HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > General Sports
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

Sad news out of South Africa (Oscar Pistorius)

Old
02-23-2013, 07:58 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
How is it ridiculous he gets bail?
Flight risk, has the finances and connections to get to a country that will not deport him back to South Africa.

Stanley Foobrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 08:54 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue'sClues View Post
Flight risk, has the finances and connections to get to a country that will not deport him back to South Africa.
Explain. He has no passport, Italy has an extradition treaty with South Africa (Only way he could get around this is to claim he's being persecuted in South Africa and that would only delay extradition). He has finances but he has no reason to leave. He has an excellent chance to get off with no jail time or win his case so there's no incentive to leave.

Nullus Reverentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-23-2013, 09:02 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Explain. He has no passport, Italy has an extradition treaty with South Africa (Only way he could get around this is to claim he's being persecuted in South Africa and that would only delay extradition). He has finances but he has no reason to leave. He has an excellent chance to get off with no jail time or win his case so there's no incentive to leave.
If he was to flee the country I don't believe it would be on a passenger jet at the local airport so passport wouldn't be a factor.

But your probably right, I doubt running is necessary, I'm sure he's going to get a "fair" trial and only the "facts" will play into the decisions.

Old
02-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
If he was to flee the country I don't believe it would be on a passenger jet at the local airport so passport wouldn't be a factor.

But your probably right, I doubt running is necessary, I'm sure he's going to get a "fair" trial and only the "facts" will play into the decisions.
If it was going to be skewed in his favour the police wouldn't have allowed false rumours to permeate in the media.

But yes if he was going to flee he probably would leave on some ex-SAAF mercenaries helicopter but as we are in somewhat of an agreement, this isn't going to happen.

Old
02-24-2013, 05:28 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:

It is quite apparent you haven't followed the story very much, if at all, but Pistorius is in a very strong legal position at this point.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
02-24-2013, 05:24 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:
It is quite apparent you haven't followed the story very much, if at all, but Pistorius is in a very strong legal position at this point.
Yes, several bullets through a locked door from an angle that clearly doesn't match your story...... Is that his strong legal position?

But please, feel free to tell me what I've missed..... I haven't been glued to CNN or anything.

Old
02-26-2013, 12:57 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
A strong legal position? Yeah, only if the courts are corrupt. Pistorious needs to go to jail for a long time. Tell me you're not as blind as Oscar's fanboy on here is.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 02:13 PM
Nullus Reverentia

You continue to prove you know nothing about the case.

Old
02-26-2013, 02:21 PM
TheBeastCoast

Are there people really saying he doesn't deserve jail time? I mean Manslaughter is still murder, I have doubt whether they will be able to prove pre-meditation and think they should have gone for 2nd degree instead but plenty of people get thrown in prison for Manslaughter and at the very least that is what he should get. I mean blindly firing 4 shots through a door is terribley negligent in the first place, he deserves whatever he gets, which unfortunetley might not be much.

TheBeastCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:53 PM
Nullus Reverentia

And plenty of people don't. There are different kinds of manslaughter, some where there was intent in action, others where there isn't. This is the latter if it's not murder.

Think about the Casey Cizikas case. Killed someone during a rugby game and he got nothing. There was no intention, he shouldn't have done what he did but it wasn't worth jail time.

Old
02-26-2013, 04:25 PM
Alklha

vCash: 868
I honestly can't believe that people don't believe he should be going to jail. Shooting 4 times through the door is intent to kill. Failing to make a basic check of the most logical reason for the noise prior to the shooting is the definition of negligence. He at the very least walked straight past the bed prior to shooting, at most his defense is that he went back to the side of the bed to get the gun.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 04:40 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
And plenty of people don't. There are different kinds of manslaughter, some where there was intent in action, others where there isn't. This is the latter if it's not murder.
How can you possibly believe that Pistorius didn't intend to kill whoever was behind the door? Oscar intended to kill the person in his bathroom; he just happened to forget to check if it was his girlfriend.

02-26-2013, 05:58 PM
DaaaaB's

Quote:
You continue to prove you know nothing about the case.
You continue to prove you know nothing about real life.
Quote:

Think about the Casey Cizikas case. Killed someone during a rugby game and he got nothing. There was no intention, he shouldn't have done what he did but it wasn't worth jail time.
The fact that you're comparing a clean rugby hit that resulted in a death (the kid who died shouldn't even have been playing due to a concussion he had a couple weeks earlier) to a guy blasting 4 bullets thru a door without knowing who was on the otherside, just shows how out of touch with reality you are.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:01 PM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:

Not the same .....

I repeat, you're an absolutely lunatic.

I SHOT MY GUN. WHOOPSY I KILLED SOMEBODY.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 06:10 PM
clefty
Ice cream for crow

It's negligent homicide, at best, whatever the equivalent is to that in South African law.

Though I don't believe a word of his story.

clefty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Quote:

You can't seriously be trying to equate what he did to a sports play gone horrible wrong?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
I honestly can't believe that people don't believe he should be going to jail. Shooting 4 times through the door is intent to kill. Failing to make a basic check of the most logical reason for the noise prior to the shooting is the definition of negligence. He at the very least walked straight past the bed prior to shooting, at most his defense is that he went back to the side of the bed to get the gun.
Yeah if I remember correctly he said he went back to his bedside to get his gun..... apparently a bunch of pillows and blankets were lined up just perfectly into the shape of a person lying there......

You got to wonder if this case is being botched intentionally so Oscar can walk free.

Old
02-26-2013, 08:48 PM
Nullus Reverentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaaaaB's View Post
You continue to prove you know nothing about real life.

The fact that you're comparing a clean rugby hit that resulted in a death (the kid who died shouldn't even have been playing due to a concussion he had a couple weeks earlier) to a guy blasting 4 bullets thru a door without knowing who was on the otherside, just shows how out of touch with reality you are.
Oh my you disagree so I know nothing about life How old are you. Serious question.

You clearly don't know anything about the Cizikas case either. If it was a clean rugby hit, he wouldn't have been charged with manslaughter. Cizikas picked him up, fliped him upside down and piledrived him pro wrestling style into the ground. It was clearly negligent, if someone did that in pro football or rugby they would have been charged with a crime as well. This is Todd Bertuzzi if Bertuzzi killed Moore.

You don't have a clue about the case. The police have admitted they have no motive, that they have no reason to not believe his story. Their witness is likely lying, they leaked information that made it seem like he brutally assualted her while on steroids and alcohol, which never came out during the first hearing, strange, probably because it wasn't true.

He's obviously guilty of negligence, but murder? The evidence doesn't point to that at all.

Quote:
You can't seriously be trying to equate what he did to a sports play gone horrible wrong?????

Yeah if I remember correctly he said he went back to his bedside to get his gun..... apparently a bunch of pillows and blankets were lined up just perfectly into the shape of a person lying there......

You got to wonder if this case is being botched intentionally so Oscar can walk free.
A sports play gone wrong? As I said above, it absolutely wasn't. He was charged with manslaughter for a reason, not because the guy just died in a freak accident, because Cizikas did something completely negligent, that he shouldn't have done, but he intended to do it. Not intended to kill, but intended to do what he did.

You're "breakthrough" has holes. Why did he want to kill her? There clearly was no argument (Neighbours next door heard nothing, neighbour from a few blocks away did?), she went to bathroom for the reason people go to the bathroom (That was found in the autopsy). He made a mistake, a horrible mistake that he shoulnd't have made, but with no motive, and the clear remorse and psychological effect, it's obviously not murder.

Legal analysts all say Pistorius is an excellent position to have the charges downgraded, and given how the evidence and case came together in the bail hearing, it's possible they will be dropped.

Why would the police destroy his reputation, attack his character and paint him as a maniac on steroids if they were doing it on purpose?

Old
02-26-2013, 09:05 PM
Stanley Foobrick
Clockwork Blue

Why would he lie about having his prosthetic on? Wanting to make himself sound more helpless?

There is clearly many things here people don't know. If you want to believe shooting several bullets through a bathroom door was a simple unfortunate misadventure there is nothing I'm going to say to change your mind as neither of use were there.

But I'm not buying that..... ever.

Seriously, would you not make 100% your partner was with you and not already in danger if you thought there was an intruder in your house???? Would you not in fact wake them up to if you were scared to the point that you felt you needed to grab your gun????

As for the police...making false accusation would allow Oscar lawyers the opportunity to prove them wrong and help prove his *cough cough* innocence. If that's the goal of a corrupt police force.

Old
02-26-2013, 11:16 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by clefty View Post
It's negligent homicide, at best, whatever the equivalent is to that in South African law.

Though I don't believe a word of his story.
While I question his story true, everything that has come out has shown the initial police story was a clear fabrication. I do agree though that shooting 4 times through a door is hardly defensive and is a perfect reason why people shouldn't he allowed to have guns for the use of some vague self defence argument.

Fish on The Sand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:00 PM
MsMeow

Did anyone watch 20/20 last night? What I found interesting and likely a lie was that he said he and Reeva slept on different sides of the bed than they usually do and that the gun was under the side she normally would have slept on. He slept on that side and heard the noise in the bathroom, got the gun and assumed she was asleep on the other side of the bed. If this was true, don't you think he would have woke her up and said he heard a noise in the bathroom instead of going in their, guns ablazing? And as far as switching sides of the bed, I don't buy that at all. Don't most people pick one side over the other and stick with it?

Anyway, there is no link to the 20/20 episode but I did find this one:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...er-court-case/

Seems another girlfriend had problems with him and his lawyers are trying to settle with her.

MsMeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-02-2013, 04:09 PM
octopi

vCash: 844
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Did anyone watch 20/20 last night? What I found interesting and likely a lie was that he said he and Reeva slept on different sides of the bed than they usually do and that the gun was under the side she normally would have slept on. He slept on that side and heard the noise in the bathroom, got the gun and assumed she was asleep on the other side of the bed. If this was true, don't you think he would have woke her up and said he heard a noise in the bathroom instead of going in their, guns ablazing? And as far as switching sides of the bed, I don't buy that at all. Don't most people pick one side over the other and stick with it?

Anyway, there is no link to the 20/20 episode but I did find this one:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/headline...er-court-case/

Seems another girlfriend had problems with him and his lawyers are trying to settle with her.
That's the most bizarre thing yet. The story is changing now? at any rate, he can find a gun in a dark bedroom, but doesn't bother to check if his girlfriend is in the bed when he hears a noise?

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Ground Beef Invictus

To be fair, finding your gun in the dark is very easy. Almost as easy as knowing if someone else is in bed with you or not.

08-19-2013, 06:16 AM
G F O P

@BFeldmanCBS 6:00 AM
'Blade Runner' Olympian Oscar Pistorius indicted on murder charge for killing of girlfriend. apne.ws/17XtI9H

G F O P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2014, 09:27 PM
gra
Custom User Title

vCash: 466
The trial is underway.

http://www.foxnews.com/world/2014/03...bizarre-turns/

Quote:
The murder trial of the double amputee Olympian known as the Blade Runner is being broadcast to the entire world, but the cameras were hard-pressed to catch the bizarre, yet subtle drama that unfolded between the opposing attorneys on Monday.

gra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2014, 10:04 PM
Nullus Reverentia

His lawyer is extremely good, and the state doesn't seem like it's doing even a passable job.