HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What must Edmonton do

Old
03-07-2013, 12:03 PM
8BostonRocker24

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Build down the middle from the goal out. Wingers are the last necessity. They need to look at the Kings. The first move of our rebuild imo, wasn't moving Demitra for O'Sullivan and Lewis, it was moving Visnovsky for 2 much needed pieces in Stoll and Greene. In other words, move one of those forwards for multiple much needed pieces. Those are the type of deals Edmonton needs to make.
Edmonton is not going to do this. If they were going to do this, they would of drafted Seguin over Hall and traded back in 2012 to pick Galchenyuk instead of Yakupov.

Edmonton is building around 3 high-end wings Yakupov, Hall and Eberle. That is the path they are going down.

8BostonRocker24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:04 PM
HitmanKiller12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
You have a link from someone credible that the isles want Hartikaenen? Cause so far, all we've read are comments from sources like McKenzie, Botta, Staples, Strang and Nino's rep that Snow's not trading Nino.

A link would be appreciated.
I don't have a link, but last summer the oilers were getting calls from the islanders trying to pry him away. Also I know Snow would be reluctant to parting with Nino because of his size/skill combination. That is why I offered Hartiakenen, because he brings the same size albeit with less skill. That is where the 2nd comes in. This offer still might be low but I was thinking if they like Harti and don't like Nino the gap in value may close slightly.

HitmanKiller12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:06 PM
crashman

vCash: 714
Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
I am a Die hard Oilers fan . I love the skill they put together , but they are not scoring enough to make the playoffs . I have mention it before the Oilers need more grid and physical play and we need to trade a skill guy . Other Oilers fan jumped down my throat say skill trumps grit . I disagree . You need a balance . I will also say i think GMST is a joke he does nothing to improve our team . I do not want to see his smiling face again if we end up with a lottery pick .
Please help me fix my Oilers threw . Trade , UFA and drafts .
I post this under speculation because i am just thinking how to fix this once proud Team
I was surprised that they didn't move Hemsky for a gritty top 6 forward or top 4 defencesman. Instead they overpaid him and kept another skill player that they already have enough of.

crashman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:10 PM
haterbehatin

So sick of all these sky is falling posts from Oiler and non Oiler fans alike.

What does Edmonton need to do? The same thing they've been doing, allow the young core to grow together and try to make depth moves to acquire complimentary pieces when they can (Belanger, Eager, Fistric, Brown).

The Oilers this season are right about what was expected from them improved from the last couple seasons but not quite in the playoff hunt just yet. Have some of their recent lacking efforts been tough to watch? Absolutely but as someone above said now is not the time to make panic moves to try to make the playoffs this year at the expense of the next 5 to ten.

The Oilers just need to allow the young guys to grow, hope some of the defense prospects coming up over the next couple years turn into valuable contributors and hope the future looks bright enough that they can start to add a few impact free agents over the next few years to get them into contention.

Now is not the time to sell one of the talented forwards for pennies on the dollar to fill needs that should be addressed through either free agency, development of additional prospects or trades moving forward. Let's all not forget that the summer market should be interesting with teams making moves to get under the cap and teams yes even the Oilers will have a chance to pick up valuable players at favourable prices.

haterbehatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Thrill22
Feelin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
I was surprised that they didn't move Hemsky for a gritty top 6 forward or top 4 defencesman. Instead they overpaid him and kept another skill player that they already have enough of.
Hemsky had little to no trade value when they re-signed him - their only option was to sign him and hope that he gets back to the Hemsky of old

I think the Oilers only option right now is to ride it out and see where the season goes - failure probably means Tambellini gets axed and the team makes some small changes to get some different players to play with the core

Thrill22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:15 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanKiller12 View Post
I don't have a link, but last summer the oilers were getting calls from the islanders trying to pry him away. Also I know Snow would be reluctant to parting with Nino because of his size/skill combination. That is why I offered Hartiakenen, because he brings the same size albeit with less skill. That is where the 2nd comes in. This offer still might be low but I was thinking if they like Harti and don't like Nino the gap in value may close slightly.
The isles think Nino has 30 goal, powerforward potential.
That 2nd, doesn't close the gap between Hartiakenen's 3rd line potential and Nino's 1st line potential.

The Edmonton Journal reported last summer, that the Oilers called the isles asking if Streit were available. The isles ended up saying no. It's not a big stretch to think the isles would have eyed Hartiakenen as a possible pickup during their discussions.

Since last summer, the isles have had youngsters Ullstrom, Cizikas play well on the NYI 3rd and 4th lines, while and Nino/Nelson have play well on the AHL roster. I doubt we'll see Snow overpay for Hartiakenen with Nino+ Nelson+ Strome knocking on the door, expected to challenge for 2013-2014 nhl roster spots.

Kabanov, at 6'3 plays a physical style, he's very aggreesive with his puck pursuit and board battles. He's also in the mix.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:29 PM
HitmanKiller12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
The isles think Nino has 30 goal, powerforward potential.
That 2nd, doesn't close the gap between Hartiakenen's 3rd line potential and Nino's 1st line potential.

The Edmonton Journal reported last summer, that the Oilers called the isles asking if Streit were available. The isles ended up saying no. It's not a big stretch to think the isles would have eyed Hartiakenen as a possible pickup during their discussions.

Since last summer, the isles have had youngsters Ullstrom, Cizikas play well on the NYI 3rd and 4th lines, while and Nino/Nelson have play well on the AHL roster. I doubt we'll see Snow overpay for Hartiakenen with Nino+ Nelson+ Strome knocking on the door, expected to challenge for 2013-2014 nhl roster spots.

Kabanov, at 6'3 plays a physical style, he's very aggreesive with his puck pursuit and board battles. He's also in the mix.
That was not the article I was referring to. How long is it until Nino needs a change of scenery? Most top 5 forward picks from 3 years ago historically have become regular s in the NHL by this point, especially on a weaker team. Is it when players of later draft years such as strome become regulars and he is still on the outs?

Old
03-07-2013, 12:33 PM
Ricky Bobby

If they're still at the bottom of the Western Conference in two weeks:

-Trade Bulin, Whitney, Sutton for whatever you can get in return

-Try to reink Jones, Smid, Fistric but if you can't ship them out as well

-Realize that in order of trade value Yakupov, Hemsky and MPS are your top trade chips. Personally I'd trade Hemsky prior to the deadline to the highest bidder because of his age, trade value and cap hit

-Head into the off-season with lots of cap space and picks/prospects with a focus on improving the blueline. The dream can be to acquire a top end defender like OEL but more realistically I see targeting a very good defender like Johnson/Tyutin

-Plus target another guy who needs a change of scenery who only has 1 or 2 years but is overpaid on his deal but won't cost a lot to acquire like a Ballard or Martin

Ricky Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:36 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashman View Post
His value at the moment is much higher than it was last season. If he's healthy and still here after deadline day then I don't now what to say.

Last season: 69gp. 10-26-36 0.522ppg
This season: 22gp. 8-5-13 0.591ppg

It might not look like a huge increase but the team hasn't been scoring a ton and he's back to being a threat to dance through opposing defenses and score again. Overall he is a MUCH better player than he was last season coming off of shoulder surgery, his value should be considerably higher now than it was last February.

03-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Chayos

It a known fact that the oilers need grit, a top 6 center with size and anotehr top 2 d-man.

1) There is little to no chance that they can draft that Grit as they can't afford to wait for the player(s) to develop physically. This will have to be filled with trades. IMO the best b et would be to trade a couple of our Skill players for a 2nd and 3rd line center with good faceoff skills and physical play.They can afford to move one of their right wingers and Gagner to fill this hole.

Players available for Trade for this type of player: Hemsky, Gagner, Eberle, Yakupov, Hartikainen, picks.

Player I would Target: Hanzal, Dubinsky,Josh Bailey,Brayden Schenn, Couturier, Vermette

2) the Top 2 d-man would be a tougher nut to crack. I am sure it will cost one of the big 4. I think that the best move would be trading one of the Big four to Phonix for Yandle and one of the two centers listed above.

Chayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:43 PM
DK28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
They need to quit building the team like its a fantasy team you run on yahoo.

The team needs some balance and which means they need to prevent goals as effectively as they can produce them
Funny, I have thought, and in fact have said these very same words, myself. I agree with it.

At some point you have to look at the core group. Yes patience is needed with a young team, but great teams have balance between offensive skill/dynamic prowess and physical grit/toughness. This team lacks the latter in a big way. RNH, Eberle, Gagner, Hemsky, Hall, Pajaarvi will never offer that no matter how much they mature. Just not their game. Put them along side tough power forward types and look out.

I am not against smaller players or believe size cures all. Brad Marchand from the bruins, for example, would be a great substitute for trade. He is small left wing, but plays big and with grit. Goes to the tough areas and takes a beating and keeps on ticking, honey badger style. That is the difference.

The oilers are simply built wrong, too many of the same type of players, playing the same positions.

Last edited by DK28: 03-07-2013 at 12:49 PM.
DK28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:44 PM
PWJunior
SUCK IT HATERS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanKiller12 View Post
That was not the article I was referring to. How long is it until Nino needs a change of scenery? Most top 5 forward picks from 3 years ago historically have become regular s in the NHL by this point, especially on a weaker team. Is it when players of later draft years such as strome become regulars and he is still on the outs?
Is that so? Last time I checked, Johansen (#4 overall to CBJ) is in the minors. Connolly (#6 overall to TB) is also in the minors.

Hall and Seguin at 1-2 have been in the NHL since drafted, but they were also the 2 biggest slam dunks from that draft year.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:59 PM
DK28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post
Well, if we're talking about what the Oilers need to do to be more successful. One of them would be bringing in a stronger 2nd line center. I have no problem with Gagner. He has as much heart as anyone in the league...but someone's got to go. I'd prefer it be Hemsky or Paajarvi plus picks/prospects.
This

DK28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:04 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Nothing will happen.

Because Katz is still making money.
And he likes his employees to be players he loved watching in the past.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:04 PM
bsmith14

Fire Tambellini, his time is up.

Trade Hemsky, Hartikainen/Paajarvi, and Yakupov/Eberle for a top 6 fwd with size and a top 2 dman.

bsmith14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:08 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
They must trade Taylor Hall to the Sharks. That Will Fix Everything.
Taylor hall does not go anywhere . Eberle maybe , Yakupov maybe , but Taylor is here to stay

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:09 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith14 View Post
Fire Tambellini, his time is up.

Trade Hemsky, Hartikainen/Paajarvi, and Yakupov/Eberle for a top 6 fwd with size and a top 2 dman.
Agree with firing Tambellini . Hemsky agree , One of Yakupov or Eberle maybe

Old
03-07-2013, 01:11 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropIt View Post
They need to quit building the team like its a fantasy team you run on yahoo.

The team needs some balance and which means they need to prevent goals as effectively as they can produce them
Well then look at their goals against it is average . Around 10th over all . yes it still need improving , but it is not as bad as some make it out to be

Old
03-07-2013, 01:13 PM
LeftCoast

Up front, Edmonton has too many guys with pretty much the same physical strengths, skills, size and game. In spite of all the skill they have, they are not scoring because it's too easy to force them to the outside. You're just not going to score much in the NHL from outside the faceoff circles. It's also too easy to push them off the puck. They don't really have anyone in their top 6 who can consistently win puck battles on the boards or establish position in front of the goalie. So when you're forcedto shoot from 30' or more away, you don't have a net front presence and you can't retrieve pucks on the boards, you are not going to score a lot. There are just too many 5'11" speedy skilled forwards (or 6'1" and 180lb) who play a finesse game. Ryan Smyth should be that guy, but at this stage of his career he is no longer a top 6 forward.

Also, other than Justin Schultz, they don't get much push from their D. Ryan Whitney is past it. With the way the season is going, you wonder if it might be worth giving Marancin a shot. He's definitely got some defensive holes in his game, but he can skate and move the puck.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:13 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Marc Staal (healthy, of course) + Kreider for Yakupov + Smid + Nick Schultz, add some minor pieces on each side.

Staal would be a great fit in Edmonton. Shutdown #1 who can move the puck well too.

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:14 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleedingoil2121 View Post
To edm:
Taveras
neddittier
striet

to islanders
whitney
belaneger
and a 1st
problems solved
Come on it got to be with in reason . The NYI are not trading Taveras . The crap you just mention only has one decent thing . It the 1st rd pick and that is still an unproven asset

Old
03-07-2013, 01:16 PM
Sterling31
YNWA

Too bad the Habs are looking so good. Yak for Subban is something that makes sense.

Subban adds the needed flare. Yak back with Galch, the NE will be scared of the future.

Sterling31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Kris Chreider
Pass Off The Pads

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
Come on it got to be with in reason . The NYI are not trading Taveras . The crap you just mention only has one decent thing . It the 1st rd pick and that is still an unproven asset

Not sure if serious or....

Kris Chreider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:19 PM
tempest2i
Feral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Chreider View Post
Marc Staal (healthy, of course) + Kreider for Yakupov + Smid + Nick Schultz, add some minor pieces on each side.

Staal would be a great fit in Edmonton. Shutdown #1 who can move the puck well too.
I'd be very weary of Staal right now. I hope he makes a full recovery, but I wouldn't trade for him until he comes back and proves that he's made a full recovery.

tempest2i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:20 PM
HitmanKiller12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Is that so? Last time I checked, Johansen (#4 overall to CBJ) is in the minors. Connolly (#6 overall to TB) is also in the minors.

Hall and Seguin at 1-2 have been in the NHL since drafted, but they were also the 2 biggest slam dunks from that draft year.
Johansen is now becoming a NHL regular and Connolly was set back because his draft year was riddled with injuries.