HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Targets

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 09:45 AM
hockeyball

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hold the Pickles View Post
I'm totally fine with re-signing patty if he's willing to take a pay cut.
Yah, Patty is already in a secondary role on the team. I just don't see him causing a problem going forward. He's got the exact right skillset for the team we should be trying to build and he has little bargaining power in a rebuild. You start trading people then sit down with Patty (who at this point should be a bit nervous) and say "Patty, we would like to keep you through this rebuild, but we need a commitment from you that you want to be here long term and do so at a price the team can afford". I suspect if you offered him a 4-5 year deal at $5m he would likely take it.

Patty is just too versatile to trade.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:57 AM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Clowe should be traded
Murray should be traded
One of Demers or Braun should be traded
One of Couture, Pavelski, or Thornton could be traded (Pavelski most likely)
Why would you even consider that?

03-07-2013, 10:29 AM
SonomaShark
The sidebar is suck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great 88 View Post
Clowe should be traded
Murray should be traded
One of Demers or Braun should be traded
One of Couture, Pavelski, or Thornton could be traded (Pavelski most likely)
Trade Thornton. Make Pavelski the 1C, with Patty and a someone like a Marian Hossa on his wing. Can Pavs replace JT? Nope, but with the right wingers, they'll dominate.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Lol.
You can laugh all you want but thats how DW and co. will view things. There will be no changes and everyone will ***** and cry as usual.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:47 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonomaShark View Post
Trade Thornton. Make Pavelski the 1C, with Patty and a someone like a Marian Hossa on his wing. Can Pavs replace JT? Nope, but with the right wingers, they'll dominate.
Couture is a superior player to Pavelski and the only player on the team with the ability to be a #1c. Pavelski is a good player, but he's going to command a big payday very shortly and he's best as a #2c or #1 winger. Plus you can't put Pavelski on Couture's wing (too slow) so how much do you want to pay our #2c? That's the problem we face with Pav's and why he will likely be traded.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:54 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Couture is a superior player to Pavelski and the only player on the team with the ability to be a #1c. Pavelski is a good player, but he's going to command a big payday very shortly and he's best as a #2c or #1 winger. Plus you can't put Pavelski on Couture's wing (too slow) so how much do you want to pay our #2c? That's the problem we face with Pav's and why he will likely be traded.
Hes also very easily moveable and on a good contract. Any team that needs an elite 2nd line center would love to have Pavs.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:59 AM
sjshrky27

Im at a loss to why some people think JT should be traded instead of Marleau.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:06 AM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjshrky27 View Post
It has a lot to do with the recency effect than anything else. Thornton is playing poorly right now and Marleau is playing well. The reverse happened last season when Thornton was playing well and Marleau was playing poorly. I don't want either traded.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:13 AM
OrrNumber4

The top-6 has lost a bit of its versatility. Don't get me wrong. They are good enough defenisvely that even when not scoring, they can contribute. But, overall, there aren't enough dimensions. Some of this is because some of SJ's more versatile offensive players (Havlat, Pavelski, and Clowe) have gone a little cold.

That is just my observation. I feel that Thornton is generally talented enough (or perhaps WAS talented enough) that he could power through a lot of systems he wasn't suited for. Marleau, however, as skilled as he is, clearly struggles in certain situations.

This is actually besides the current slump, which is 90% due to the bottom-six not contributing.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

Quote:
because god forbid he has one bad game.

you don't see Penguins fans wanting Crosby gone every time they lose and/or he goes without a point, do they?

Old
03-07-2013, 11:20 AM
one2gamble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post

you don't see Penguins fans wanting Crosby gone every time they lose and/or he goes without a point, do they?
Its not about a bad game, its about 14 games where the team isnt scoring at all and hes doing the same stupid ass **** that is compounding the problem.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:29 AM
OrrNumber4

Quote:
Originally Posted by one2gamble View Post
Its not about a bad game, its about 14 games where the team isnt scoring at all and hes doing the same stupid ass **** that is compounding the problem.
*Shrugs*

Thornton has 10 points in the last 14 games...not too bad.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:44 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
It has a lot to do with the recency effect than anything else. Thornton is playing poorly right now and Marleau is playing well. The reverse happened last season when Thornton was playing well and Marleau was playing poorly. I don't want either traded.
Has nothing to do with it. Has to do with what kind of system we think this team should be playing and which players suit that system. Marleau suits a system structured around speed and scoring on the rush, JT does not. I like JT too, but if I had to trade one it would be JT, without question.

Quote:

Totally different players and totally different reasons. Thornton is not Crosby, and no one is doing what you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
*Shrugs*

Thornton is an extremely talented player, there is no denying that. The point isn't about production, it's about what is best for this team long term. They certainly will not trade Thornton before the deadline, that isn't going to happen, but if the Sharks do blow this season as it appears they will some people are arguing for a rebuild, which is a perfectly valid argument. The point isn't that JT is the source of all of our problems (he absolutely is not, and neither is Marleau) the point is if we are rebuilding does it make sense to retain Thornton? No, I don't think it does.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroyain10 View Post
*Shrugs*

some nights he's pretty much the only one providing the scoring. I just find it funny that people here are so hellbent on trading away the one person thats been contributing the most offensively, on a team thats been struggling for offense no less. Yet over the years theyve been hellbent on keeping mediocre players (lol, Ehrhoff) that arent worth a damn, and complained on several occasions when DW has shipped them off or they leave via free agency without an offer. Its like people here WANT the Sharks to suck.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:50 AM
WTFetus
Most popular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
Has nothing to do with it. Has to do with what kind of system we think this team should be playing and which players suit that system. Marleau suits a system structured around speed and scoring on the rush, JT does not.
You seem to be ignoring the fact that the majority of Marleau's transition goals in 08-10 were from a great stretch pass or rush from Thornton. They stopped doing that in 10-11 and especially last season, which makes me think it has more to do with coaching than playstyles.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:58 AM
hockeyball

Quote:
some nights he's pretty much the only one providing the scoring. I just find it funny that people here are so hellbent on trading away the one person thats been contributing the most offensively, on a team thats been struggling for offense no less. Yet over the years theyve been hellbent on keeping mediocre players (lol, Ehrhoff) that arent worth a damn, and complained on several occasions when DW has shipped them off or they leave via free agency without an offer. Its like people here WANT the Sharks to suck.
People complained that Ehrhoff was traded for garbage, and he was, and it was stupid. People said Ehrhoff was better than Vlasic, and at the time he was, but obviously he regressed and Vlasic has improved. Does not make either argument more or less valid at the time it was made. You can't use hindsight and pretend like all your predictions were 100% right, I assure you they were not. Obviously other gm's agreed since Ehrhoff got a huge payday and Vlasic, even on a brand new contract, is paid substantially less.

I find it funny that some people around here use hindsight to cast judgments on the value of other people's opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFetus View Post
You seem to be ignoring the fact that the majority of Marleau's transition goals in 08-10 were from a great stretch pass or rush from Thornton. They stopped doing that in 10-11 and especially last season, which makes me think it has more to do with coaching than playstyles.
Not ignoring it. Again. i've said from the start, get a new coach, see where things are at, then make your decisions. The only catch right now is the trade deadline and expiring contracts don't really give us enough time to make those decisions optimally. That's DW's fault.

My arguments for trading Thornton are ONLY in the event of a rebuild. I'm just saying IF you rebuild you trade Thornton, that's it. Keeping him through a rebuild would essentially sabotage the rebuild in my opinion.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:59 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
I don't want them to suck..i want them to change. A new vision so to speak. This team hasn't had an identity for two years, no defined roles for the bottom six and you never know what kind of team would show from game to game. This isn't going to happen unless the org shows a willingness to change from top to bottom.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Alaskanice

Interestingly enough, TSN's main story regarding the trade rumors has a big picture of Clowe.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:15 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ice up, son.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskanice View Post
Interestingly enough, TSN's main story regarding the trade rumors has a big picture of Clowe.
Not buying it until it happens.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Wild speculation here .. but is it possible that Jumbo feels that the window for the SC is closed in SJ and he is just not giving a crap anymore. Possibly forcing DW to trade him?

I would be surprised if this were true but lets be honest he knows as well as anyone else .. whatever is going on in SJ just isnt working.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:51 PM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
Wild speculation here .. but is it possible that Jumbo feels that the window for the SC is closed in SJ and he is just not giving a crap anymore. Possibly forcing DW to trade him?

I would be surprised if this were true but lets be honest he knows as well as anyone else .. whatever is going on in SJ just isnt working.
Joe doesn't seem the type to do that to the team... He wouldn't hold us hostage... I hope.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:05 PM
TealManV
A man has said

BOS put Chris Bourque on waivers. I wonder if DW should pick him up? He has 1 more goal than Clowe

Old
03-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Hold the Pickles

Don't trade Joe, he with 2 scrubs is formidable 2nd line--Or an amazing 3rd line when JT gets older. Get Clowe out of the top six or trade him and unfortunately, I think Pavs is the man out... cause with JT and Couture, 2 is about the most "slow" top six players you can have in todays NHL.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:14 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealManV View Post
BOS put Chris Bourque on waivers. I wonder if DW should pick him up? He has 1 more goal than Clowe
He's worthless.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Because everyone wants him to retire a Shark for the novelty and hates good players.

Closed Thread