HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

grattons game

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2003, 11:38 AM
#44_delivers

vCash: 500
grattons game

what do you guys think of grattons play last night ?
i think he'll play monday vs. pitts he hustled his a$$ off yesterday and had a strong game, especially in the pk unit. id like to see him eventually replace dackell sooner then later.
off topic: its time to call ward imo.

Old
12-21-2003, 11:47 AM
Habsaku

I really like Gratton, him and Begin are similar players who give it all they got everygame. Him, Ward and Langdon on a fourth line would be great. All I hope is that in three months, when Begin will be healed, Juneau will retire. We'd then have more hard workers and more intense players.

These kind of players make the better ones work harder. I've seen Koivu block a shot(not even for Finland) before Begin came in. I've never seen Ribeiro and even less Dagenais work as hard. There are only three players who are not trying IMO, Audette, Perreault and Zednik even though Zed is not as bad as in the beggining of the year.

Old
12-21-2003, 11:55 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
I really like Gratton, him and Begin are similar players who give it all they got everygame. Him, Ward and Langdon on a fourth line would be great. All I hope is that in three months, when Begin will be healed, Juneau will retire. We'd then have more hard workers and more intense players.

These kind of players make the better ones work harder. I've seen Koivu block a shot(not even for Finland) before Begin came in. I've never seen Ribeiro and even less Dagenais work as hard. There are only three players who are not trying IMO, Audette, Perreault and Zednik even though Zed is not as bad as in the beggining of the year.
perfectly said habsaku, btw i saw that game when koivu blocked that shot i almost cryed, all the years we were a force in the league, were due to 4 great roll lines with dackell, juneau, and perrault i dont think we can have a good 3rd and 4th line call up sum baby habs and see them work there ass off to stay in. theyd do a better job then most, and like you said inspire the team to work harder.

Old
12-21-2003, 01:04 PM
Mike8

Gratton works hard, he's got the fundamentals in the game down and he's a very coachable player. He has good hockey sense with and without the puck, can spark some offense and won't hurt you defensively. He's also an agitator.

But I don't feel Gratton's an NHL calibre player. The main reason being that he's got such below average speed and size, and he was manhandled a few times by Toronto players down low. He doesn't have the speed to compensate for his lack of size, and I don't think he's strong enough to really be a force the way Begin is.

Frankly, I don't see the similarities between Begin and Gratton. Begin is a fast skater, who doesn't have his mobility down pat, while Gratton is mobile but has poor straight away speed. Begin runs right through you and looks to make momentum-changing hits, while Gratton's more offensively inclined.

I'd give him a few more games before we can accurately see what he can bring to the club. I think he could make a nice 4th line filler for the time being, and it would be nice to see him work with Ward and Langdon. Perhaps he can rekindle some success with Ward while providing a good faceoff presence and he's still able to get under the opposition's skin.

Overall I like the fact that he's being given a chance, I'm just weary of those feeling he's NHL calibre or similar to Begin.

Old
12-21-2003, 01:52 PM
Rahan

Weird Mike8, because I thought he was one of our fastest players along with Bulis and Koivu yesterday. Gratton is far from not being able to keep up with NHL pace, he broke many plays in Toronto's powerplays by using his speed to forecheck the guy who controlled the puck.. and was really a pest in forechecking, using his speed once again.

Closed Thread