HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Hodgson Trade Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 05:23 PM
freakydave

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Same, anyone who can say the trade was worse than the cup loss is more of a Cody fan than a Canucks fan.

Atleast with the Cody trade (Which I like) We get a PWF with a rare complete package and big upside that we need moving forward.
With the cup loss, there was nothing but tears and an empty feeling that got alot bigger and will never go away. Still haunts me.
Cool when will he be arriving???
All Vancouver got was another player AV doesn't have a clue what to do with.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:33 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Ribiero, Derek Roy?
Pierre Larouche

Old
03-07-2013, 05:40 PM
Zarpan

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the ES View Post
People always say this, but this explanation only talks about Kassian's development, not Hodgson's. If Kassian's being compared to these guys, who's Hodgson being compared to?
Maybe Pominville. He's a bit (one year) ahead of Pominville's curve, but Pominville's 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 seasons are pretty similar to Hodgson's last two seasons production wise.

Different positions, but they're about the same size, and Pominville wasn't noted for being particularly fast. Buffalo blogs have noted that Pominville has developed into a pretty responsible defensive player now, although I don't know what he was like in his early career.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:47 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarpan View Post
Maybe Pominville. He's a bit (one year) ahead of Pominville's curve, but Pominville's 2005-2006 and 2006-2007 seasons are pretty similar to Hodgson's last two seasons production wise.

Different positions, but they're about the same size, and Pominville wasn't noted for being particularly fast. Buffalo blogs have noted that Pominville has developed into a pretty responsible defensive player now, although I don't know what he was like in his early career.
Come on. Jason Pominville? That's really how you think Cody will turn out?

The kid's going to be a star. Let's not forget that we're talking about a guy who orders milk at bars, gets multiple professional opinions, works out and eats very specifically, etc. Off-the-charts motivation.

BTW - Henrik Sedin was also very slow until well into his career.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:48 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Um.

Ask 29 NHL GMs who'd they rather have, 29 will say Cody Hodgson. Vancouver very clearly lost this deal.
Any team with good center depth has little use for a guy like Hodgson. There's a reason LA couldn't even be bothered to entertain moving Clifford for him.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:52 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakydave View Post
Cool when will he be arriving???
All Vancouver got was another player AV doesn't have a clue what to do with.
He just turned 22.

Bertuzzi didn't put up 50 points till he was 25. Just as an example.

Like any young player they show flashes but they take awhile to develop, and PWF's take even longer to develop. But the upside is certainly there, he is probably the best old school PWF prospect out there.

I agree AV doesn't use him well at times but give it sometime cause the upside is huge.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:53 PM
struckmatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Any team with good center depth has little use for a guy like Hodgson. There's a reason LA couldn't even be bothered to entertain moving Clifford for him.
That makes zero sense. We killed our own center depth by making this deal. Kesler came back too soon and the entire organization knew it, the fans knew it, everyone did. So we go and trade an offensive center who was contributing offensively (in limited minutes and PP time) and replace him with Sammy Pahlsson? Seriously?

Gillis gets no heat for that? Wow. A lot of blind Canucks fans around these parts. Figured this wasn't CDC and that we could call this organization on their mistakes when they happen.

This deal just made ZERO sense at the time. If Hodgson was having problems with the Canucks it's because they did their share of mismanagement of the situation.

Why else was Gillis so quick to attack Hodgson right after he shipped him out of town?

Old
03-07-2013, 05:56 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:

The kid's going to be a star. Let's not forget that we're talking about a guy who orders milk at bars, gets multiple professional opinions, works out and eats very specifically, etc. Off-the-charts motivation.

What do you think Pominville is? Table scraps? The guy is a star in his own right and the captain of his club.

Cody will be a real good player for Buffalo, but he won't be as good as Henrik Sedin. And Henrik's character is much greater than Cody's, that's not a knock on Cody, that is just speaking highly of how great Henrik is.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:57 PM
opendoor

Quote:

I think Pominville might be stretching it. This is a guy who has scored at a 70 pt per 82 game pace over the last 6 years. Hodgson's got a long way to go before he establishes himself as that kind of player.

I joked earlier about Hodgson's dad signing up on HFBoards to defend him. March 2013 join date, pretty much every post pumping up Hodgson, hmmm...

Old
03-07-2013, 05:59 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Cody will be a real good player for Buffalo, but he won't be as good as Henrik Sedin. And Henrik's character is much greater than Cody's, that's not a knock on Cody, that is just speaking highly of how great Henrik is.
Hank didn't get his daddy to complain to Nonis about how much Marc Crawford was so mean to him and his brother and wouldn't give them the increased icetime when they were clearly outplaying the WCE (eventually Crawford "saw the light").

They kept their mouths shut (that includes NOT getting others to **** on their behalf) & paid their dues. That's being a professional.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:03 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
Hank didn't get his daddy to complain to Nonis about how much Marc Crawford was so mean to him and his brother and wouldn't give them the increased icetime when they were clearly outplaying the WCE (eventually Crawford "saw the light").

They kept their mouths shut (that includes NOT getting others to **** on their behalf) & paid their dues. That's being a professional.
Exactly.

Cody should have done that, he should have come here, learned from Henrik, learned a two-way game from Kesler. Learned how to be a professional from the Sedins and other guys like Hamhuis, exc.

But he didn't and I think he really could have benefited from it in the long-run.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:04 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
Well, trade someone else. Dangle Kesler, see what's out there. I think Nashville would've listened to a Kesler/Weber deal.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:05 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
I think Pominville might be stretching it. This is a guy who has scored at a 70 pt per 82 game pace over the last 6 years. Hodgson's got a long way to go before he establishes himself as that kind of player.
Right. But bring on the Kassian/Lucic comparisons, because that's not a stretch at all.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:09 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Well, trade someone else. Dangle Kesler, see what's out there. I think Nashville would've listened to a Kesler/Weber deal.
First off Nashville wouldn't even consider that. And secondly why would the Canucks shift around their entire lineup to fit in a defensive train wreck who doesn't even want to be there and who would be lucky to even match Kesler's offensive production given the same spot in the lineup and same linemates?

And even if he did put up great offensive numbers he'd probably be a real hard ass when it came to signing an extension. We'd probably see an O'Reilly type situation where he'd be looking for $5+ million after 1 good season.

Quote:
Right. But bring on the Kassian/Lucic comparisons, because that's not a stretch at all.

I don't think I've ever read someone scoff at the Lucic comparison because they think Kassian will definitely be better like you did with the Hodgson/Pominville comparison. That's the difference.

Lucic is Kassian's best case scenario; you're talking like Pominville is Hodgson's worst case scenario.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:18 PM
doobie604

All these people saying Cody should keep his mouth shut and play, as far as I know, nothing was mentioned before the trade. I prefer him or his father going to the coach and gm for more ice time rather that than going to the media. His play before the trade didn't show any sign of a player bitter about playing time either, so now the GM throws him under the bus and all the fans think he's a cry baby. Do we want a player that has fire and wants that bigger role or do we want more soft spoken players who will keep their mouth shut and do whatever AV tells them to do. Kesler played well on the win when Matts played here, so why not try Cody and Kes together? Always been said centers are harder to acquire than wingers, so why are we getting rid of one of the few offensive center we have for a winger? PWF takes a long time to devolve, wrong move for a team who's trying to win now imo. What's done is done, but it was a mistake. Pretty hard to get a decent center right now isn't it, even harder if you want a center that can put up points.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:27 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by doobie604 View Post
Kesler played well on the win when Matts played here, so why not try Cody and Kes together?
Sundin was a proven NHLer and that was Kesler's first season where he showed he and the offensive ability to be more than just a 3rd line center. Big, big difference.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:28 PM
King of the ES*

Quote:
First off Nashville wouldn't even consider that. And secondly why would the Canucks shift around their entire lineup to fit in a defensive train wreck who doesn't even want to be there and who would be lucky to even match Kesler's offensive production given the same spot in the lineup and same linemates?

And even if he did put up great offensive numbers he'd probably be a real hard ass when it came to signing an extension. We'd probably see an O'Reilly type situation where he'd be looking for $5+ million after 1 good season.
That's interesting, Cody's the first "defensive train wreck" that I know of who was also voted as the OHL's top PKer (in addition to being voted the smartest player, best on faceoffs, etc.).

As for Nashville, I think they'd certainly consider it. Kesler dominated the Preds in 2011 in the playoffs. He's also scored 40 goals and has a Selke. Absolutely perfect for the Predators. We probably would have needed to add to the deal, but not that much - maybe a guy like Ballard.

Quote:
Lucic is Kassian's best case scenario; you're talking like Pominville is Hodgson's worst case scenario.
Yeah, I'd call that pretty accurate. I can't foresee a scenario at the moment where Cody Hodgson is not a perennial NHL All-Star.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
That's interesting, Cody's the first "defensive train wreck" that I know of who was also voted as the OHL's top PKer (in addition to being voted the smartest player, best on faceoffs, etc.).
That ability hasn't yet manifested itself at the NHL...yet.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:44 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
That ability hasn't yet manifested itself at the NHL...yet.
Still waiting for the NHL's best PKer award to go to Hogdson too.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:51 PM
vadim sharifijanov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
If we built him up does that mean he was more valuable the day he was traded than he is today? Is that what you think?

I can't believe people are willing to defend Gillis' notion that he artificially inflated this players value by playing him against competition that 90% of rookie centremen see - and with no shifts alongside the teams best forwards. If he wanted to artifically inflate Hodgson's point totals maybe play him on the 1st PP unit. Or with the teams top offensive players. Just an idea.
he wanted to artificially inflate hodgson's point totals, while still making the playoffs. i'm not saying hodgson sucks, but role-wise that's the difference between hodgson last year, and him this year in buffalo.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:13 PM
RezChi

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Still waiting for the NHL's best PKer award to go to Hogdson too.
He's been pretty good on the PK actually.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Lord Flacko*
Down to let it go

vCash: 907
The funniest thing about all of this is how when Kassian had 7 goals in 7 games, everyone was like "WOO HODGSON WHO?? KASSIAN ALL THE WAY!! HES THE NEXT LUCIC!" and now that Hodgson is doing better than him everyones like "MG ****ED UP, TRADED A FRANCHISE PLAYER FOR A GOON THAT SUCKS".

Old
03-07-2013, 07:16 PM
RezChi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Flacko View Post
The funniest thing about all of this is how when Kassian had 7 goals in 7 games, everyone was like "WOO HODGSON WHO?? KASSIAN ALL THE WAY!! HES THE NEXT LUCIC!" and now that Hodgson is doing better than him everyones like "MG ****ED UP, TRADED A FRANCHISE PLAYER FOR A GOON THAT SUCKS".
A lot of people already knew Kassian usually has a good start at the beginning of seasons but drop out later on though.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:26 PM
serge2k

Quote:
He just turned 22.

Bertuzzi didn't put up 50 points till he was 25. Just as an example.

Like any young player they show flashes but they take awhile to develop, and PWF's take even longer to develop. But the upside is certainly there, he is probably the best old school PWF prospect out there.

I agree AV doesn't use him well at times but give it sometime cause the upside is huge.
Right, so he's useless to this core.

might as well have dumped Hodgson for a 4th liner and a pick.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Zarpan

Quote:

Yeah, I'd call that pretty accurate. I can't foresee a scenario at the moment where Cody Hodgson is not a perennial NHL All-Star.
Well, Alex Friesen won a similar OHL vote for the top PKer, best on faceoffs, and best defensive forward.

He's having trouble making any impact (defensive or otherwise) at the AHL level because he's slow and small. Cody has the offensive talent at least to mitigate his defensive shortcomings.

I'd have to also say that you're incredibly optimistic if you think his floor is perennial all-star. That's like saying that you can't foresee a scenario where he isn't at or near Crosby level.

Closed Thread