HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #8

View Poll Results: Should we use an amnesty buyout on Bryz?
Hell Yes! 65 72.22%
Hell No! 25 27.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 09:59 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

vCash: 500
When he pisses away a win to our arch rivals **** will hit the fan.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:24 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

BP1974 salary is an issue here. Leighton was worse than Bryz but tbh we all accepted it for what it was because he was making a hair over a mil.

03-07-2013, 10:34 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Here are NHL Network's Top 10 goals of the week. Every. Single. One. is a weak goal according to the standards stated in this thread.

when they happen to us, yes, i agree ... they are 'softies, weak & back-breaking' ..... even when we win.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:39 AM
unbridledid

Just picked up Bryz for my fantasy team... I know he is good and when your D heals things will turn for the better.

Old
03-07-2013, 10:44 AM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
It's not going to make or break our season, but like you said it was a big game against a division rival and Bryz didn't show up. When you're making the type of money he does people expect more out of you. He's been playing mediocre at best for the last 2 weeks. People deserve to criticize him right now.
maybe you are causing yourself unnecessary frustration with your "expectations" ..... and there's no way to tell if YOUR expectations match HOMER'S expectations. Homer won't tell us on every goal against if a 5.6 mil cap hit goalie is "expected to make that save" ... so, doesn't it just frustrate you by inventing your own expectations ? they won't match anybody else's expectations exactly, nor Homers .... just seems like its causing you guys extra frustration that i avoid.

case in point: Bryz lets in essentially the same exact goal as Varly .... you call it a "high % shot" vs COLO & a "gem" by Bryz [the implication there seems to be gem = 'weak', unless i'm reading you incorrectly]

me, i look at them, see they're almost 100% the same goal & accept them both as NHL high % shots.

and save myself alot of frustration, knowing Bryz is our best goalie since Hexy's 1st iteration

Old
03-07-2013, 10:54 AM
LegionOfDoom91

When you're paid like a top 5 goaltender people are going to have high expectations. If you look in the trades and rumors thread a poster gave a list of rumored players Homer deemed untouchable, funny thing I didn't see Bryz's name on that list. So maybe Homer isn't too impressed with him either.

Anyway I'm done arguing this with you. It's going no where.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:07 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
arguably.

Craig Anderson's season before injury is nothing short of amazing. For you to argue Bryz was better is comical.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:20 AM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post

Craig Anderson's season before injury is nothing short of amazing. For you to argue Bryz was better is comical.
Bryz has been better than Anderson this season?

It's no use talking/debating with people who can't take off the colored glasses. Save your breath, energy, and time, don't bother anymore. Reasoning doesn't help here.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:39 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:

case in point: Bryz lets in essentially the same exact goal as Varly .... you call it a "high % shot" vs COLO & a "gem" by Bryz [the implication there seems to be gem = 'weak', unless i'm reading you incorrectly]
Interesting that you would bring up Varly.

Please refer to the video here:

At the 1:08 mark, Varly makes a big save on Patrick Kane who is in alone on Varly.

At the 1:30 mark, Varly makes a big save on Sharp on a 2 on 1.

At 1:48, Varly makes a save on Patrick Sharp after Sharp makes a nearly identical move to Callahan and Nash on their "breakaways". Sharp goes around the defender, Varly stays calm and doesn't attempt a flailing poke-check and makes a great toe save.

Even on the Toews breakaway goal @ 2:09, Varly plays it better than Bryz. Yes he gets beaten, but Toews needed to bang the puck off the post in order to beat Varly because Varly had solid positioning and stayed w/ Toews rather than going for a flailing pokecheck. Just an inch more to the left and that puck hits the post to the wrong side and stays out. He played that as well as he could. Bryz? Not so much.

You mentioning Varlamov only proves my point further. Varly faced 2 "breakways" in his game. He saved 1 of them to keep his team in the game. Bryz went 0 for 2. Varlamov also faced a 2 on 1 w/ the shooter keeping the puck and Kane in alone on him. Varlamov stopped both. Bryz fails in those situations.

If we had Varlamov against the NYR, we would've had a chance to win the game.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Anyway I'm done arguing this with you. It's going no where.
and i'm done discussing [not arguing] with you over it. especially when what is a 'high % shot' vs Varly, turns into a 'Bryz gem' when he's in the net.

and 1 last thing about expectations:
Ryan Howard made $355,000 in 2006 & hit 58 HR .... are you telling me that a $355,000 1st baseman has the expectations on him to hit 58 hr ?

the next year, he made $900,000 - almost 3 times as much. so, he's expected to hit 150 HR ?

bottom line: underpaying / overpaying an athlete doesn't change the physical aspect of the sport ..... and everyone inventing their own set of "expectations" independent of the team's GM, the ONLY set of expectations that matter, which we will NEVER know in detail, only clouds every discussion & gives critics the easy way to criticize "for THAT amount of money, i think player X should never allow that goal"

maybe Homer thinks that Callahan goal against was a high % shot, just like you did [vs Varly] and is OK with it. you will never know.

and that's exactly why i steer clear of the un-winnable "according to my own set of salary expectations" debate

Old
03-07-2013, 02:54 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
Interesting that you would bring up Varly.
are you, too, gonna you call it a "high % shot" vs COLO & a "gem" by Bryz ?

Old
03-07-2013, 02:59 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
and i'm done discussing [not arguing] with you over it. especially when what is a 'high % shot' vs Varly, turns into a 'Bryz gem' when he's in the net.

and 1 last thing about expectations:
Ryan Howard made $355,000 in 2006 & hit 58 HR .... are you telling me that a $355,000 1st baseman has the expectations on him to hit 58 hr ?

the next year, he made $900,000 - almost 3 times as much. so, he's expected to hit 150 HR ?

bottom line: underpaying / overpaying an athlete doesn't change the physical aspect of the sport ..... and everyone inventing their own set of "expectations" independent of the team's GM, the ONLY set of expectations that matter, which we will NEVER know in detail, only clouds every discussion & gives critics the easy way to criticize "for THAT amount of money, i think player X should never allow that goal"

maybe Homer thinks that Callahan goal against was a high % shot, just like you did [vs Varly] and is OK with it. you will never know.

and that's exactly why i steer clear of the un-winnable "according to my own set of salary expectations" debate

Baseball doesn't have a hard salary cap. It's completely different.

Do you think .903%, regardless of salary, is an acceptable stat for a starting goaltender? I sure don't.

03-07-2013, 03:22 PM
zarley zelepukin

Quote:
It's not going to make or break our season, but like you said it was a big game against a division rival and Bryz didn't show up. When you're making the type of money he does people expect more out of you. He's been playing mediocre at best for the last 2 weeks. People deserve to criticize him right now.
While Bryz was pretty awesome for the first half of the season so far, and he hasn't been at the same level recently, "mediocre" is not the word I would use to describe his play. I feel like people are seeing the situation as too black and white- there's either great or mediocre, with no in between (though there are also worse things that could be said). He's had a couple rough games to be sure, but he hasn't been the reason we win or lose for the most part. Take into account this team's defense, and the fact that Bryz flat out said he was tired from playing so much, and I don't think this level of criticism is deserved.

Do I believe he could be better, and should be better given his salary? Speaking about only the last couple weeks (since Feb 11 let's say), yes. But you still have to look at the entire season, and at the team around him, and at the amount of games he's played.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhilly View Post
Bryz has been better than Anderson this season?.
i said [in response to those who said "Bryz was so bad in the KHL, he wasn't even the #1" [after a whopping 12 games] ]

that Bryz came back here & was arguably the best goalie at the start of the season

if you want to proclaim Bryz was #2 early on, behind Anderson, i'm ok with that & i would hope most Flyers fans would have been happy with that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
if you want to proclaim Bryz was #2 early on, behind Anderson, i'm ok with that & i would hope most Flyers fans would have been happy with that

Old
03-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by zarley zelepukin View Post
While Bryz was pretty awesome for the first half of the season so far, and he hasn't been at the same level recently, "mediocre" is not the word I would use to describe his play. I feel like people are seeing the situation as too black and white- there's either great or mediocre, with no in between (though there are also worse things that could be said). He's had a couple rough games to be sure, but he hasn't been the reason we win or lose for the most part. Take into account this team's defense, and the fact that Bryz flat out said he was tired from playing so much, and I don't think this level of criticism is deserved.

Do I believe he could be better, and should be better given his salary? Speaking about only the last couple weeks (since Feb 11 let's say), yes. But you still have to look at the entire season, and at the team around him, and at the amount of games he's played.
totally agree. this team has played poor D all year & simply not even competed in some / parts of many games. the fact that we're almost in a playoff spot is due to Bryz, Simmonds & Jake.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:25 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

The start of the season was a long time ago at this point.

Edit: And for the hundredth time (no exaggeration), team D really isn't that bad. They're more than passable.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:28 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
The start of the season was a long time ago at this point.

Edit: And for the hundredth time (no exaggeration), team D really isn't that bad. They're more than passable.
continueing to pound ur head against the wall i see..

hahah...

Old
03-07-2013, 03:33 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

The Flyers have allowed the 8th fewest shots per game in the NHL; although it's not officially tracked, I'd bet that they're in the top half in fewest scoring chances allowed.

Their team defense is nowhere near as bad as some have made it out to be. Watch teams like Edmonton, Colorado and Tampa if you want examples of bad team defense.

A 0.900 save percentage is terrible in the 2013 NHL game... and the blame for such a low number has to fall primarily on the one guy who directly relates to save percentage.

03-07-2013, 03:39 PM
buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
The Flyers have allowed the 8th fewest shots per game in the NHL; although it's not officially tracked, I'd bet that they're in the top half in fewest scoring chances allowed.

Their team defense is nowhere near as bad as some have made it out to be. Watch teams like Edmonton, Colorado and Tampa if you want examples of bad team defense.

A 0.900 save percentage is terrible in the 2013 NHL game... and the blame for such a low number has to fall primarily on the one guy who directly relates to save percentage.
True!!

Old
03-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
The Flyers have allowed the 8th fewest shots per game.
an unscreened point shot = 1 SOG & 1 scoring chance

a breakaway = 1 SOG & 1 scoring chance

Old
03-07-2013, 03:44 PM
buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coffe View Post
In Bryzs' "defence", he had one of, if not the best goalie in the KHL in front of him in Rastislav Stana. You don't bench a guy with 0,93% and 1.76 GAA.

okay... So why Stana is not in the NHL ??

Old
03-07-2013, 03:45 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

Quote:
an unscreened point shot = 1 SOG & 1 scoring chance

a breakaway = 1 SOG & 1 scoring chance
And?

Apparently the Flyers are the only team that allows these types of shots...

Last edited by CanadianFlyer88: 03-07-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old
03-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

.903 was really good in 1987. Judging by the way he played that one Nash goal, maybe he somehow timewarped his brain to an earlier period. If he shows up to the game wearing pink leggings, we'll know what's up.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:55 PM
usahockey22flyers
Forza Roma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
.903 was really good in 1987. Judging by the way he played that one Nash goal, maybe he somehow timewarped his brain to an earlier period. If he shows up to the game wearing pink leggings, we'll know what's up.
One of the best posts I've seen on this forum in a long time.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:57 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
totally agree. this team has played poor D all year & simply not even competed in some / parts of many games. the fact that we're almost in a playoff spot is due to Bryz, Simmonds & Jake.
Here's where we are ranked amongst the league in defensive stats as a team:

Shots Against- 8th 27.4
Shots Blocked- 3rd 370
Penalty Kill- 8th 84.0%

How much better do you want the defense to be?

Closed Thread