HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

What must Edmonton do

Old
03-07-2013, 12:21 PM
supert

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerboysmith View Post
They have to start building a team, filling in the bottom 6, add size and grit to the forwards...
The Def. I think is improved over the last few years but could also use a few upgades.
More glue or grit type players thru out the line up.

It seems like they are simply collecting talent and not really building a team.
Agreed . I think we have enough skill . We need grit , size 2 way plays physical players that can play . We nee a real energy guy that hits everything in sight . Some time the kids look lost . They need motivation .

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:23 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by HitmanKiller12 View Post
That was not the article I was referring to. How long is it until Nino needs a change of scenery? Most top 5 forward picks from 3 years ago historically have become regular s in the NHL by this point, especially on a weaker team. Is it when players of later draft years such as strome become regulars and he is still on the outs?

How long before the struggling RNH needs a change of scenery?
Nino is 20, coming off an all-star appearance in his first AHL season.

His AHL head coach recently said, that that it's consistency he wants to see from Nino, that there are times Nino's play brings him out of his seat, but that Nino needs to learn to play consistently.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:25 PM
Anth93

I don't know, but the entire team is such a cluster**** right now. Hopefully they get themselves a Nurse or Pulock and are able to get Klefbom/Marincin and others to play for them next year.

Bring in character players, trade for character players.. Just get players that care and aren't used to losing.

Anth93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:30 PM
supert

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
trade one or two of their so called intouchables and start building from the backout.

the fact that some people think schultz is good defensively kind of tells you soemthing.
Schultz is a rookie he will be fine .

supert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:31 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Johansen is now becoming a NHL regular and Connolly was set back because his draft year was riddled with injuries.
That doesn't change the fact that your statement was disproved. Nino, Johansen, and Connolly have all spent considerable time working on their games in top-6 roles at the AHL level so they are better prepared when they do make the jump to the NHL full time. Johansen may be back up with CBJ, but he isn't tearing things up at all.

You cited change of scenery for Nino, you can also say the same thing for Johansen and Connolly.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:36 PM
HitmanKiller12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
How long before the struggling RNH needs a change of scenery?
Nino is 20, coming off an all-star appearance in his first AHL season.

His AHL head coach recently said, that that it's consistency he wants to see from Nino, that there are times Nino's play brings him out of his seat, but that Nino needs to learn to play consistently.
Considering he has done everything but put up points. He has also put up more points this year then Nino had in his entire NHL career. Far different scenario but nice try. Nino has all of 1 point in 55 games.

HitmanKiller12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:48 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Considering he has done everything but put up points. He has also put up more points this year then Nino had in his entire NHL career. Far different scenario but nice try. Nino has all of 1 point in 55 games.
And yet you want him in Edmonton

Isles gm shows zero interest in trading Nino.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:51 PM
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars

Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
1. There is a serious problem. The Oilers have been getting outplayed even more this year than in previous years, and the biggest reason is their inability to win/maintain possession in puck battles. All 4 lines.

2. The problem is not just youth. Its also imbalance. They need stronger puck battlers in the top six; Eberle and Nuge won't grow into it.

3. Ryan Clowe is only part of the solution, as he doesn't score much anymore and is at best a middle sixer. A gritty top line scorer would be a huge improvement.

4. Who to move, besides Hemsky?

Yakupov is amazingly skilled. Insane shot. But he is less valuable to the Oilers than to many other teams around the league, who would pay a huge amount to acquire him.

The #1 is a huge asset, and potentially very high in a good draft, but the Oilers have so much youth its getting bad for their youth. The pick is worth more to another team.

Trading either Yakupov or the pick would return huge value, and purchase the top line grit and defensive improvements to make the Oilers instantly a much better team.
Nuge is a gritty player this year he will definately grow into it.
This year hes a scrawny 185 pound kid whos 6'1, in a few years he will hit the 200 pound mark like Gagner has this year. RNH has more blocked shots than J.Schultz, Potter, Whitney and Peckham, and leads our forwards in blocked shots. He's also 4th amongst forwards in hits, in a close race. All this with barely any PM. The guy can play, and he will take the puck away from you more than he will give it away. When you throw in his natural offensive talent, its just a no-brainer.

t0psh3lfclu7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:54 PM
rockinghockey

At the beginning of the season was I hyped up about our team, of course I was, was I being realistic, no I wasn't. This is a young team that needs to develop and are still two more seasons away to making a run for the playoffs.

Do we need to get bigger; yes
Do we need better dmen; yes
Do we need bigger centremen; yes

Of the top 6 I would only keep Hall, RNH, Eberle and Yak. Gagner and Hemsky I would trade them away. Two of them have to go and for those people who are saying that Gagner and Hemsky have no trade value I don't agree with.

Other players that I would trade away are Potter, Whitney, Belanger, and Eager. You are not going to get big returns for them but you will get picks that you can bundle together for the bottom players that we need.

If you can't resign Smid and Jones they are both gone also but lets just say we can.

Boyle from NYR is a big body that can still play that I would go after for the 3rd line. A 3rd line of
PRV; Boyle; Jones
We all know unfortunately that Horc and Smyth aren't going any where so our 4th line for next year would be:
Smyth; Horc; Harti/Petrell
It is the top two lines that needs some addition in there. Sign a player like Horton as a UFA for the top 6. Our biggerst problem is going to fine that 2C with size. If we get lucky we get Barkov the way we are playing.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
I dont think a high scoring offense minded team is ever going to do well in edmonton or in any nhl city.

Look at the devils, kings, bruins. These teams have phenomenal goalie play and balance through out their lineup. All lines are two way lines and really have no weaknesses anywhere on defense weather it is forwards or defense man. As boring as this type of hockey is to watch sometimes it is winning hockey.

EDM right now is built like a capitals team . Immense offensive upside but players rarely willing to do the dirty work on both ends of the ice tow in. Hall has improved in that capacity immensely, RNH and eberle are yet to get there. Yak may never get there.

You need your best offensive players to also be responsible on d. Those are the teams that win.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:57 PM
HockeySens

Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
Agreed . I think we have enough skill . We need grit , size 2 way plays physical players that can play . We nee a real energy guy that hits everything in sight . Some time the kids look lost . They need motivation .
tambellini should listen to this guy, you cant win with skill alone, need to balance it out, need someone who can protect these young guys, mentor them provide leadership and energym, add those plus a #2 #3 D and a back up goalie and you wont see the western conference basement for a while

HockeySens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:59 PM
t0psh3lfclu7ch
Real Men Have Scars

Send a message via ICQ to t0psh3lfclu7ch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
I dont think a high scoring offense minded team is ever going to do well in edmonton or in any nhl city.

Look at the devils, kings, bruins. These teams have phenomenal goalie play and balance through out their lineup. All lines are two way lines and really have no weaknesses anywhere on defense weather it is forwards or defense man. As boring as this type of hockey is to watch sometimes it is winning hockey.

EDM right now is built like a capitals team . Immense offensive upside but players rarely willing to do the dirty work on both ends of the ice tow in. Hall has improved in that capacity immensely, RNH and eberle are yet to get there. Yak may never get there.

You need your best offensive players to also be responsible on d. Those are the teams that win.
how is RNH not doing any dirty work? and ill agree that Yakupov is giving the puck away (hence his 3rd line duties), however he does have 15 hits and 7 blocked shots. (before the clb game)

t0psh3lfclu7ch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:12 PM
HitmanKiller12

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
And yet you want him in Edmonton

Isles gm shows zero interest in trading Nino.
Haha correct, because I think a change of scenery wouod turn his career around, but I am not so sure he will reach his potential on the isles under the circumstances.

HitmanKiller12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:25 PM
TS Quint

The Oilers problem is their scouting staff. Possibly the worst in the whole NHL. How about picking a NHL player in the draft outside of the 1st round.

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:29 PM
Jtown

vCash: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by t0psh3lfclu7ch View Post
how is RNH not doing any dirty work? and ill agree that Yakupov is giving the puck away (hence his 3rd line duties), however he does have 15 hits and 7 blocked shots. (before the clb game)
he is not physically ready to handle the rigors of a physical two way defenseman . He looks uninterested in going into puck battles along the boards against bigger centerman. Watching him and thronton go at it is really a disheartening scene. He just kinda looks uninterested in that type of play.

Jtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:37 PM
CREW99AW

Quote:
Haha correct, because I think a change of scenery wouod turn his career around, but I am not so sure he will reach his potential on the isles under the circumstances.

Isles have Boyes becoming a ufa this summer and Moulson set to become a ufa in 2014. I expect we'll see Nino playing a physical, chippy game on John Tavares wing. The only question is, will it be on the rw or the lw.

Your concern about Nino is appreciated.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:44 PM
sal00

The last time when the Oilers got somewhat close to the cup they did not have a bunch of top end offensive talent, they were more like a Phoenix system riding with a hot (but above avg) goalie but with stud D (Pronger). They had a lot of supporting cast in depth that helped glued the team together (Peca, Samsonov, a young Stoll, etc) Perhaps like what others said, instead of front loaded everything on the wing, they need to part one or two of those pieces and build a two way team that can grind teams down in close games (kinda like St Louis and LA) with scoring upsides.

tl;dr : Oilers need a stud all around D somehow (Seth Jones maybe?)

sal00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:53 PM
Zoombie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sal00 View Post
The last time when the Oilers got somewhat close to the cup they did not have a bunch of top end offensive talent, they were more like a Phoenix system riding with a hot (but above avg) goalie but with stud D (Pronger). They had a lot of supporting cast in depth that helped glued the team together (Peca, Samsonov, a young Stoll, etc) Perhaps like what others said, instead of front loaded everything on the wing, they need to part one or two of those pieces and build a two way team that can grind teams down in close games (kinda like St Louis and LA) with scoring upsides.

tl;dr : Oilers need a stud all around D somehow (Seth Jones maybe?)
Yeah another 1st overall is just what they need.

Zoombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:57 PM
TS Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoombie View Post
Yeah another 1st overall is just what they need.
They would pick Drouin

TS Quint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:13 PM
jgoud

Yakupov will be likely be the last of the big 4 traded as he has the highest upside of them all, RNH is right behind him. It would be nice to trade Hall+ for OEL or Eberle+ for OEL but i doubt Phoenix does it. We need size and grit up the middle too, if we could pick up Clowe as a UFA that would be perfect

jgoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:15 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Need veterans who can play big (not necessarily physical) and put in a few goals and not Ryan Smyth or the like.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:20 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
They would pick Drouin
Or MacKinnon

I just hope they don't get a top five pick. The top 8 is all solid this year.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:35 PM
PETRYDISH

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Trevor View Post
Need veterans who can play big (not necessarily physical) and put in a few goals and not Ryan Smyth or the like.
This.... I feel youth no matter how good needs some sort of vet presence, we have basically a bunch of washed up underachieving vets. In Pits Cros had Lemeux for a time, Palfy, Roberts, Recchi, Gonchar to name a few. We have Belanger, Smyth, Whitney... Then you consider that all our playoff hopes are on the shoulders of a bunch of 18-20 yr olds and you have a pretty lousy environment for development. Agh I don't care if we have to overpay, we need to bring someone in who can provide support and leadership.

PETRYDISH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:49 PM
sansabri
typical poster.

fire management and scouting staff. hire people who actually want to succeed.
fire coaching staff. hire coaching staff that knows how to develop young players.
trade one of the young guns for some solid depth.
trade one or two good prospects for some solid depth.
acquire veterans who understand their role as mentors.
don't trade players like Hemsky or Smid unless the return is warranted.

sansabri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:36 PM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS Quint View Post
The Oilers problem is their scouting staff. Possibly the worst in the whole NHL. How about picking a NHL player in the draft outside of the 1st round.
Petry, Hartikainen, Horcoff, Lander, VandeVelde and Peckham are all roster players on their team who they drafted outside of the first round.

Also have guys like Marincin, Reider, Gernat, Zharkov, Pitlick etc etc etc developing still and guys like Omark playing in Europe.

This is a relatively new scouting staff so we haven't got to see the fruits of their labor as far as late picks go, they take a while to develop.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote