HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Bylsma/coaching staff discussion thread II

View Poll Results: So can Bylsma still lead them to the promised land?
Sure why not, Bylsma’s system is fine. The team will win another cup with him 40 33.33%
Nah, Bylsma has a better chance of winning dancing with the stars than another cup 80 66.67%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-03-2013, 06:05 PM
Ogrezilla
Arrogant Yinzer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
It's not that the team has no structure. The thing is, anytime you listen to Disco talk about strategy, it ONLY has to do with offense. When he talks about defensive strategy, it's also talking about moving the puck as fast as possible from the D to the forwards, so again...offense!!!

This is not rocket science here. I can't believe Shero, Lemieux, or others can't see this and haven't said anything. Lemieux played the same way prior to Badger Bob and Bowman coming in and giving the old run and gun Pens defensive structure.

I've come to the conclusion that Bylsma is too stubborn to be a head coach (at this time). He'd be a great assistant at this point unless he starts getting some pushback from management about his system and having some people to assist him on the importance of the defensive system needed to win. He's a good coach but when you are as stubborn as he is about his system, I really question about his ability to lead as a head coach.

Watching this team for the past few years definitely gives some credence to the people saying that Bylsma won the cup with Therrien's system. We have gotten a whole hell of a lot away from those teams and even the style of players on those teams, especially on the defensive side of the house.
I want him to coach like its 2010 and Sid and Geno are hurt. Except with Sid and Geno in instead of Staal and Letestu.

Ogrezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 04:36 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Winnfield View Post
What's the point in that? He runs the same system as Bylsma.
If that is truly the case (which we keep hearing), why is WBS winning games in low scoring affairs? No calling you out in particular, but there seems to be an inconsistency in the theory that it is the system when I look at those stats.

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 05:49 AM
JTG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post
If that is truly the case (which we keep hearing), why is WBS winning games in low scoring affairs? No calling you out in particular, but there seems to be an inconsistency in the theory that it is the system when I look at those stats.
Because WBS is horrendous offensively. They'd never win a high scoring affair

JTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:39 AM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Great Play Orpik!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBurgundy View Post
I wish I was drinking the same Kool-Aid as you.

I have no idea how you refuse to acknowledge this team looks the exact same way it did before last playoffs and during them.
The last few games. They have not for the entire year (the defense was what everyone was raving about early on, when the PP was the apocalyptic problem du jour), and I try not to make a habit of grand, sweeping generalizations based on small sample sizes.

The defense needs to be tightened up because the positioning, focus, and compete level along the boards and in front of the net has not been there recently. That's about it.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:50 AM
Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTG View Post
Because WBS is horrendous offensively. They'd never win a high scoring affair
I agree that WBS can not win in a high scoring manner. But that seems to come back to the question of why the system is at fault when the same system is leading to the minor league affiliate winning low scoring "defensive" games? Maybe I am being too simplistic but the analytical side of me (chemist by trade) says that the results do not compute with the hypothesis.

Solution is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:29 PM
sovietsanta87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
The last few games. They have not for the entire year (the defense was what everyone was raving about early on, when the PP was the apocalyptic problem du jour), and I try not to make a habit of grand, sweeping generalizations based on small sample sizes.

The defense needs to be tightened up because the positioning, focus, and compete level along the boards and in front of the net has not been there recently. That's about it.
This

sovietsanta87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:17 PM
Candyman

Can this topic just change into the Byslma can **** off thread?

Assuming Despres is sitting tonight for Eaton I don't understand how this guy has a job.

Candyman is online now   Reply With Quote