HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Thoughts on Realignment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-07-2013, 05:14 PM
  #51
MattyMo35
Moderator
Schwartz Be With You
 
MattyMo35's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Country: United States
Posts: 7,278
vCash: 50
Still sucks that we have to lose Detroit, but I'm sure they're thrilled to be in the Eastern Time Zone where they belong. I'm excited to play the Jets more often though. Evander Kane is one of my favorite non-Blues. I can live with the change.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:25 PM
  #52
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 50
There seem to be three schedule options.

Option 1: Play home and home with each eastern conference team (2x16 = 32 games) + six division games against six division opponents (6x6 = 36 games) + a home and home with the Pacific teams (2x7 = 14 games).

Option 2: Home and home with each eastern team (2x16 = 32 games) + five division games against six division opponents (5x6 = 30 games) + three games against all but one of the Pacific teams (3x6 = 18 games) + home and home against one Pacific team (2x1 = 2 games)

Option 3: Home and home with each eastern team (2x16 = 32 games) + five division games against five division opponents (5x5 = 25 games) + four games against one division team (4x1 = 4 games) + three games against each Pacific team (3x7 = 21 games)

It sounds like they're keping the wild-card idea so 3-5 teams per division make it. Still haven't seen the second round reseeding explained.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:36 PM
  #53
sh724
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Missouri
Country: United States
Posts: 2,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
There seem to be three schedule options.

Option 1: Play home and home with each eastern conference team (2x16 = 32 games) + six division games against six division opponents (6x6 = 36 games) + a home and home with the Pacific teams (2x7 = 14 games).

Option 2: Home and home with each eastern team (2x16 = 32 games) + five division games against six division opponents (5x6 = 30 games) + three games against all but one of the Pacific teams (3x6 = 18 games) + home and home against one Pacific team (2x1 = 2 games)

Option 3: Home and home with each eastern team (2x16 = 32 games) + five division games against five division opponents (5x5 = 25 games) + four games against one division team (4x1 = 4 games) + three games against each Pacific team (3x7 = 21 games)

It sounds like they're keping the wild-card idea so 3-5 teams per division make it. Still haven't seen the second round reseeding explained.
I was under the impression that teams would play some teams in their division more often then others something like 5X3 and 6X3, at least for the divisions of 7 teams. That way both the east teams and the west teams play the same amount of inter division games. But this might have changed.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:48 PM
  #54
Alklha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7,472
vCash: 50
The unbalanced Divisions really screw with the schedule.

I'm not sure I understand the point of the Wildcards either, hopefully that is temporary and will be dropped when expansion time comes.

For anyone unsure of the playoffs, the top 3 teams in each Division qualify automatically for the playoffs. Then the last 2 playoff spots in each Conference go to the remaining teams with the highest points. So a Division could have 5 teams, the other would only have 3. Seeds #2 & #3 in each Division are paired together in the first round and the team with the most regular season points in the Conference will play the lowest ranked Wildcard.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:53 PM
  #55
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 50
However, we don't have a clue how second round reseeding works.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:08 PM
  #56
sh724
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Missouri
Country: United States
Posts: 2,048
vCash: 500
It is also important to note, both sides have agreed to review this in 2 years and possible go back to something more traditional if they do not like how things are going.

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:10 PM
  #57
Alklha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7,472
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
However, we don't have a clue how second round reseeding works.
I would assume that the teams would be ranked on the Conference finish for the second round seeding. A Division might only have 1 team remaining after the first round of playoffs, so I can't imagine another set-up they could use.

The schedule is messy as well, I hate unbalanced schedules. Even when it goes to 32 teams (which has got to be the ultimate plan) it is awkward to get a balanced schedule.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:25 PM
  #58
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"
 
Blue Goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
The schedule is messy as well, I hate unbalanced schedules. Even when it goes to 32 teams (which has got to be the ultimate plan) it is awkward to get a balanced schedule.
The issue with the unbalanced schedule seems to be based on the insistence that each team play more than just a home-and-home with the teams from the other division in their conference. I think Pocket Nines' Option #1 makes perfect sense:

Option 1: Play home and home with each eastern conference team (2x16 = 32 games) + six division games against six division opponents (6x6 = 36 games) + a home and home with the Pacific teams (2x7 = 14 games).

If the playoffs are going to be based on divisional standings, I would hope that there would be more divisional games. Sure, it might get repetitive seeing some of the same teams over and over again, but at the same time, those are the ones you want to play down the stretch in order to beat them and assure your team of a playoff spot.

When the realignment gets "re-visited" in 2015 (i.e. when the NHL adds two more expansion teams to get four 8-team divisions), I can see something like this (using P9's Option 1 as a framework):

For scheduling purposes, each division is broken into two 4-team geographically-adjacent "subdivisions" (cue the Rush song)

Play six division games against three subdivision opponents (6x3 = 18 games) + four division games against four opponents in other subdivision (4x4 = 16 games) + a home and home with the rest of the NHL teams (2x24 = 48 games).

Blue Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:55 PM
  #59
Izzy
Moderator
FollowmeonInstagram!
 
Izzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Nova Scotia
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,251
vCash: 270
This is going to be annoying to get used to... Detroit switched after so long..

Izzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 11:26 PM
  #60
superblues
I'm being sarcastic.
 
superblues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 3,628
vCash: 50
I don't like the "Central" name possibly going to an eastern division
I'm glad Columbus moved east.
I'm gonna miss having Detroit in our division.
I like having Colorado in our division.
I'm indifferent about Minnesota and Winnipeg in our division.
I don't like Dallas in our division. I don't really know why.

Not sure I'm a fan of the schedule and playoffs. I'll wait to pass judgement until they're more solidified.

superblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:15 AM
  #61
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
The issue with the unbalanced schedule seems to be based on the insistence that each team play more than just a home-and-home with the teams from the other division in their conference. I think Pocket Nines' Option #1 makes perfect sense:

Option 1: Play home and home with each eastern conference team (2x16 = 32 games) + six division games against six division opponents (6x6 = 36 games) + a home and home with the Pacific teams (2x7 = 14 games).

If the playoffs are going to be based on divisional standings, I would hope that there would be more divisional games. Sure, it might get repetitive seeing some of the same teams over and over again, but at the same time, those are the ones you want to play down the stretch in order to beat them and assure your team of a playoff spot.

When the realignment gets "re-visited" in 2015 (i.e. when the NHL adds two more expansion teams to get four 8-team divisions), I can see something like this (using P9's Option 1 as a framework):

For scheduling purposes, each division is broken into two 4-team geographically-adjacent "subdivisions" (cue the Rush song)

Play six division games against three subdivision opponents (6x3 = 18 games) + four division games against four opponents in other subdivision (4x4 = 16 games) + a home and home with the rest of the NHL teams (2x24 = 48 games).
The only thing is that that same deal in the East would be 2x14 = 28, plus 2x8 =16, plus 38 games divided by 7 teams (some 5, some 6), so it's not as clean over there. The other thing that makes me think it won't be Option 1 as I had it listed is that for teams in the West there would be no difference during the season between fellow conference mates and the east. You'd just play everyone else twice and your division 6 times. I would actually be fine with and prefer this system but only if they were going with the originally described format that I really liked – four division games, you have 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 and then a division champion who is in the NHL Final Four. If you're going to have to face conference companions in the playoffs then you have to play conference companions more than opposing conference teams.

What I liked about the insular division format is it really would spark intense rivalries. That was one of my favorite things about the 80s Blues games was all those rivalry games with Chicago, the North Stars, the Wings, the Leafs. You'd play 8 times a season and then you'd have to reign supreme in the playoffs against the same teams. So much more natural hate developed between teams, and you'd have so much more grudge physicality throughout the lineups. If it were basically like the NHL had four different leagues that every year played a Final Four for overall supremacy, that would be worth re-generating all that intense passion among fans and teams who had so many memorable division battles.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:55 AM
  #62
BlueDream
Registered User
 
BlueDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 6,795
vCash: 500
I like gaining Minnesota.

I think the 'Hawks, Wild, Avs will be our three biggest rivals in this new division.

BlueDream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:07 AM
  #63
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"
 
Blue Goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
The only thing is that that same deal in the East would be 2x14 = 28, plus 2x8 =16, plus 38 games divided by 7 teams (some 5, some 6), so it's not as clean over there.
Actually, I think it would work if they went with my "subdivision" idea. In fact, when re-alignment was first introduced a couple of years ago, this was the theory for the 8-team divisions:

Play six division games against three subdivision opponents (6x3 = 18 games) + five division games against four opponents in other subdivision (5x4 = 20 games) + a home and home with the rest of the NHL teams (2x22 = 44 games).

Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
The other thing that makes me think it won't be Option 1 as I had it listed is that for teams in the West there would be no difference during the season between fellow conference mates and the east. You'd just play everyone else twice and your division 6 times. I would actually be fine with and prefer this system but only if they were going with the originally described format that I really liked – four division games, you have 1 v 4 and 2 v 3 and then a division champion who is in the NHL Final Four. If you're going to have to face conference companions in the playoffs then you have to play conference companions more than opposing conference teams.
True, and I tend to agree. But for the sake of balancing the schedule, I think it's worth taking the chance that you could end up with 1 v 4 from the same division - since we'll automatically have 2 v 3 every year, there's a good chance you wouldn't play a team from the other division in your conference until the 3rd round (just like the old days!).

Case in point: if the re-alignment was in place right now, the current Western Conference playoff matchups would be:

M1 Chicago v M4 St. Louis (lower-seeded wild card)
M2 Detroit v M3 Dallas
P1 Anaheim v P4 San Jose (higher-seeded wild card)
P2 Vancouver v P3 Los Angeles

Blue Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:38 AM
  #64
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
Actually, I think it would work if they went with my "subdivision" idea. In fact, when re-alignment was first introduced a couple of years ago, this was the theory for the 8-team divisions:

Play six division games against three subdivision opponents (6x3 = 18 games) + five division games against four opponents in other subdivision (5x4 = 20 games) + a home and home with the rest of the NHL teams (2x22 = 44 games).



True, and I tend to agree. But for the sake of balancing the schedule, I think it's worth taking the chance that you could end up with 1 v 4 from the same division - since we'll automatically have 2 v 3 every year, there's a good chance you wouldn't play a team from the other division in your conference until the 3rd round (just like the old days!).

Case in point: if the re-alignment was in place right now, the current Western Conference playoff matchups would be:

M1 Chicago v M4 St. Louis (lower-seeded wild card)
M2 Detroit v M3 Dallas
P1 Anaheim v P4 San Jose (higher-seeded wild card)
P2 Vancouver v P3 Los Angeles
Heheh, no, Detroit's going east! It would be:

M1 Chicago v. WC2 Minnesota
M2 Dallas v. M3 St. Louis
P1 Anaheim v. WC1 San Jose
P2 Vancouver v. P3 Los Angeles

(if San Jose advanced they'd actually be seeded home team over any Midwest team except Chicago)

In the East it would be:

C1 Boston v. WC2 Ottawa
C2 Montreal v. C3 Toronto
A1 Pittsburgh v. WC1 Detroit
A2 NY Rangers v. A3 Carolina

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:19 AM
  #65
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"
 
Blue Goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PocketNines View Post
Heheh, no, Detroit's going east! It would be:

M1 Chicago v. WC2 Minnesota
M2 Dallas v. M3 St. Louis
P1 Anaheim v. WC1 San Jose
P2 Vancouver v. P3 Los Angeles

(if San Jose advanced they'd actually be seeded home team over any Midwest team except Chicago)

In the East it would be:

C1 Boston v. WC2 Ottawa
C2 Montreal v. C3 Toronto
A1 Pittsburgh v. WC1 Detroit
A2 NY Rangers v. A3 Carolina
D'oh! Forgot about the Detroit move.

The way I understand it, if SJ advances they play the winner of the VAN-LA series automatically, right? They don't re-seed, NFL-style, do they? If so, you'd be forcing the DAL-STL winner to play VAN-LA (rather than having inter-divisional matchups featuring CHI against STL-DAL and SJ against VAN-LA), and I thought they were trying to avoid such scenarios. In fact, I thought I heard insiders (Dreger, MacKenzie, etc.) mention that part of what needed to be ironed out in the plan was to make each WC team a "de facto" member of that division's playoff pool (i.e. Detroit becomes an "Atlantic" team, for the first two rounds).

Blue Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 03:40 AM
  #66
PocketNines
Only a 2 year window
 
PocketNines's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Crested Butte, CO
Posts: 9,298
vCash: 50
That's just it, I haven't seen anything listed. Some assume there would have to be reseeding based on overall record, some wonder whether the wild cards would get sucked into a 4 team mini-tourney and those four teams play down to one. Plenty of years there might be four teams from each division but the division champ winds up playing the 4th team from the other division (that is, M1 v P4, M2 v M3, P2 v P3, P1 v M4). That seems ... I dunno. I wish they'd just do either four teams per division period OR only one or two teams guaranteed per division. Or if it's 4 per division there's no crossover, even if the highest seeded division winner and the lowest seeded wild card are in opposite divisions.

PocketNines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:14 AM
  #67
2 Minute Minor
Hi Keeba!
 
2 Minute Minor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Temple, Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 7,322
vCash: 714
As long as there is home and home, at least, with every team I like it. Sucks to lose Detroit, but on the whole I think its good.

2 Minute Minor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:28 AM
  #68
JustOneB4IDie
Everyone Overpayment
 
JustOneB4IDie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: St. Louis MO
Country: United States
Posts: 3,379
vCash: 50
Blues lost Toronto, & North Stars a while back as a rival, so get over losing Detroit and move on! New rivalries will be created.

JustOneB4IDie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:47 AM
  #69
CarvinSigX
Registered User
 
CarvinSigX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois
Country: United States
Posts: 8,025
vCash: 2616
How much money will the Blues have lost with Detroit in the East? Rivalry games make teams money.

CarvinSigX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:30 AM
  #70
PerryTurnbullfan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Penalty Box
Country:
Posts: 2,159
vCash: 500
I have to be honest. The Red Wings haven't been the same as in years past. In its hey day, it was awesome with Kocur, Probie, Yzerman, Fedorov, Ciccarelli, Lidstrom, and Konstantinov later with Shanny even. It has lost its luster. I think it's time for some new rivalries.

PerryTurnbullfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 11:49 AM
  #71
Blue Goose
"Hockey Transplant"
 
Blue Goose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
I have to be honest. The Red Wings haven't been the same as in years past. In its hey day, it was awesome with Kocur, Probie, Yzerman, Fedorov, Ciccarelli, Lidstrom, and Konstantinov later with Shanny even. It has lost its luster. I think it's time for some new rivalries.
Exactly. I'm looking forward to the new rivalries with the Jets, Wild, Stars and Avs - especially if we get Stastny!

I'm also tired of Detroit fans making it sound as if the Red Wings are this virtual cash register for the other West teams and that we'll all go broke if we don't have the precious Wings in our buildings 2-3 times per year instead of once. We're coming up on 5 years since their last Cup, and if their decline should continue, I can see many of the bandwagon fans littered throughout the West jumping ship...

Blue Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 01:56 PM
  #72
BluzNBirds57
Registered User
 
BluzNBirds57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Isn't the whole purpose of this to save money and for less travel for the teams? If this is truly about that, then stop making it East/West and make it more like the MLB. That is the only way travel will ever be fair for everyone. Teams in the west still clearly have to travel much more than the east.

BluzNBirds57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:06 PM
  #73
Alklha
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7,472
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluzNBirds57 View Post
Isn't the whole purpose of this to save money and for less travel for the teams? If this is truly about that, then stop making it East/West and make it more like the MLB. That is the only way travel will ever be fair for everyone. Teams in the west still clearly have to travel much more than the east.
NHL can't be compared to MLB. It isn't an issue flying to a city and then spending 3 or 4 days there and playing your 2-4 games, NHL you are going to play 1 game and in then flying out that night in many cases. The East/West divide is far from perfect, but it makes most sense.

Ultimately, when you are with a team, an extra hour on a plane here and there isn't a massive deal. I think it would be silly to suggest it isn't something that passes through players minds when they are in the UFA marketplace though.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 02:43 PM
  #74
BluzNBirds57
Registered User
 
BluzNBirds57's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 7
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
NHL can't be compared to MLB. It isn't an issue flying to a city and then spending 3 or 4 days there and playing your 2-4 games, NHL you are going to play 1 game and in then flying out that night in many cases. The East/West divide is far from perfect, but it makes most sense.

Ultimately, when you are with a team, an extra hour on a plane here and there isn't a massive deal. I think it would be silly to suggest it isn't something that passes through players minds when they are in the UFA marketplace though.
You are right; I don't know how, but I didn't even think about MLB playing a 3-4 game series vs NHL just playing 1.

BluzNBirds57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:36 PM
  #75
Yoko Ono
Golf In May
 
Yoko Ono's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: La La Land Blue Note
Posts: 128
vCash: 500
Why does it have to be East West why not split it North South.

Yoko Ono is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.