, becquse at that point it doesnt reqlly matter how much he makes.
Just to clarify my post about the potential return we might get is if we trade Stastny now or in the summer

Old
03-07-2013, 09:00 AM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Avalanche View Post
On the other hand it'll be more difficult for the teams to fit his salary in because the cap will be lower. If a team trades for him at this year's deadline there will be the whole summer to make some trades and sign FAs to ice a good team around Stastny. If he's traded at next year's deadline the teams will be forced to get rid of a lot of salary to fit him in which will be difficult because you won't find many takers for expensive but average players when the cap ceiling is so low. So a GM will have to make his team worse if he wants to trade for Stastny. (Things will be completely different if Avs are okay with retaining a part of his salary. though.)
I think the market for Stastny is better this year than it will be next year.

Edit: Also, he could be injured next year and we'll lose him without gaining anything in the summer.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:05 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

I could see Stastny easily being available. No matter how much ROR has pissed off the organization, we have his rights for 3.5 years and time heals all wounds. If we trade Stastny this year it will take a lot to get him as there is no reason to trade him until at least the offseason. If it happens I fully expect it to be something like this: solid roster player that may have a contract coming up this year (could be RFA or UFA) + solid prospect with top6/4 potential + 1st round pick if upcoming UFA/2nd round pick if RFA and depending on the quality of the whole package maybe another prospect or conditional pick.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:52 AM
hockeyfish

I think next years cap is going to make it tough to find value for Stastny. On the other hand (stop me if I'm screwing up the new CBA rules) trading him at the draft where we can eat some of the cap space for next year may make more sense.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:02 AM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfish View Post
I think next years cap is going to make it tough to find value for Stastny. On the other hand (stop me if I'm screwing up the new CBA rules) trading him at the draft where we can eat some of the cap space for next year may make more sense.
We can eat part of the contract, and I don't think his cap hit is going to be all that big of an issue. The teams that need a #1C are not in cap trouble. The team with the most payroll already tied up for next year that could need Stastny is Buffalo. They are at ~50m, so they have 14m in cap room to get 7-8 players under contract. In a trade, I would guess that the Avs take back 3m in salary. So in the end a team like Buffalo would have ~10-11m to fill out their roster, easily doable when they are mostly bottom end players. Then you combine that with the fact that teams can amnesty players in the offseason to unload contracts like Komisarek without having any cap hit. There is plenty of room for Stastny's salary under the cap for the teams that want him. If he had 6.6 m for 4-5 more years, it would be an issue.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:47 AM
SmurfInABlender

If Sherman can swallow his pride I think the best option for both teams is Stastny for Bouwmeester with what ever picks or what not need to make that even for either side.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:09 AM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 239
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfInABlender View Post
If Sherman can swallow his pride I think the best option for both teams is Stastny for Bouwmeester with what ever picks or what not need to make that even for either side.
Heck no!

Closed Thread