HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Draft Thread II (6/30, 3PM EDT)

Closed Thread

Old
03-05-2013, 05:32 PM
CapnCornelius

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EspenK View Post
Florida is falling apart ( the team and the state around Orlando),Washington is a mess (the Caps & congress) as well as several other teams for which I don't have clever sayings for. I think we might have to start talking about who do you like at #6 or #7. Yikes.
I have a simple solution to the woes of the Soutleast Division--Cam Ward is injured. Don't worry too much about Washington, Florida or Tampa. They will get some extra wins against the weakened Canes. And the Caps were 6-4-0 in their last 10, so I'm not that concerned about them at all. Florida is the only one that even gives me a mild level of concern with the Weiss injury.

Old
03-05-2013, 07:59 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by major major View Post
Thanks for sharing this. The valuations and thinking behind it I think are pretty smart, not a lot of odd choices. One quibble I'd make, and maybe this is just me, but I'm always hungry for more actual scouting details in the writeups. Take Jones for example — how good is he on the breakout, head man passes, on the boards, gap control, etc... Instead there is typical scout filler:

"Seth Jones made headwaves during the Summer of 2012 as the former US U18 Captain deliberated "

I'd still take this over hockeysfuture, so don't take it personally.
Thanks for the input. These blurbs are just that - blurbs. Our real work comes right before the draft, when we do a "30 in 30"; we count down from 30, and profile all of our top-30 prospects in the 30 days leading up to the draft. That's when we give exactly what you're asking for. As for other prospects (particularly those in the WHL), feel free to ask and I will gladly provide information.

For example, I would say that Seth Jones is superb on the breakout, with a great first stride that leads to a confident, accurate first pass. Along the boards he isn't a physical beast, but he uses his size, strength, and positioning to come away with the puck more often than not. Gap control is also excellent, hardly ever gets beat one-on-one.

We know our stuff, we just do our best on limited resources. We'd been working on this list for close to three weeks! Again, thanks for the input, it's definitely something to keep in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stretch Factor View Post
Nicolas Petan is +61 in 66 games.

I don't love the +/- stat, but holy cow +61!
Portland is a very, very good team

Petan is playing incredibly right now, really brought his game up this year and developed quicker than a lot of people were expecting. All that said, think of him as a Matt Calvert type of player - temper expectations, perhaps he can be a middle-6 forward.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:20 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Assuming that the season ended today...
- With each team's pace so far being extrapolated to 48 games
- With the teams that have the most points in the conference being in the SCF, and the second-most being conference finalists (and the overall most winning it)
- Assuming no changes took place in the lottery

The draft order would look like this.
1 - Columbus
2 - Florida
3 - Buffalo
4 - Washington
5 - Tampa Bay
6 - Colorado
7 - Edmonton
8 - Winnipeg
9 - NY Islanders
10 - Philadelphia
11 - Nashville
12 - Calgary
13 - Minnesota
14 - St. Louis
15 - New Jersey
16 - Dallas
17 - Detroit
18 - Phoenix
19 - NY Rangers (traded to CBJ)
20 - Ottawa
21 - Toronto
22 - San Jose
23 - Los Angeles (traded to CBJ)
24 - Vancouver
25 - Carolina
26 - Pittsburgh
27 - Montreal
28 - Anaheim
29 - Boston
30 - Chicago

Things that would help immensely:
- NY Rangers and Los Angeles both missing the playoffs, preferably by a sizable margin.

Barring that, the best thing would be for both to not win the division AND for four non-division winners to make up the final four (preferably all possible teams who finish below them).

Last edited by Mayor Bee: 03-06-2013 at 12:35 AM.
Old
03-06-2013, 01:07 AM
Finnpin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete goegan View Post
Personally, I like the Fool logo (Jokirt, perhaps?),
It's Jokers/Jesters = Jokerit (Jarmo's former team) nickname is though often "the Fools" and I have supported that club since the 80's... THN once voted the logo best outside NHL.

In Europe the ads are just pure reality because you need extra money to run the teams though I admit they shouldn't put so many ads on the jerseys...maybe just one bigger sponsor (like in soccer) would be better.

Imo this year's Jokerit jersey/outfit looks ok (the early 90's were horrible = that Selänne pic )

And sorry little bit going OT here...

Old
03-06-2013, 01:25 AM
Mayor Bee
\/me_____you\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post
It's Jokers/Jesters = Jokerit (Jarmo's former team) nickname is though often "the Fools" and I have supported that club since the 80's... THN once voted the logo best outside NHL.
I remember that! The Krefeld Pinguine of the DEL was worst in Europe that year, with this gem named Kevin.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:50 AM
major major

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sore Loser View Post
For example, I would say that Seth Jones is superb on the breakout, with a great first stride that leads to a confident, accurate first pass. Along the boards he isn't a physical beast, but he uses his size, strength, and positioning to come away with the puck more often than not. Gap control is also excellent, hardly ever gets beat one-on-one.
Thanks! This is what I like to read.

Old
03-06-2013, 06:48 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnpin View Post

In Europe the ads are just pure reality because you need extra money to run the teams though I admit they shouldn't put so many ads on the jerseys...maybe just one bigger sponsor (like in soccer) would be better.

Imo this year's Jokerit jersey/outfit looks ok (the early 90's were horrible = that Selänne pic )

I'd wear that sweater with pride!

Quote:
And sorry little bit going OT here...
My fault, it's a bad habit of mine.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:27 AM
Stretch Factor

Quote:
Portland is a very, very good team

Petan is playing incredibly right now, really brought his game up this year and developed quicker than a lot of people were expecting. All that said, think of him as a Matt Calvert type of player - temper expectations, perhaps he can be a middle-6 forward.
Yeah, I don't think Petan is any more than a mid-2nd rounder if we acquire additional 2nd round picks.

Was basically just pointing out how absurd his +/- is.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:04 AM
Crede777
Deputized

My resolve has been I am personally hoping for Mackinnon but if we draft Jones/Drouin/Barkov ahead of him and are told (either directly or indirectly) "we have decided that this player is better than Mackinnon" then I will shrug and go with it because honestly they know and I don't.

I feel that Jones and Mackinnon are both foolproof high caliber players that will succeed regardless. I obviously want Mackinnon over Jones if they are dead even in terms of BPA because I want us to have a franchise center and think Murray could be our franchise defenseman.

Drouin's potential is astronomical so he could be an absolute gamebreaker but I don't know that his success is as assured.

Barkov I honestly know next to nothing about and hope Kekkalainen has the inside scoop from the FEL.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:07 AM
pete goegan
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
My resolve has been I am personally hoping for Mackinnon but if we draft Jones/Drouin/Barkov ahead of him and are told (either directly or indirectly) "we have decided that this player is better than Mackinnon" then I will shrug and go with it because honestly they know and I don't.

Yep, any one (or two!) of the four would be fine with me. In fact, to take your last line a bit further, if they pick someone else I can't *****, since I only have what I read to go on!

Old
03-06-2013, 10:57 AM
alphafox

Listened to Jarmo on an edmenton radio and he flat out stated that he will take BPA and will use organizational need as a tie breaker.

I really think there are 4 guys who would have gone #1 overall the last few years (Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov). The order in which these 4 get taken I think is going to depend a topn upon what a teams draft philosophy is: Jones (#1 D), Mackinnon (#1 Fast, Elite goal scorer), Drouin (Elite hockey sense and playmaking ability, possible Wing/Center), Barkov (Big bodied Center with an all around game)

BTW, I know those descriptions are all extremely limited

Old
03-06-2013, 01:25 PM
Ebbisen

vCash: 844
Quote:
Here's the latest top-60 from our service:

http://www.thescoutingreport.org/201...-march-top-60/

It's in .pdf format this time around, gives it a much cleaner look. I have to give credit to the guys at the top, they made this thing look excellent.

Enjoy!

I really like that Lucas Wallmark is moving up in the rankings

Old
03-06-2013, 01:39 PM
Crede777
Deputized

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphafox View Post
Listened to Jarmo on an edmenton radio and he flat out stated that he will take BPA and will use organizational need as a tie breaker.

I really think there are 4 guys who would have gone #1 overall the last few years (Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov). The order in which these 4 get taken I think is going to depend a topn upon what a teams draft philosophy is: Jones (#1 D), Mackinnon (#1 Fast, Elite goal scorer), Drouin (Elite hockey sense and playmaking ability, possible Wing/Center), Barkov (Big bodied Center with an all around game)

BTW, I know those descriptions are all extremely limited
Good, that's what I was advocating above with Mackinnon/Jones. Take BPA but if they're tied (which they virtually never are) I hope they go with Mackinnon.

That said, I cannot advocate taking Fucale with one of our 1st's. I feel that unless they think he's a gamechanger that our goaltending prospect pool is good and that there are skaters I would prefer taking instead. Take a goaltender later if possible. In the past I was hoping we'd take a goalie in the late-1st/early 2nd round. We did that with Dansk and then also got Korpisalo while Forsberg has been strong. I see Fucale going around where Domi goes and honestly I'd rather have Domi over him.

Old
03-06-2013, 02:59 PM
alphafox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crede777 View Post
Good, that's what I was advocating above with Mackinnon/Jones. Take BPA but if they're tied (which they virtually never are) I hope they go with Mackinnon.

That said, I cannot advocate taking Fucale with one of our 1st's. I feel that unless they think he's a gamechanger that our goaltending prospect pool is good and that there are skaters I would prefer taking instead. Take a goaltender later if possible. In the past I was hoping we'd take a goalie in the late-1st/early 2nd round. We did that with Dansk and then also got Korpisalo while Forsberg has been strong. I see Fucale going around where Domi goes and honestly I'd rather have Domi over him.
Yeah, I really can't see spending a first on Fucale. Maybe our second but if we want some more goalie depth guys like Comrie are nearly as good as Fucale and can be found much later in the draft.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:34 PM
EspenK

I'm thinking the BPA is like beauty-in the eye of the beholder. And other than the first couple of picks I imagine the whole concept pretty much goes out the window. "I picked D-man X at 17 because he was clearly better than Winger Y who went 18" I find that hard to believe.

Old
03-06-2013, 07:40 PM
EspenK

Sore Loser - Who do you see in say the 22- 35 range that would seem to fit with what JK is likely to want. I'm guessing his likes would be guys similar to his picks in St L. I'm thinking we get 3 picks somewhere in there and am trying to wean myself form the belief we get 3 in the top 16. Whatcha think?

Old
03-06-2013, 07:58 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Sore Loser - Who do you see in say the 22- 35 range that would seem to fit with what JK is likely to want. I'm guessing his likes would be guys similar to his picks in St L. I'm thinking we get 3 picks somewhere in there and am trying to wean myself form the belief we get 3 in the top 16. Whatcha think?
That's a good way to start thinking, with the way the Kings and Rangers have been moving!

I mentioned Morgan Klimchuk in the old version of this thread, and I would absolutely spend an early second round pick on a player like that. He plays the game above and beyond what people expect from him, and I think he (quietly) has top-6 potential. Coming from the same program that's produced many mighty-mite forwards over the years (Jordan Eberle being one of them), every time I've seen this guy play, he's been very, very good. Dangerous every time he's on the ice.

As for the first rounders, a lot of it is going to depend on who falls to us. There is some serious talent in this draft, and two picks in the 22-30 range should be pretty valuable. Bo Horvat and Curtis Lazar are two similar types of players that could land in that range. Both are guys with big potential that play pro-style games, and both definitely fit the mold of JK-type picks. I think of guys like TJ Oshie in St. Louis, particularly when I watch Lazar.

As is typical, guys will fall below where they are expected to be picked, and some guys will rise up. If a guy like Anthony Mantha or Max Domi should see a little drop, we could still be fortunate enough to get one of them. As for risers, someone above mentioned Alexander Wennberg, and there's the potential that this kind of guy could jump into the top-20. Jason Dickinson of the Guelph Storm is a guy that's caught my attention recently also; has a big frame, good in all three zones, and in typical Jarmo fashion, will be a bit of a longer term, "project" type player that could pay off huge dividends. Think of a guy like Patrik Berglund.

Should be fun to see what happens either way. One thing's for sure - for the first time in our history, we have a GM that will actually be an asset at the draft table, instead of a concern.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:10 PM
EspenK

Know anything/much about Zykov? From his write-ups he seems to fit. a RWer to boot.

Old
03-06-2013, 08:35 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:

One thing's for sure - for the first time in our history, we have a GM that will actually be an asset at the draft table, instead of a concern.
Classic!

Old
03-06-2013, 09:24 PM
Cash for Nash

Quote:
What we need in that range is:

Someone like Voracek (10 goals this year)
Someone like Carter (15 goals this year)
Someone like Nash

I kid. Seriously the pieces we had for a bit are on fire. Hockey gods come though!

Old
03-07-2013, 12:11 AM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Know anything/much about Zykov? From his write-ups he seems to fit. a RWer to boot.
High boom/bust type for me. Reminds me a little bit of Martin Frk, big European winger, good shot, plays more physical than most other European players. There is top line potential there, and may not be a bad guy to take a flyer on. With players like this, I think the combine works wonders - is his character and conditioning up to par? It will make all the difference between him being a first rounder and not. Unfortunately, I can't speak for or against either of those things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
Classic!

In all seriousness, I consider myself a Scott Howson fan. I think the strings were pulled from above him, which ultimately led to his demise. I could be wrong, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cash for Nash View Post
What we need in that range is:

Someone like Voracek (10 goals this year)
Someone like Carter (15 goals this year)
Someone like Nash

I kid. Seriously the pieces we had for a bit are on fire. Hockey gods come though!
Patience, my friend. Voracek is playing with Claude Giroux, a player he would have never skated with here in Columbus, and thus we would still be hearing "WE COULD HAVE HAD CARTER!!!" ... Things just weren't working out with Nasher here, and I won't even mention the Jeff Carter fiasco again ...

We've seen the entire division around us get built through solid drafting and developing. Now it's our turn. Let's grow our own superstars.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:43 PM
stoneinen12

http://youtu.be/OtWbc9-Wpnk

Drouin brings a skill set that I don't want to pass up.

http://youtu.be/K7YDx0M51WE

Old
03-07-2013, 07:48 PM
Sore Loser
HF Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoneinen12 View Post
http://youtu.be/OtWbc9-Wpnk

Drouin brings a skill set that I don't want to pass up.

http://youtu.be/K7YDx0M51WE
I could find highlight videos of every single prospect in the draft if I looked hard enough.

What matters is what happens in between the highlights.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:59 PM
stoneinen12

Quote:
I could find highlight videos of every single prospect in the draft if I looked hard enough.

I'm sure you could, but not with that skill set, and the frequency in which he does it. I recommend you watch one of his games. He plays a complete and very intelligent game.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Fred Glover
Chief of Sinners

vCash: 5193
Quote:

at least he has highlights

Closed Thread