HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Targets

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2013, 09:45 AM
  #301
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold the Pickles View Post
I'm totally fine with re-signing patty if he's willing to take a pay cut.
Yah, Patty is already in a secondary role on the team. I just don't see him causing a problem going forward. He's got the exact right skillset for the team we should be trying to build and he has little bargaining power in a rebuild. You start trading people then sit down with Patty (who at this point should be a bit nervous) and say "Patty, we would like to keep you through this rebuild, but we need a commitment from you that you want to be here long term and do so at a price the team can afford". I suspect if you offered him a 4-5 year deal at $5m he would likely take it.

Patty is just too versatile to trade.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 09:57 AM
  #302
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Fistfullofbeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Country: India
Posts: 7,997
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Clowe should be traded
Murray should be traded
One of Demers or Braun should be traded
One of Couture, Pavelski, or Thornton could be traded (Pavelski most likely)
Why would you even consider that?

__________________
What?! Look, he thinks he's people!
Fistfullofbeer is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 10:29 AM
  #303
SonomaShark
The sidebar is suck
 
SonomaShark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Sonoma County, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 4,133
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Clowe should be traded
Murray should be traded
One of Demers or Braun should be traded
One of Couture, Pavelski, or Thornton could be traded (Pavelski most likely)
Trade Thornton. Make Pavelski the 1C, with Patty and a someone like a Marian Hossa on his wing. Can Pavs replace JT? Nope, but with the right wingers, they'll dominate.

SonomaShark is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 10:44 AM
  #304
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 31,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Lol.
You can laugh all you want but thats how DW and co. will view things. There will be no changes and everyone will ***** and cry as usual.

Gene Parmesan is online now  
Old
03-07-2013, 10:47 AM
  #305
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaShark View Post
Trade Thornton. Make Pavelski the 1C, with Patty and a someone like a Marian Hossa on his wing. Can Pavs replace JT? Nope, but with the right wingers, they'll dominate.
Couture is a superior player to Pavelski and the only player on the team with the ability to be a #1c. Pavelski is a good player, but he's going to command a big payday very shortly and he's best as a #2c or #1 winger. Plus you can't put Pavelski on Couture's wing (too slow) so how much do you want to pay our #2c? That's the problem we face with Pav's and why he will likely be traded.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 10:54 AM
  #306
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 31,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Couture is a superior player to Pavelski and the only player on the team with the ability to be a #1c. Pavelski is a good player, but he's going to command a big payday very shortly and he's best as a #2c or #1 winger. Plus you can't put Pavelski on Couture's wing (too slow) so how much do you want to pay our #2c? That's the problem we face with Pav's and why he will likely be traded.
Hes also very easily moveable and on a good contract. Any team that needs an elite 2nd line center would love to have Pavs.

Gene Parmesan is online now  
Old
03-07-2013, 10:59 AM
  #307
sjshrky27
Registered User
 
sjshrky27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: CA
Country: United States
Posts: 3,638
vCash: 500
Im at a loss to why some people think JT should be traded instead of Marleau.

sjshrky27 is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 11:06 AM
  #308
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
Im at a loss to why some people think JT should be traded instead of Marleau.
It has a lot to do with the recency effect than anything else. Thornton is playing poorly right now and Marleau is playing well. The reverse happened last season when Thornton was playing well and Marleau was playing poorly. I don't want either traded.

WTFetus is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 11:13 AM
  #309
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,429
vCash: 500
The top-6 has lost a bit of its versatility. Don't get me wrong. They are good enough defenisvely that even when not scoring, they can contribute. But, overall, there aren't enough dimensions. Some of this is because some of SJ's more versatile offensive players (Havlat, Pavelski, and Clowe) have gone a little cold.

That is just my observation. I feel that Thornton is generally talented enough (or perhaps WAS talented enough) that he could power through a lot of systems he wasn't suited for. Marleau, however, as skilled as he is, clearly struggles in certain situations.

This is actually besides the current slump, which is 90% due to the bottom-six not contributing.

OrrNumber4 is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 11:14 AM
  #310
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson
 
Bizz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Jose
Posts: 2,688
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
Im at a loss to why some people think JT should be traded instead of Marleau.
because god forbid he has one bad game.

you don't see Penguins fans wanting Crosby gone every time they lose and/or he goes without a point, do they?

Bizz06 is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 11:20 AM
  #311
one2gamble
Registered User
 
one2gamble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,946
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
because god forbid he has one bad game.

you don't see Penguins fans wanting Crosby gone every time they lose and/or he goes without a point, do they?
Its not about a bad game, its about 14 games where the team isnt scoring at all and hes doing the same stupid ass **** that is compounding the problem.

one2gamble is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 11:29 AM
  #312
OrrNumber4
Registered User
 
OrrNumber4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Country: Switzerland
Posts: 7,429
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
Its not about a bad game, its about 14 games where the team isnt scoring at all and hes doing the same stupid ass **** that is compounding the problem.
*Shrugs*

Thornton has 10 points in the last 14 games...not too bad.

OrrNumber4 is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 11:44 AM
  #313
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
It has a lot to do with the recency effect than anything else. Thornton is playing poorly right now and Marleau is playing well. The reverse happened last season when Thornton was playing well and Marleau was playing poorly. I don't want either traded.
Has nothing to do with it. Has to do with what kind of system we think this team should be playing and which players suit that system. Marleau suits a system structured around speed and scoring on the rush, JT does not. I like JT too, but if I had to trade one it would be JT, without question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
because god forbid he has one bad game.

you don't see Penguins fans wanting Crosby gone every time they lose and/or he goes without a point, do they?
Totally different players and totally different reasons. Thornton is not Crosby, and no one is doing what you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
*Shrugs*

Thornton has 10 points in the last 14 games...not too bad.
Thornton is an extremely talented player, there is no denying that. The point isn't about production, it's about what is best for this team long term. They certainly will not trade Thornton before the deadline, that isn't going to happen, but if the Sharks do blow this season as it appears they will some people are arguing for a rebuild, which is a perfectly valid argument. The point isn't that JT is the source of all of our problems (he absolutely is not, and neither is Marleau) the point is if we are rebuilding does it make sense to retain Thornton? No, I don't think it does.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 11:48 AM
  #314
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson
 
Bizz06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: San Jose
Posts: 2,688
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
*Shrugs*

Thornton has 10 points in the last 14 games...not too bad.
some nights he's pretty much the only one providing the scoring. I just find it funny that people here are so hellbent on trading away the one person thats been contributing the most offensively, on a team thats been struggling for offense no less. Yet over the years theyve been hellbent on keeping mediocre players (lol, Ehrhoff) that arent worth a damn, and complained on several occasions when DW has shipped them off or they leave via free agency without an offer. Its like people here WANT the Sharks to suck.

Bizz06 is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 11:50 AM
  #315
WTFetus
Moderator
Most popular
 
WTFetus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: San Francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 11,860
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Has nothing to do with it. Has to do with what kind of system we think this team should be playing and which players suit that system. Marleau suits a system structured around speed and scoring on the rush, JT does not.
You seem to be ignoring the fact that the majority of Marleau's transition goals in 08-10 were from a great stretch pass or rush from Thornton. They stopped doing that in 10-11 and especially last season, which makes me think it has more to do with coaching than playstyles.

WTFetus is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 11:58 AM
  #316
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
some nights he's pretty much the only one providing the scoring. I just find it funny that people here are so hellbent on trading away the one person thats been contributing the most offensively, on a team thats been struggling for offense no less. Yet over the years theyve been hellbent on keeping mediocre players (lol, Ehrhoff) that arent worth a damn, and complained on several occasions when DW has shipped them off or they leave via free agency without an offer. Its like people here WANT the Sharks to suck.
People complained that Ehrhoff was traded for garbage, and he was, and it was stupid. People said Ehrhoff was better than Vlasic, and at the time he was, but obviously he regressed and Vlasic has improved. Does not make either argument more or less valid at the time it was made. You can't use hindsight and pretend like all your predictions were 100% right, I assure you they were not. Obviously other gm's agreed since Ehrhoff got a huge payday and Vlasic, even on a brand new contract, is paid substantially less.

I find it funny that some people around here use hindsight to cast judgments on the value of other people's opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
You seem to be ignoring the fact that the majority of Marleau's transition goals in 08-10 were from a great stretch pass or rush from Thornton. They stopped doing that in 10-11 and especially last season, which makes me think it has more to do with coaching than playstyles.
Not ignoring it. Again. i've said from the start, get a new coach, see where things are at, then make your decisions. The only catch right now is the trade deadline and expiring contracts don't really give us enough time to make those decisions optimally. That's DW's fault.

My arguments for trading Thornton are ONLY in the event of a rebuild. I'm just saying IF you rebuild you trade Thornton, that's it. Keeping him through a rebuild would essentially sabotage the rebuild in my opinion.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 11:59 AM
  #317
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 31,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
some nights he's pretty much the only one providing the scoring. I just find it funny that people here are so hellbent on trading away the one person thats been contributing the most offensively, on a team thats been struggling for offense no less. Yet over the years theyve been hellbent on keeping mediocre players (lol, Ehrhoff) that arent worth a damn, and complained on several occasions when DW has shipped them off or they leave via free agency without an offer. Its like people here WANT the Sharks to suck.
I don't want them to suck..i want them to change. A new vision so to speak. This team hasn't had an identity for two years, no defined roles for the bottom six and you never know what kind of team would show from game to game. This isn't going to happen unless the org shows a willingness to change from top to bottom.

Gene Parmesan is online now  
Old
03-07-2013, 12:10 PM
  #318
Alaskanice
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: 1 1/2 hours away
Country: United States
Posts: 394
vCash: 500
Interestingly enough, TSN's main story regarding the trade rumors has a big picture of Clowe.

Alaskanice is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 12:15 PM
  #319
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.
 
Gene Parmesan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 31,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskanice View Post
Interestingly enough, TSN's main story regarding the trade rumors has a big picture of Clowe.
Not buying it until it happens.

Gene Parmesan is online now  
Old
03-07-2013, 02:28 PM
  #320
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Fistfullofbeer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Whidbey Island, WA
Country: India
Posts: 7,997
vCash: 50
Wild speculation here .. but is it possible that Jumbo feels that the window for the SC is closed in SJ and he is just not giving a crap anymore. Possibly forcing DW to trade him?

I would be surprised if this were true but lets be honest he knows as well as anyone else .. whatever is going on in SJ just isnt working.

Fistfullofbeer is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 02:51 PM
  #321
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks
 
TheJuxtaposer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Diego, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 26,388
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
Wild speculation here .. but is it possible that Jumbo feels that the window for the SC is closed in SJ and he is just not giving a crap anymore. Possibly forcing DW to trade him?

I would be surprised if this were true but lets be honest he knows as well as anyone else .. whatever is going on in SJ just isnt working.
Joe doesn't seem the type to do that to the team... He wouldn't hold us hostage... I hope.

TheJuxtaposer is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 03:05 PM
  #322
TealManV
A man has said
 
TealManV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: California
Country: United States
Posts: 621
vCash: 500
BOS put Chris Bourque on waivers. I wonder if DW should pick him up? He has 1 more goal than Clowe

TealManV is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 03:10 PM
  #323
Hold the Pickles
Registered User
 
Hold the Pickles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: 03-K64
Country: United States
Posts: 2,947
vCash: 500
Don't trade Joe, he with 2 scrubs is formidable 2nd line--Or an amazing 3rd line when JT gets older. Get Clowe out of the top six or trade him and unfortunately, I think Pavs is the man out... cause with JT and Couture, 2 is about the most "slow" top six players you can have in todays NHL.

Hold the Pickles is online now  
Old
03-07-2013, 03:14 PM
  #324
hockeyball
Registered User
 
hockeyball's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 17,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TealManV View Post
BOS put Chris Bourque on waivers. I wonder if DW should pick him up? He has 1 more goal than Clowe
He's worthless.

hockeyball is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 03:18 PM
  #325
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:
 
Mafoofoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 12,973
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
Im at a loss to why some people think JT should be traded instead of Marleau.
Because everyone wants him to retire a Shark for the novelty and hates good players.

Mafoofoo is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.