HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ribeiro to Ana, Chi, Tor, Van, Det, Ott?

Old
03-07-2013, 06:14 AM
Man Bear Pig

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
This year, draft is strong in the top-10. Everything later is mediocre.
You must know something the scouts don't

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:16 AM
Robert Theodorson

Due to the fact that he is our top producer and is a top six center, he is worth at the very least a 1st rounder and a prospect.

I could definitely see a contender giving up the best kid in their farm system for him. Ribeiro's value is insanely high right now.

Robert Theodorson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:19 AM
416Leafer

Zero interest in him as a Leafs fan. I dont think he's a guy you truly win with. So if we got him, we'd just be looking for an upgrade the very next day.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:52 AM
EucaLEAFtys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoidberg Jesus View Post
Anybody remember the Kaberle trade two years ago? 32 year old pending UFA who was one of the top point producers at his position, and the return was a 1st, a nice prospect (Joe Colborne), and a conditional 2nd. Why shouldn't the Caps expect a similar return for Ribeiro, should they choose to shop him?
The return for Kaberle was actually Joe Colborne and a conditional 2nd round pick. The reason why Leafs got a 1st instead of the 2nd was because the condition on that pick was met.. that being, the Bruins winning the Stanley Cup that post-season.

So, if you're basing a return for Ribiero on the Kaberle deal, then the most you're likely to get is a project prospect and a 2nd round pick in this summer's draft.

I can't realistically see Toronto being in the mix for Ribiero right now, given how well they've been playing. They won't want to "rock the boat" unless it becomes absolutely necessary to do so.

If they have any interest in Ribiero, they'll most likely wait until he becomes a UFA this summer. But, if they do try to trade for him, then expect Grabovski to be going the other way.

EucaLEAFtys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:03 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
I might be in the minority here but I'd give up the Hawks 1st, if for nothing else, to best the other offers and get him to Chicago. However, if we could do this for a 2nd and/or some combination of midlevel prospects, that would be ideal. If not, take the 1st.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:14 AM
CellarDweller0

As a Leaf fan I sing a big fat "No"

CellarDweller0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:26 AM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by EucaLEAFtys View Post
The return for Kaberle was actually Joe Colborne and a conditional 2nd round pick. The reason why Leafs got a 1st instead of the 2nd was because the condition on that pick was met.. that being, the Bruins winning the Stanley Cup that post-season.

So, if you're basing a return for Ribiero on the Kaberle deal, then the most you're likely to get is a project prospect and a 2nd round pick in this summer's draft.

I can't realistically see Toronto being in the mix for Ribiero right now, given how well they've been playing. They won't want to "rock the boat" unless it becomes absolutely necessary to do so.

If they have any interest in Ribiero, they'll most likely wait until he becomes a UFA this summer. But, if they do try to trade for him, then expect Grabovski to be going the other way.
http://www.aolnews.com/2011/02/18/re...ing-blake-whe/
Quote:
In return, Toronto will get Boston's first round pick, prospect Joe Colborne and a conditional draft pick. According to TSN's Bob McKenzie, Toronto will get Boston's 2012 second-round selection if the Bruins make the Stanley Cup Final this year or re-sign Kaberle after this season.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:29 AM
spartachris

Like to have him Ottawa, but not as a rental.

spartachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:33 AM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

vCash: 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
And he could thrive playing with Lupul and Kessel being a pure playmaker.

Kessel-Ribeiro-Lupul
Kulemin-Grabo-Komarov
Frattin-Kadri-MacArthur
Mclement-Bozak-Mclaren/Orr

Thats about as deep of a forward group that there is in this league. Nonetheless, I doubt the Leafs are interested in rentals.
Where did JVR go?

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:35 AM
spartachris

Kulemin is much more of sniper I guess

spartachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:42 AM
txpd

mw6 always wants the caps to be trading someone. from all accounts ribeiro as a main reason why his numbers have been so strong and his season so good. leaving defeats that whole idea. if the caps trade him as a rental, they very likely dont get an nhl player in return.

if they do its a player that will need 3 seasons or more to make it to the league.

my guess is that ribeiro is extended and stays

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:47 AM
Hawkaholic

The most I would offer, would be
Frolik or Mayers
Montador or Brookbank
Pirri or Morin or Smith

Not giving up a 1st, any of our top 5 prospects, top 10 forwards, or top 6 Dmen. We also don't own a 2nd or 3rd.

Basically, Chicago probably isn't all that interested.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Stewie G

These all seem like terrible offers for a top 10 point getter, rental or no rental. They seem more like Dominic Moore offers than Hossa/Kovalchuk offers.

Stewie G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:02 AM
Force951

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
These all seem like terrible offers for a top 10 point getter, rental or no rental. They seem more like Dominic Moore offers than Hossa/Kovalchuk offers.
That might be because he isn't on Hossa/Kovalchuk's level. I think its mostly because the draft is considered strong this year, and with the cap going down next year teams are going to take it a little slower. I think he would fetch a late 1st/early 2nd and a mid level prospect. If i didn't despise him so much i would go the NYI 2nd + Friberg for him.

Force951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:15 AM
sokocanuck

vCash: 745
Big pass from Toronto. I'd be concerned that he's not fully recovered from that gun-shot wound he took a few years ago. It looked pretty serious.

sokocanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
I haven't been paying too close of attention. Are they calling this another 2003 or am I missing something?
Yeah, like they do with every other draft around deadline time. It's nowhere near 2003, that draft was a complete aberration strongly aided by a season-long lockout.

After the top 10 it's pretty much same old same old. If we were gunning for a top 10 pick with Ribeiro perhaps it would have merit. We're not though.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:27 AM
MW6

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
mw6 always wants the caps to be trading someone. from all accounts ribeiro as a main reason why his numbers have been so strong and his season so good. leaving defeats that whole idea. if the caps trade him as a rental, they very likely dont get an nhl player in return.

if they do its a player that will need 3 seasons or more to make it to the league.

my guess is that ribeiro is extended and stays
Isn't that what this site is about? If he does re-sign, that's fine, he's been great. But if he isn't interested he should traded at the deadline instead of losing him for nothing.

So if Ribeiro stays you're ok with trading Johansson? Because that was the reason for not reading Johansson during the lockout.

MW6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:42 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force951 View Post
That might be because he isn't on Hossa/Kovalchuk's level. I think its mostly because the draft is considered strong this year, and with the cap going down next year teams are going to take it a little slower. I think he would fetch a late 1st/early 2nd and a mid level prospect. If i didn't despise him so much i would go the NYI 2nd + Friberg for him.
If you're in the market for a rental, isn't the most important aspect how a particular player is doing that year? I honestly don't know, but were Hossa/Kovalchuk in the top 10 in scoring when they were dealt? I'd also assign a little more value to a center over a winger.

I'm also not sure how the cap going down next year has any real bearing on the situation. Ribeiro won't be on the books next year unless the buying team re-signs him and it is unlikely that a late first rounder will see NHL action next year, and even if they do, it won't be at a big cap hit.

I don't know. Perhaps a lot of people haven't seen him play this season. If a team sees this year as a good opportunity to win (or a GM has a fire under his rear end), I see Ribeiro returning a 1st + something small without any trouble.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:05 AM
Force951

vCash: 50
Quote:
If you're in the market for a rental, isn't the most important aspect how a particular player is doing that year? I honestly don't know, but were Hossa/Kovalchuk in the top 10 in scoring when they were dealt? I'd also assign a little more value to a center over a winger.

I'm also not sure how the cap going down next year has any real bearing on the situation. Ribeiro won't be on the books next year unless the buying team re-signs him and it is unlikely that a late first rounder will see NHL action next year, and even if they do, it won't be at a big cap hit.

I don't know. Perhaps a lot of people haven't seen him play this season. If a team sees this year as a good opportunity to win (or a GM has a fire under his rear end), I see Ribeiro returning a 1st + something small without any trouble.
The price for a high end rental also includes negotiation rights. Because if your trading for someone like that your sure as hell going to try and resign them. So how they are playing now isn't everything.

Also the cap going down does affect the market. Cost controlled assets (draft picks and prospects) are going to be at an even higher value. So it will reduce whatever you expect to receive.

Force951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:22 AM
mighty all the way

Take whatever Perry is gonna get and divide it by 2. Some of these offers people say he's worth isn't even what people were saying for Perry. He's a rental he's worth a 4-5 dman or a 7-12 forward and a 2-3 rd pick for a sucky team.

Plus aren't the Capitals like 7-3 in last ten? This team is gonna be like 9-10th place come deadline and they won't trade him if they have a hope still.

mighty all the way is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:35 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Force951 View Post
The price for a high end rental also includes negotiation rights. Because if your trading for someone like that your sure as hell going to try and resign them. So how they are playing now isn't everything.

Also the cap going down does affect the market. Cost controlled assets (draft picks and prospects) are going to be at an even higher value. So it will reduce whatever you expect to receive.
Hossa didn't stay. Kovalchuk went UFA before signing with the Devils. While it is probably a consideration, I doubt it is a difference maker in any deal. If the negotiating rights are valuable enough to be more than a consideration, they could move them to another team to recoup part of the initial cost if signing said player isn't going to happen.

There only need to be two teams out there that see a player as the missing piece to drive up the price, especially when the market is going to be mainly bereft of similar caliber players. In those situations, secondary considerations might not be weighed as heavily as they would be outside of the trade deadline.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:41 AM
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty all the way View Post
Take whatever Perry is gonna get and divide it by 2. Some of these offers people say he's worth isn't even what people were saying for Perry. He's a rental he's worth a 4-5 dman or a 7-12 forward and a 2-3 rd pick for a sucky team.

Plus aren't the Capitals like 7-3 in last ten? This team is gonna be like 9-10th place come deadline and they won't trade him if they have a hope still.
I would argue that since the teams interested in a winger and those interested in a center aren't likely to be the same subset, that their prices might not be as directly linked as you suggest. There's no reason that both players couldn't net a relatively similar return in the right situation.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Lukus

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgess1978 View Post
Senators aren't looking for rentals, and they likely aren't interested in re-signing Ribeiro either. I think you can count them out of this one.
I disagree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Count Ottawa out on Ribeiro.

No disrespect to the player, but Bryan Murray has made it abundantly clear that if we're spending valuable assets on adding a guy, he needs to be in our 3+ year plan. Ottawa won't be in on any rentals this year.
You need guys with experience. If we lose Alfie and Gonchar next season, we'll only have Spezza and Philips. I think if we can get him for a reasonable price, go for it. He won't hurt the team and can only make them more competitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartachris View Post
Like to have him Ottawa, but not as a rental.
I too would prefer if he came here for a couple of years until our young guns got some experience under their belts. That said, I wouldn't be against the idea of having him as a rental either. Depending on the scenario at the trading deadline, no matter what game plan BM may have spoken about in the past, I'm sure if it comes down to battling for the last playoff spot, Melnyk would "encourage" BM to bolster our chances by acquiring a rental player like Ribeiro. Sometimes, the opportunity of making money trumps your game plan.

Lukus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:07 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Since when is Ribeiro even close to Hossa and Kovalchuk level?

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:17 PM
leugangen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurt View Post
I think Toronto would say no thank you. He's a rat and on the wrong side of 30 for our team.
I like him, and would give up the price that WSH paid for him - a 2nd and Ashton. Something like that.

leugangen is offline   Reply With Quote