HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Booth - All The Tools....No Toolbox

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 11:20 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
If this were his 2nd season, I would agree. In his first year though? He has time. Not the first guy to put low shot totals in his first season.
He does have time. But he won't be successful this season unless he can get the puck to the net more.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:50 AM
vector209

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I wasn't trying to attack all arguments, just one.

But Booth is coming off injury and needs to be treated with patience. When he's on he's a very useful player for us. One that drives the net with confidence and throws his body out there. When he's not, well I think you know.

But let me ask you, when the Sedins aren't scoring what exactly is it that they bring to the table? It's the same argument you present, with the same answer. Of course they score more often, but besides some playoff series it's been the same story.
No. This is what I was arguing but you missed my point. I wasn't talking about his stats specifically (which have regressed even further as time went along), but rather his play style. I saw a guy who had no hockey sense and creativity (all he did was bull rush up the ice with his head down) and that hasn't changed.

He doesn't need to be treated with anymore patience because what you see is what you get with him. He needs the Brian Burke 'I'll drive him to the airport' style treatment. Getting rid of this overrated anchor can't come soon enough.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:58 AM
Chubros

I just realized what Booth is: a perfect candidate for the 4th line. He's fast, energetic, but doesn't bring much else to the table. Too bad he makes $4m+

Gillis better buy him out at the end of the year.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:06 AM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Found a one of MAKs videos on Booth, must have been for when the trade happend

Old
03-07-2013, 01:09 AM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallPoppySyndrome View Post

Ballard and Garrison has nice highlights too...

All in Florida jerseys

Old
03-07-2013, 01:11 AM
vector209

Quote:

That's not Canuck David Booth, that's pre-Mike Richards hit David Booth. The post-Mike Richards hit David Booth has gone full Ovechkin.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:12 AM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
Ballard and Garrison has nice highlights too...

All in Florida jerseys
Ok, thanks for the tip, I will look them up later, maybe post some in there threads if you really want to be helpful.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:18 AM
WinterEmpire
Unregistered User

Quote:

Ugh, that video makes me upset. Look at all the other players that join Booth when he's on a rush. He's essentially doing it all by himself here, becoming the focus of attention from all defenders and not being able to get good scoring chances. He's been shoehorned into an along the board puck control player.

Just another case of AV not being able to build a system for the various talents of the players on this team.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:24 AM
Love

I've always liked David Booth. He's big, strong, fast and has some skill too.

I'm not really worried at all about his lack of offensive production. The guy has been pretty unlucky with injuries throughout his career including this year and that might be the reason for the slow offensive start.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:31 AM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Ok, thanks for the tip, I will look them up later, maybe post some in there threads if you really want to be helpful.
just saying... they all look good before they put on the Orca

Old
03-07-2013, 02:01 AM
Verviticus

vCash: 50
booth doesnt need to be treated with patience. his current and recent past are sufficient to keep him onboard

he has a 2.33 on ice sh% right now. if that's not setting ****ing alarms and sirens off in your head, you need to get a new one

Old
03-07-2013, 02:05 AM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
He does have time. But he won't be successful this season unless he can get the puck to the net more.
????????

in his limited time on the ice this year his line, whomever he's with, is controlling 65% of events on the ice. that's "vancouver when they're down by a goal" level of dominance. that's "better than the la kings" level. his line is getting tons of pucks on net and sooner or later they're going to go in

Old
03-07-2013, 02:08 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
booth doesnt need to be treated with patience. his current and recent past are sufficient to keep him onboard

he has a 2.33 on ice sh% right now. if that's not setting ****ing alarms and sirens off in your head, you need to get a new one

It sounds like you are saying he's been unlucky? Hence, advocating to keep him onboard...

Or, are you implying his shot selection might not be the best?

Edit: Ah nevermind, you just clarified things.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:11 AM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
It sounds like you are saying he's been unlucky? Hence, advocating to keep him onboard...

Or, are you implying his shot selection might not be the best?

Edit: Ah nevermind, you just clarified things.
your average echl goon could probably score on more than 2.33% of their shots in the nhl. it might take them a million minutes of ice time to get enough shots to get a good sample, but 2.33% is way too low to be a real number, no matter how depressed booth's sh% has been throughout his career

and since it's on ice sh%, it would have to be a trio of echl goons and a pair of beer league defencemen lol

Old
03-07-2013, 02:15 AM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
your average echl goon could probably score on more than 2.33% of their shots in the nhl. it might take them a million minutes of ice time to get enough shots to get a good sample, but 2.33% is way too low to be a real number, no matter how depressed booth's sh% has been throughout his career

and since it's on ice sh%, it would have to be a trio of echl goons and a pair of beer league defencemen lol

I see what you are saying, just needed further clarification.

I'm a Booth fan, but I also understand that I'm not going to be able to convince people strictly based on a statistical argument. He's not the perfect player, that much is clear. But he brings far more to the table than some are willing to admit. A very underrated player IMO. He just has to convert, or his line, for people to start liking him again.

Based on a number of factors, I see him as part of this team for some time yet.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:19 AM
Verviticus

well, yeah. you don't have to convince people, just tell them that you understand what they don't, and it will come soon enough

Old
03-07-2013, 03:18 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by NugentHopkinsfan View Post
Sounds like quite the grinder for 4.2 million. He should be making less than Hansen even if he is scoring because he is not a complete hockey player at all.
Travis Zajac has 6 points in 20 games and he makes 5.7 million.

So Booth sees the ice like Jan Bulis. Bulis got 25 goals in Motreal.

These guys just need the right linemates

Old
03-07-2013, 04:41 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by dps View Post
. I liked him with kesler and Higgins last year before he took a knee to the knee.
Same, had 12 points in 15 games when he hit his stride and was playing his game, that seems long lost on Canucks fans now though.

Also long lost is the fact he would have gotten 20 goals last year if he wasn't injured. Oh well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP View Post
Fail

The less time Schroeder is on the ice the greater the chance of the Canucks winning.
He's a poor man's Steve Kariya, a Josh Holden wannabe, a past his prime Dan Woodley.

Get over him already.
Actually this post was a fail.

Were you saying the same things about Cody Hodgson after the 2011 playoffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker View Post
Top 6 players shouldnt be missing tap ins
Unfortunately. It happens to alot of top 6 players, even star players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker View Post
some people on here think hes 'the most creative player outside of Sedins' . 1 shot per game........not exactly offense generator.
Not sure how you are supposed to generate offense with Sestito and Dale "Stone hands" Weise.

Last I checked he was doing pretty well in between Hansen and Raymond earlier. Although for some reason our coach decided to abruptly change things, even though it was quite a successful 3rd line. How odd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
I see what you are saying, just needed further clarification.

I'm a Booth fan, but I also understand that I'm not going to be able to convince people strictly based on a statistical argument. He's not the perfect player, that much is clear. But he brings far more to the table than some are willing to admit. A very underrated player IMO. He just has to convert, or his line, for people to start liking him again.

Based on a number of factors, I see him as part of this team for some time yet.
I agree, he brings what we need really. He drives the net, creates scoring opportunities, battles hard in the tough areas, fearless. Draws penalties and is a major problem to defend against.

Would have been great to have him against Boston in 2011.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:12 PM
GJB
- - - -

Flies fast down the wing, crosses the blueline, shoots, other team recovers puck. Posssession Lost.

/ David Booth

Old
03-07-2013, 12:13 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJB View Post
Flies fast down the wing, crosses the blueline, shoots, other team recovers puck. Posssession Lost.

/ David Booth
Except for the "Possession Lost" part. The puck is rarely not on our stick when Booth is on the ice.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:31 PM
blendini

Only played 7 games since last May. His skating has come back but it is taking more time for his scoring. He's easily a 20g a season scorer, so he does have decent hands. He's one of the few players that go to the net and he has good size.

I like him on the same line as Kassian, but Lappy is looking slow this year. The 3rd line has looked dangerous in the last few games. I would like to see Schroeder or a deadline acquisition centering that line.

He will start scoring in the near future.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

"Why can't he just skate around the perimeter and then fall down? BUM. GET HIM ON THE FOURTH LINE."

Old
03-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Fictional Realism
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
The thing that surprised me about Booth is he doesn't seem to have a very good shot. I thought coming over he was a sniper-type player, but he's more of a high-end mucker who can bang in pucks with his size. His back hand is absolutely atrocious from what I've seen. Does he use a weird curve on his stick or something? He plays really physical though, which I like ... and he is quite a handful down low with Kassian.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:15 PM
B-rock

I've been critical of Booth but he's playing a great game right now, and just needs a puck to go in the net for him to get the monkey off his back. My criticism is that he's got his head down too much and misses some great passing opportunities. He'll always suffer from this. However, I've warmed to the fact that he takes the body hard, and is absolutely fearless about driving the net. If he and Kassian can start to gel, with Kass feeding him the puck in open areas, they could be an absolutely dominant line.

Lapierre isn't really helping their cause at this point however. I like Lappy, but he's not going to drive offence unless it's on the 4th line with lesser players.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:54 PM
ARSix

All I care about is this: when Booth is on the ice, the Canucks generate SIGNIFICANTLY more shots and shot opportunities and scoring chances than their opponents. As long as that is true, he is making a positive contribution to the team, and the production will come in time.

Booth has been one of the best players on the ice for the past few games.

Closed Thread