HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NHL and NHLPA approve re-alignment

Old
03-07-2013, 05:59 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by BergyMeister View Post
Welcome back to the East!!
Thank you!

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:03 PM
chances14

vCash: 500
all these original 6 games means more $$$ for tickets.

good luck trying to get a ticket to a game against toronto at a decent price

chances14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:12 PM
Heaton
Holland = nomorecups

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Oh Thank God, I really thought this day would never come. I really think this has the chance to change Holland's philosophy (I hope!)

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:13 PM
WingedWheel1987

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WingedWheel1987 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:14 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

The Wings are back in the East, it's the dawn of a new era!

TheMoreYouKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:15 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Wings definitely needs to get tougher in the offseason now when they're going east, Tootoo was a nice start, needs more fighting power, grit and sandpaper in the lineup.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:20 PM
Emerica
Thank You Alfie

Welcome back to the East! Looking forward to playing you guys in the future.

Sens vs Wings. So many Swedes, never enough tho.

Emerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:23 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Oh Thank God, I really thought this day would never come. I really think this has the chance to change Holland's philosophy (I hope!)
No kidding, I expected the NHLPA to shoot it down for some petty reason, so I'm kinda giddy that it's been approved. So glad to see far fewer WC road trips and God-forsaken 10:00pm puck drops, and no more late night PO games unless we're in the Finals.

It'll be interesting to see Holland adapt to the EC, especially taking the Bruins as the team to beat in that division. We used to have the skill and lethal PP to be our answer to the rougher teams, but that's not the case any longer. I'm hoping he brings in a little top 6 grit.

Brick Top is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:25 PM
Bench
#notmyroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Wings definitely needs to get tougher in the offseason now when they're going east, Tootoo was a nice start, needs more fighting power, grit and sandpaper in the lineup.
Why is this mentality sprinkled throughout this thread? Western teams have done very well against the East. So much so, NHL.com did an article about it before this season.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=649916

Quote:
As a conference, the West had 11 teams that were .500 or better against the East. Even the Oilers, the NHL's 29th place team last season, earned 19 of 36 possible points against the East.

The West has held the edge against the East during the NHL's regular season since '05-06, although last season the West earned 313 interconference points compared to the East's 305, the smallest that gap has been during that time.

But those extra points the West has come to enjoy will be non-existent this season.

Taking the East last season out of the mix bumps the Flames into a playoff spot and knocks out the Sharks. The Flames went 6-7-5 against the East last season while the Sharks rolled to a 12-5-1 mark, resulting in the only change in postseason berths.

The Blues shredded the East last season with a 14-2-2 record. With those games removed, the Blues went from Presidents' Trophy contenders and the No. 2 seed to a team that lacks home-ice advantage in the playoffs. The Predators will be hard-pressed to match last season's 40 wins in the West without Ryan Suter, but they have been in the West's top eight in intraconference play every year since '05-06, including in '09 when they missed the postseason.

The lack of interconference games shouldn't have a major effect on the NHL landscape, but it may have a more profound effect on the West.

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:30 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench View Post
Why is this mentality sprinkled throughout this thread? Western teams have done very well against the East. So much so, NHL.com did an article about it before this season.
It's not the same when you're not divisional rivals, playing boston and toronto once a year won't bring those really tough physical games since it's inter-conference play and the points "aren't as important".

When Bruins now know Detroit is in their division they will be really really tough on all wings players including lucic doing damage on datsyuk, zetterberg etc

Old
03-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Bench
#notmyroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
It's not the same when you're not divisional rivals, playing boston and toronto once a year won't bring those really tough physical games since it's inter-conference play and the points "aren't as important".

When Bruins now know Detroit is in their division they will be really really tough on all wings players including lucic doing damage on datsyuk, zetterberg etc
Fair enough, but I think it's being overstated dramatically. This might have been more pressing during the dead puck era when guys like Hatcher actually had a place in the NHL.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:36 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=649916
I think it's going to be more of a cumulative effect on the Wings- I think the East is generally a tougher style of play and right now Detroit doesn't have the "we're far more skilled than you" card to play against those teams. And yes, I do feel somewhat uncomfortable agreeing with mindfly's basic premise here

Old
03-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Bench
#notmyroof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
I think it's going to be more of a cumulative effect on the Wings- I think the East is generally a tougher style of play and right now Detroit doesn't have the "we're far more skilled than you" card to play against those teams. And yes, I do feel somewhat uncomfortable agreeing with mindfly's basic premise here
I guess I don't consider any of the key players to NJ or NYR, the conference finalists, all that rough and tumble.

Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Elias, Parise, B. Richards, Henrique...

Wasn't the knock on Gaborik his health going to New York? Well he's been very healthy and scoring as much as ever.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:48 PM
Stats01

vCash: 580
Leaf fan here, just wanted to say Welcome back to the East! can't wait to play you guys more often and get the rivalry really flowing again.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:50 PM
fimoknete

i like this move. all the entertaining player are in the east so far.
so we see all the tavares, stamkos, crosby, malkin, kovalchuk and ovechkin more often then before.
it doesn't mean that the player in the west are worse or something but the mentioned players are simply more fun to watch. and if the wings are playing a boring game because datsyuk is not doing his datsukian deeks and the rest of our team is boring as hell we can at least have fun with the opponents entertaining squad.

fimoknete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:52 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Leaf fan here, just wanted to say Welcome back to the East! can't wait to play you guys more often and get the rivalry really flowing again.
Orr and Maclaren will be tough to handle I got to admit.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:59 PM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

vCash: 50
Welcome back to the East! Excited to see the Wings on a regular basis.

Neil Patrick Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:03 PM
Kronwalled55
Eatin' your hats

Now I have to start hating the teams that I kind of liked. Toronto, Florida, Tampa, Boston, etc.

Game on.

Kronwalled55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Henkka

Absolutely fantastic. Couldn't imagine better division.

And we will beat those damn Hawks at 2014 SC finals.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:06 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronwalled55 View Post
Now I have to start hating the teams that I kind of liked. Toronto, Florida, Tampa, Boston, etc.

Game on.
Bye bye Hawks. Hello Boston. Oh I hate you so.

Vladdy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:08 PM
The Zetterberg Era
RIP Octopi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladdy84 View Post
Bye bye Hawks. Hello Boston. Oh I hate you so.
Yeah hating Boston will come quickly I have a feeling. My hate for the Leafs has never left as I am an older fan and they were always our #1 rival for me.

The Zetterberg Era is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Brick Top
eeeehhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
I guess I don't consider any of the key players to NJ or NYR, the conference finalists, all that rough and tumble.

Gaborik, Kovalchuk, Elias, Parise, B. Richards, Henrique...

Wasn't the knock on Gaborik his health going to New York? Well he's been very healthy and scoring as much as ever.
Those guys you listed... yeah, not the tough guys in the league. But there are plenty of guys who just play a more physical style that we would see regularly. IMO, even after the Tootoo signing I'll bet those EC teams would say that playing the Wings is far easier in the physicality dept than playing teams like the Bruins.

Gaborik has also had some guys willing to stick up for him if he was "given the business" or nailed with a cheap shot, and until we picked up Tootoo, we haven't had that guy in years (and Tootoo gets little IT and never sees the guys who play against Z and D, so I'm not sure it matters as much with him). Callahan and Dubinsky (until he got traded) were primarily top 6 guys who can handle their own in the middleweight division (love both of those guys), and they had Prust on the bottom 6 until this season.

It has irked me quite a bit over the years to see Pavel or Hank be on the receiving end of a cheap shot or excessive post-whistle shenanigans and VERY rarely would anyone step in and even try to break it up, let alone challenge the other team's player. I'd love to see that change, but looking at our roster now and kids on the way up, that doesn't seem to be in the cards barring a trade or FA move.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brick Top View Post
Those guys you listed... yeah, not the tough guys in the league. But there are plenty of guys who just play a more physical style that we would see regularly. IMO, even after the Tootoo signing I'll bet those EC teams would say that playing the Wings is far easier in the physicality dept than playing teams like the Bruins.

Gaborik has also had some guys willing to stick up for him if he was "given the business" or nailed with a cheap shot, and until we picked up Tootoo, we haven't had that guy in years (and Tootoo gets little IT and never sees the guys who play against Z and D, so I'm not sure it matters as much with him). Callahan and Dubinsky (until he got traded) were primarily top 6 guys who can handle their own in the middleweight division (love both of those guys), and they had Prust on the bottom 6 until this season.

It has irked me quite a bit over the years to see Pavel or Hank be on the receiving end of a cheap shot or excessive post-whistle shenanigans and VERY rarely would anyone step in and even try to break it up, let alone challenge the other team's player. I'd love to see that change, but looking at our roster now and kids on the way up, that doesn't seem to be in the cards barring a trade or FA move.
Gotta love when Pavel gets hit hard or cheap shotted. Cleary and Gator just look at each other.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:27 PM
Pilky01

We love you Detroit!

I want to beat you every time, but I am so happy to have you in the division. Can't wait to cheer on my Leafs across the border.

This division is amazing! Here's to many vicious, bitter, hateful playoff series to come!

Pilky01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:35 PM
Vladdy84
L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilky01 View Post
We love you Detroit!

I want to beat you every time, but I am so happy to have you in the division. Can't wait to cheer on my Leafs across the border.

This division is amazing! Here's to many vicious, bitter, hateful playoff series to come!
Love ya back Leeeeeeafs. Just wait till the Panthers move to Hamilton!