HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Notices

Game #23: at Los Angeles, 3/07 (9:30 PM, Fox Sports Southwest, 1310 AM, 104.1 FM)

Old
03-07-2013, 12:57 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tattoo View Post
No GDT against LA is complete without some Brown dive videos.
Is there a difference between diving and embellishing? If so, then Brown isn't a diver.

For example, a stick gets up near Ribeiro's face, and he flings his head back, throws his gloves in the air and flies ten feet... that's a dive.

If a player puts his stick between Brown's skates, and Brown goes down easily to draw the call... that's embellishment. And I believe it's a valuable skill in today's game.

On one play you have a guy (Ribs) making up a penalty that was never there to begin with. On the other play, the player (Brown) is making the penalty obvious for the ref to see and call.

So in that sense, Brown doesn't dive. If players stopped taking liberties with him, he wouldn't have anything to embellish.

Last edited by RonSwanson*: 03-07-2013 at 01:05 PM.
RonSwanson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:31 PM
Phil Connors*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonSwanson View Post
Is there a difference between diving and embellishing? If so, then Brown isn't a diver.

For example, a stick gets up near Ribeiro's face, and he flings his head back, throws his gloves in the air and flies ten feet... that's a dive.

If a player puts his stick between Brown's skates, and Brown goes down easily to draw the call... that's embellishment. And I believe it's a valuable skill in today's game.

On one play you have a guy (Ribs) making up a penalty that was never there to begin with. On the other play, the player (Brown) is making the penalty obvious for the ref to see and call.

So in that sense, Brown doesn't dive. If players stopped taking liberties with him, he wouldn't have anything to embellish.
Whatever you have to tell yourself.

Phil Connors* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

Quote:

This response is outdated. Ribiero doesn't play on the Stars. But sure... Brown is NOT a diver. Everyone knows that.

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:57 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogi1Kenobi View Post
This response is outdated. Ribiero doesn't play on the Stars. But sure... Brown is NOT a diver. Everyone knows that.
I didn't say he was still on the Stars. Just using it as a well known example of a dive.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:57 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaallMunson18 View Post
Whatever you have to tell yourself.
That also applies to opposing fans who call him a diver.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:02 PM
Dirty Kari

Quote:

This is absolutely ridiculous. If Brown goes down easily to draw a call he is diving. BROWN IS A DIVER. He is one of the biggest divers in the game if not the absolute biggest.

Dirty Kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:

Why bring this here?

If you want to troll us, it should be punchier, and if you think you are going to change anyone's mind in a Stars GDT after we have all seen Brown dive again and again, you are nuts.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:07 PM
Brand New Stars

If that post was from a fan of an unrelated team I may have kept reading it. The first line was enough to end it for me though.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:23 PM
KiedisA

Well hello there gameday! It's been a long time.. Hopefully the ref aren't Turkish..

Hopefully the Stars' feed doesn't show the bellend Brown lifting the cup.. I actually haven't seen it yet and hoping that will never change..

KiedisA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:28 PM
Brand New Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiedisA View Post
Well hello there gameday! It's been a long time.. Hopefully the ref aren't Turkish..

Hopefully the Stars' feed doesn't show the bellend Brown lifting the cup.. I actually haven't seen it yet and hoping that will never change..
Me either. I won't watch pregame in hopes of avoiding it.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:30 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
Why bring this here?

If you want to troll us, it should be punchier, and if you think you are going to change anyone's mind in a Stars GDT after we have all seen Brown dive again and again, you are nuts.
Why do you assume I'm trolling you?

I'm just stating my opinion, that I think diving and embellishment are separate. One I have no respect for, while the other one I see as having value in getting refs to make the correct calls.

You are welcome you disagree.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:32 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Kari View Post
This is absolutely ridiculous. If Brown goes down easily to draw a call he is diving. BROWN IS A DIVER. He is one of the biggest divers in the game if not the absolute biggest.
If you are legitimately getting hooked by an opponent, are you saying it's preferable to stay on your feet and not draw the penalty? Serious question.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Brand New Stars

If it's that obvious of a hook, you wouldn't have to "embellish".

Old
03-07-2013, 02:50 PM
johnjm22

Whether it's diving, or embellishing, Brown is doing it a lot less.

He started backing off on it substantially towards the end of the playoff run.

I know they keep stats on drawn penalties somewhere, I bet Brown is drawing at a much lower pace than he had been in recent years.

johnjm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Why do you assume I'm trolling you?

I'm just stating my opinion, that I think diving and embellishment are separate. One I have no respect for, while the other one I see as having value in getting refs to make the correct calls.

You are welcome you disagree.
I am not assuming anything, read my post carefully. I am questioning what you hope to accomplish here, in a Stars GDT. If you want to convince us that Brown is not a diver, you will have better luck getting chickens to love KFC (or convincing us that Taco Cabana commercials are actually great).

If you think there is some difference between diving and embellishment, that is fine and feel free to go to a thread where that is the subject.

Brown is a player who does all kinds of tough guy stuff, like racking up tons of hits and killing penalties, and is also the captain of his team. Yet he also constantly tries to deceive the referee and get an advantage for his team that doesn't come from just playing honest hockey. Most players pick one side of the skill/tough guy dichotomy and stick to it; Brown hits but doesn't fight and dives all over the place.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:57 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand New Stars View Post
If it's that obvious of a hook, you wouldn't have to "embellish".
Penalties should be given based on the act as it happens, not the result. But we both know refs miss calls. Clearly in this scenario it's not "that obvious" a hook. Or else it wouldn't be embellished.

Yes, Brown embellishes calls. He will go down easily when an opponent hooks, elbows, spears him, etc. This is how he draws more penalties than most everyone in the league not named Crosby.

However, he does not fall down and fake getting hit just for the hell of it when no penalty actually occurred.

I guess I have respect for that.

Last edited by RonSwanson*: 03-07-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old
03-07-2013, 03:03 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995

starsfan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:04 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Misty View Post
I am not assuming anything, read my post carefully. I am questioning what you hope to accomplish here, in a Stars GDT. If you want to convince us that Brown is not a diver, you will have better luck getting chickens to love KFC (or convincing us that Taco Cabana commercials are actually great).

If you think there is some difference between diving and embellishment, that is fine and feel free to go to a thread where that is the subject.

Brown is a player who does all kinds of tough guy stuff, like racking up tons of hits and killing penalties, and is also the captain of his team. Yet he also constantly tries to deceive the referee and get an advantage for his team that doesn't come from just playing honest hockey. Most players pick one side of the skill/tough guy dichotomy and stick to it; Brown hits but doesn't fight and dives all over the place.
Okay tough guy. This is a forum for discussion. I read a handful of posters here who think Brown's a diver, and I had hoped to have a discussion about it so fans could see what the other side thinks about it.

If you want to end discussion then so be it. Your loss.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:09 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:

Even if every single guy on the Stars is a diver, that doesn't excuse or erase the fact that Dustin Brown is a diver. Save the false equivalence talk for politics.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:11 PM
txomisc

Quote:
If you are legitimately getting hooked by an opponent, are you saying it's preferable to stay on your feet and not draw the penalty? Serious question.
Yeah they used to do it alot and I really miss it. The crackdown on obstruction seems have brought with it alot more diving and embellishing that wasnt so crazy popular in the 90s. Guys used to fight through hooks and holds to try to score and now they just flop to the ice. The power forward position has been all but eliminated because theres no longer any need to battle.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:14 PM
starsfan24
#17 "Keep Rollin"

vCash: 995
Quote:
So you're saying if players wouldn't give him the opportunity to dive he'd stopped diving... Seems legit.

starsfan24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Okay tough guy. This is a forum for discussion. I read a handful of posters here who think Brown's a diver, and I had hoped to have a discussion about it so fans could see what the other side thinks about it.

If you want to end discussion then so be it. Your loss.
This is a game day thread. If I went into your GDT and tried to tell kings fans that Steve Ott gets a bad rap but is totally clean, and that Ribeiro doesn't dive since he has been in Dallas, a dozen LA fans would jump down my throat.

I know the actual Dustin Brown/Steve Ott/Mike Ribeiro exist in a grey area between the good guys who play for my team and the bad guys who play for the other team, and I imagine most people here know that also. Those who don't will just assume that you are a hopeless homer.

There are a bunch of places where you can have a reasonable discussion about diving that is free of divisional bad blood context, but bringing it here isn't going to lead anywhere productive.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:17 PM
Dirty Kari

Quote:
Yes. Otherwise you are diving. You can call it embellishment if you makes you feel better but your captain is the biggest diver in the league.

Dirty Kari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:19 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan24 View Post

Look what you made me do.
I was at that game. I was the guy yelling "Turrrrcoooooo" really loud in the video

Gentle Ben Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote