HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Could Malkin Have His Number Retired?

Old
03-07-2013, 08:27 AM
Leo W

vCash: 50
Could Malkin Have His Number Retired?

Kings fan just curious about this:

Do Penguins fans feel as though Geno has to do more to get his number retired in Pittsburgh? He's basically already a lock for the Hall of Fame (2 scoring titles, Hart, Conn Smythe, and a Stanley Cup) but do Penguins fans consider him a lock to have his number retired when it's all said and done? I mean, he's only 1 of 4 Penguins players to win the Hart (Jagr, Mario, and Sid being the others obviously). Do you guys consider this enough to warrant #71 going into the rafters?

Thanks guys.

Leo W is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:30 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

vCash: 500
He's certainly made a strong case so far.

Ask us again in 8 years when his career is closer to being finished. Right now we're enjoying his actual career being played out in its prime. A little premature to think about Hall of Fame and Retired Numbers for any of our best players. Like a guy who just retired in the real world, having planned out 10 years of world travel and fishing trips, thinking about which retirement home he'll end up in.

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:32 AM
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior

Send a message via AIM to ColePens
Without a doubt. 1 more Cup and Sid/Geno get their number retired in Pittsburgh.

ColePens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:32 AM
dr robbie
Let's Go Pens!

we're very exclusive with retired numbers. We only have two at the moment with Lemieux (obviously) and Briere.

I personally think he doesn't necessarily have to do more, but that he has to watch what he does. If he leaves Pittsburgh much like Jagr did (badish terms) than he might not ever get his # retired or it might take a long time. I think he's done enough on the team to warrant it, he just needs to keep playing nice and/or not tick off any of the higher ups on the team.

dr robbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:59 AM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Washington View Post
Kings fan just curious about this:

Do Penguins fans feel as though Geno has to do more to get his number retired in Pittsburgh? He's basically already a lock for the Hall of Fame (2 scoring titles, Hart, Conn Smythe, and a Stanley Cup) but do Penguins fans consider him a lock to have his number retired when it's all said and done? I mean, he's only 1 of 4 Penguins players to win the Hart (Jagr, Mario, and Sid being the others obviously). Do you guys consider this enough to warrant #71 going into the rafters?

Thanks guys.
it's not out of the realm of possibility that Malkin's #71 will be up in the rafters upon retiring (just like Sid's #87). however, like (i think) a few people already said, there's still hopefully a lot of career left for Malkin for the Pens to mull over the decision.

personally, i think #71 should be retired once Malkin retires IF he re-ups with the Pens next year (for about 8 years or so). then he'd effectively be a Penguin for life (or at least the better part of his career, even if he signs somewhere else afterward) and it would make a stronger case for him to get his number retired, especially if he performs like he's been performing in recent seasons.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:02 AM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

Maybe? The Pens don't retire a lot of numbers. There are lots of folks who think 10 should be retired & there are still a lot of people who think that 68 should be as well but there's been no indication that the Pens plan to do either.

I'd say based on the contract he just signed Sid is a lock and if Geno extends long term I'd say he's pretty close to a lock as well.

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:09 AM
Flat Stanley

No man, Malkin wants to leave to be the man on a different team.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:12 AM
plaidchuck

Why not ask this question about Crosby as well?

plaidchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:20 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColePens View Post
Without a doubt. 1 more Cup and Sid/Geno get their number retired in Pittsburgh.
I think that regardless both will be retired.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:50 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
Why not ask this question about Crosby as well?
He likely just assumed his would be retired since he is going to be a career Penguin.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:54 AM
plaidchuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shady Machine View Post
He likely just assumed his would be retired since he is going to be a career Penguin.
Ah. Nothing against the OP but I thought this had to do with many fans thinking "crosby isnt the best player on his team" etc.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:55 AM
Luigi Lemieux

Unless he has some sort of a falling out a la Jagr, there's no doubt Malkin gets his # retired. He's the 4th best player in franchise history and will end up one as one of the game's all time greats. Crosby, Jagr, and Malkin should all get their # retired, but Jagr's may take a while before the bad feelings dissipate.

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:58 AM
IcedCapp
IcedCapp The White

Not only will Sid and Geno have their numbers retired, but they are actually going to buy the team from Mario and Burkle when they retire, after learning the ways of "the tank." They will then draft the next "Sid and Geno" in their first years as owners, teach him how to own the league, and then after 15-20 years of domination, they'll pass the franchise on to him.

It'll be The Tank Dynasty

IcedCapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:58 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidchuck View Post
Ah. Nothing against the OP but I thought this had to do with many fans thinking "crosby isnt the best player on his team" etc.
You read too far into it then. He just asked if we thought Malkin would have his number retired.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Luigi Lemieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dying Alive View Post
Maybe? The Pens don't retire a lot of numbers. There are lots of folks who think 10 should be retired & there are still a lot of people who think that 68 should be as well but there's been no indication that the Pens plan to do either.

I'd say based on the contract he just signed Sid is a lock and if Geno extends long term I'd say he's pretty close to a lock as well.
I love Francis but he's no Malkin. I like that the pens are exclusive with retiring numbers and Francis doesn't make the cut. But Malkin does. How many players in history have multiple art ross trophies?

Luigi Lemieux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:12 AM
Shady Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigi Lemieux View Post
I love Francis but he's no Malkin. I like that the pens are exclusive with retiring numbers and Francis doesn't make the cut. But Malkin does. How many players in history have multiple art ross trophies?
Uhh do you know who Ron Francis is? He is 4th all time in scoring.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:20 AM
plaidchuck

Well Francis was a captain so that says something. He also dipped when the team began its decline. I'd say in the grand scheme of things he means a little more to the Whalers/Canes organization.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Shady Machine

Yeah I agree about the Canes/Whalers thing. I can see why his number wouldn't be retired here based on his success with another franchise.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Flat Stanley

Jagr's had success in Pittsburgh, most of his career highlights are as a Penguin. I don't think #68 would be worn again but I doubt the Pens retire it.

Flat Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:33 AM
TheSniper26
No cure for being...

Quote:
He's right though. Francis was a really great player, but his status as the 4th leading scorer all time probably has more to do with his longevity and the fact that he played some years with Mario/Jagr. Of the top 50 scorers of all time, despite being 4th in totals, his ppg ranks 27th. At no point in his career was he even close to being considered the top player in the game as Crosby/Malkin are.

TheSniper26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:44 AM
bathroomSTAAL
The halcyon days

Say what you want about not retiring #10, but watching Tanner Glass sport it on a nightly basis is a disgrace to Ronnie Franchise's legacy!

bathroomSTAAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:48 AM
JWells16

Barring a Jagr incident, yes.

JWells16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

Quote:

Don't let history get in the way of clouded thinking, pal! This is HFB!

Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 10:55 AM
Zatch88
Im stumbling spheres

Quote:
Originally Posted by IcedCapp View Post
Not only will Sid and Geno have their numbers retired, but they are actually going to buy the team from Mario and Burkle when they retire, after learning the ways of "the tank." They will then draft the next "Sid and Geno" in their first years as owners, teach him how to own the league, and then after 15-20 years of domination, they'll pass the franchise on to him.

It'll be The Tank Dynasty
that post made me all warm and fuzzy inside

Zatch88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:06 AM
Riptide

I'm not sure why we'd even be asking this. If he plays out the majority of his career here, and continues to play at a high level, then I think it happens. Sid will almost certainly happen once he retires - if only for what us getting him meant to the Pens as an organization (revival, cup win, etc).

"It’s not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, it’s as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is online now   Reply With Quote