HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

New Conference Discussion (Realignment Approved, Detroit and Columbus Leaving)

Old
03-03-2013, 10:31 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Don't you think it is at least possible that the majority of people who watch the games would prefer it?

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:35 AM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
There is a reason Prime Time is 7-10 (8-11 in eastern time). People who work 9-5 aren't home in time for the start of a 6pm game. No, a majority of people would NOT. People want to get home, get changed, have dinner, and then sit down and watch the game. Not feel rushed into getting home for the start.

IU Hawks fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:44 AM
coldsteelonice84

Yeah, I understand, I guess I am completely out of touch with the 9-5 thing. I don't think I've known anyone has had a job like that but it seems these are the conventional work hours.

Old
03-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Blue Liner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvr View Post
Look, I've lived in Michigan for almost 20 years, and have shared Wings season tickets every one of those. I'm in the huge minority on this board, but they're my second favorite team. I've watched the vast majority of their guys come through Grand Rapids over the years.

I don't recall us ever complaining about the Wings' pathetic years when they were know as the "Dead Wings" or "Dead Things". Every team goes through up and down cycles. Our owner had to leave this earth for the Hawks to improve. And certainly, reading the threads from both sides, the Wings fans do come here and troll way more than the other way around, always looking to discredit Hawks accomplishments, or denigrate the team or its players. An annoying fact. Regardless of whether you realize it, your post is more of the same.

While obviously you mean no harm, it's annoying that you come into this thread, which serves as a catharsis for our feelings, and tell us that it doesn't matter who we play our games against. You're looking at it from a Redwings fan perspective on a Hawks board. It's not just about the Wings, it's just that the Wings are the last team left in a continual chipping away that's left us with NO historical matchups for the huge majority of a season. The Wings are the Hawks last stand over the years of realignments.

It is important for the Hawks to keep some connection to the 5 and 11 other teams against whom they have played the greatest historical number of games. They are now on an island with really only the St. Louis Blues as an important rival in the new alignment. From my standpoint, being a relative old-timer in these parts, that sucks. I have to say, I don't care about any of the west coast teams, am intrigued a bit about the Avalanche (mostly because of their full-on tilts against the Wings), and am conflicted about the Stars/Wild. That's it.

The teens and 20-somethings here might not care because they know nothing else, but I do. I'd love to hate the Rangers again for a reason besides them being a New York team. I used to really dislike Ratelle, Hadfield, Gilbert, Park, Giacomin et al. Still hate the Canadiens, but even that's fading. Nothing is left. It will take 20 years for me to care about San Jose, Winnipeg, Phoenix/whoever, etc...

There are a bunch of realignment options on Hockey Prospectus that I gave links to earlier in this thread. From my standpoint, 30 options easily would have been better than this one.
That's the one thing that bugs me a bit. Be it realignment and/or relocation over the past couple decades the Hawks have lost Toronto, the North Stars, and now Detroit. I know new rivalries do get spawned like with Vancouver and the potential would be there with the Wild but losing these decades-long ones sucks.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:44 PM
Hawkaholic

PA approves re-alignment.

Hawkaholic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:46 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

i guess we can look forward to the hawks playing many boring games next year...and perhaps forever.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:54 PM
TwistedWrister90

Maybe if Rocky whines as much as Detroit and Columbus did, we can move to the East one day too.

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
Maybe if Rocky whines as much as Detroit and Columbus did, we can move to the East one day too.
Too many teams rely on Chicago coming to town to move another original 6 team. Never going to happen.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:01 PM
TwistedWrister90

Ha I know, I was joking.

TwistedWrister90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:13 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
Ha I know, I was joking.
Ya I didn't see the sarcasm until after I posted it.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:03 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Well, at least we can look forward to making the playoffs every year for the foreseeable future. What a weak division we're in.

MTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:16 PM
Minowaman

I really hate this re-alignment. Detroit games are the ones I look forward to the most and those are mostly gone now. Ugh...

Regular season is going to be boring.

Minowaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:33 PM
ObeyMashinter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
i guess we can look forward to the hawks playing many boring games next year...and perhaps forever.
Yep Lehtonen, Halak, Pavelec, Backstrom, Rinne and Varlamov. We could get stonewalled alot next year. Why the heck would Colorado be in our new division anyway. Id rather have Edmonton or Calgary.

ObeyMashinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:35 PM
madgoat33

God nhl is completely blowing this realignment

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeyBollig View Post
Yep Lehtonen, Halak, Pavelec, Backstrom, Rinne and Varlamov. We could get stonewalled alot next year. Why the heck would Colorado be in our new division anyway. Id rather have Edmonton or Calgary.
Probably because Colorado is just a teeny, teeny bit closer to Chicago than Alberta is

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:50 PM
OldTime13
Rookie User

This is not about travel or anything like that this is all about TV and a course that means money. Travel isnít the main reason the Red Wings want to move east it is because it is better for TV ratings because most of their games will be in eastern time zones so that means 7-to-7:30 starts. As has been pointed out the Hawks, Nashville or Dallas or about all the teams in the West have to travel way more than the East and this new alignment doesnít really change that at all.

All you have to do is look at NBC national games, games on NBCSN or the NHL network and they are mostly games with Eastern teams. I mean take a look at the Winter Classic it has featured (by this future alignment and including next year) one Western team, which hosted the only Western WC, and eight Eastern team.

Does anyone in the east suffer a course not, Pittsburgh get Washington in their division, the Rangers donít lose any of their NY/Philly rivals and Boston, Montreal and Toronto keep each other and get Detroit. A course the Blackhawks get screwed, but the league doesnít care because a lot of those two games we get with the east will be on national TV. If the Blackhawks are hosting letís say Boston the league will just move the local start time to 7pm, just like they did Tuesday night. The Hawks are probably the only team in the West the league office cares about, but that is because they are good for ratings and with this realignment the league will get more Hawks vs. Eastern Conference which is good for the bottom line.

Oh, as for expansion they are going to have a problem down the line because I suspect that the two expansion teams will be in the east. This maybe the last expansion the league does for a longtime, so they are going to want to extort the most money they can and potential owners of a southern Ontario or Quebec franchise will be more willing to pony up the cash. If Seattle or Kansas City gets a team it will be relocation not expansion.

In the end this is just a BJ for the eastern teams because the league office only really cares about the big eastern clubs, who cares about the west no one out east watches their game anyway.

OldTime13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:16 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
Too many teams rely on Chicago coming to town to move another original 6 team. Never going to happen.
Well.... people were saying the same thing about Detroit just a few weeks ago....

But yeah, probably not going to happen. Sucks that Detroit's gone, but I just look at it from the simple perspective that we're going to be in likely a relatively easy division for the next couple years, so that ain't bad.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Well.... people were saying the same thing about Detroit just a few weeks ago....

But yeah, probably not going to happen. Sucks that Detroit's gone, but I just look at it from the simple perspective that we're going to be in likely a relatively easy division for the next couple years, so that ain't bad.
Out of DET/CHI, moving one is pushing it, moving two is toxic.

I'm not happy about the goalies we'll have to face, but for now they dont have very good teams in front of them.

Looks like Ladd and Buff will becoming home more often.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:11 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTime13 View Post
This is not about travel or anything like that this is all about TV and a course that means money. Travel isnít the main reason the Red Wings want to move east it is because it is better for TV ratings because most of their games will be in eastern time zones so that means 7-to-7:30 starts. As has been pointed out the Hawks, Nashville or Dallas or about all the teams in the West have to travel way more than the East and this new alignment doesnít really change that at all.

All you have to do is look at NBC national games, games on NBCSN or the NHL network and they are mostly games with Eastern teams. I mean take a look at the Winter Classic it has featured (by this future alignment and including next year) one Western team, which hosted the only Western WC, and eight Eastern team.

Does anyone in the east suffer a course not, Pittsburgh get Washington in their division, the Rangers donít lose any of their NY/Philly rivals and Boston, Montreal and Toronto keep each other and get Detroit. A course the Blackhawks get screwed, but the league doesnít care because a lot of those two games we get with the east will be on national TV. If the Blackhawks are hosting letís say Boston the league will just move the local start time to 7pm, just like they did Tuesday night. The Hawks are probably the only team in the West the league office cares about, but that is because they are good for ratings and with this realignment the league will get more Hawks vs. Eastern Conference which is good for the bottom line.

Oh, as for expansion they are going to have a problem down the line because I suspect that the two expansion teams will be in the east. This maybe the last expansion the league does for a longtime, so they are going to want to extort the most money they can and potential owners of a southern Ontario or Quebec franchise will be more willing to pony up the cash. If Seattle or Kansas City gets a team it will be relocation not expansion.

In the end this is just a BJ for the eastern teams because the league office only really cares about the big eastern clubs, who cares about the west no one out east watches their game anyway.
Pretty much this. The Hawks get jobbed big time with the realignment.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:45 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I wonder if we start to hate Buff and/or Ladd when we play in the POs against them...

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:26 AM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I wonder if we start to hate Buff and/or Ladd when we play in the POs against them...
We'll find out in 3+ years.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:06 AM
coldsteelonice84

Lehtonen, Halak, Rinne, Backstrom/Hackett, these teams will all build defensive teams around their goaltending. Those wins are hard to get. Obviously they can do it but I don't prefer that brand of hockey.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:10 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I don't think I could bring myself to hating Buff. Every time I see him I think of the terror he was on in the 2010 Cup run.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 05:37 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

well, Ūf we win a cup before that, it would be easier to hate him. I think I could never end up hating Buff or Ladd

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 06:03 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Interesting, PA agrees to it but with an opt out clause after the 2014-15 season. Seems there might be some more moves yet to come.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote