HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2013 NHL TV Ratings

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 09:22 AM
Gotta Catch Em Staal
All Aboard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
I can agree with this but I think it's a problem that's going to slowly evaporate. I can't think of many (if any) star players 15 years ago who were black. Now you're looking at Kane and Subban. Simmonds is having an exceptional year himself, and Ward is doing decent. Little Subban looks promising and I believe I've heard one time or another than the youngest might be the best of the three.

Add that to the fact that one of the likely top three draftees this year is black.

Obviously it's an issue, but I think as you see more black players come into the league and the league promote those players, you'll see the black audience start to tune in. And for the record, I think the NHL should've promoted the crap out of Kane back when they were in Atlanta.

However, also take into account the fact that Detroit is very highly populated by black people and still does very well financially and in local ratings.
I think it could be really awesome if this summer, Seth Jones, a black American hockey player and the son of an NBA player and coach, gets drafted first overall.

03-06-2013, 09:45 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotta Catch Em Staal View Post
I think it could be really awesome if this summer, Seth Jones, a black American hockey player and the son of an NBA player and coach, gets drafted first overall.
Black and from Texas. The Anti-Southern Expansion Group's collective head must be exploding.

Old
03-06-2013, 10:25 AM
Screw You Rick Nash
🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨

vCash: 3000
Quote:
It would've been even cooler if he was eligible to be drafted right before the Islanders move to Barclays Center and if they had the first overall pick.

-.+++++++++++++.-------.--.+++++++++++++.+.>+.>.

New and improved Hockey Standings
"A jimmie for a jimmie makes the whole world rustled." -31-
Old
03-06-2013, 11:14 AM
Teemu

http://www.csnchicago.com/article/cs...me-rating-date

Quote:
NEW RECORD: Last Night’s Blackhawks-Wild battle attracts 274,000 Households on Comcast SportsNet; Network #1 in Chicago market from 7:00 PM – 12:00 AM

RECORD STREAK: 18 of the Top 19 Highest-Rated Blackhawks regular season games in Network History have already occurred this season

1) 7.86 – Blackhawks vs. MIN (March 5, 2013)
2) 7.54 – Blackhawks at STL (February 28, 2013)
3) 7.41 – Blackhawks vs. VAN (February 19, 2013)
4) 6.60 – Blackhawks vs. EDM (February 25, 2013)
5) 6.59 – Blackhawks vs. SJ (February 22, 2013)

So far this season through 19 games, the Blackhawks on Comcast SportsNet are currently averaging a 5.69 household rating, an increase of 94% compared to last season through 19 telecasts. In addition, note the following demo increases in the following categories: Adults 18-49 (up 103%), Adults 25-54 (up 80%), Men 18-49 (up 112%) and Men 25-54 (up 89%).

Old
03-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Major4Boarding
Global Moderator
Private Equity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
it seems like we only get the same local tv ratings all the time. PIT, BOS, CHI, etc.... but what about other teams that we never see like CLB,CAR,NASH, LAK... i'd love to see those.. especially LAK. i'd love to see how the kings are faring in L.A after the cup. are they getting 3.2, or 2.0, or 1.3, or are they just as bad as prev yrs at 0.5???

I'd love to know how much they got 2 days ago when no sports were on at all.. and it was only game going on and Jeff Carter exploded with the hat trick.. or even yesterday when they came back late from 4-1 to win 6-4.. and the comeback started when Lakers game ended. If lakers are averaging just over 4 rating, if the kings are getting half of that 2+, it'd be awesome.. i really wish LA is tuning in to the kings cause they are really fun this yr with their late comebacks....but i doubt anyone there cares in LA.

but pls, if you know the local LA rating this yr, can you pls post it? or if anyone knows where to find it.. i can't find it anywhere. i don't know why it's so hard to get that in this day and age.
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/

http://www.sbnation.com/puck-the-media

USA Today

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/cat...ress-releases/

Google

Perhaps it's about time you start doing your own research, as most here don't have the time to specifically hunt for what you are consistantly looking for. The resident ratings posters will post something here, as it is the nature of this thread so you can always refer back here as a resource as well

Old
03-06-2013, 11:47 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teemu View Post
That's really crazy. The playoff numbers will be out of this world.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:44 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major4Boarding View Post
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/

http://www.sbnation.com/puck-the-media

USA Today

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/cat...ress-releases/

Google

Perhaps it's about time you start doing your own research, as most here don't have the time to specifically hunt for what you are consistantly looking for. The resident ratings posters will post something here, as it is the nature of this thread so you can always refer back here as a resource as well
sir/madam,

thanks for all those links but i clicked on all of them and each one only says the hawks great tv rating run and how nbc got 1.6 last weekend... etc.. etc.. always the same things on every site i go to when i searched google for nhl tv ratings..

i am looking only for the other teams tv ratings, like Nashville and especially LAKINGS. none of those links offered them. do you know where i can see how the kings are doing this yr?? thanks again for posting all those links.

Old
03-06-2013, 01:00 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

@ Nicky - you can try "Puck the Media" for some #s. Unless it's a record/good, local markets may not release 'em. Or contact the LA Kings themselves.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...rts/703069812/
Hawks set new record
Quote:
After winning their 10th straight game to set a franchise record, the Blackhawks (20-0-3) recorded another Chicago record by delivering the team's highest regular-season Comcast SportsNet rating ever with Wednesday night's 5-3 win against the Minnesota Wild.
The broadcast earned a 7.86 rating, attracting approximately 274,00 households in the Chicago market for the entire game. It also posted a 9.24 "peak" rating during the 10 p.m. quarter-hour (about 322,000 households tuning in). The 7.86 regular-season game ratings record broke the mark set on Feb. 28 for the game at St. Louis (7.54).

Old
03-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Nicky Santoro

thanks lady mod.. i've made like 20 searches on google looking for those ratings and all i ever get is blackhawks set record, nbc ratings up this yr big, and the top 10 viewed game on nbc this yr, etc etc... nothing ever pops up about other teams, always the same teams. i even have puckthemedia on my bookmarks and they might give 2-3 ratings a week of 1 specific game.

i don't know why in today's day and age with all the new technology we've come up with in computers, that they can't even tell us how the kings tv rating is this yr. if they can do it for every tv show/sitcom, whatever plays on nbc, cbs, fox, etc... why not hockey?. they can give you any rating on any show within 8 hrs after the show, but we can never find a hockey game, or nba game even.

i wish they'd treat it like they do american idol, or modern family or any late night talk show.. but to find a kings or preds local rating, impossible.

thanks for taking the time to help me.

Old
03-06-2013, 03:31 PM
Tough Guy

Quote:
I believe Jones is biracial.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:43 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Nicky...I'll try to track down some Kings and other mentioned teams either later tonight or tomorrow after work.

If anyone else has requests, do post them. Can't promise I'll get to them fast, but I'll get to them as soon as I have some spare time.

Old
03-06-2013, 05:45 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Nicky...I'll try to track down some Kings and other mentioned teams either later tonight or tomorrow after work.

If anyone else has requests, do post them. Can't promise I'll get to them fast, but I'll get to them as soon as I have some spare time.
thank you very much IU.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:05 AM
Swarez

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Dawg View Post
I believe Jones is biracial.
Didn't he also grow up in Toronto/Denver when his dad was playing pro ball in those cities? I remember hearing when in Denver he asked Joe Sakic to give him pointers.

He's not a typical southern kid.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:15 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarez99 View Post
Didn't he also grow up in Toronto/Denver when his dad was playing pro ball in those cities? I remember hearing when in Denver he asked Joe Sakic to give him pointers.

He's not a typical southern kid.
His mom is white.

He was born in Texas and I believe moved to Colorado when he was 9-ish. Got into hockey when the Avs were at the all-star level with Sakic being his favourite player. His dad talked to Sakic about hockey and Sakic gave him his skating coach. I believe Jones family house is in Texas, so it's hard to classify him as a Southern player, but to the casual fan he IS a player with basketball roots choosing hockey coming from Texas.

Anyone have the ratings for last night's rivalry game? I am curious on how well it did considering it was against a rebuilding club.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:59 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
He was born in Texas and I believe moved to Colorado when he was 9-ish. Got into hockey when the Avs were at the all-star level with Sakic being his favourite player. His dad talked to Sakic about hockey and Sakic gave him his skating coach. I believe Jones family house is in Texas, so it's hard to classify him as a Southern player, but to the casual fan he IS a player with basketball roots choosing hockey coming from Texas.
And he made that choice not because of tradition pushing him in that direction, but because as a young child he was in a position to closely follow a team in his local community. Specifically, a competitive team that had an admirable, relatable franchise player. His story is, in some ways, a validation of some of the arguments that underlie the 1970s and 1990s expansion phases.

Unfortunately, his story also highlights some problematic aspects of player development in non-traditional markets -- namely, that it took a professional athlete with a large income and a direct connection to Joe freakin' Sakic to organize the development of a lottery-pick quality prospect.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:50 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
Anyone have the ratings for last night's rivalry game? I am curious on how well it did considering it was against a rebuilding club.
0.5/1

7/11 in Chicago

.9/2 in Denver

Nicky, here's the last 5 for the Kings:

2/25 - .5/1 FSW
2/27 - .6/1 NBCSN
3/2 - .5/1 FSW
3/4 - .5/1 FSW
3/5 - .7/1 FSW

Old
03-07-2013, 05:24 PM
Nicky Santoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
0.5/1

7/11 in Chicago

.9/2 in Denver

Nicky, here's the last 5 for the Kings:

2/25 - .5/1 FSW
2/27 - .6/1 NBCSN
3/2 - .5/1 FSW
3/4 - .5/1 FSW
3/5 - .7/1 FSW
thanks IU.

my god, i wish i never read those ratings. i'm deceived now. so basically, the defending stanley cup champs who have been on fire and playing real exciting games, coming back to win in great fashion, and Carter putting on a show... is only averaging 0.56 in the last 5 games?? i'm glad i asked u in a way cause now i will officially stop believing LA might turn into a hockey town one day.. i knew they could care less about hockey in LA, but this confirmed it now for me. OUCH..

And what i also find deceiving is Colorado, who were dominant 12 yrs ago and winning cups and getting great ratings and were talk of town in Denver, and a chance last night to end hawks streak, can only muster 0.9 vs Hawks on NBCSN????

Unreal..

Old
03-07-2013, 09:39 PM
frivolousz21

Well I hope Seth Jones makes it and is a star player. Hopefully in a market that he could really help open the game up to minorities.

Now ideally this kid will end up on Team USA during the Olympics and be a pivotal player in the gold medal game or a big name leading up to the Gold Medal game.

Throw in Dustin Byfuglien and coach him to grow out a huge afro leading up to the Olympics so it puffs out of his helmet while he wrecks shop on the ice.

Maybe even stick a comb in it for effect.

I am kidding of course and I do so based on the Hollywood description of the inner city young black male in comedy's like that movie with method man and redman I believe.

So please don't take that out of context...

But in all honesty having those two on a Team USA would be a huge image boost for hockey and diversity.

Team USA Hockey just has to reach the gold medal game in 2014 and it will easily pull 35-40 mil viewers and establish United States Hockey as power even if we lose.

Well losing to Canada would be acceptable but probably no one else, even Russia.

While American's, exp comedians like to make fun of Canada because of how similar the cultures are yet their is a huge difference in world stature. It's really stupid and in jest.

Most American's respect Canada as a peaceful neighbor and the home of cold, ice, Hockey, ridiculous accent's, the word Eh, legalized weed(even if it's not true, it's widely considered fact in the US that you can smoke weed in Canada legally.) and curling.

It's also true that if anyone attacked Canada the American public would immediately demand the US Military respond however we would want them to respond to an attack here whether that's good or bad.

While it's never perfect what countries like Canada, England, France, and the USA have done having long lasting prosperity, democracy and peace helped carve the modern world of human advancement.

I have always thought it is so neat that the NHL has been a Pro Sports league for nearly 100 years operating out of two countries with major ties in both. The sad fact is, the NHL is a geography lesson for American's. While the NHL only reaches a certain amount of fans here, those fans communicate to other non-NHL fans things about Canada and where Calgary and Edmonton are or how Montreal is in the French speaking province, many Americans assume Canadians only speak English or think there is a lot of French immigrants of something. VS the actual set-up Canada has. On top of that, many many NHL fans including myself love Oh Canada. It's so much more pleasing on the ear's as a piece of music than the Star Spangled Banner. I do think they shouldn't play them before every sporting event and only like opening day, all star games, playoff games or maybe just Finals. When I was a high-school senior in band class we all got to pick a song to play one time the last month of our Senior year and I picked Oh Canada and recorded it That was in 2000.

Quote:
American defense arrangements with Canada are more extensive than with any other country.[76] The Permanent Joint Board of Defense, established in 1940, provides policy-level consultation on bilateral defense matters. The United States and Canada share North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) mutual security commitments. In addition, American and Canadian military forces have cooperated since 1958 on continental air defense within the framework of the North American Aerospace Defense Command (NORAD). Canadian forces have provided indirect support for the American invasion of Iraq that began in 2003.[77] Moreover, interoperability with the American armed forces has been a guiding principle of Canadian military force structuring and doctrine since the end of the Cold War. Canadian navy frigates, for instance, integrate seamlessly into American carrier battle groups.[78]

Old
03-07-2013, 10:47 PM
Hamilton Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by frivolousz21 View Post
Most American's respect Canada as a peaceful neighbor and the home of cold, ice, Hockey, ridiculous accent's, the word Eh, legalized weed(even if it's not true, it's widely considered fact in the US that you can smoke weed in Canada legally.) and curling.
Some can http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/dhp-mps/marih...faq-eng.php#a3

Old
03-08-2013, 12:24 AM
Tough Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
Unfortunately, his story also highlights some problematic aspects of player development in non-traditional markets -- namely, that it took a professional athlete with a large income and a direct connection to Joe freakin' Sakic to organize the development of a lottery-pick quality prospect.
Almost all major prospects (certainly the Canadian ones) come from middle class or poor backgrounds. Jones has to be the richest kid from the entire 2013 draft, by a large margin.

You don't need to be rich or have any special ties to pro players to make the NHL.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:41 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky Santoro View Post
thanks IU.

my god, i wish i never read those ratings. i'm deceived now. so basically, the defending stanley cup champs who have been on fire and playing real exciting games, coming back to win in great fashion, and Carter putting on a show... is only averaging 0.56 in the last 5 games?? i'm glad i asked u in a way cause now i will officially stop believing LA might turn into a hockey town one day.. i knew they could care less about hockey in LA, but this confirmed it now for me. OUCH..

And what i also find deceiving is Colorado, who were dominant 12 yrs ago and winning cups and getting great ratings and were talk of town in Denver, and a chance last night to end hawks streak, can only muster 0.9 vs Hawks on NBCSN????

Unreal..
Kinda funny that you were expecting better to be honest. LA is all about their basketball and will be for a long time.

Either way, 0.5 in LA is still a lot of viewers, considering the market size.

Old
03-08-2013, 02:39 AM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
Black and from Texas. The Anti-Southern Expansion Group's collective head must be exploding.
Woah, slow down.

I understand that the Anti-Southern Expansion Group may be dismayed by having a player hailing from Texas drafted so highly -- it may work against their agenda. But are you also insinuating that the player's blackness would exacerbate the Anti-Southern Expansion Group's dismay?

I don't think people who dislike southern teams have anything against black people. Such an insinuation is offensive, and I don't even belong to the Anti-Southern Expansion Group.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:45 AM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Dawg View Post
One last point; in Canada it is quite common for black guys to follow hockey, at least casually. Hockey fans are nowhere near "99%" white in places like Toronto and Vancouver, that's for sure. Immigrants don't follow it at all (or rarely do), but those born in Canada are just as likely to be huge fans as white guys are. Some of the biggest hockey fans I know in Toronto are Indian (as in from India) Arab, Chinese, etc.
Yeah, hockey definitely cuts across demographic lines in major Canadian cities like Toronto and Vancouver. It'd be nice if it can accomplish that more successfully in US cities.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:40 AM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
Woah, slow down.

I understand that the Anti-Southern Expansion Group may be dismayed by having a player hailing from Texas drafted so highly -- it may work against their agenda. But are you also insinuating that the player's blackness would exacerbate the Anti-Southern Expansion Group's dismay?

I don't think people who dislike southern teams have anything against black people. Such an insinuation is offensive, and I don't even belong to the Anti-Southern Expansion Group.
So you took a geographic term and zeroed in on his race rather than his geographic location...

Thanks for twisting that where it shouldn't have went.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:47 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by saffronleaf View Post
Woah, slow down.

"They took our jobs!"

Closed Thread