HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Booth - All The Tools....No Toolbox

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2013, 02:55 PM
  #76
Toxic0n
"No shortcuts"
 
Toxic0n's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Tank nation
Posts: 1,728
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kthsn View Post

In the meantime Booth draws a lot more penalties then he takes which doesn't show up in personal stats but when our PP clicks it will definitely help out.
Booth draws the most penatlies/60 minutes on our team at 3.6
The closest is Weisse at 2.0 and Kesler at 1.9

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...2+43+44+45+46#

Toxic0n is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 03:14 PM
  #77
LeftCoast
Registered User
 
LeftCoast's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,939
vCash: 50
I think David Booth's impact on the team is underrated. Yeah we all see him play and say "He doesn't everything well except pass and score", but we lose track of what he does to help control the pace of the game.

He starts only 45% of his shifts in the offensive zone, yet finishes 58% of his shifts there. He also has the third highest Corsi score on the team. This is a result of his prevalence to shoot the puck a lot. His Corsi score and PDO are skewed a little because he shoots the puck so much (and has a very low shooting percentage). However even with the lowest shooting percentage on the team, because he plays with linemates who like to crash the net, the goalie, more often than not is going to freeze the puck. According to Mike Gillis and Alain Vigneault's zone start philosophy, this almost always results in a Sedin shift starting in the O-Zone. As a result, a David Booth shift is often followed by a Sedin shift, starting in the offensive zone.

Other than his lack of scoring, the other negative with Booth is that he is not very good on the cycle. He play strong on the boards and can free up pucks, but he doesn't read his teammates well and doesn't give and go very well. As a result, he doesn't generate sustained pressure in the O-Zone. Remember that Corsi uses shots directed at the net as a proxy for zone time. Booth's Corsi is skewed because almost every possession results in a shot - most of them low percentage. This factor alone is what keeps him out of the top 6.

We also have some really healthy competition for those top 6 wing positions. Hansen, Raymond and Higgins have looked pretty good - even with Raymond at centre Kassian could also make a case for more playing time.

The real problem for Booth is Lapierre on the third line - and that's not going to change until Kesler returns because Schroeder is not ready to play that role.

LeftCoast is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 03:30 PM
  #78
cutcopy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 729
vCash: 500
Booth sucks. I don't get why people are so lenient towards him. Most of you were *****ing about Mason Raymond last season without even taking into consideration that he got off a serious back injury. Whatever, I'm just probably being a dick and can't look past booth's salary, but he seriously sucks. I don't care what the stats say, he doesn't even play against top competition. And I don't buy the Lapierre crap, he's not the sole reason why booth sucks. Maybe if Booth didn't suck so much, he wouldn't be stuck on the fourth line.

cutcopy is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 03:39 PM
  #79
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,913
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by croutonsinmysalad View Post
Whatever, I'm just probably being a dick and can't look past booth's salary, but he seriously sucks. I don't care what the stats say.
yep!

Verviticus is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 03:42 PM
  #80
cutcopy
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
yep!
It doesn't bother you how he makes so much, yet contributes to little to the team?

cutcopy is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 03:48 PM
  #81
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,913
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by croutonsinmysalad View Post
It doesn't bother you how he makes so much, yet contributes to little to the team?
he contributes a lot to the team. im sorry if you can't understand the concepts behind his contribution so far, but i'm pretty happy with his possession stats

if you scour the thread for my posts you might get some insight into why he's a useful player. give it a try!

Verviticus is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 03:51 PM
  #82
B-rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 2,188
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by croutonsinmysalad View Post
Booth sucks. I don't get why people are so lenient towards him. Most of you were *****ing about Mason Raymond last season without even taking into consideration that he got off a serious back injury. Whatever, I'm just probably being a dick and can't look past booth's salary, but he seriously sucks. I don't care what the stats say, he doesn't even play against top competition. And I don't buy the Lapierre crap, he's not the sole reason why booth sucks. Maybe if Booth didn't suck so much, he wouldn't be stuck on the fourth line.
Booth just got off a groin injury. Soo, you're willing to cut Mayray some slack for an injury, but not Booth?

B-rock is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 03:54 PM
  #83
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,913
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
Booth just got off a groin injury. Soo, you're willing to cut Mayray some slack for an injury, but not Booth?
what slack? he's good enough now

Verviticus is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 03:54 PM
  #84
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,913
vCash: 50
man when hamhuis recovers from his concussion in 2010 imagine how good he'll be

Verviticus is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 04:00 PM
  #85
King of the ES*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by moog35 View Post
Watching Booth play is more frustrating than I remember it being last season, the guy should be a top player, he has the size, speed, shot, and shows flashes of nice hands yet he seems to be unable to put it all together. He will constantly make a nice move and follow it up with a bad one or a bad pass. Whats up with this guy, is it bad hockey sense or bad luck?
Very poor hockey sense. Can't make a pass, doesn't know where to go. Also, an accustomed loser. Lost all the time in Florida, which IMO is relevant and does have an effect.

King of the ES* is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 04:02 PM
  #86
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,913
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
Very poor hockey sense. Can't make a pass, doesn't know where to go. Also, an accustomed loser. Lost all the time in Florida, which IMO is relevant and does have an effect.
ya, it makes him hungrier and more aggressive to win

oh wait, did you want to spin that the other direction because it fits your opinions of him better? too late, the narrative's mine now

David Booth, perennial loser and victim of bad team, willing to do anything, including murder helpless animals, to win at hockey.

Verviticus is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 04:09 PM
  #87
PearJuice*
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,109
vCash: 500
I know I was too hard on him in a previous thread when I said he was "useless." He isn't completely useless. He is big, fast, and drives the net when he's in the mood. He is also defensively responsible, draws some penalties, and seems like a good teammate.

However, in the big picture, Booth is one of Gillis' biggest blunders.

He's simply not a legit Top 6 forward on a good team like the Canucks. Perhaps on a crap team like Florida he is, but no team is ever going to win a Cup with Booth in the Top 6. He simply isn't good enough. Even when he's "producing" he's a 0.5 pts/game player at best, which isn't consistent enough for a 2nd line player.

The guy has zero hockey sense. Sure, he looks good at times - he is big and fast -but much of it is smoke and mirrors. He can't pass and that makes him really easy to defend against. For a "goalscorer" he doesn't seem to have a particularly great shot.

His recent injury woes are not a suffiecient excuse. He hasn't looked the same since Richards KO'd him years ago. Gillis gambled that he would bounce back, and he lost. Simple as that.

PearJuice* is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 04:10 PM
  #88
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,350
vCash: 500
Max Lapierre has far superior hockey sense and playmaking ability to Booth.

Let's all sit and think about that for a second.

Shareefruck is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 04:12 PM
  #89
PearJuice*
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 1,109
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Max Lapierre has far superior hockey sense and playmaking ability to Booth.

Let's all sit and think about that for a second.
Sad but true.

PearJuice* is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 04:12 PM
  #90
King of the ES*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,728
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
ya, it makes him hungrier and more aggressive to win

oh wait, did you want to spin that the other direction because it fits your opinions of him better? too late, the narrative's mine now

David Booth, perennial loser and victim of bad team, willing to do anything, including murder helpless animals, to win at hockey.
Um, OK.

Not sure what your point is, but David Booth has now played 7 games and he's gotten 1 assist. All the while consuming $4.25M of our cap. Those are facts.

It was pretty clearly a bad trade when it happened, and to think that we've got him under contract at that number for the next two seasons, as well, is pretty depressing.

King of the ES* is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 04:13 PM
  #91
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,913
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBettman View Post
However, in the big picture, Booth is one of Gillis' biggest blunders.

He's simply not a legit Top 6 forward on a good team like the Canucks. Perhaps on a crap team like Florida he is, but no team is ever going to win a Cup with Booth in the Top 6. He simply isn't good enough.
hes been scoring at a rate commensurate with "good top six winger" for the entire time he's been here, last 5 games notwithstanding. why is he not a top six winger on the canucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Max Lapierre has far superior hockey sense and playmaking ability to Booth.

Let's all sit and think about that for a second.
and yet at no point when they've both been on the same team has lappy ever been the better player of the two. i wonder if booth being physically better at every aspect of the game has an effect on this

Verviticus is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 04:13 PM
  #92
The Optimist
Registered User
 
The Optimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SFU
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,342
vCash: 400
Booth is a beast. He skates fast, hits hard, protects the puck well and drives the net. I wish we had a Booth type on every line.

The Optimist is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 04:13 PM
  #93
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,913
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
Um, OK.

Not sure what your point is, but David Booth has now played 7 games and he's gotten 1 assist. All the while consuming $4.25M of our cap. Those are facts.

It was pretty clearly a bad trade when it happened, and to think that we've got him under contract at that number for the next two seasons, as well, is pretty depressing.
can you go back and read the other stuff i posted about how looking at a single assist over seven games is an awful way (implied) to judge him as a player please? thanks

Verviticus is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 04:14 PM
  #94
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Max Lapierre has far superior hockey sense and playmaking ability to Booth.

Let's all sit and think about that for a second.
Yet David has a more positive effect on the game, also disagree with your post unless you are talking about PK

Stories Tales Lies is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 04:15 PM
  #95
arsmaster*
semantic romantic
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Max Lapierre has far superior hockey sense and playmaking ability to Booth.

Let's all sit and think about that for a second.
Disagree.

Defensive ability and hockey sense are two different things. If Booth had as bad of hockey sense as you say, he wouldn't get all the semi-breakaways he gets.

He's a limited playmaker, I'll give you that, but I don't want him making plays. I want him taking the puck to the net.

arsmaster* is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 04:20 PM
  #96
The Optimist
Registered User
 
The Optimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SFU
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,342
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
He's a limited playmaker, I'll give you that, but I don't want him making plays.
"The Canucks don't shoot enough" and "The Canucks never drive the net" two of the most common complaints by fans.

Booth does both and yet he gets criticized for not passing enough.

The Optimist is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 04:21 PM
  #97
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,913
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Optimist View Post
"The Canucks don't shoot enough" and "The Canucks never drive the net" two of the most common complaints by fans.

Booth does both and yet he gets criticized for not passing enough.
no, he gets criticized for the theoretical world where he passes too much and his passes are bad because he has no hockey brain

Verviticus is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 04:22 PM
  #98
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,955
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Optimist View Post
"The Canucks don't shoot enough" and "The Canucks never drive the net" two of the most common complaints by fans.

Booth does both and yet he gets criticized for not passing enough.
They must mean shoot like Stamkos

Stories Tales Lies is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 04:24 PM
  #99
arsmaster*
semantic romantic
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Optimist View Post
"The Canucks don't shoot enough" and "The Canucks never drive the net" two of the most common complaints by fans.

Booth does both and yet he gets criticized for not passing enough.
It's because we're spoiled having two of the best playmakers on the league on the 1st line.

We think everyone should be a Sedin. It really is crazy.

Good point, I like your optimism!

arsmaster* is offline  
Old
03-07-2013, 04:27 PM
  #100
The Optimist
Registered User
 
The Optimist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SFU
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,342
vCash: 400
The Sedins aren't fast enough, Crosby doesn't hit enough and Gretzky isn't physical enough! It's fun to play the "Name that players' weakness game". Every player, no matter who they are, has a weakness. If Booth's biggest weakness is his poor passes then I can live with that as long as he brings his strengths to the team - which he has been.

The Optimist is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:46 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.