HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > NCAA, CIS, and other college
NCAA, CIS, and other college Discuss college/university news, players, leagues, games, and tournaments.

The CIS 2013 University Cup

Old
03-06-2013, 07:49 PM
Oilers Chick
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Now for the $64,000 question....

When does this all get underway?

Oilers Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 07:54 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Starts next Thursday. The first game gets underway at 1PM CDT.

UNB Bruins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:33 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers Chick View Post
Now for the $64,000 question....

When does this all get underway?
Yeah - probably would have been good to add that to the first message in the thread.

Everything starts next week.

The awards banquet is next Wednesday night (March 13th).

The games start next Thursday, March 14th. This is a week earlier than most years as Saskatoon is also hosting the CHL Memorial Cup tournament the following weekend in the same building.

Two games on Thu/Fri/Sat. Winners on Thu advance to Sat, loser players the odd-man out on Friday. Gold is on Sunday (no Bronze medal game - there was a rumor it was coming back, but I can't find it on the schedule).

Both games on Saturday and Sunday's Gold Medal game are broadcast nationally on Sportsnet (live).
  • March 16, 1:30 pm Central (3:30 pm Eastern) on Sportsnet Ontario, West & Pacific
  • March 16, 8:00 pm Central (10:00 pm Eastern) on Sportsnet East, Ontario, West & Pacific
  • March 17, 5:30 pm Central (7:30 pm Eastern) on Sportsnet ONE

The following link outlines the hotels, dressing rooms and schedule of events for the tournament for those who are interested.

Univeristy Cup Bulletin v2

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 08:59 PM
AUS Fan

Playoffs start a week later, not the Memorial Cup....

AUS Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:00 PM
Rob

I just realized that I don't have Sportsnet One.

Will all the games still be livestreamed?

Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2013, 09:03 PM
AUS Fan

I would hope so. Lots of people dont have SN1.

Old
03-06-2013, 09:04 PM
wolf13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post

Pretty sure all the games are being live streamed.

wolf13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:07 PM
CanWestFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shootmaster_44 View Post
The only downside to playing in such a large arena is that one of Thursday or Friday afternoon games will play to a largely empty arena. One of the two games will have a large number of high school kids taking in an education fair on the concourse. Though, because the game starts at 1, they will likely leave before the end of the game. In 1999, my buddy and I were left behind by my school because they left to be back at school for 3:15 and the game wasn't over yet. Since we were 16, they assumed that we drove ourselves and that's why they didn't miss us.
Cameco donated 15,000 tickets for both the Thursday and Friday afternoon games. Each afternoon game will have 7500 kids from various elementary and high schools from Saskatoon and surrounding area. This should help liven the atmosphere up!!

CanWestFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 02:32 PM
Drummer
Better Red than Dead

CIS Major Awards

Here are the candidates for each of the CIS Major Awards.

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER (CIS Sullivan Trophy)
AUS - Lucas Bloodoff, Saint Mary's
CW - Blair Macaulay, Manitoba
OUA-E - Félix Petit, UQTR
OUA-W - Ryan Daniels, Laurier

ROOKIE OF THE YEAR (Clare Drake Award)
AUS - Mike Cazzola, Acadia
CW - James Henry, Manitoba
OUA-E - Mitch Porowski, Carleton
OUA-W - Andrew Bathgate, Guelph

DEFENCEMAN OF THE YEAR
AUS - Michael D'Orazio, Saint Mary's
CW - Jesse Craige, Alberta
OUA-E - Pierre-Luc Lessard, UQTR
OUA-W - Steve Ferry, Windsor

GOALTENDER OF THE YEAR
AUS - Wayne Savage, UPEI
CW - Kurtis Mucha, Alberta
OUA-E - Dan Spence, Nipissing
OUA-W - Ryan Daniels, Laurier

COACH OF THE YEAR (Father George Kehoe Memorial Award)
AUS - Trevor Stienburg, Saint Mary's
CW - Ian Herbers, Alberta
OUA-E - Gilles Bouchard, UQTR
OUA-W - Greg Puhalski, Laurier

MOST SPORTSMANLIKE PLAYER (R.W. Pugh Award)
AUS - Chris Culligan, UNB
CW - Jordan Hickmott, Alberta
OUA-E - Pierre-Luc Lessard, UQTR
OUA-W - Steven Reese, Western

STUDENT-ATHLETE AND COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARD (Dr. Randy Gregg Award)
AUS - Jordan Knox, UPEI
CW - Greg Gardner, Alberta
OUA-E - Riley Whitlock, Queen's
OUA-W - Brett Vandehogen, Windsor

Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:22 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanWestFan View Post
Cameco donated 15,000 tickets for both the Thursday and Friday afternoon games. Each afternoon game will have 7500 kids from various elementary and high schools from Saskatoon and surrounding area. This should help liven the atmosphere up!!
Oh good. I was worried that it would all be one day like they did in 1998-2000. Now granted of the 250 in my grade in 1999, about 40 actually came to school that day. But with 7,500 tickets "sold" for each game it does help the bottom line for the tournament.

Shootmaster_44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:39 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreddtFoyle View Post
Not sure why there is any confusion about the makeup of the pools and how seeding works.

The CIS regs are quite clear: The three conference winners are seeded 1, 2, 3 by the last Top 10 ranking. #1 seed is in one pool, #2 and #3 are in other. Hard and fast rule.

Since Alberta is unlikely to lose their #1 ranking, they'll be in one pool and the OUA and AUS winner will be in the other and they'll get the #2 and #3 seeding dependent on their ranking. Since teams from the same conference have to be separated (per CIS regs), we know that the AUS runner-up and OUA runner-up will be with Alberta while Saskatchewan will be with the AUS and OUA winners.

Since Sask as host gets to choose evening or afternoon, they'll take evenings like every host does. That means the AUS and OUA winners will also be playing in the evening. So of course Alberta and the other two teams are in the afternoon.

The CIS regs state that normally the top seeds in each pool will play the lowest seed in each pool on the first day. I guess this was designed to give the higher seed Friday off if they win Thursday, and thus avoid playing three games in three days. So we know Alberta is playing Thursday afternoon for sure, versus the lower seeded team between the AUS and OUA runner-ups (this the host committee can play with a bit, but they should look at rankings).

The evening pool is a little more interesting since the host team has the option of starting playing Thursday or Friday night. Sask says they're playing Thursday. If they follow the regs, that would mean they'd play the higher seed between the AUS winner and OUA winner.
Thanks for the clarification.

Sadly, unless playing at 10 PM Atlantic effects them, I have tickets for a non-Huskies game. I bought a pair for the Saturday night game assuming that the Huskies would likely be playing. I have a suspicion unless for some reason the schedule has the Huskies against the OUA first, it will likely see the Dogs lose. Then again, with Canada West being done already and the AUS still playing, the rest might help. Of course I am assuming that the final will be Alberta vs. UNB.

I've often wondered why the schedule can't simply be made ahead of time like the Memorial Cup is? If the Huskies are taking the late games, it would be simple since I believe it is a rule where both teams from a single conference can't be in the same pool. Instead of having a winner get a day off and the loser playing two in a row, you simply figure out the schedule.

Thursday: 1 PM Canada West vs. OUA
7 PM OUA vs. AUS

Friday: 1 PM OUA vs. AUS
7 PM Huskies (Host) vs. OUA

Saturday: 1 PM Canada West vs. AUS
8 PM Huskies (Host) vs. AUS

Sunday: Final

For a building like Credit Union Centre which won't likely sell out, this would help fans figure out which games they want to see. It also helps the out of town fans like our UNB contingent figure out which games they need to attend.

Honestly, this could always be the schedule and the seedings only matter as far as pool grouping goes. I'm just not a fan of using something arbitrary to schedule things. Then again, I guess it is hard to do it any other way. What makes me curious is why they put two conference champions in the same pool? Wouldn't it make sense to have all the odds in one pool and all the evens in the other?

Old
03-08-2013, 12:37 PM
AdamMcg83

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification.

Sadly, unless playing at 10 PM Atlantic effects them, I have tickets for a non-Huskies game. I bought a pair for the Saturday night game assuming that the Huskies would likely be playing. I have a suspicion unless for some reason the schedule has the Huskies against the OUA first, it will likely see the Dogs lose. Then again, with Canada West being done already and the AUS still playing, the rest might help. Of course I am assuming that the final will be Alberta vs. UNB.

I've often wondered why the schedule can't simply be made ahead of time like the Memorial Cup is? If the Huskies are taking the late games, it would be simple since I believe it is a rule where both teams from a single conference can't be in the same pool. Instead of having a winner get a day off and the loser playing two in a row, you simply figure out the schedule.

Thursday: 1 PM Canada West vs. OUA
7 PM OUA vs. AUS

Friday: 1 PM OUA vs. AUS
7 PM Huskies (Host) vs. OUA

Saturday: 1 PM Canada West vs. AUS
8 PM Huskies (Host) vs. AUS

Sunday: Final

For a building like Credit Union Centre which won't likely sell out, this would help fans figure out which games they want to see. It also helps the out of town fans like our UNB contingent figure out which games they need to attend.

Honestly, this could always be the schedule and the seedings only matter as far as pool grouping goes. I'm just not a fan of using something arbitrary to schedule things. Then again, I guess it is hard to do it any other way. What makes me curious is why they put two conference champions in the same pool? Wouldn't it make sense to have all the odds in one pool and all the evens in the other?
I think the idea is to make this a defacto elimination tournament. If the higher seed wins every game, then 1 plays 4 on one "semifinal" on saturday, while 2 plays 3. If pools were split odd/even, #2 seed has a way easier road to the final (through #4 and #6) than the #1 seed (through #3 and #5).

AdamMcg83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:48 PM
RED ARMY EAST

University cup

Now that the AUS has been settled and assuming Alberta is ranked#1
We should see Alberta vs the OUA runner up (Waterloo or UQTR) in the afternoon game on Thursday.
The night should be #2 UNB vs Saskatchewan, assuming that the Huskies have definitely chosen to open the Tournament on the opening night. If they get the OUA team instead of UNB, than I would be protesting all the way if I were UNB!
The #1 and#2 seeds are supposed to open on the first day of the tourney, in separate pools.

RED ARMY EAST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:45 PM
AUS Fan

There will be a Conference Call on Monday to sort all that out, but I agree with you on the 1st two games for sure. That will put SMU in a Saturday game against UofA.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:01 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED ARMY EAST View Post
Now that the AUS has been settled and assuming Alberta is ranked#1
We should see Alberta vs the OUA runner up (Waterloo or UQTR) in the afternoon game on Thursday.
The night should be #2 UNB vs Saskatchewan, assuming that the Huskies have definitely chosen to open the Tournament on the opening night. If they get the OUA team instead of UNB, than I would be protesting all the way if I were UNB!
The #1 and#2 seeds are supposed to open on the first day of the tourney, in separate pools.
The Dogs have chosen to open Thursday as they were selling tickets that way. Here's hoping for jet lag for UNB and the Dogs win, so they play Saturday night when I have tickets.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:03 PM
Shootmaster_44

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUS Fan View Post
There will be a Conference Call on Monday to sort all that out, but I agree with you on the 1st two games for sure. That will put SMU in a Saturday game against UofA.
That's assuming the Bears win. Likely not an issue, but you never know. A few lucky bounces and Waterloo/UQTR knock them off.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:09 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

I think UNB is going out on Monday...should be enough time to adjust I would hope. If not I am sure playing in front of 10 000+ fans will help them get into the swing of things.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:11 PM
UNB Bruins Fan

Quote:
That's assuming the Bears win. Likely not an issue, but you never know. A few lucky bounces and Waterloo/UQTR knock them off.
Alberta hasn't had the best luck with afternoon games at the UCup the last little while IIRC. They lost both here in 2011 (against X and McGill).

Old
03-08-2013, 04:23 PM
RED ARMY EAST

Quote:
In Lakehead, didn't the bears come from behind against UQTR in the round robin.
UQTR, shouldn't be overlooked. They played some AUS teams pretty hard in an exhibition swing early in pre-season. They could shock someone.

RED ARMY EAST is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 05:16 AM
cishockeyfan

Quote:
The Dogs have chosen to open Thursday as they were selling tickets that way. Here's hoping for jet lag for UNB and the Dogs win, so they play Saturday night when I have tickets.
The only leg that suffered from UNB's last trip out west was Ben Shutrons, otherwise UNB hoped off the plane for 3 exhibition games and spanked the Dinos and Bears, 10-1, 6-2 and 6-0. Arriving early on Monday will not be an issue

cishockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 02:55 PM
AUS Fan

re: CIS Awards. My predictions, based on nothing but guessing.

MOST VALUABLE PLAYER: CW - Blair Macaulay, Manitoba
ROOKIE OF THE YEAR: OUA-E - Mitch Porowski, Carleton
DEFENCEMAN OF THE YEAR: AUS - Michael D'Orazio, Saint Mary's
GOALTENDER OF THE YEAR: CW - Kurtis Mucha, Alberta
COACH OF THE YEAR: OUA-W - Greg Puhalski, Laurier
MOST SPORTSMANLIKE PLAYER: AUS - Chris Culligan, UNB
STUDENT-ATHLETE AND COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARD: OUA-E - Riley Whitlock, Queen's

Old
03-09-2013, 02:56 PM
AUS Fan

If 'Foyle shows up, text me, please.......

Old
03-09-2013, 06:30 PM
Nick Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post

All 7 games of the tournament will be live on CHSR 97.9FM, and chsrfm.ca (also on Rogers digital ch. 946 in NB).

Nick Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-09-2013, 09:16 PM
FreddtFoyle

Well with UQTR's 4-1 win over Waterloo in the 102nd Queen's Cup, we've got our University Cup pools filled out. OUA winner UQTR will most likely be with AUS winner UNB in the evening pool with Saskatchewan. Alberta will most likely hold onto their #1 ranking and get the #1 seed, and will then have conference runner-ups Saint Mary's and Waterloo in the afternoon pool. Warriors will most likely be seeded below SMU based on the rankings up til now, so they get the dubious honour of opening the University Cup against Alberta on Thursday afternoon.

FreddtFoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:21 AM
UNB Bruins Fan

So when should we see the final rankings?