HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Notices

In-season Proposals, Rumors, Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) XXXIII ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Foppa2118

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslanrh View Post
Can anyone tell me how far away Gormley is from playing NHL level and how he projects as a suitable LHD partner for EJ? Thinking Gormley + for Staz is better than giving up Staz + for Yandle.

If Gormley is ready to play, I would really like a Korpikoski + Gormley for Staz +
Yea I'm curious about this too. I don't see how we get Yandle out of Phoenix at this point, but Gormley could be a possibility given they have OEL, Yandle, and Klesla all above him in the LH D depth chart.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:37 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Can anyone tell me how far away Gormley is from playing NHL level and how he projects as a suitable LHD partner for EJ? Thinking Gormley + for Staz is better than giving up Staz + for Yandle.

If Gormley is ready to play, I would really like a Korpikoski + Gormley for Staz +
Would Hanzal and Gormley be too much? I don't know how much value Gormley has but I would love Hanzal as our 3rd C.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:38 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

My God, if Armstrong were dumb enough to flip Perron for Stastny I'd do it in a heartbeat, concussions or no concussions. Keep in mind Stastny has had some injury problems of his own in the past.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:39 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:

I'm super high on Gormley but I'm with PAZ, I'd rather have Yandle...

Phoenix also isn't going to be shipping out forwards IMO. Besides, your trade idea is still Stastny + as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
My God, if Armstrong were dumb enough to flip Perron for Stastny I'd do it in a heartbeat, concussions or no concussions. Keep in mind Stastny has had some injury problems of his own in the past.
I personally think Oshie's game would fit better with Landeskog & O'Reilly, and Perron is a LW not a RW...

Old
03-07-2013, 02:39 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
Would Hanzal and Gormley be too much? I don't know how much value Gormley has but I would love Hanzal as our 3rd C.
Probably, but I would do that deal. Hanzal is a perfect #3C and Gormley has top pairing potential.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:42 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:
He has had nothing that leads to future problems. An appendectomy and a few broken bones are not a big deal, concussions are.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:42 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

I don't see Phoenix trading Hanzal for Stastny straight up, let alone adding Gromley to him. Hanzal is their most important player, not Doan, nor OEL, nor Yandle etc.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:43 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Probably, but I would do that deal. Hanzal is a perfect #3C and Gormley has top pairing potential.
In real life, if we added something strong like Sgarbossa I could see it. But don't even bother bringing it up on here because Phoenix fans would have a **** fit...

I will say this... for all of Hanzal's size and ability. He seems to be made of glass, he has a lot of little injuries again and again it seems.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:50 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
He has had nothing that leads to future problems. An appendectomy and a few broken bones are not a big deal, concussions are.
Regardless, I'd do that deal in a heartbeat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I don't see Phoenix trading Hanzal for Stastny staright up, let alone adding Gromley to him. Hanzal is their most important player, not Doan, nor OEL, nor Yandle etc.
Yup. He's basically been the only forward the organization has successfully developed since coming to Phoenix, which should tell you how horrible they've drafted and developed talent in those years. They won't part with him unless the return is huge.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:51 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
I think Perron is a good player, but why would Armstrong need to be stupid to trade him for Stastny? He's a 55-65 point winger and Stastny is a 55-65 point center, I don't see how Perron would be a great pick-up in a deal involving Stastny.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:53 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraAcesS View Post
I'm super high on Gormley but I'm with PAZ, I'd rather have Yandle...

Phoenix also isn't going to be shipping out forwards IMO. Besides, your trade idea is still Stastny + as well.

I personally think Oshie's game would fit better with Landeskog & O'Reilly, and Perron is a LW not a RW...
But most likely not the + that would go with Yandle, and 2 quality players coming back is all I was thinking. Not even sure how big the + would need to be for Gormley and Korpi, but I don't imagine much.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:54 PM
RobinDIF
Reunite ROR & Landy!

Quote:
I don't see Phoenix trading Hanzal for Stastny straight up, let alone adding Gromley to him. Hanzal is their most important player, not Doan, nor OEL, nor Yandle etc.
I agree with Doan and Yandle.

Not OEL. He could be up for Norris this year.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:57 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
I think Perron is a good player, but why would Armstrong need to be stupid to trade him for Stastny? He's a 55-65 point winger and Stastny is a 55-65 point center, I don't see how Perron would be a great pick-up in a deal involving Stastny.
Perron has only played 3 full seasons in the NHL. There's plenty of potential for growth. Stastny has peaked already--you're not going to see anything better than those 79-point seasons he's put together.

And IMO, Perron has yet to be centered by a true playmaker. St. Louis needs to get an elite center if they want to contend--right now Backes/Berglund/Steen is pretty solid, but rather pedestrian. Andy McDonald is pretty much done.

The younger guy with more potential has a cap hit just over half of the other guy. It's not a contest.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:01 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinDIF View Post
I agree with Doan and Yandle.

Not OEL. He could be up for Norris this year.
If OEL goes down Yotes have enough of defensive depth to replace him without hurting too much, on teh other hand there's absolutely no one to replace what Hanzal brings to the team. And for the record I didn't say Hanzal carries the most weight in the trade market, what I meant was that he's the most important guy on that team when it comes to sucessfully running Tippet's system and he's a unique player in the NHL, he's probably this generations Boby Holik without Holik's offensive touch.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:04 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
If OEL goes down Yotes have enough of defensive depth to replace him without hurting too much, on teh other hand there's absolutely no one to replace what Hanzal brings to the team. And for the record I didn't say Hanzal carries the most weight in the trade market, what I meant was that he's the most important guy on that team when it comes to sucessfully running Tippet's system and he's a unique player in the NHL, he's probably this generations Boby Holik without Holik's offensive touch.
Yikes. That's saying something. I certainly hope he has better PK chops than Holik at least.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:08 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Perron has only played 3 full seasons in the NHL. There's plenty of potential for growth. Stastny has peaked already--you're not going to see anything better than those 79-point seasons he's put together.

And IMO, Perron has yet to be centered by a true playmaker. St. Louis needs to get an elite center if they want to contend--right now Backes/Berglund/Steen is pretty solid, but rather pedestrian. Andy McDonald is pretty much done.

The younger guy with more potential has a cap hit just over half of the other guy. It's not a contest.
Do you view O'Reilly as a true play-maker though? Their argument on the main board is that they would want Stastny between Stewart & Perron.

Oshie's defensive ability and aggressive energy makes him a better fit with Landeskog & O'Reilly for us IMO. It's not like Oshie can't score either, hes got a pretty strong shot. But he would be able to play that fore-checking/cycle game that O'Reilly/Landy play perfectly.

Oshie is like a better all around Downie, IMO a clear cut top 6 winger version of Downie.

Gawd I'd love this top 9 next season...

McGinn - Duchene - Parenteau

Landeskog - O'Reilly - Oshie

Jones/Mitchell/UFA - Bozak - Downie

Old
03-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Do you view O'Reilly as a true play-maker though? Their argument on the main board is that they would want Stastny between Stewart & Perron.

Oshie's defensive ability and aggressive energy makes him a better fit with Landeskog & O'Reilly for us IMO. It's not like Oshie can't score either, hes got a pretty strong shot. But he would be able to play that fore-checking/cycle game that O'Reilly/Landy play perfectly.

Oshie is like a better all around Downie, IMO a clear cut top 6 winger version of Downie.
Agreed on the Oshie/Downie comparison, but I was thinking more of a Perron - Duchene - Parenteau line. I think it'd be a devastating combo. I think we're okay on grinding wingers who can score--we need more skill.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:16 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
Agreed on the Oshie/Downie comparison, but I was thinking more of a Perron - Duchene - Parenteau line. I think it'd be a devastating combo. I think we're okay on grinding wingers who can score--we need more skill.
Probably a good point, but I like McGinn next to Duchene and Parenteau... Oshie would just complete our top 6 in exactly the way we want our identity to be going forward.

McGinn is a complimentary winger on that line in all the ways you want him to be. And McGinn does not need to have puck on his stick or carry the play in order to be effective, he also brings a toughness element to that line.

How does Perron compare to McGinn on skating/toughness? McGinn's speed and simple game makes him perfect where he is IMO, I also think McGinn will continue to get better in the role hes been given, along with the fact that he has earned his place on that line as well.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:23 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:

St. Louis does need a #1C, no doubt about that. I just don't think that Perron as the piece to come back. I'm not saying I'm opposed to it, I just don't see it happening when they are going to try to make a run. You are much more likely to get a package with Schwartz or Rattie in the deal with a player like Berglund being the roster player coming back.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:34 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
St. Louis does need a #1C, no doubt about that. I just don't think that Perron as the piece to come back. I'm not saying I'm opposed to it, I just don't see it happening when they are going to try to make a run. You are much more likely to get a package with Schwartz or Rattie in the deal with a player like Berglund being the roster player coming back.
Oh no, I don't think St. Louis will ever part with Perron, not if they know what's good for them--I was just commenting that if Armstrong were crazy enough to trade the guy for Paul Stastny, I'd be all over that deal. You're right, more than likely they trade a complementary piece (or Stewart) before they even consider dealing a core piece like Perron.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:34 PM
CobraAcesS

Quote:
The problem is that we don't want a center coming back in the deal, especially at the expense of the other pieces value in the deal as well.

They are deep at wing, especially at RW...

Old
03-07-2013, 03:46 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

No doubt if we trade with Blues I would want Oshie from them by a big margin.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:46 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
The problem is that we don't want a center coming back in the deal, especially at the expense of the other pieces value in the deal as well.

Deep at wing is fine and dandy, but we really need to address the LHD if we're going to trade Staz. I don't see what else we can use to fill that hole, that wouldn't leave another gaping hole behind.

03-07-2013, 03:47 PM
henchman24
#ImagineAvs

Quote:

Why don't we want a center coming back? As a hypothetical lets say we trade Stastny. Then we are rolling Duchene-ROR-Mitchell-Olver as our 4 centers. Not really a playoff level combo, and if Duchene or ROR gets hurt, Mitchell is the #2. That is a scary thought. Duchene-ROR-Berglund-Mitchell is actually pretty strong.

IMO we still need to get a solid #3C if we trade off Stastny or ROR. Mitchell, as surprising and solid as he has been, is not a long-term solution to our #3C role. Berglund would allow for a very solid 3rd line to be formed. Now I think our top priority should be bringing back a top 4 LD, but that isn't going to happen in a Blues trade. The best deal we can make any team is taking one of their top prospects and a young #3C or Top 4 D. There might be some other moving parts, but that is the basis of the deal.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:49 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Why don't we want a center coming back? As a hypothetical lets say we trade Stastny. Then we are rolling Duchene-ROR-Mitchell-Olver as our 4 centers. Not really a playoff level combo, and if Duchene or ROR gets hurt, Mitchell is the #2. That is a scary thought. Duchene-ROR-Berglund-Mitchell is actually pretty strong.

IMO we still need to get a solid #3C if we trade off Stastny or ROR. Mitchell, as surprising and solid as he has been, is not a long-term solution to our #3C role. Berglund would allow for a very solid 3rd line to be formed. Now I think our top priority should be bringing back a top 4 LD, but that isn't going to happen in a Blues trade. The best deal we can make any team is taking one of their top prospects and a young #3C or Top 4 D. There might be some other moving parts, but that is the basis of the deal.
A 3rd line C that can fill in on the 2nd shouldn't be too hard to find on the FA market. (Bozak?). We don't need that coming back in a Staz trade, IMO.

Closed Thread