HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

** Official 2013 Fire Sacco Thread: Part 1 **

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 01:48 AM
The Kingslayer

vCash: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloparren View Post
I remember hearing a while back about how the players loved Joe Sacco. If you're a bad team then you don't want your players to love the coach. You want the players to dislike the coach and make them work and be afraid for their job. Sacco doesn't intimidate anyone.
What was that famous quote?

We hated Scotty 364 days of the year and on day 365 we collected our cup rings" in reference to Scotty Bowman. If you love your coach and your losing your team is screwed. Sacco is like that teacher who gave out gold stars to the kid that came in 9th in a 9 man race.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:37 AM
AslanRH
#RespectTheCliche

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post

We hated Scotty 364 days of the year and on day 365 we collected our cup rings" in reference to Scotty Bowman. If you love your coach and your losing your team is screwed. Sacco is like that teacher who gave out gold stars to the kid that came in 9th in a 9 man race.
It was a ribbon, and my parents were very proud of me.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:25 PM
IndustryLeech

vCash: 500
So who is available that would be an improvement over Sacco, outside the Avs organization? I know, this is pie-in-sky stuff thinking hiring outside the incestuous system the Avs have set up is remotely possible, but I'd like to dream big. Is Ruff a major improvement?

Old
03-07-2013, 03:02 PM
AslanRH
#RespectTheCliche

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndustryLeech View Post
So who is available that would be an improvement over Sacco, outside the Avs organization? I know, this is pie-in-sky stuff thinking hiring outside the incestuous system the Avs have set up is remotely possible, but I'd like to dream big. Is Ruff a major improvement?
I would want the Avs to wait until summer to find a replacement. Quinn/Army can end the year if Sacco goes early, but that would really open the door for one of them to take over. Wait until summer and see who goes. If teams like Philly, NYR, and Phoenix collapse or Tampa decides to make a change, its possible some good coaches end up available.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:06 PM
the_fan

Quote:
Lindy Ruff

Edit: Simple explanation, highly doubtful Ruff would put 5 forwards on the PP when his team has a lead in the 3rd period.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:09 PM
PAZ

If Pens have another early round exit, I could see Bylsma going and Ruff being the replacement.

I'd rather have Bylsma over Ruff for where our team is.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:12 PM
IndustryLeech

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
Lindy Ruff

Edit: Simple explanation, highly doubtful Ruff would put 5 forwards on the PP when his team has a lead in the 3rd period.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:13 PM
EdAVSfan

Guy Boucher could be a potential candidate in the near future.

I've heard rumblings from Pierre McGuire that Boucher is in a tough spot. If Tampa continues to not produce results, management wants to be sure they dont lose out on Jon Cooper, and could let Boucher go.

He'd be a viable candidate.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:47 PM
detrude
(╯į□į)╯ ︵ ┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aslanrh View Post
I would want the Avs to wait until summer to find a replacement. Quinn/Army can end the year if Sacco goes early, but that would really open the door for one of them to take over. Wait until summer and see who goes. If teams like Philly, NYR, and Phoenix collapse or Tampa decides to make a change, its possible some good coaches end up available.
Yeah I'm really torn on this. I like Ruff and think he'd do well with our team. I think bringing him in now (or soon) would really help this group. Reading around the boards it sounds like Tortorella, Laviolette, Bylsma, and Boucher are all on the hot seat. Tippett's contract is also up this summer, and with the uncertainty of the Coyotes it's possible he isn't retained. There could be a number of good coaches available this summer, or there could be none (outside of the guys already available).

But this assumes we'd even consider these guys and not just stay the course with Quinn/Army/Chenowyth, and I'm not convinced this won't happen. If Sacco goes and someone gets promoted, I don't think they'll carry an interim tag.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:58 PM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everberg flow

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Wasn't Quinn highly regarded in Lake Erie? I seem to recall Dreger including him in a top 10 list of future NHL head coaches last year and guys that are on the NHL radar.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:05 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Wasn't Quinn highly regarded in Lake Erie? I seem to recall Dreger including him in a top 10 list of future NHL head coaches last year and guys that are on the NHL radar.
He was, yes.

Ruff would be an improvement over what we have...my only beef with Lindy is his love for grinders.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:07 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mars Volchenkov View Post
Here's what Dreger said about Quinn:

Quote:
Lake Erie's David Quinn is our 'out of left field' candidate. The Monsters - Colorado's farm club - are off to a rough start, but Quinn's coaching rivals say his players play hard for him and are always well prepared. Prior to joining Lake Erie in 2009, Quinn spent five seasons with the Boston University Terriers as an associate coach and won the NCAA championship before making the move to Lake Erie.
http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=379000

Old
03-07-2013, 04:12 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Here's what Dreger said about Quinn:

http://www.tsn.ca/blogs/darren_dreger/?id=379000
I never know whether to trust these kinds of reports on lower level coaches. They seem very politically motivated.

Dreger just decided to look into an out of left field coach like Quinn with a losing record, and it just so happened his "coaching rivals" had good things to say about his players being well prepared, and that was enough to give him national praise despite the losing record?

I don't know. Maybe they're right, these reports just always seem fishy to me.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:14 PM
PAZ

I don't give a crap if Quinn is top-10 future NHL coaches.

I'd rather get a current top-10 current NHL coach. Something has gotta give this season IMO, lots of teams are in the hot seat.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I never know whether to trust these kinds of reports on lower level coaches. They seem very politically motivated.

Dreger just decided to look into an out of left field coach like Quinn with a losing record, and it just so happened his "coaching rivals" had good things to say about his players being well prepared, and that was enough to give him national praise despite the losing record?

I don't know. Maybe they're right, these reports just always seem fishy to me.
Mentioning him last in the article and calling him an "out of left field" candidate isn't really a ringing endorsement. Quinn just seems like another guy who likes the "grind it out" and "dump and chase" style of hockey. Another Sacco.

He might not be a bad coach and I think people other than Dreger do like him, I just want a guy with more experience. Someone who is a bit more creative on offense would be nice too.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:41 PM
IceRat
#BallsOnTheTable

Quote:
So who is available that would be an improvement over Sacco, outside the Avs organization?
anyone with a pulse and some without

Old
03-07-2013, 09:55 PM
RobinDIF
Size doesn't matter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceRat View Post
anyone with a pulse and some without
This is what I'm afraid of. That we will eventually hire "anyone" who is better than Sacco, and then we are stuck with that guy for 3-4 years.

I know I'm in a minority here, but hold on to Sacco and wait for the right name to become available. (Laviolette, hopefully)

Old
03-08-2013, 12:07 AM
avsman

I think Bylsma would be great for this team

Old
03-08-2013, 12:17 AM
dsheehan73

I just want them to show us that they are not dysfunctional, only hiring from w/in. Bringing in a recognizable successful coach and/or GM from somewhere else would do that. Else it will be same old same old for the last 10 years which hasn't worked.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:39 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
dale hunter? not sure of the logistics, but he sure turned the caps season around last year

Old
03-08-2013, 01:13 AM
benzino

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
dale hunter? not sure of the logistics, but he sure turned the caps season around last year
Didn't he leave his beloved Caps for family reasons? He would be better than Sacco but think he is happy in Ontario with his OHL team.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:17 AM
PAZ

Dale Hunter loves the dump and grind style just as much as Sacco. He just employs it a bit better, but i'd rather not have him.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:30 AM
the_fan

Too bad George Gwozdecky doesn't want to coach in the NHL because he would of been great for the Avs.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:53 AM
avs1dacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fan View Post
Too bad George Gwozdecky doesn't want to coach in the NHL because he would of been great for the Avs.
Been thinking this for years. Sucks.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:22 AM
Ceremony
I will swim

vCash: 24000
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kingslayer View Post

Hey there's an idea, get Kurt Russell as coach.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Closed Thread