HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Danny Briere: activated Apr. 11 (concussion Mar. 25); Q and A article Apr. 11

Old
03-07-2013, 05:38 PM
boodangleroo28

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
PM me too...
Me 3

boodangleroo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:41 PM
bennysflyers16

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by boodangleroo28 View Post
Me 3
Me 4 if possible

bennysflyers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:46 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Pretty sure BobbyClarkeFan16 is totally wrong about this trade proposal, or his "source" is totally wrong, whichever way you want to take it.

Paying for Briere's kids/wife to constantly be on the road with him would absolutely be in violation of the NHL CBA and there's no work-around for it. Unless Briere is paying out of his pocket (which would require no negotiation with the Bruins), it's a clear-cut CBA violation as it falls under impermissible player benefits.

Now maybe I'm just jumping to conclusions, but I would assume the Bruins GM and Briere's agent are both well informed on the CBA terms, so if BCF16's "source" really had a pulse on things, I wouldn't expect him to say something silly like "Briere wants them to cover travel expenses". Suffice it to say that I will be shocked if this trade or a trade of Laughton materializes before the deadline.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:10 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
Pretty sure BobbyClarkeFan16 is totally wrong about this trade proposal, or his "source" is totally wrong, whichever way you want to take it.

Paying for Briere's kids/wife to constantly be on the road with him would absolutely be in violation of the NHL CBA and there's no work-around for it. Unless Briere is paying out of his pocket (which would require no negotiation with the Bruins), it's a clear-cut CBA violation as it falls under impermissible player benefits.

Now maybe I'm just jumping to conclusions, but I would assume the Bruins GM and Briere's agent are both well informed on the CBA terms, so if BCF16's "source" really had a pulse on things, I wouldn't expect him to say something silly like "Briere wants them to cover travel expenses". Suffice it to say that I will be shocked if this trade or a trade of Laughton materializes before the deadline.
Actually, what Briere is asking for falls under Section 26. Circumvention Description - 1. Things Of Value. Briere can argue that having his kids is a benefit for the player. Now, before anything can be done, the league needs to be petitioned for that. Sheldon Souray went through something similar with his ex-wife Angelica Bridges and that the league also stepped in and allowed his team at the time (Edmonton) to help out with his situation with his wife.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Stranger Danger
the

^^^^ I don't care who you are or how you know. I enjoy your "speculation or w/e it is, and trust you more than eklund So keep it up!

Stranger Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:58 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Actually, what Briere is asking for falls under Section 26. Circumvention Description - 1. Things Of Value. Briere can argue that having his kids is a benefit for the player. Now, before anything can be done, the league needs to be petitioned for that. Sheldon Souray went through something similar with his ex-wife Angelica Bridges and that the league also stepped in and allowed his team at the time (Edmonton) to help out with his situation with his wife.
Actually it falls under Section 50, things of de minimis value to the player. That article allows for teams to pay for things like father-son road trips, parental travel to first games, etc. The league does not however permit the team to pay for kids and ex (or current) wives to travel with the team to several games. That's an unreasonable added cost. It's an impermissible benefit. Especially when Briere went to play in Germany for 4-5 months with no assistance towards his children.

I'm not familiar with the Souray situation or what the league allegedly allowed in that situation. I searched for information on it, but came up with nothing. Perhaps you could post a link? I've never heard of a player's family following him on the road continuously, and certainly not with an ex-wife in tow.

And unless you wish to explain (either here or via PM) why your source is credible / where you're getting this info, I'll choose not to believe your rumors. Speculation is fun, but I think that's what this really is, speculation as opposed to having a legitimate source with knowledge of the situation. You're a nice guy and you're definitely knowledgeable about prospects but you've posted some things that are pretty far out there over the years (Wayne Simmonds will score 40 goals is one of the things I remember off hand) and as far as I can tell, you've never been correct on a rumor. It's nothing personal, I just don't believe "established" sources like Eklund so I'm darn sure not going to believe a random guy on a message board unless I've got reason to.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:50 PM

Please, i'm going insane here. Somebody please offer a logical explanation for Briere's continued ice time. He's offering NOTHING. Rinaldo has had a far better game tonight and has had 6 minutes.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:51 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Is there any team that would jump on Coburn + Briere?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:53 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Is there any team that would jump on Coburn + Briere?
that's a lot of cash going on way...

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:54 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
You make it sound like we won't take any back. Also, a lot of teams have a lot of cap room.

Coburn + Briere to the Ducks for Sbisa, 1st and a 3rd.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
A lot of cap hit but not anywhere near as much cash. That could be attractive.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:05 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Actually it falls under Section 50, things of de minimis value to the player. That article allows for teams to pay for things like father-son road trips, parental travel to first games, etc. The league does not however permit the team to pay for kids and ex (or current) wives to travel with the team to several games. That's an unreasonable added cost. It's an impermissible benefit. Especially when Briere went to play in Germany for 4-5 months with no assistance towards his children.

I'm not familiar with the Souray situation or what the league allegedly allowed in that situation. I searched for information on it, but came up with nothing. Perhaps you could post a link? I've never heard of a player's family following him on the road continuously, and certainly not with an ex-wife in tow.

And unless you wish to explain (either here or via PM) why your source is credible / where you're getting this info, I'll choose not to believe your rumors. Speculation is fun, but I think that's what this really is, speculation as opposed to having a legitimate source with knowledge of the situation. You're a nice guy and you're definitely knowledgeable about prospects but you've posted some things that are pretty far out there over the years (Wayne Simmonds will score 40 goals is one of the things I remember off hand) and as far as I can tell, you've never been correct on a rumor. It's nothing personal, I just don't believe "established" sources like Eklund so I'm darn sure not going to believe a random guy on a message board unless I've got reason to.
I can't speak about BC16's credibility, but I will add the same criticisms were said about Renegade and Dobberhockey.

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:20 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Anyone want to make a Briere + Coburn trade thread in the trade area?

Old
03-07-2013, 08:21 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Anyone want to make a Briere + Coburn trade thread in the trade area?
There was one either yesterday or the day before.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:48 PM
MsWoof

Quote:

He is legit and I believe what he is saying.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:57 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I know Coburn's been playing like ****. I don't know if I would want to trade him so easily like some of you's want to.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:57 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I know Coburn's been playing like ****. I don't know if I would want to trade him so easily like some of you's want to.
The only reason I wouldnt trade him is because we have no one that can fill his spot.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:58 PM

He was -3 on the night and despite being on the ice for nearly a third of the game, he was only on for 2 of our 32 shots. I actually want to extrapolate that stat, nail it home further.

S/60 Briere on ice: 6.8
S/60 Briere off ice: 42.4

Old
03-07-2013, 08:59 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
He was -3 on the night and despite being on the ice for nearly a third of the game, he was only on for 2 of our 32 shots. I actually want to extrapolate that stat, nail it home further.

S/60 Briere on ice: 6.8
S/60 Briere off ice: 42.4
I'm no where near a fan of Briere, but that's not quite fair to do.

EDIT: I mean, yes, that spread is awful, but just about every forward is going to have a pretty negative spread.

Last edited by Go For It: 03-07-2013 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Added
Old
03-07-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
...why not?

Old
03-07-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:

EDIT: I mean, yes, that spread is awful, but just about every forward is going to have a pretty negative spread.
That's not points, or plus minus. That's Flyer shots. He played 17.5 of the 60 minutes and we had 2 shots. In the other 42.5 minutes we had 30.

Bottom line, when he's on the ice we concede a lot and don't even have shots, let alone score. He's an absolute liability who needs to be in the press box.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
That's not points, or plus minus. That's Flyer shots. He played 17.5 of the 60 minutes and we had 2 shots. In the other 42.5 minutes we had 30.

Bottom line, when he's on the ice we concede a lot and don't even have shots, let alone score. He's an absolute liability who needs to be in the press box.
I'm not quite sure where you're getting that stat. Briere himself had 2 shots. Did no one else shoot when he was on the ice?

Old
03-07-2013, 09:12 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
I'm not quite sure where you're getting that stat. Briere himself had 2 shots. Did no one else shoot when he was on the ice?
Probably not considering his puck possession and passing skills stink

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:14 PM
LegionOfDoom91

I would trade Briere for a bag of pucks right now. Getting any better than that is a plus at this point.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:15 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Early in the season there was a missed rebound to the left of the net that Old Briere would have been in place for and put home. Tonight, Briere chest sniped Vokoun when he had a horde of bodies to bounce the puck off of. Old Briere used to score those creative goals.

I don't like New Briere.