HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey without fighting.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2013, 01:03 PM
  #326
pld459666
Registered User
 
pld459666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Danbury, CT
Country: United States
Posts: 16,894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Random Oracle View Post
It's much more likely to happen with fights, at least if you fight repeatedly.


By the way, I really liked the New York Times' article series on Boogaard. Here's an excerpt from part 1.
Read the whole article.

Feel bad for Boogaard and his family.

Still he knew the risks and did what he wanted to do, get to the NHL by any means necessary.

That article doesn't change that fact.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:05 PM
  #327
Joey Hoser
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Guelph
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,875
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
I just think, and really believe that fighting in the game of hockey should be something meaningful...not just because two guys who otherwise, wouldn't be in the NHL, decide it's time to get noticed.

But a scene like yesterday with McLaren and Dziurzinski.....sorry, I can't get down with that. ( I realize that this is just a personal opinion)
I agree with your general sentiment, but that fight was meaningful. The Battle of Ontario is an emotional one and establishing physical dominance early is important.

Now, I don't like seeing a guy go down like he did, and if I could turn back time I'd prevent that fight from happening just because of that ugly result, but that fight had purpose. That Ottawa bench deflated after it.

Joey Hoser is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:05 PM
  #328
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lollipop King View Post
Sure...let's just allow people who have never played the game and want all violence out of it to speak for the good of the game....
i'm not speaking for the good of the game...i'm speaking for myself.

Also, if we just allowed people who have played the game to have opinions...then this board wouldn't exist would it?

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:07 PM
  #329
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Hoser View Post
I agree with your general sentiment, but that fight was meaningful. The Battle of Ontario is an emotional one and establishing physical dominance early is important.

Now, I don't like seeing a guy go down like he did, and if I could turn back time I'd prevent that fight from happening just because of that ugly result, but that fight had purpose. That Ottawa bench deflated after it.
Actually quite the opposite, Chris Neil went out after that and abused Colton Orr...what deflated the Ottawa bench was the goal scored soon after.

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:07 PM
  #330
LiveeviL
No unique points
 
LiveeviL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Jämtland, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,663
vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plante View Post
This is the thing.

Fans spout this nonstop, but i've never heard someone playing say it.

Do you really think the guys on the bench think about that, think they just go, "Oh guys, that was staged, geez how dumb!!"

......
I do not know what the guy you responded to thinks, but still. "Staged fights" in hockey vocabulary is not really staged in say the wrestling meaning. What we (or just I) mean is this squaring off fights between players who really do not stand out in another way. Non staged fights are the heated fights, players more or less in a frenzy (e.g. MacCarthy vs Lemieux).

Non fighting leauges as SEL got a lot of these heated fights which can not be taken away as the players don't give a damn about the rules just then and there.

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:07 PM
  #331
madinsomniac
Registered User
 
madinsomniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa
Country: United States
Posts: 3,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZARTONK View Post
How can you enact a law to ban fighting in the NHL when there are teams in 16 states, 1 district and 5 provinces? All of these would have to pass the same law...

The only way to ban fighting is for the NHL to do it. Granted there might be some pressure by politicians.
It wouldnt have to be enacted in all states at once. If, say , New York decided that hockey fights would have to be sanctioned like a boxing match or UFC fight is to be legal, and otherwise the partcipants would be jailed for whatever... well then any team playing in that state would have to follow those rules.

Never underestimate the grandstanding ability of politicians and the stupid laws that can be made from them. Once one state goes, the rest will follow... like smoking or anything else they deem politically incorrect :/

madinsomniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:08 PM
  #332
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps
 
billybudd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 12,578
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar4Canes View Post
Bring back indoor smoking and the girly-men will go back to whining about that instead of trying to change the game of hockey.
As an ex-smoker, this post had me laughing out loud at my desk.

billybudd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:09 PM
  #333
bud12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,731
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Evidently...you don't.

I don't mind fighting, it is entertaining...I just don't like fighting without reason, no emotion. Just fighting because it's my job.

Now get over yourself
so because YOU don't like it you think they should stop it? Your the one that cry about it , not me. Your just mad because your boy got KO'ed.

bud12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:10 PM
  #334
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by misha1976 View Post
Sigh. If I didn't think fighting were both a) integral to NHL style hockey and b) awesome, I 'd switch sides.

Unfortunately...that's also a part of hockey culture. Somehow, if you value safety and quality of life, then somehow you're 'yellow'.

This is the same type of attitude that poisons players when they enter the NHL....

Unless you fit into the NHL's template of what is a hockey player/fan...you're immediately ostracized from the hockey community.

It's quite comical

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:12 PM
  #335
Yosho
Logic
 
Yosho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuy73 View Post
I have no problem with fighting in hockey. With all the rule changes, its not like it was back in the "good ole days" when you had to fight as a rookie to earn your place in the league. It is the players choice weather to drop the gloves or not. I also have no problem with the so called "staged fights." I would much rather have two guys know its time to go when the puck drops, opposed to someone getting in a cheap shot first.
Agreeeeed!

Yosho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:12 PM
  #336
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
so because YOU don't like it you think they should stop it? Your the one that cry about it , not me. Your just mad because your boy got KO'ed.
Can you read? I NEVER SAID I DON'T LIKE FIGHTING...and i've NEVER said that because I don't like it, they should stop it.

Come back when you've learned to read at an acceptable level to carry a conversation like an adult

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:12 PM
  #337
coladin
Registered User
 
coladin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,099
vCash: 500
DD gets knocked out by McLaren. **** happens and i hope he is okay and all that. But, look at the game. Ottawa guys gets knocked out, everyone is concerned but, truly, the Leafs are loving it. And they should be as they are setting "the tone" for the game. Next shift, Colton Orr, dials it up some more as he and the Leafs feel they can run over the opposition. Not so fast. Neil responds. The message is sent back that Ottawa will fight. If Neil doesn't go after Orr, we have another Toronto-Montreal carnival where you humiliate the opposition. After that, the game settles down and messages are sent both ways. That is how the game has been and will forever be.

In the Ottawa-Philly game, Zack Smith should have fought Rinaldo. He didn't and Philly kept running around and the captain ends up crosschecking him in the head. If they would have fought, that probably wouldn't have happened.

That is why fighting is important in the game...even staged ones.

coladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:13 PM
  #338
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart
 
The Lollipop King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
i'm not speaking for the good of the game...i'm speaking for myself.

Also, if we just allowed people who have played the game to have opinions...then this board wouldn't exist would it?
The reason you don't understand fighting is because you have never played competitive hockey. Learn about the history of hockey and you will see that fighting isn't just part of the game, its part of being a hockey player.

"Staged" fights serve more purpose then you think, or else it wouldnt happen.

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:13 PM
  #339
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog
 
Ogie Goldthorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NS via BC
Posts: 2,602
vCash: 500
Thanks, but no thanks.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:13 PM
  #340
JackStraw
Moving much too slow
 
JackStraw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Maine
Country: United States
Posts: 1,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cursed Lemon View Post
Do you actually predict someone DYING from a hockey fight?

Take a moment and consider how ridiculous that is.

No, someone will die from a vicious hit from behind long before someone perishes in a fight.
That's not ridiculous at all. Someone (with helmet off) takes a big shot to the head and falls backward. Hits his head on the ice and...

The only player to ever die from an injury suffered in an NHL game (Bill Masterson) died from hitting his head on the ice. It could certainly happen again, as a result of a fight.

JackStraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:15 PM
  #341
sunnydaycrash
Registered User
 
sunnydaycrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Vancouver
Country: Portugal
Posts: 3,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Too bad. You're missing pretty good playoff hockey, I tell you.
Yeah like the Pens/Flyers series last year, right?

sunnydaycrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:16 PM
  #342
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lollipop King View Post
The reason you don't understand fighting is because you have never played competitive hockey. Learn about the history of hockey and you will see that fighting isn't just part of the game, its part of being a hockey player.

"Staged" fights serve more purpose then you think, or else it wouldnt happen.
lol hilarious...you don't know me, how do you know whether or not i've played the game?

You think cause you play in some lame has-been garage league it makes you more apt to speak on this than me?

The worse part of all of this is i've never said I don't like fighting...in fact, I've went out of my way SEVERAL times to say it is entertaining.

Yet you guys wanna keep addressing things i've never said and ignore the real topic at hand...

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:16 PM
  #343
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 37,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lollipop King View Post
The reason you don't understand fighting is because you have never played competitive hockey. Learn about the history of hockey and you will see that fighting isn't just part of the game, its part of being a hockey player.
So someone who never has fought and never does fight in a hockey game is not actually a hockey player?

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:17 PM
  #344
Sheppy
Registered User
 
Sheppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Yellowknife, NWT
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
That's not ridiculous at all. Someone (with helmet off) takes a big shot to the head and falls backward. Hits his head on the ice and...

The only player to ever die from an injury suffered in an NHL game (Bill Masterson) died from hitting his head on the ice. It could certainly happen again, as a result of a fight.
You can die from a ton of things. Look at the Swiss league hit the other night, could have snapped his neck. You run the risk for 60+ minutes a night of catching a skate somewhere in the head/neck area.

There are risks everywhere.

Sheppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:18 PM
  #345
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post
So someone who never has fought and never does fight in a hockey game is not actually a hockey player?
Hilarious...good question lol

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:20 PM
  #346
Epsilon
#TeamHolland
 
Epsilon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Florence, SC
Posts: 37,312
vCash: 500
For anyone who is claiming that fighting is "integral" to hockey, let me ask this:

Can a game of NHL hockey be played and completed without a fight?

If the answer to that question is yes, it's hard to call it an integral part of the game.

This isn't even necessarily an argument in favor of removing fighting, just that some people really need to dial back the rhetoric about its importance.

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:20 PM
  #347
The Lollipop King
4th Line = all heart
 
The Lollipop King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 583
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
lol hilarious...you don't know me, how do you know whether or not i've played the game?

You think cause you play in some lame has-been garage league it makes you more apt to speak on this than me?

The worse part of all of this is i've never said I don't like fighting...in fact, I've went out of my way SEVERAL times to say it is entertaining.

Yet you guys wanna keep addressing things i've never said and ignore the real topic at hand...
I can tell you have never played a high level of hockey by the stupid **** you say.

You don't know me either so how do you know if I played in has-been garbage league or not? I love when people are hypocrites

The Lollipop King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:24 PM
  #348
sandysan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 5,653
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandiblesofdoom View Post
Interesting post - but - For your serious goons, fighting is not voluntary. These guys don't have the skills to make the NHL otherwise. They have to fight to keep their paychecks.
no one is holding a gun to colton orr's head to get him to fight.

What you mean that hockey players have to do things for their jobs that they might not do if they had the choice ? Stop the presses.

I'm sure the guys who fish crab in alaska aint doing it for the smell of the salty air.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:27 PM
  #349
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,736
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lollipop King View Post
I can tell you have never played a high level of hockey by the stupid **** you say.

You don't know me either so how do you know if I played in has-been garbage league or not? I love when people are hypocrites
I was being a hypocrite on purpose...lol

and what level of hockey or whether I played hockey or not is completely irrelvant to this debate

You realize there are MANY NHL players who have gone through their entire career without fighting...does that mean their opinion on the matter is meaningless as well?

Are you going to provide anything sold in this debate, or do I have to keep dancing circles around your arguments that make no sense?

417 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:27 PM
  #350
shizno
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 977
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
That's a myth...Zdeno Chara abused Alexei Emelin and Milan Lucic beat Brandon Prust the other day. The Bruins were at home, up 3-2

The Habs came out in the 3rd period and scored 2 goals and never looked back...

Fighting didn't influence the outcome of that game...goals, goaltending, etc (all hockey related activities) did.
HEY LOOK I CAN CHERRY PICK AN INCIDENT TO SUPPORT MY CASE TO!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roAkL8_LpCs

Without that fight, and that sssh, Penguins probably don't come back and win that game, perhaps the series. OR THE CUP!

shizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.