HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Booth - All The Tools....No Toolbox

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 02:55 PM
Toxic0n
"No shortcuts"

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post

In the meantime Booth draws a lot more penalties then he takes which doesn't show up in personal stats but when our PP clicks it will definitely help out.
Booth draws the most penatlies/60 minutes on our team at 3.6
The closest is Weisse at 2.0 and Kesler at 1.9

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...2+43+44+45+46#

Old
03-07-2013, 03:14 PM
LeftCoast

I think David Booth's impact on the team is underrated. Yeah we all see him play and say "He doesn't everything well except pass and score", but we lose track of what he does to help control the pace of the game.

He starts only 45% of his shifts in the offensive zone, yet finishes 58% of his shifts there. He also has the third highest Corsi score on the team. This is a result of his prevalence to shoot the puck a lot. His Corsi score and PDO are skewed a little because he shoots the puck so much (and has a very low shooting percentage). However even with the lowest shooting percentage on the team, because he plays with linemates who like to crash the net, the goalie, more often than not is going to freeze the puck. According to Mike Gillis and Alain Vigneault's zone start philosophy, this almost always results in a Sedin shift starting in the O-Zone. As a result, a David Booth shift is often followed by a Sedin shift, starting in the offensive zone.

Other than his lack of scoring, the other negative with Booth is that he is not very good on the cycle. He play strong on the boards and can free up pucks, but he doesn't read his teammates well and doesn't give and go very well. As a result, he doesn't generate sustained pressure in the O-Zone. Remember that Corsi uses shots directed at the net as a proxy for zone time. Booth's Corsi is skewed because almost every possession results in a shot - most of them low percentage. This factor alone is what keeps him out of the top 6.

We also have some really healthy competition for those top 6 wing positions. Hansen, Raymond and Higgins have looked pretty good - even with Raymond at centre Kassian could also make a case for more playing time.

The real problem for Booth is Lapierre on the third line - and that's not going to change until Kesler returns because Schroeder is not ready to play that role.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:30 PM
cutcopy

vCash: 500
Booth sucks. I don't get why people are so lenient towards him. Most of you were *****ing about Mason Raymond last season without even taking into consideration that he got off a serious back injury. Whatever, I'm just probably being a dick and can't look past booth's salary, but he seriously sucks. I don't care what the stats say, he doesn't even play against top competition. And I don't buy the Lapierre crap, he's not the sole reason why booth sucks. Maybe if Booth didn't suck so much, he wouldn't be stuck on the fourth line.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by croutonsinmysalad View Post
Whatever, I'm just probably being a dick and can't look past booth's salary, but he seriously sucks. I don't care what the stats say.
yep!

Old
03-07-2013, 03:42 PM
cutcopy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
yep!
It doesn't bother you how he makes so much, yet contributes to little to the team?

Old
03-07-2013, 03:48 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
It doesn't bother you how he makes so much, yet contributes to little to the team?
he contributes a lot to the team. im sorry if you can't understand the concepts behind his contribution so far, but i'm pretty happy with his possession stats

if you scour the thread for my posts you might get some insight into why he's a useful player. give it a try!

Old
03-07-2013, 03:51 PM
B-rock

Quote:
Booth sucks. I don't get why people are so lenient towards him. Most of you were *****ing about Mason Raymond last season without even taking into consideration that he got off a serious back injury. Whatever, I'm just probably being a dick and can't look past booth's salary, but he seriously sucks. I don't care what the stats say, he doesn't even play against top competition. And I don't buy the Lapierre crap, he's not the sole reason why booth sucks. Maybe if Booth didn't suck so much, he wouldn't be stuck on the fourth line.
Booth just got off a groin injury. Soo, you're willing to cut Mayray some slack for an injury, but not Booth?

Old
03-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
Booth just got off a groin injury. Soo, you're willing to cut Mayray some slack for an injury, but not Booth?
what slack? he's good enough now

Old
03-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Verviticus

man when hamhuis recovers from his concussion in 2010 imagine how good he'll be

Old
03-07-2013, 04:00 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
Watching Booth play is more frustrating than I remember it being last season, the guy should be a top player, he has the size, speed, shot, and shows flashes of nice hands yet he seems to be unable to put it all together. He will constantly make a nice move and follow it up with a bad one or a bad pass. Whats up with this guy, is it bad hockey sense or bad luck?
Very poor hockey sense. Can't make a pass, doesn't know where to go. Also, an accustomed loser. Lost all the time in Florida, which IMO is relevant and does have an effect.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:02 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
Very poor hockey sense. Can't make a pass, doesn't know where to go. Also, an accustomed loser. Lost all the time in Florida, which IMO is relevant and does have an effect.
ya, it makes him hungrier and more aggressive to win

oh wait, did you want to spin that the other direction because it fits your opinions of him better? too late, the narrative's mine now

David Booth, perennial loser and victim of bad team, willing to do anything, including murder helpless animals, to win at hockey.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:09 PM
PearJuice*

I know I was too hard on him in a previous thread when I said he was "useless." He isn't completely useless. He is big, fast, and drives the net when he's in the mood. He is also defensively responsible, draws some penalties, and seems like a good teammate.

However, in the big picture, Booth is one of Gillis' biggest blunders.

He's simply not a legit Top 6 forward on a good team like the Canucks. Perhaps on a crap team like Florida he is, but no team is ever going to win a Cup with Booth in the Top 6. He simply isn't good enough. Even when he's "producing" he's a 0.5 pts/game player at best, which isn't consistent enough for a 2nd line player.

The guy has zero hockey sense. Sure, he looks good at times - he is big and fast -but much of it is smoke and mirrors. He can't pass and that makes him really easy to defend against. For a "goalscorer" he doesn't seem to have a particularly great shot.

His recent injury woes are not a suffiecient excuse. He hasn't looked the same since Richards KO'd him years ago. Gillis gambled that he would bounce back, and he lost. Simple as that.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:10 PM
Shareefruck

Max Lapierre has far superior hockey sense and playmaking ability to Booth.

Let's all sit and think about that for a second.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:12 PM
PearJuice*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post

Sad but true.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:12 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
ya, it makes him hungrier and more aggressive to win

oh wait, did you want to spin that the other direction because it fits your opinions of him better? too late, the narrative's mine now

David Booth, perennial loser and victim of bad team, willing to do anything, including murder helpless animals, to win at hockey.
Um, OK.

Not sure what your point is, but David Booth has now played 7 games and he's gotten 1 assist. All the while consuming $4.25M of our cap. Those are facts.

It was pretty clearly a bad trade when it happened, and to think that we've got him under contract at that number for the next two seasons, as well, is pretty depressing.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:13 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBettman View Post
However, in the big picture, Booth is one of Gillis' biggest blunders.

He's simply not a legit Top 6 forward on a good team like the Canucks. Perhaps on a crap team like Florida he is, but no team is ever going to win a Cup with Booth in the Top 6. He simply isn't good enough.
hes been scoring at a rate commensurate with "good top six winger" for the entire time he's been here, last 5 games notwithstanding. why is he not a top six winger on the canucks

Quote:

and yet at no point when they've both been on the same team has lappy ever been the better player of the two. i wonder if booth being physically better at every aspect of the game has an effect on this

Old
The Optimist

vCash: 400
Booth is a beast. He skates fast, hits hard, protects the puck well and drives the net. I wish we had a Booth type on every line.

Old
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
Um, OK.

Not sure what your point is, but David Booth has now played 7 games and he's gotten 1 assist. All the while consuming $4.25M of our cap. Those are facts.

It was pretty clearly a bad trade when it happened, and to think that we've got him under contract at that number for the next two seasons, as well, is pretty depressing.
can you go back and read the other stuff i posted about how looking at a single assist over seven games is an awful way (implied) to judge him as a player please? thanks

Old
03-07-2013, 04:14 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:

Yet David has a more positive effect on the game, also disagree with your post unless you are talking about PK

Old
03-07-2013, 04:15 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:

Disagree.

Defensive ability and hockey sense are two different things. If Booth had as bad of hockey sense as you say, he wouldn't get all the semi-breakaways he gets.

He's a limited playmaker, I'll give you that, but I don't want him making plays. I want him taking the puck to the net.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:20 PM
The Optimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
He's a limited playmaker, I'll give you that, but I don't want him making plays.
"The Canucks don't shoot enough" and "The Canucks never drive the net" two of the most common complaints by fans.

Booth does both and yet he gets criticized for not passing enough.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Optimist View Post
"The Canucks don't shoot enough" and "The Canucks never drive the net" two of the most common complaints by fans.

no, he gets criticized for the theoretical world where he passes too much and his passes are bad because he has no hockey brain

Old
03-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations

Quote:

They must mean shoot like Stamkos

Old
03-07-2013, 04:24 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:

It's because we're spoiled having two of the best playmakers on the league on the 1st line.

We think everyone should be a Sedin. It really is crazy.

Good point, I like your optimism!

Old
03-07-2013, 04:27 PM
The Optimist

The Sedins aren't fast enough, Crosby doesn't hit enough and Gretzky isn't physical enough! It's fun to play the "Name that players' weakness game". Every player, no matter who they are, has a weakness. If Booth's biggest weakness is his poor passes then I can live with that as long as he brings his strengths to the team - which he has been.

Closed Thread