HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

David Booth - All The Tools....No Toolbox

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 03:32 PM
Wizeman*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Optimist View Post
Booth is a beast. He skates fast, hits hard, protects the puck well and drives the net. I wish we had a Booth type on every line.
I agree but he needs to learn how to pass at an NHL level . If he does this the defense has to change and makes him a far more dangerous player.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:52 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verviticus View Post
can you go back and read the other stuff i posted about how looking at a single assist over seven games is an awful way (implied) to judge him as a player please? thanks
What's the point? They're just excuses. David Booth is not paid $4.25M to skate fast. He's expected to produce. And the fact that he's playing in the bottom-six is an indication that the coach does not exactly have a high degree of confidence in him, it's not an explanation for him not generating offense.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:54 PM
pitseleh

If David Booth could pass, he'd be a $6+ million dollar first line forward.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:04 PM
B-rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
Um, OK.

Not sure what your point is, but David Booth has now played 7 games and he's gotten 1 assist. All the while consuming $4.25M of our cap. Those are facts.

It was pretty clearly a bad trade when it happened, and to think that we've got him under contract at that number for the next two seasons, as well, is pretty depressing.
Objectively speaking? No, it wasn't. To you I suppose, but you don't speak for me, or any of the other people that don't share your opinion -which by the looks of this thread is quite a few.

Booth absolutely has his shortcomings, but he's a good player to have in your top 6 because of all of the reasons others have mentioned in this thread. Namely he drives to the net and the puck ends up in the right end of the rink when he's on the ice.

7 games is a pretty ridiculous sample size to be basing your prognostications on. He could get a couple assists next game and a couple more points after that and be up to the same pace .5-.6 ppg pace he usually checks in at. Consider that he also just came back from injury and his timing is off.

People think that top 6 players just grow on trees and other GM's are chomping at the bit to get rid of them. Trading Samuelsson and Sturm for a guy who has put up a consistent amount of points, is big, fast, fearless, and hits, is hardly something to get upset about. I recall he started off last season with the same number of points per game. He's getting chances they'll start to go in.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
What's the point? They're just excuses.
reasons arent excuses. im sorry you're incapable of understanding them

when you understand, let me know

Old
03-07-2013, 04:25 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-rock View Post
Objectively speaking? No, it wasn't. To you I suppose, but you don't speak for me, or any of the other people that don't share your opinion -which by the looks of this thread is quite a few.

Booth absolutely has his shortcomings, but he's a good player to have in your top 6 because of all of the reasons others have mentioned in this thread. Namely he drives to the net and the puck ends up in the right end of the rink when he's on the ice.

7 games is a pretty ridiculous sample size to be basing your prognostications on. He could get a couple assists next game and a couple more points after that and be up to the same pace .5-.6 ppg pace he usually checks in at. Consider that he also just came back from injury and his timing is off.

People think that top 6 players just grow on trees and other GM's are chomping at the bit to get rid of them. Trading Samuelsson and Sturm for a guy who has put up a consistent amount of points, is big, fast, fearless, and hits, is hardly something to get upset about. I recall he started off last season with the same number of points per game. He's getting chances they'll start to go in.
In the cap age, people need to be compared to their cap hit. Booth at $4.25M is simply clearly not good value, which is confirmed by the fact that all we had to give up to get him for a couple of vets on expiring contracts - by definition, and from Florida's perspective, David Booth was a cap dump.

He was invisible for the majority of time last season, playoffs included. Not a lot got done. No chemistry with Kesler. Had a good week or two prior to getting injured, but he was far from remarkable.

And I really don't care whether he's big or fearless if he doesn't produce. What are your thoughts on Jay Bouwmeester? He's always on the ice, never misses a game, is one of the best skaters in the entire league, is 6'4", etc. And oh yeah, he's never played a playoff game in his life.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
In the cap age, people need to be compared to their cap hit. Booth at $4.25M is simply clearly not good value, which is confirmed by the fact that all we had to give up to get him for a couple of vets on expiring contracts - by definition, and from Florida's perspective, David Booth was a cap dump.
so was ehrhoff. cap dump. glad we got rid of that freeloading waste of cap space! oh wait

Quote:
And oh yeah, he's never played a playoff game in his life.
lol if you think a single player is equated to a winning team

Old
03-07-2013, 04:45 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
lol if you think a single player is equated to a winning team
actually, that would explain a whole hell of a lot of your opinions

Old
03-07-2013, 04:58 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
so was ehrhoff. cap dump. glad we got rid of that freeloading waste of cap space! oh wait
Not exactly. SJ got Patrick White and Daniel Rahimi for him, the former of 1st round pedigree and the latter of 3rd.

Not quite Mikael Samuelsson and Marco Sturm on expiring contracts.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Not exactly. SJ got Patrick White and Daniel Rahimi for him, the former of 1st round pedigree and the latter of 3rd.

Patrick White was a bust (as much of a bust as you could find in the history of the NHL) and acquired only to get the compensation in a form of a 2nd round pick for an unsigned college 1st round draft pick. Rahimi was just us getting rid of a contract.

Ehrhoff was traded for a 2nd and an extra contract. If that's not a cap dump, I don't know what is.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:01 PM
arsmaster

Quote:

Really?

Every one and their dog knew exactly what Patrick White and Daniel Rahimi were. White was selected in the 1st round, but at no point in his development was he valued as such, he was a 3rd liner in college and Rahimi was a contract that Vancouver had to clear, he had ZERO NHL potential.

Essentially we got Christian Ehrhoff for a 2nd.

^^^^^

Tiranis beat me.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:10 PM
The Poacher

People are being to hard on Booth here. He has never really had the time to fit in with his team mates or a system since he's been injured the majority of time while in a Canucks uniform. Give him some time, he's coming of an injury and has been improving on the ice lately. He brings a part of the game no on one the Canucks does except for Kesler when he's on his game. Drives the net hard and create chances with his speed. Get him chemistry with a center and he can be a very valuable peice for this team.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:17 PM
Wizeman*

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
If David Booth could pass, he'd be a $6+ million dollar first line forward.
this is ambitions but I understand the logic. He would not be a fan GOAT if he could pass. He would definitely be an excellent addition to the Kesler line.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:18 PM
Wizeman*

*oops, meant 'ambitious' .

Old
03-07-2013, 05:30 PM
GJB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Except for the "Possession Lost" part. The puck is rarely not on our stick when Booth is on the ice.
He turns the puck over after most of his shots, he has one play and I just described it.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:34 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Patrick White was a bust (as much of a bust as you could find in the history of the NHL) and acquired only to get the compensation in a form of a 2nd round pick for an unsigned college 1st round draft pick. Rahimi was just us getting rid of a contract.

Ehrhoff was traded for a 2nd and an extra contract. If that's not a cap dump, I don't know what is.
Patrick White was 20 years old when he was traded to San Jose; 2 years removed from being a 1st round NHL draft pick. Encouraging signs may not have been there, but to call him a bust at the age of 20 is pretty ridiculous. Daniel Rahimi, as well, was 22 and 3 years removed from being a 3rd round NHL draft pick. And I even forgot about the 2nd round pick that we gave him.

Are you prepared to call guys like Anton Rodin, Yann Sauve, etc., busts?

Anyway, point is that if you're comparing this as a cap dump to what we gave up for David Booth - 35 year-old Mikael Samuelsson and 33 year-old Marco Sturm on expiring contracts - it's really not even close.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:41 PM
Reverend Mayhem
Freeway's closed man

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
I guess by that logic Patrik Stefan is the best player of the 1999 NHL Entry Draft. You might produce some semblance of logic in your argument if Patrick White had progressed at all since then but he hasn't. He was a questionable pick when we picked him (to put it mildly), he was a waste of a contract when he was here, and he hasn't done much since (again putting it mildly). Daniel Rahimi was a prospect nobody expected to make it past the AHL and he hasn't. As little a chance a late 1st rounder has to make the big time, it's even less for a 3rd round pick. A spade was a spade and still is a spade. What's not to understand?

Old
03-07-2013, 05:45 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Patrick White was 20 years old when he was traded to San Jose; 2 years removed from being a 1st round NHL draft pick. Encouraging signs may not have been there, but to call him a bust at the age of 20 is pretty ridiculous. Daniel Rahimi, as well, was 22 and 3 years removed from being a 3rd round NHL draft pick. And I even forgot about the 2nd round pick that we gave him.

Are you prepared to call guys like Anton Rodin, Yann Sauve, etc., busts?

Anyway, point is that if you're comparing this as a cap dump to what we gave up for David Booth - 35 year-old Mikael Samuelsson and 33 year-old Marco Sturm on expiring contracts - it's really not even close.
Pretty damn close, and they're better now than White or Rahimi ever were.

Who cares where they were drafted. Rahimi and White were busts, San Jose knew that.

It's why San Jose never tried to do anything to further Rahimi's career, and why they never offered White a contract. They viewed the 2nd round pick over that.

Rahimi was an expiring contract.

It's pretty damn similar, but since you're going to bat for the potential of White and Rahimi, I believe I know enough about your knowledge going foward. Good day and godspeed.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:53 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I guess by that logic Patrik Stefan is the best player of the 1999 NHL Entry Draft. You might produce some semblance of logic in your argument if Patrick White had progressed at all since then but he hasn't. He was a questionable pick when we picked him (to put it mildly), he was a waste of a contract when he was here, and he hasn't done much since (again putting it mildly). Daniel Rahimi was a prospect nobody expected to make it past the AHL and he hasn't. As little a chance a late 1st rounder has to make the big time, it's even less for a 3rd round pick. A spade was a spade and still is a spade. What's not to understand?
Schroeder hadn't progressed at all since we drafted him, either. 72 points in 137 AHL games is not exactly thrilling for a guy who's 5'3" and heralded as a point producer. Even this year, in the AHL, in what would've been his third full season, 19 points in 30 games? That's progression?

Rahimi was a 3rd round pick - what do you mean nobody expected him to make it past the AHL? I guess that might explain the Canucks' drafting record, somewhat, but 3rd round picks aren't supposed to be rolls of the dice.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:55 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Who cares where they were drafted. Rahimi and White were busts, San Jose knew that.

It's why San Jose never tried to do anything to further Rahimi's career, and why they never offered White a contract. They viewed the 2nd round pick over that.
Either way, my point is that the context of the Ehrhoff cap dump is not at all comparable to the Booth cap dump.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:55 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
hes been scoring at a rate commensurate with "good top six winger" for the entire time he's been here, last 5 games notwithstanding.
The entire time he's been here except when it mattered in the playoffs. This team is judged by what they do in the post-season and David Booth provided absolutely no secondary scoring to speak of.

If Booth has another playoff like the last one will you still claim he's an excellent addition to this team at that salary?

Old
03-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Fat Tony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend Mayhem View Post
I guess by that logic Patrik Stefan is the best player of the 1999 NHL Entry Draft.
Burke exacted a promise from ATL that they would not draft either of the Sedins.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:59 PM
professorchaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Promethesis View Post
I would argue that Hansen is the more complete player. Hansen is probably one of the most underrated playmakers/passers on the team. He may not shoot well, but his passes are usually good, coupled with his tenacious forecheck and speed, and defensive awareness. Booth doesn't always compete in the defensive zone, and doesn't have the vision that Hansen does. The only way that they are similar in my opinion is their speed, that's about it.
Oh I don't disagree. I do think Hansen is the more complete player, only for the role he plays as a third line checking forward. As solid as a player that Hansen is, he does not have Booth's offensive awareness and scoring touch (it isn't currently apparent, but it's there). I think they play a similar style in that they both have speed, they both drive the net, and they both have surprisingly hard shots.

What I believe Booth lacks is a Chris Higgins to complement his game. Hansen and Higgins play so well off of eachother, we get see the offensive talent both players have that we don't so easily notice when they are paired with others. Chemistry is huge and when it's found, it can elevate otherwise unremarkable players and have them produce seemingly beyond their capabilities. Booth obviously has the talent to finish, he just needs the right complement to his skillset.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
The entire time he's been here except when it mattered in the playoffs. This team is judged by what they do in the post-season and David Booth provided absolutely no secondary scoring to speak of.

If Booth has another playoff like the last one will you still claim he's an excellent addition to this team at that salary?
i have no idea why booth gets singled out for his first nhl playoff performance when the canucks got schooled in 5 games by a team that was starting a one-in-a-lifetime run

the canucks as a team scored a measly 8 goals in 5 games against los angelas, with 2 each from h. sedin and edler...the entire secondary scoring unit of the canucks dried up, not just booth

Old
03-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
i have no idea why booth gets singled out for his first nhl playoff performance when the canucks got schooled in 5 games by a team that was starting a one-in-a-lifetime run
He doesn't. This is a thread about David Booth, not our lack of scoring. Besides, Daniel was out of the lineup and Kesler was playing badly hurt. That's when you want your other highest paid forwards to step up and provide some offense. Booth didn't do it and criticism is warranted.

The guy has what, 5 points in his last 30 games? He's more than fair game.

Closed Thread