Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 MN State Boys HS Hockey Tournament

Old
03-07-2013, 12:10 AM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

vCash: 50
Someone should tell Breck, St. Thomas Academy and Hermantown to grow a pair and move up into the AA class. Sick of seeing those three dominate year after year after year. Sick of seeing so much of Edina too but that can't really be helped much. They play in what is probably the worst overall section in the state though so their trip to the state tourney is always darn near a cake walk.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:19 AM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Someone should tell Breck, St. Thomas Academy and Hermantown to grow a pair and move up into the AA class. Sick of seeing those three dominate year after year after year. Sick of seeing so much of Edina too but that can't really be helped much. They play in what is probably the worst overall section in the state though so their trip to the state tourney is always darn near a cake walk.
Not sure how you can say that about a section with Prior Lake, Burnsville, Jefferson and Holy Angels. 1AA is waaaaaaay worse.

And what's wrong with Hermantown? They're public and their enrollment is 400 less than that Apollo team that STA just destroyed.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:23 AM
Jaykay
Kuemperpedic

I'd also say 8AA, 3AA, and 4AA are worse than Edina's section.

Jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:30 AM
forthewild

I dont know which section John Marshall, Mayo, Century Winnona belong to but that is hands down the worst section in the state for high school hockey. Rochester's Bantam team does well but we split our kids into 4 high schools its so bad most schools can't ice a complete JV and Varsity programs.

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:29 AM
FUBAR McDangles

vCash: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
I dont know which section John Marshall, Mayo, Century Winnona belong to but that is hands down the worst section in the state for high school hockey. Rochester's Bantam team does well but we split our kids into 4 high schools its so bad most schools can't ice a complete JV and Varsity programs.
My hometown, Owatonna, is in that section as well. It is definitely not very good.

When I graduated, I think the top two teams in the section were Winona and Owatonna, Winona won, and then proceeded to get stomped on by Lakeville something like 10-1 to go to state.

Our section just does not compare well to the rest of the state.

FUBAR McDangles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:18 AM
SP0RTSFANATIC98

Quote:
Burnsville always gives them a good run though. Prior Lake is up and coming as well.

SP0RTSFANATIC98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:34 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
STA hasn't belonged in that Class for a long time. Nothing but fake victories for them. They should have grew a pair years ago and joined the big boys. Instead, they chose to get cheap thrills by taking the easiest route possible. Zero respect for them. I look forward to them getting a nice dose of reality in the future.
STA hasn't lost to a single A team since 2010. Nice....

They even beat Shattuck-St Mary's this season.....

Freakin' sand-baggin' trophy chasers.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:08 AM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
STA is moving up next year.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:08 AM
forthewild

Haters gonna hate. There is nothing wrong with STA stomping people left right and center. At the end of the day single A is just JV compared to double A so there is that

forthewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:18 AM
GORGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL1674 View Post
STA hasn't belonged in that Class for a long time. Nothing but fake victories for them. They should have grew a pair years ago and joined the big boys. Instead, they chose to get cheap thrills by taking the easiest route possible. Zero respect for them. I look forward to them getting a nice dose of reality in the future.
Not sure if you've noticed but THEY ARE "The big boy's".. It's not gonna matter what Class their in.. They'll dominate AA too starting in 2014, and AAA after that, once The MSHL decide's to water this Touney down even more (that's the real disgrace IMO) And i'm pretty sure The STA player's over the year's would disagree with you that any of their Championships were "fake".. IMO The Vannelli's have done a great job of building a powerful program you can't take away the fact they are very talented.

GORGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:31 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by GORGO View Post
Not sure if you've noticed but THEY ARE "The big boy's".. It's not gonna matter what Class their in.. They'll dominate AA too starting in 2014, and AAA after that, once The MSHL decide's to water this Touney down even more (that's the real disgrace IMO) And i'm pretty sure The STA player's over the year's would disagree with you that any of their Championships were "fake".. IMO The Vannelli's have done a great job of building a powerful program you can't take away the fact they are very talented.
Nobody is denying the fact that they are very talented...it's just that we would prefer to see them face off against a Hill-Murray, Duluth East, Wayzata or Edina in the State Tourney instead of St Cloud Apollo. They've been playing below their competition level for far too long.

50-3 in shots last night, is that right?

Old
03-07-2013, 09:34 AM
dwanmaster*
Rap Game Adam Banks

vCash: 1660
Quote:
Originally Posted by forthewild View Post
The worst section has to be 3A. The section final had two teams that had below .500 regular season record...

dwanmaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:56 AM
GORGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Nobody is denying the fact that they are very talented...it's just that we would prefer to see them face off against a Hill-Murray, Duluth East, Wayzata or Edina in the State Tourney instead of St Cloud Apollo. They've been playing below their competition level for far too long.

50-3 in shots last night, is that right?
No question and i do agree. IMO The tourney has been wrecked with all these blowout's every year just to allow more kid's the chance to play at The X.. But i'm also not so blind to think that it's only "The Private's" that are "Recruiting player's" the other's just call it something different.. A Rose by any other name is still a Rose.. It's been going on up here all over, for year's.. I'm pretty sure Apple Valley Wrestling and Eden Prarie football and so on don't just do everything tremendously better than everyone else. Don't kid yourself those athletes don't just magically end up at those school's. IMO... and it's only my opinion it's that age old issue.. No one like's a winner especially when it's percieved that they have money..

GORGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:39 AM
651*

The recruiting thing seems to my recollection to have started with the AHA teams (Eric Johnson was on I believe), but I'm only 30yo so I don't know for sure. I'm not sure what the rules are for MSHL with kids in certain areas though for publics.

My Johnson HS kids that had an insane amount of talent in the group that made state in '91. That team was so good and YET, the Strobles - both went on to DI - weren't even on that team, despite having grew up on the East Side with the Johnson state team in '91 - they went to Hill, who in turn had made state that year (and if memory serves pretty much killed us as our goalies choked bad as usual in state quarters - Navaro and Bookler were like gods to me like all the players on those teams since I was a kid in that system at the time).

So I guess the recruiting has been going on for a while. OTOH, powerhouses like Edina and EP just overall grow their players from the time they can first skate, so I don't really see that as recruiting as much as just having insanely good programs in high density areas. Same with like Moorehead and Duluth East - they just breed superior teams. Johnson did have that as well, forever, but the program has dwindled since the 90s (although our '01 and '04 teams both suffered some of the most devastatingly brutal losses in section finals you could ever imagine and should have went to state).

651* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:46 AM
651*

Quote:
STA hasn't lost to a single A team since 2010. Nice....

They even beat Shattuck-St Mary's this season.....

Freakin' sand-baggin' trophy chasers. : :
Did they honestly beat Shattuck?

Old
03-07-2013, 11:52 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
Did they honestly beat Shattuck?

Yep... 3-2 in OT

Link

Old
03-07-2013, 11:56 AM
651*

Quote:
Yep... 3-2 in OT

Link
Well fark me. That just isn't supposed to happen. Shattuck having an off year, if that's possible?

Hard to believe STA actually even had losses this year and a couple ties. LOL at tying Tartan LOLOL:

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/schedule/...ubseason=79765

Last edited by 651*: 03-07-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old
03-07-2013, 12:26 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Anyone find a stream?

Old
03-07-2013, 12:28 PM
651*

There's supposed to be one on prep45.com but not sure.

This a good game.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:42 PM
651*

Matt Cullen on right now at the X in intermission. Talking about the Wild, then said his two state appearances meant more than him lifting Stanley Cup.

I got tix for the big schools tomorrow and Saturday - good seats too.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:19 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Duluth East advances 1-0 over Moorhead.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:23 PM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Gotta love that all the Tvs In general areas at umd are on the tourney, and even the projector in the Kirby lounge is on it.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:33 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 651 View Post
Well fark me. That just isn't supposed to happen. Shattuck having an off year, if that's possible?

Hard to believe STA actually even had losses this year and a couple ties. LOL at tying Tartan LOLOL:

http://www.mnhockeyhub.com/schedule/...ubseason=79765
Shattuck plays a few high school teams in the area each year... They usually win, sure, but this is far from their first loss though too. You must underestimate the quality of the high school teams overall if you think Shattuck should automatically overmatch them.

Most are close games actually, with the regular high schools winning their fair share.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:36 PM
TaLoN
All Hail the FBJ!

Quote:
Duluth East advances 1-0 over Moorhead.
One of those games where the scoreboard tells the story much better than the stat line does. Very well played game by both teams.

TaLoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:51 PM
651*

That was a damn good game.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaLoN View Post
Shattuck plays a few high school teams in the area each year... They usually win, sure, but this is far from their first loss though too. You must underestimate the quality of the high school teams overall if you think Shattuck should automatically overmatch them.

Most are close games actually, with the regular high schools winning their fair share.
I know they do. Usually (all star) teams like Benilde and so forth that likewise recruit. And I was aware they have lost before too.