HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey without fighting.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:43 PM
Cromster

vCash: 500
Fighting has been a part of the NHL forever. There are many other hockey leagues which have outlawed fighting. Fighting may not be an integral part of hockey, but it is an integral part of the NHL. If you love hockey and hate fighting, change the channel. You have other opportunities to enjoy fighting free hockey.

If you don't have the stomach for it, watch something else. I'm tired of the "End fighting in the NHL" movement. Fighting is an integral part of the NHL. Always has been.

Cromster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:50 PM
C77

At this point I have to reluctantly say that I've seen enough of fighting in hockey.

What will the league do when there is an on-ice fatality from a fight?

Don't think it can't or won't happen either....the amount of force generated by these guys that are 6-6 240 lbs (or bigger sometimes) is literally staggering.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:52 PM
sepster

"Hockey without fighting" ...is the worst.

sepster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:55 PM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepster View Post
"Hockey without fighting" ...is the worst.
As someone else pointed out....Are you talking about playoff hockey? There aren't many fights in the playoffs.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:00 PM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
because thats happened before, ever, in the ~100 year history of the NHL?

these are grown male athletes in top physical shape, this isnt Mike Tyson punching a toddler square in the face.

Bizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:08 PM
Shawnofthedeadz

Quote:
At this point I have to reluctantly say that I've seen enough of fighting in hockey.

Don't think it can't or won't happen either....the amount of force generated by these guys that are 6-6 240 lbs (or bigger sometimes) is literally staggering.
Highly unlikely for two reasons.

1. The referees have been very well trained to intervene in fights and know when to break them up.

2. Even in boxing, a sport of punching the crap out of your opponent there has only been 695 deaths from 1931 - 2003. An average of 9.6 / year. Many of those fighters get knocked down and continuously get back up after taking multiple concussions. They continue to fight through them until they can no longer stand, that is dangerous. In hockey, as soon as you go down the refs interfere. Worst case scenario in hockey you get another Burtuzzi incident. (Though after that incident a lot of players have become more aware and usually don't act as reckless.) Death from a skate blade to the throat or a puck to the adam's apple or forehead are far more likely to kill you.

Fighting in the NHL is part of its Identity. It has been in the league forever, and historically part of the Canadian version of hockey forever. Personally, I would be absolutely disappointed if they removed fighting from the league. Next they might as well remove hitting because players could go in the boards, snap their neck and die. In fact, lets remove boards too, they are too dangerous and cause too many injuries already...

Shawnofthedeadz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:12 PM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
because thats happened before, ever, in the ~100 year history of the NHL?

these are grown male athletes in top physical shape, this isnt Mike Tyson punching a toddler square in the face.

Sometimes people are killed in fist fights. Just because someone is a professional athlete doesn't mean his brain is less vulnerable to physical trauma.

Is it really that far-fetched for hockey fans to think that it could happen after a fight like last night's between McLaren and Dziurzynski?

Surely hockey fans of all people are aware of how hard the ice surface is.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:17 PM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnofthedeadz View Post
Next they might as well remove hitting because players could go in the boards, snap their neck and die. In fact, lets remove boards too, they are too dangerous and cause too many injuries already...
exactly, did they ban skates when Malarchuk got cut?

didnt think so.

Its typical of people these days to overreact like this whenever stuff like this happens. Oh no! Marc Staal got hit in the eye with a puck?? That's never happened before! quick, lets stop using pucks and start using beach balls!

The Bertuzzi incident was probably the most violent in recent NHL history, but that was from a dirty play, not from a fight.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:17 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 150
People always want to change the game to make it "better." Newsflash: your changes suck.

If you don't like fighting, flip the channel over to something else.

I Hate Chris Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:20 PM
KA BLAMO

vCash: 569
You're right, fighting is dangerous. Get rid of it!

While we're at it, those blades on the skates are dangerous. No more skates! No more skates!

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:21 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
exactly, did they ban skates when Malarchuk got cut?

didnt think so.

Its typical of people these days to overreact like this whenever stuff like this happens. Oh no! Marc Staal got hit in the eye with a puck?? That's never happened before! quick, lets stop using pucks and start using beach balls!

The Bertuzzi incident was probably the most violent in recent NHL history, but that was from a dirty play, not from a fight.
Actually from two dirty plays and a fight.

Moore answered the bell and fought earlier in that game. He had paid his "dues".

If uou want to see fighting, go to MMA. or a boxing or wrestling match. these sports are exactly what's it's all about.

You wanna fight in hockey. Fine. But you should be ejected from the game as they do in any other pro sports.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:22 PM
Bizz06
#FireDougWilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habtchum View Post
Actually from two dirty plays and a fight.

Moore answered the bell and fought earlier in that game. He had paid his "dues".
that's funny, because Moore seemed perfectly fine before having his head driven to the ice by Bertuzzi.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:28 PM
um

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Hate Chris Butler View Post
People always want to change the game to make it "better." Newsflash: your changes suck.

If you don't like fighting, flip the channel over to something else.
you remind me of

hell i dont mind fights i just want less players. 9 forwards and 6 defensemen, i doubt teams will waste their roster spots on goons

um is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:45 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Sometimes people are killed in fist fights. Just because someone is a professional athlete doesn't mean his brain is less vulnerable to physical trauma.

Is it really that far-fetched for hockey fans to think that it could happen after a fight like last night's between McLaren and Dziurzynski?

Surely hockey fans of all people are aware of how hard the ice surface is.
Jay beagle says hi. He got put to sleep by asham and then came back to play for the caps.

People dont seem to have a problem with fights, there are literally hundreds of fights that never get commented about. What they dont like is that Dz got knocked out. This is no epidemic, it happens one or twice a year. is it graphic, yes. Is it indicative of some deeper problem that has to be "fixed", no.

I hope Dz gets better and makes a speedy recovery. the way jim thompson talked about it, he made it seem like the kid died on the ice.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:52 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
that's funny, because Moore seemed perfectly fine before having his head driven to the ice by Bertuzzi.
??? What do you mean ?

I was just writing that Moore fought someone (May ?) because of what happened some games before regarding his hit on Naslund. he was not suspended (I think) and the canucks were really planning to make him pay on the ice. Usually, it's a one fight deal. In this case Bertuzzi pushed his luck and asked Moore for another dance, which he declined...Withe the results we know.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:54 PM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
Jay beagle says hi. He got put to sleep by asham and then came back to play for the caps.

People dont seem to have a problem with fights, there are literally hundreds of fights that never get commented about. What they dont like is that Dz got knocked out. This is no epidemic, it happens one or twice a year. is it graphic, yes. Is it indicative of some deeper problem that has to be "fixed", no.

I hope Dz gets better and makes a speedy recovery. the way jim thompson talked about it, he made it seem like the kid died on the ice.

I think you bring up good points. I'm a long-time fan and I have been conflicted on the issue over the past few years. I suppose that I fail to differentiate between the vast majority of the fights that don't end with knockouts and the few that do.

To me it's repulsive to watch the guys get knocked out and sometimes I feel like I don't want to watch a sport where that happens.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:15 PM
ShippinUpToBoston
Don't Poke The Bear

Quote:

I guess you should stick to soccer then.

ShippinUpToBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:21 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Quote:

What about when someone dies from a hit into the boards?

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:26 PM
ShippinUpToBoston
Don't Poke The Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Exactly, touch up icing is much more likely to kill someone than a 20 second fight.

ShippinUpToBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:29 PM
C77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
I get your point; it's a dangerous game with or without fighting.

I think Brian Burke had a good point when he said that the NHL will never be a safe work environment. I still don't think that guys like Scott, Orr, and McGrattan should be in the league.

Old
03-07-2013, 05:39 PM
sandysan

Quote:
I get your point; it's a dangerous game with or without fighting.

I think Brian Burke had a good point when he said that the NHL will never be a safe work environment. I still don't think that guys like Scott, Orr, and McGrattan should be in the league.
if you want to go back to every player is responsible for their own protection, that's fine. say goodbye to the little talent guys.

Yes John Scott was not blessed with the softest hands in history. But he's no worse a " hockey player" than brian gionta or MSL are fighters. The big guys give the little guys room, even if they do a lot of it from the bench. So john scott is a goon because be can fight but not score, but if you say that MSL or gionta are marshmellow smurfs people will say its not their job to fight. The same is true for John scott, he's not on the sabres to score.

You can say who should and who should not be in the league, but your not a GM. Vancouver claimed sesito, mcgrattan is now a flame. The GMs for these two teams saw something in these two players that they believed would help their respective teams. I think its pretty safe to say, it's not increased offensive output.

Now when alain vignault sees a heavy lining up and taps sesitos shoulder to line up across from him and they fight, do you think this is at all surprising to the coach ? Really ?

Coaches send messages all the time, mix up lines, staple a guy to the bench, call time outs and they send messages to the other team. I dont understand all of them, but I'm pretty sure that the coaches do understand and do have a plan and its not that sesito gets ice time because his name came up on a mini roulette wheel behind the canucks bench.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:47 PM
ukapu

"I'm sick of all these bleeding heart liberals trying to ban gladiatoral fights. Watching men brutally murder each other at the Coliseum has been a part of Roman culture long before any of us were born. These gladiators knew the risks when they signed up. I get enjoyment from seeing grown men eaten alive by lions- so what? Who are you to tell me how to live?"

ukapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 05:57 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukapu View Post
"I'm sick of all these bleeding heart liberals trying to ban gladiatoral fights. Watching men brutally murder each other at the Coliseum has been a part of Roman culture long before any of us were born. These gladiators knew the risks when they signed up. I get enjoyment from seeing grown men eaten alive by lions- so what? Who are you to tell me how to live?"
No one is forcing you to watch NHL hockey. Go watch University level...good hockey and little fighting. As someone said earlier....we should make everyone wear full cages too. Oh and have foam boards. And a softer puck. And get rid of skates and let them run.

Hell...a player TODAY was paralyzed in the Swiss league after being hit while chasing the puck into the corner...the "dump and chase". Guess we should outlaw hitting to.

Tripod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:00 PM
Boston BROin
Marchand makes u mad

Send a message via AIM to Boston BROin Send a message via Yahoo to Boston BROin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukapu View Post
Honestly, though, if dudes wanted to fight with lions and stuff, who are you to say they shouldn't be able to? As long as nobody is forced to do anything, don't stick your nose in it.

Boston BROin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:03 PM
ukapu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
No one is forcing you to watch NHL hockey.
"Go watch the chariot races if you can't handle blood sports like a real man."

ukapu is offline   Reply With Quote