HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Danny Briere: activated Apr. 11 (concussion Mar. 25); Q and A article Apr. 11

Old
03-06-2013, 07:06 AM
poneill27

vCash: 500
He's gotta go for whatever we can get for him.

poneill27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Buyout cap hit may be prohibitive (if I'm doing this right):

http://www.capgeek.com/buyout-calcul...06&buyout_d=15

Thus, amnesty.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:26 AM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Heh, and if I'm Danny I just say send my checks to tahiti, I'll take a compliance buyout in the summer.

We have very little leverage here.
Then he is embarrassed, sits out rest of year, and team is done with him for any future jobs with the team.

Or, go to a team like Boston for 3 months and win a cup, get bought out in summer and do whatever he likes ? Sign back in Philly, retire, work for FLyers, or any damn thing he wants.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:22 PM
Fallenity

Ducks fan here.

We were actually talking about Briere on our own boards, if come playoff time and Philly is out of it while Ducks are in, should we try to get Briere. I imagine that massive cap hit is chaffing your pants, while we like the look of that small salary. Although seeing all the comments about his defensive game has made me a bit less interested, what do you think it would take from the Ducks to get him? I'd like to believe that he could be had for cheap, due to that cap hit.

What kind of return are you guys expecting the team to get?

Fallenity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:27 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenity View Post
Ducks fan here.

We were actually talking about Briere on our own boards, if come playoff time and Philly is out of it while Ducks are in, should we try to get Briere. I imagine that massive cap hit is chaffing your pants, while we like the look of that small salary. Although seeing all the comments about his defensive game has made me a bit less interested, what do you think it would take from the Ducks to get him? I'd like to believe that he could be had for cheap, due to that cap hit.

I would take your 1st rounder for Briere, assuming he waives to go to Anaheim.

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:40 PM
Jtown

we are all hating briere now, but come playoff time we will all be praising him again. He is unbelievable come playoff time and when he gets hot he can single handedly carry a line .

Jtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenity View Post
Ducks fan here.

You have a couple of very nice defensive prospects I would like to steal away. Also your forward prospects are pretty good too. Pretty nice pipeline of prospects you have.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:44 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
we are all hating briere now, but come playoff time we will all be praising him again. He is unbelievable come playoff time and when he gets hot he can single handedly carry a line .
We have to make the playoffs first. In the past we had the offensive depth to make up for Briere's shortcomings in the regular season. I think that's why most here are complaining about him.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:44 PM
SolidSnakeUS

If from the Ducks... I would say a 1st. I could also suggest Briere and Gus for Luca Sbisa. Doing that might also might make Coburn expendable. Coburn for Gormley and a 2nd?

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:06 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennysflyers16 View Post
Then he is embarrassed, sits out rest of year, and team is done with him for any future jobs with the team.

Or, go to a team like Boston for 3 months and win a cup, get bought out in summer and do whatever he likes ? Sign back in Philly, retire, work for FLyers, or any damn thing he wants.
You are assuming boston would buy him out. If we waives NMC and Boston chooses not
to honor that NMC going forward then he gets traded to NYI who loves 2 yrs high cap hit low salary.

All the risk in this discussion is on briere...why would he want that...

achdumeingute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:11 PM
bennysflyers16

Quote:
You are assuming boston would buy him out. If we waives NMC and Boston chooses not
to honor that NMC going forward then he gets traded to NYI who loves 2 yrs high cap hit low salary.

All the risk in this discussion is on briere...why would he want that...
Win a cup, help out the team that gave him 40 million over 6 years.

Everyone keeps saying wait for playoff Danny, well we need playoff Danyy now just to make the playoffs. We cant afford his piss poor effort as it is a huge detriment to the team.

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:12 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
If this was 3 years from now, maybe.

I myself want to trade briere because he is valuable now and we are not winning the cup (realistically) this season so why not sell in a sellers market to improve the future squad?

I know he will score in the POs...

Old
03-07-2013, 03:13 PM
Jtown

The team that should trade for Briere is PIttsburgh. His clutch play and tenacity in the playoffs is exactly what that teams need. Of course it would be a weird transisition for both parties and im sure getting those two teams on the phone would be difficult but they are the team with the best defensive prospects in the game.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:

Everyone keeps saying wait for playoff Danny, well we need playoff Danyy now just to make the playoffs. We cant afford his piss poor effort as it is a huge detriment to the team.
Indeed. Averaging .7 points per game so we can see him average 1 point per game in the playoffs is useless if the team doesn't make the playoffs.

This is about the time a regular season playoff push gets under way. Briere (and especially Coburn, with Grossmann gimped) need to snap into playoff mode if they want to put off golfing.

Edit: There's also a late trade deadline this year. I think it's April 3, which is 3 weeks before the end of the season. We might have a pretty good idea about who's going to be in the playoffs by then.

03-07-2013, 03:16 PM
achdumeingute

Quote:

There is no lock anywhere he goes to win the cup.

And, no...he doesn't owe us any favors. This is business. It's totally hypocritical for us to play that card...

Old
03-07-2013, 03:35 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
There is no lock anywhere he goes to win the cup.

And, no...he doesn't owe us any favors. This is business. It's totally hypocritical for us to play that card...
If he does the Flyers this favor, the Flyers can do him a favor and bring him back post retirement. It's a smart business decision for him if he wants to stay in the area long term and continue to work in hockey. I think the Flyers can make a compelling argument for him to waive the NMC.

I agree that moving Briere is about the future not the present. This team in all honesty is probably not cup ready for another two years or until B.Schenn and Couturier become consistent NHL producers. IMO any move the Flyers make should be about 2015, or the end of next year at the earliest.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:50 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

This is hearsay, but the Bruins have apparently put an offer on the table for Briere. From what I was told, the offer was Svedberg, Krug, Ference (for salary purposes) and a draft pick (not a first though) for Briere. Briere has been asked to waive his NMC/NTC, but he's asking for a lot to waive. In particular, he's asking for housing and travel arrangements for his ex-wife to see and spend time with the kids and he's asking that whatever team he moves to, they pay for a tutor to go on the road with him and his kids so that they aren't behind in school AND he's asking that the team pay for his ex-wife to go on the road with them so she can spend time with the kids. Could make for interesting discussions.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:06 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
This is hearsay, but the Bruins have apparently put an offer on the table for Briere. From what I was told, the offer was Svedberg, Krug, Ference (for salary purposes) and a draft pick (not a first though) for Briere. Briere has been asked to waive his NMC/NTC, but he's asking for a lot to waive. In particular, he's asking for housing and travel arrangements for his ex-wife to see and spend time with the kids and he's asking that whatever team he moves to, they pay for a tutor to go on the road with him and his kids so that they aren't behind in school AND he's asking that the team pay for his ex-wife to go on the road with them so she can spend time with the kids. Could make for interesting discussions.
Jaw dropping. I was actually about to PM you to ask if you've heard anything in the last few days.

That is a lot to ask for from a organization in terms of babysitting -- for this year and 2 years hence.

So, basically a 2nd, a goaltender prospect (who is good), Ference, Krug (small PMD prospect).

Old
03-07-2013, 04:06 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Interesting. Other than Ference I'm not familar with any of those players. Do you or any other poster here know anything about them?

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 03-07-2013 at 04:14 PM.
Old
03-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Jtown

Quote:
Im not doubting you , just curious how you know this?

Old
03-07-2013, 04:18 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Interesting, but I don't think the Flyers can take back that many contracts, can they? If that pick is a 2nd, I would probably do this.

Thanks for sharing BCF16!

FlyingPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:23 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Interesting. Other than Ference I'm not familar with any of those players. Do you or any other poster here know anything about them?
Svedberg is a legitimate goaltending prospect. He was a bit of a late bloomer in Europe, but he starred in the Swedish Elite League the past three seasons. Last season, he was a championship winning goaltender and his numbers in the playoffs were fantastic (1.70 GAA and .947 Sv Pct). He's an athletic goaltender that relies on reflexes more than positioning, but that's seemed to have changed this year since coming to the AHL. Yes, he still uses his reflexes, but he's gotten significantly better at his positioning.

As for Torey Krug, he is a smaller puck moving defenseman. In fairness though, he's deceptively fast and he's very good at being in the right place, right time. He's also got the art of sliding off a hit down pat and he never puts himself in situations that he'll get creamed. He's very aware of his on ice positioning.

Now, take this for what it is, but the Flyers are asking for Ryan Spooner instead of Krug. The story that I heard is that if the Bruins deal goes down, there's another deal in place in which another center is being moved, hence the reason why Spooner is being asked for. I don't have full details yet, but I was informed that Couturier, Schenn and Giroux are not the centers being moved, so I'm thinking it's probably Laughton.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:24 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Ex-wife on the road with you? Better lawyer, bro. Was DrinkFightFlyers representing you?

Old
03-07-2013, 04:25 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Wouldn't that put the Flyers over the contracts limit?

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:27 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Svedberg is a legitimate goaltending prospect. He was a bit of a late bloomer in Europe, but he starred in the Swedish Elite League the past three seasons. Last season, he was a championship winning goaltender and his numbers in the playoffs were fantastic (1.70 GAA and .947 Sv Pct). He's an athletic goaltender that relies on reflexes more than positioning, but that's seemed to have changed this year since coming to the AHL. Yes, he still uses his reflexes, but he's gotten significantly better at his positioning.

As for Torey Krug, he is a smaller puck moving defenseman. In fairness though, he's deceptively fast and he's very good at being in the right place, right time. He's also got the art of sliding off a hit down pat and he never puts himself in situations that he'll get creamed. He's very aware of his on ice positioning.

Now, take this for what it is, but the Flyers are asking for Ryan Spooner instead of Krug. The story that I heard is that if the Bruins deal goes down, there's another deal in place in which another center is being moved, hence the reason why Spooner is being asked for. I don't have full details yet, but I was informed that Couturier, Schenn and Giroux are not the centers being moved, so I'm thinking it's probably Laughton.
Thanks for the insight. I really don't want to move Laughton. I think he's going to be a good one here.