HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Speculation III: No, Really, What's the BIGGEST Problem?

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 12:44 PM
mgeise

vCash: 500
I'd rather hold onto Stafford until the summer at least, as well, unless he starts lighting it up before the deadline. It's not like we're flush with proven scoring wingers (though Stafford is extremely inconsistent).

Old
03-07-2013, 12:50 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
With the very important difference of the cap going down next year.
The average cap space per team next year, is greater than it was this year

kind of minimizes your "very important" difference, with regards to the LA/Penner trade

the idea that a team is going to be burdened with the "average 2nd line winger" contract of a 27 yr old... is kind of silly to begin with

Old
03-07-2013, 01:27 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=417574

Quote:
Ansar Khan of mlive.com states that while the Detroit Red Wings will wait until closer to the deadline before they make a move, but if the club does act, they will be targeting a top-four defenceman or a top-six forward.

Khan lists Jay Bouwmeester of the Flames, Ryan Whitney of Oilers, Winnipeg Jets veteran Ron Hainsey, Lubomir Visnovsky and Mark Streit of the New York Islanders, and Buffalo Sabres veteran Robyn Regehr as players that the club could target.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:00 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
The average cap space per team next year, is greater than it was this year

kind of minimizes your "very important" difference, with regards to the LA/Penner trade

the idea that a team is going to be burdened with the "average 2nd line winger" contract of a 27 yr old... is kind of silly to begin with
: Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't said anything about a contract burden. My point was his contract takes him out of the rental trade category.

My entire set of responses started in reaction to a poster feeling we could move Stafford like we did Goose at the deadline to a contender.

The situations are completely different. Goose was on an expiring contract and brought a specialized skill. Stafford would not be a rental and unlikely to be a prime target for a contender and I laid out why I felt that was the case. He would be depth scoring but are teams really going to overpay like they did for Goose? Is Stafford really a prime target, I highly doubt it. And yes, the cap going down will influence GMs. And the Kings were not contenders at the time of the trade and were desperate for a top 6 forward. So there may be a team out there looking for a Stafford. But that's not a contender looking to rent a player for the playoffs.

Last edited by joshjull: 03-07-2013 at 02:08 PM.
Old
03-07-2013, 02:02 PM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
If fans are running this ship, count me out. Immediately.
Fair point, allow me to explain what I mean. For a great number of people Stafford embodies everything that is wrong with the Sabres. He is infuriatingly inconsistent, plays with no heart or passion and underachieves on a regular basis. I've wanted him gone for 3 seasons and know many people who agree with that.

Being rid of him would be another step in the right direction, even if we only get a late 1st or a second for him.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:06 PM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckbyaparkedcar View Post
If Stafford gets moved for a second my avatar is yours for a year.
Darcy has been openly shipping Stafford for quite some time. Other than a depth forward what could he get us?

Old
03-07-2013, 02:08 PM
Zip15

vCash: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by RazielMoshman View Post
Fair point, allow me to explain what I mean. For a great number of people Stafford embodies everything that is wrong with the Sabres. He is infuriatingly inconsistent, plays with no heart or passion and underachieves on a regular basis. I've wanted him gone for 3 seasons and know many people who agree with that.

Being rid of him would be another step in the right direction, even if we only get a late 1st or a second for him.
If you change "Stafford" to "Roy," you'd have posts from last year at this time. You can't keep bleeding talent for "heart and soul" players and expect to come out ahead in time.

As for your other comments, Stafford is inconsistent and sometimes underachieves; I don't believe he's ambivalent and passionless, but I recognize people who have such disdain for him will never acknowledge that point, so we'll agree to disagree.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:09 PM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
I've never pretended to be Regehr's biggest fan but what do people think of this? I'd be happy to for a high price. Have to be overpaying though. I think Weber is a better version anyway, Regehr is just to slow for me these days.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:11 PM
joshjull

To add to Zip's comments.

Regardless of what anyone thinks of Stafford. I can't ever recall him being referred to as a cancer or a problem in the room. There should be no rush to get rid of him for anything

Old
03-07-2013, 02:15 PM
TakeThatTootoo
Gare's "Partner"

Quote:
Darcy has been openly shipping Stafford for quite some time. Other than a depth forward what could he get us?
No. He hasn't. Just rumor mill junk. Darcy doesn't openly do anything.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:16 PM
TehDoak
I Like Eich

vCash: 903
Buffalo owes it to Regehr to see what he wants going forward. He may well wish to stay in Buffalo and if he's amicable to a short term, low (read: 2 million or so) year deal to stay on our bottom pairing, Buffalo should oblige. However, if he wants to use some of his last few years to go to a contender, the Sabres should work with him at the deadline.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:20 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
If you change "Stafford" to "Roy," you'd have posts from last year at this time. You can't keep bleeding talent for "heart and soul" players and expect to come out ahead in time.

As for your other comments, Stafford is inconsistent and sometimes underachieves; I don't believe he's ambivalent and passionless, but I recognize people who have such disdain for him will never acknowledge that point, so we'll agree to disagree.
Roy was a core member of the team and was the most accomplished player at his position on the team, and was still getting a ton of ice time until his last game. Stafford is neither of those, and his ice time has dropped significantly.

I also don't agree with the passionless, lazy vision of Stafford. I just don't think he has a great deal of hockey sense.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:27 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
Roy was a core member of the team and was the most accomplished player at his position on the team, and was still getting a ton of ice time until his last game. Stafford is neither of those, and his ice time has dropped significantly.

I also don't agree with the passionless, lazy vision of Stafford. I just don't think he has a great deal of hockey sense.
I don't understand how that has anything to do with my point that his gripes about Stafford were strikingly similar to many of those made about Roy: lazy, passionless, etc. I wasn't compairing their games or their usage.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Prospector74

Would you trade Ennis and Stafford for Paul Stastny? Makes us thin at RW this year without another move but that would make the forward group pretty good for next year (assuming we don't blow it all up).

Vanek-Hodgson-Poms
Ott/Foligno-Stastny-Armia

Leino
Grigo
Girgs
etc.
etc.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:31 PM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
I don't understand how that has anything to do with my point that his gripes about Stafford were strikingly similar to many of those made about Roy: lazy, passionless, etc. I wasn't compairing their games or their usage.
It was more to do with what you said about "bleeding talent for heart.". If you remove Stafford from this roster, you don't lose as much as you did by removing Roy from the roster.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:33 PM
BCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector74 View Post
Would you trade Ennis and Stafford for Paul Stastny?
Hell no.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:34 PM
Sabresfansince1980

I doubt Stafford gets moved, but not because Regier isn't or won't try. I think from Buffalo's perspective he's very tradeable, but OTOH he's under contract for another two seasons so there's time to wait and hope that both his game and his trade value improves. This deadline is going to be played fairly tight by most GMs because of the shortened schedule and compressed standings. There could be more buyers than normal, but I'm not so sure the type of return Regier would want will be available. If the goal is to open cap space, than I foresee a Stafford for picks type of deal (but Leino can be let go for cap space). If it's a hockey deal where Stafford is traded for a top-four d-man then I don't see it happening.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by stokes84 View Post
It was more to do with what you said about "bleeding talent for heart.". If you remove Stafford from this roster, you don't lose as much as you did by removing Roy from the roster.
As much? That's probably correct. Stafford has still been one of our better ES producers over the last two seasons--third among forwards in each of the previous two seasons (Roy was 1st and 8th in those seasons)--so based on many of these proposals of dumping Stafford for a 2nd or "anything just to get him off the team," we'll be bleeding talent. But, hey, at least people "won't have to look at him" anymore, so there's that.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prospector74 View Post
Would you trade Ennis and Stafford for Paul Stastny? Makes us thin at RW this year without another move but that would make the forward group pretty good for next year (assuming we don't blow it all up).

Vanek-Hodgson-Poms
Ott/Foligno-Stastny-Armia

Leino
Grigo
Girgs
etc.
etc.
Stafford for Stastny straight up...maybe. Ennis?!?!?! Never.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:46 PM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:

fair enuff. I understand that. His improved his defensive and physical play but his offense has completely disappeared. Seeing as offense is one of the biggest things we are missing I see that as a problem.

I wanted Roy and him gone at the same time so I'm not surprised. We need someone who's able to chip in 25-30 goals and 50-60 points reliably. Thats not him.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:55 PM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

Quote:
The situations are completely different. Goose was on an expiring contract and brought a specialized skill. Stafford would not be a rental and unlikely to be a prime target for a contender and I laid out why I felt that was the case. He would be depth scoring but are teams really going to overpay like they did for Goose? Is Stafford really a prime target, I highly doubt it. And yes, the cap going down will influence GMs. And the Kings were not contenders at the time of the trade and were desperate for a top 6 forward. So there may be a team out there looking for a Stafford. But that's not a contender looking to rent a player for the playoffs.
Gaustad wasn't wanted by contenders at Regier's asking price either. The 2011 Kings and 2012 Preds are closer together than you're making them sound, especially considering LA made the Penner deal expecting to have Kopitar for the playoffs.

There are maybe three teams in the West that don't really have a spot for Stafford - Chicago, Anaheim, and LA, and the Blackhawks are the only one of those teams which I'm certain about. He's an immediate, significant upgrade to every other team in the hunt out there.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:01 PM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeThatTootoo View Post
No. He hasn't. Just rumor mill junk. Darcy doesn't openly do anything.
He was mentioned along with Roy and Gausted last deadline, pretty sure Darcy has been open to offers but I fully accept that means little with the balding shrouded one.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:04 PM
RazielMoshman
Ever hopeful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
Stafford for Stastny straight up...maybe. Ennis?!?!?! Never.
Agreed, probably work for both teams. Give them a decent top 6, Stafford a new start, us a 2nd line centre. I'm pretty sure we could do Adam and Stafford for Stastny, realistically might not even need Adam.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:37 PM
Djp

Quote:
Agreed, probably work for both teams. Give them a decent top 6, Stafford a new start, us a 2nd line centre. I'm pretty sure we could do Adam and Stafford for Stastny, realistically might not even need Adam.
I have said on other threads...

A Stafford for Stasny is a fair trade...sure a couple of secondary players/picks could be dealt...but not Ennis.

this also saves the Sabres a mulligan with contracts to purge. Stafford would be the purge contract this off season, Leino would likely wait until summer 2014.

As for a lack of RWs--not to worried there. Remember Vanek shoots right but plays LW.....why cant a left shot(Leino) play RW?

Old
03-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
: Don't put words in my mouth. I didn't said anything about a contract burden. My point was his contract takes him out of the rental trade category.
Dustin Penner, Brad Boyes...

Quote:
My entire set of responses started in reaction to a poster feeling we could move Stafford like we did Goose at the deadline to a contender.

agreed... different then the Goose trade
but not so different from the Penner one

Closed Thread