Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Poor crowds

Old
03-06-2013, 09:08 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

vCash: 500
They have been top 3 in scoring the entire year. They haven't quit in a single game. What, exactly do people want for "entertaining hockey"? I'm honestly curious how anyone could call this team boring. Soft, you have a point. But boring?

Ducks DVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 10:55 PM
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne

vCash: 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
They have been top 3 in scoring the entire year. They haven't quit in a single game. What, exactly do people want for "entertaining hockey"? I'm honestly curious how anyone could call this team boring. Soft, you have a point. But boring?
they feel no hitting, fighting = boring.

ill take scoring and winning over that though. all what you like i guess.

gratefulyours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:35 PM
Corey Perry*

Quote:
Tonight was boring, but they've been a pretty entertaining team this season for the most part. I can't give less of a **** about fighting and "toughness" from an entertaining standpoint. I don't watch hockey to watch fights.

Corey Perry* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 11:37 PM
Ramenbot

I like when our boys go coast to coast like buttered toast so it's lookout cookout and we get the goalie livin' right. That's entertainment.

Ramenbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:04 AM
DarthYenik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramenbot View Post
I like when our boys go coast to coast like buttered toast so it's lookout cookout and we get the goalie livin' right. That's entertainment.
Don't lose your chapeau.

DarthYenik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:04 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampeus View Post
Tonight was boring, but they've been a pretty entertaining team this season for the most part. I can't give less of a **** about fighting and "toughness" from an entertaining standpoint. I don't watch hockey to watch fights.
I can't say I understand why people seem to be this unhappy when we're off to one of the best starts in the history of the franchise. As you said, this team has been pretty entertaining to watch outside of the series against Phoenix, but that's just the way Tippett has them play.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:25 AM
Eddie Shack
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
I can't say I understand why people seem to be this unhappy when we're off to one of the best starts in the history of the franchise. As you said, this team has been pretty entertaining to watch outside of the series against Phoenix, but that's just the way Tippett has them play.
More than likely so that if we don't go on to win the Cup we can hear them tell us how they always knew the team was soft,weak, and boring...not capable of sustaining a winning trend...and they tried to tell us.

Eddie Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:58 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
More than likely so that if we don't go on to win the Cup we can hear them tell us how they always knew the team was soft,weak, and boring...not capable of sustaining a winning trend...and they tried to tell us.
The sad thing is that there's happy medium that would afford people an out while acknowledging our good fortune. A bit of rational skepticism not only makes for better conversation, but has the added benefit of not being so dour and combative. I imagine they'll come around if this carries on for the rest of the month, but you'd think we had Edmonton's start with all the scapegoating and pettiness.

Exit Dose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:01 AM
Sean Garrity
They call me Hampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
The sad thing is that there's happy medium that would afford people an out while acknowledging our good fortune. A bit of rational skepticism not only makes for better conversation, but has the added benefit of not being so dour and combative. I imagine they'll come around if this carries on for the rest of the month, but you'd think we had Edmonton's start with all the scapegoating and pettiness.
What are you talking about? Edmonton is cup bound next season.

In all seriousness I agree with your post.

Sean Garrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:08 AM
Bender66
Send in the clowns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Shack View Post
Those people need to get a life.

It's one thing to construct an argument and provide supporting evidence with facts, or statistical analysis. It's another thing when it's the same old drivel stuck on repeat trotted out over and over again. It would be a much better world if it were run on empirical evidence rather than the whims of the vocal minority.

2nd in league in standings, 2nd in wins when trailing after 1st period, 1st PP, 3rd in Goals per game. Yeah, what a snoozer of a team.

I would much rather watch the old Ducks from 3 years ago when they would take ridiculously stupid penalties while trying to be "tough", play RC line matching bingo, trail the other team the entire game, and generally not give **** until there's 2 minutes left and they pull the goalie. Yep, that team was so much more fun to watch.

Quote:
If I've understood it correctly, tickets for regular season games cost only around 20 dollars...? And still people don't go?
Only for the last row in the nosebleeds, and they cost $27 if you buy individual games. Regular nosebleeds cost ~$40, before taxes/surcharges etc. I agree with you, it's really cheap entertainment considering going out for dinner will generally cost you more than going to a Ducks game, but there are a lot of people in hard times. I don't begrudge them if they have to make hard choices on their entertainment options, especially in SoCal.

I live 9 miles from Ponda. It takes me 30 mins just to drive those 9 miles in rush hour traffic. And that's only if I'm working from home on game night. I work in West LA, 40 miles from home (considered an average to easy commute for Socal). Only way I'm getting to Ponda before end of 2nd period on a light traffic night is if I steal a helicopter.

I don't think people outside of SoCal understand our traffic. That's why so many of us ***** about a 7pm start. Those 30 mins make a huge difference even for people that work/live close enough to make it to Ponda on weeknights.

Bender66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:23 AM
gratefulyours
Great 8 = T. Selanne

vCash: 483
dont forget the cost of parking / gas either (mass transit won't work)(cali has retarded taxes on their gas). if you don't want to walk three blocks your paying 20 more dollars minimum. plus most people don't like to go to events by themselves = double the ticket cost; and if it's a date, or you have kids 90% of the time your buying food n drinks on top of that.

love the it's only 20 bucks argument.

used to live near san jose, they have train, light rail, bus / shuttle service that stops 1 block (less for the busses) from the arena. could eat dinner at home take a 10 minute bike ride to the rail and be at the game in less than 30 mins. way way way cheaper than ponda.

gratefulyours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:18 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulyours View Post
they feel no hitting, fighting = boring.

ill take scoring and winning over that though. all what you like i guess.
Over and over, the same false dilemma. It is possible to have teams that hit, fight, score, and win, as we've seen, and yes, it is more exciting than otherwise. It wouldn't kill people to admit that, even on the internet.

Spicy Porkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:17 AM
snarktacular
Ducks tank is on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damn Skippy View Post
Over and over, the same false dilemma. It is possible to have teams that hit, fight, score, and win, as we've seen, and yes, it is more exciting than otherwise. It wouldn't kill people to admit that, even on the internet.
Nonsense. There are clearly only 2 possible views on any given subject. My view, and the opposite of my view (distorted so much that surely no one could believe it).

snarktacular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:35 AM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
Originally Posted by snarktacular View Post
Nonsense. There are clearly only 2 possible views on any given subject. My view, and the opposite of my view (distorted so much that surely no one could believe it).
Hiller and Fasth are both good goalies and deserve starts! /head asplode.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:27 PM
snowave

Quote:

snowave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:39 PM
nbducksfan19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramenbot View Post
this post did not miss by much.

nbducksfan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:56 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Anaheim is #15 in hit with 505.
Anaheim is #12 in fights with 12.
Anaheim is #3 in scoring with 3.32 GPG.
Anaheim is #2 in winning with 16 wins and a 0.795 points %.

This isn't Detroit. They're top half of the league in all those categories.

It's also a false dilemma to say that they have to be top 2 in all those categories TO BE entertaining. I asked an honest question why people don't find the team entertaining, and haven't gotten an answer from anyone who feels they aren't. And, for the record, I'm clearly not someone who is anti-fighting, hitting, or gooning (when appropriate, not as a way of life).

As an aside, parking at the Honda Center lots is only $15, not $20, and has been for 5+ years now. Stubhub has had tickets for the Nashville and Phoenix games for $5-10. The Ducks are a ridiculously cheap way to see NHL hockey.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:23 PM
mighty all the way

Quote:
Anaheim is #15 in hit with 505.
Anaheim is #12 in fights with 12.
Anaheim is #3 in scoring with 3.32 GPG.
Anaheim is #2 in winning with 16 wins and a 0.795 points %.

This isn't Detroit. They're top half of the league in all those categories.

It's also a false dilemma to say that they have to be top 2 in all those categories TO BE entertaining. I asked an honest question why people don't find the team entertaining, and haven't gotten an answer from anyone who feels they aren't. And, for the record, I'm clearly not someone who is anti-fighting, hitting, or gooning (when appropriate, not as a way of life).

As an aside, parking at the Honda Center lots is only $15, not $20, and has been for 5+ years now. Stubhub has had tickets for the Nashville and Phoenix games for $5-10. The Ducks are a ridiculously cheap way to see NHL hockey.
And if people park literally a block away you can pay 5 bucks and it is easier to leave out of the parking lot.

The Coyotes series was boring because we played a boring team, and if LA can sell out every night with how boring that team is to watch then we can too.

And BB really isn't that bad in the playoffs he has a better record than the Ducks had in his coaching years in Washington, not every coach is going to go to the third round every single season. He's only been an NHL coach for pretty much 5 full seasons if you combine all the half seasons.

07-08: Lost 1st round (in 7 games)
08-09: Lost 2nd round (in 7 games vs eventual cup champs)
09-10: Lost 1st round (in 7 games)
10-11: Lost 2nd Round
Record: 17-20

Compared to the Ducks seasons
07-08: Lost 1st round
08-09: Lost 2nd round (in 7 games)
09-10: Didn't qualify for playoffs
10-11: Lost 1st round
Record: 7-12

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:56 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
It's also a false dilemma to say that they have to be top 2 in all those categories TO BE entertaining.
No it isn't.

Quote:
I asked an honest question why people don't find the team entertaining, and haven't gotten an answer from anyone who feels they aren't. And, for the record, I'm clearly not someone who is anti-fighting, hitting, or gooning (when appropriate, not as a way of life).
I wouldn't say that that's clear, but I'll take your word for it. I wasn't responding to you, just to the argument I highlighted. I don't have an answer for you, because I personally do find this team entertaining, but not because they're winning a lot. They've won some stinkers. I like that they don't quit and work to keep themselves in games. THAT'S entertaining, to me. They would be more entertaining, to me, if they were more a bit of what others here would consider a gong show. I also think that they would be a more difficult team to beat and a better contender for the Cup if they did more of it.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:09 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
No it isn't.
So, you're saying that there are zero entertaining teams in the league, as there are zero teams in the top 2 in all those categories?

Edit - there's a group that *****es that high scoring hockey is boring without hitting/fighting/gooning - that a false dilemma There's a group that says that hockey without high scoring/puck possession is boring - that's a false dilemma. There are people saying you need all of it to not be boring - that's a false dilemma. There's people out there who find trap hockey with combined team shot totals under 20/game to be exciting as long as their team wins - I think we can all agree those people are idiots.

Everyone has their own opinions about what "exciting" is. "Less exciting" (as a team that hits, scores and fights brings everything to the table you could want) is not the same as "boring".

Last edited by Ducks DVM: 03-07-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old
03-07-2013, 02:19 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
So, you're saying that there are zero entertaining teams in the league, as there are zero teams in the top 2 in all those categories?

Whoopsie. Your straw man left the room while you were checking box scores. You and I aren't discussing category ranks.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:24 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
Whoopsie. Your straw man left the room while you were checking box scores. You and I aren't discussing category ranks.
You may not be, I was. See the edit above.

Also, maybe leave out the ad hominem next time.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:30 PM
AnaheimGuy
Couch GM

Boring is/was the first game against phx, turnover after turnover after turnover, falling down away from the puck, couldn't pass to save their lives. Exciting is like last game where they would get setup on the pp and made crisp passes.

AnaheimGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:31 PM
Spicy Porkins
Porkins the White

Quote:
You may not be, I was. See the edit above.

Also, maybe leave out the ad hominem next time.
There was no ad hominem either. Rough day, huh?

Yeah, like I said, I wasn't responding to your argument with my original comment. And as you simultaneously point out and miss, a person determines his own criteria for entertainment. If someone thinks that to be entertaining a team must be the best at everything, then that's true.

Unless you can point to a post where Dirk accuses people of lying about being entertained?

Old
03-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Sojourn
Where's the kaboom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnaheimGuy View Post
Boring is/was the first game against phx, turnover after turnover after turnover, falling down away from the puck, couldn't pass to save their lives. Exciting is like last game where they would get setup on the pp and made crisp passes.
The ice probably played a role there. It looked awful.

Sojourn is offline   Reply With Quote