Roster/Trade/Etc Discussion Part V

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 08:46 AM
JabbaJabba

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallenity View Post
Should we have some interest towards Briere? If Philly is out of the playoff picture, he could probably be had and has a rather good salary coming into the next two seasons.
Don't like his salary too much but he could had for cheaper price than Couturier or Schenn. Depends on Getzlaf's and Perry's contract situation really and how much the management wants to use money.

Palmieri-Getzlaf-Perry
Ryan-Briere-Selšnne

Not bad top 6. 2nd line would still be a disaster in their own D zone. Briere would also solve the center problem for a season or two. But it really depends on what the Flyers would ask for him. Probably Holland which would really hurt the Ducks in a long run.

I would like to see Maroon-Holland-Etem -line really, I don't know how McMillan has been playing but it think that that line has great potential.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:52 AM
quentez
#8 Teemu Legend

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
Don't like his salary too much but he could had for cheaper price than Couturier or Schenn.
His salary is only $3m and $2m for 2013/14 and 2014/15.

He does however have a NMC. With his cap at $6.5m, I guess Flyers would be extremely interested in moving him.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:23 AM
Fallenity

vCash: 950
Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post

He does however have a NMC. With his cap at $6.5m, I guess Flyers would be extremely interested in moving him.
Otherwise I think it would be a very good fit, but the NMC does make things difficult. Should probably sniff around the Philly boards for the general mood regarding him.

But like Jabba says, that second line would be horrible defensively. They'd really need a lot offensive zone starts to work.

In regards to what we'd be giving up for him, I don't think the Flyers would target Holland. They seem to have an OK / good center depth. I'd imagine they'd want a winger from us. Maybe something along the lines of DSP+2nd+5th or perhaps Rakell+3rd. They'd probably ask for Etem or Palmieri, but I wouldn't go with it then.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:28 AM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by quentez View Post

Oh yeah you are right. I just quickly checked his contract and only saw his cap then. That actual salary is very doable for the Ducks. His NMC might become a problem but what if the Flyers are out at the trade deadline and the Ducks approach them with a proposal? I think it should definitely interest Briere to join a team that is going to the playoffs.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:34 AM
TheJoeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit Dose View Post
And those expectations need to be realistic. Yours were not.
What's not realistic about expecting him to do SOMETHING while he's up here? I've been pretty high on Holland but each time he's been called up he hasn't been affective. At anything. I'm simply saying if he doesn't preform yet again this go around he gets sent back and if a trade comes along that calls for a bright prospect I'm fine if it's him. I feel Rakell is going to hop over him by next season so he makes for an excellent piece in a potential trade. I'm not saying give up on him, I'm simply saying his best value as an asset may be as a bargaining chip right now.

You can't deny he hasn't been affective in any of his call-ups this year.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:42 AM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
i would LOVE briere on the ducks. he fills a great need that we have in literally every aspect. except for the fact that he also isn't great in the dot he fills a lot of other needs

most notably 2nd line C. and he is an absolute BEAST in the playoffs, which is always a great +. his contract fits really well for us. I'd definitely trade for briere, obviously depending on what they ask

Old
03-07-2013, 09:42 AM
mightyquack
Reverse Tank

He's only 22 and trying to become an NHL center, probably the hardest role for young players apart from playing on the back end. And we want to trade him if he doesn't become an NHL regular this season? That's absurd IMO

Old
03-07-2013, 11:43 AM
TheJoeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyquack View Post
He's only 22 and trying to become an NHL center, probably the hardest role for young players apart from playing on the back end. And we want to trade him if he doesn't become an NHL regular this season? That's absurd IMO
No one is listening to me. I'm not saying move him because he's not hacking it, I'm saying have him available in order to make this team better because we have Rakell to take his place on the depth chart.

Oleg Tverdosky was a great prospect but no one batted an eye when we used him to get Teemu. At the time of the Beauch trade we had Gardiner and Schultz and that made one of them expendable. It can be just as useful to have young players used as trade bait as it is to have actually have a positive impact on the roster. I haven't given up on Holland yet but he's gotta show me more. If Getzy doesn't re-sign than that changes things. But if a deal comes up to get a great player and the asking price includes Peter Holland I'm all for it. If not than let him work his way out of it. But his play and Rakell's potential make him expendable.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:44 PM
Professor John Frink

Send a message via ICQ to Professor John Frink
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJoeMan View Post
No one is listening to me. I'm not saying move him because he's not hacking it, I'm saying have him available in order to make this team better because we have Rakell to take his place on the depth chart.

Oleg Tverdosky was a great prospect but no one batted an eye when we used him to get Teemu. At the time of the Beauch trade we had Gardiner and Schultz and that made one of them expendable. It can be just as useful to have young players used as trade bait as it is to have actually have a positive impact on the roster. I haven't given up on Holland yet but he's gotta show me more. If Getzy doesn't re-sign than that changes things. But if a deal comes up to get a great player and the asking price includes Peter Holland I'm all for it. If not than let him work his way out of it. But his play and Rakell's potential make him expendable.
I understand what you are saying. And I will say I fully agree if there is a deal to be made that gets the Ducks a legit C for the 2nd line which forces us to deal Holland I am all for it. However other than a deal for a C I don't think the Ducks can afford to trade a prospect from our weakest depth area. I know you mention things change if Getzlaf goes, but with Koivu close to retirement himself and Bonino not looking like he can handle 2nd line duties I'd argue the Ducks need to hold onto every C prospect they have.

Last thing I want to say is I find it strange that you are quick to deal off Holland and state he hasn't proven he can handle the NHL as a reason but are then quick to claim Rakell as being ready. When in fact it could be argued Rakell has proven even less then Holland to date at the pro level.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Prongo
Beer

If we move Briere out to Anaheim I would mostly be interested in your defensive prospects(well at least if I was the GM). Winger prospects next. Like the one poster said, we have plenty of depth at center.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:45 PM
TheJoeMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor John Frink View Post
I understand what you are saying. And I will say I fully agree if there is a deal to be made that gets the Ducks a legit C for the 2nd line which forces us to deal Holland I am all for it. However other than a deal for a C I don't think the Ducks can afford to trade a prospect from our weakest depth area. I know you mention things change if Getzlaf goes, but with Koivu close to retirement himself and Bonino not looking like he can handle 2nd line duties I'd argue the Ducks need to hold onto every C prospect they have.

Last thing I want to say is I find it strange that you are quick to deal off Holland and state he hasn't proven he can handle the NHL as a reason but are then quick to claim Rakell as being ready. When in fact it could be argued Rakell has proven even less then Holland to date at the pro level.
I just feel like Rakell is going to make a better pro, albeit based off of just a few NHL games. I think he looked better than Holland did and is two years younger.

But we are in total agreement on trading Holland. Your point is exactly the point I'm trying to get across. The kid has talent no doubt about it but he needs to prove he belongs. He's got 114 AHL games under his belt which is plenty in order to graduate up to the bigs.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:45 PM
bumperkisser

vCash: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
If we move Briere out to Anaheim I would mostly be interested in your defensive prospects(well at least if I was the GM). Winger prospects next. Like the one poster said, we have plenty of depth at center.
who would you be interested in? Lindholm i would say is unavailable. vatanen might be available

Old
03-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
who would you be interested in? Lindholm i would say is unavailable. vatanen might be available
I would definitely be interested in him. Include a good pick an I would take that deal.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:54 PM
Gibsons Finest
Beast

Quote:
I don't believe that ROR has pushed anyone out of their top six. I'd wait for that to happen before expecting some movement.
I think he has with his contract. He played very well last year, is quite young, and is getting paid like a first line center. They're not in contention, either, IMO they'd make a deal like that, dealing from by far their strongest point(center depth) to address one of their weakest(defense).

As for Briere, don't count on it. Briere's actual salary next year is very little, he has a NMC, and Philly probably needs to get rid of his cap hit. If anything, IMO, he'll force an amnesty buyout, so he gets a couple bucks just to leave and then actually makes more money annually when he signs a 2-year, $8 million contract, or something of that ilk. Accepting a trade anywhere makes little sense for Briere at this point.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:11 PM
Unagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumperkisser View Post
No, just no. Not for a guy like Briere.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:14 PM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

The thought of Beleskey-Briere-Selanne is awesome. Why Beleskey? We've seen how solid he's been on the top line. I think it's just a matter of putting him with a dynamic playmaking center... he'd be awesome in front of the net with Briere and Selanne cycling the puck behind the net and what not. It almost would remind me of Hartnell-Briere-Leino (where there's obviously a downgrade from Hartnell to Beleskey but an upgrade from Leino to Selanne).

That'd be a really nice upgrade even though I think Bonino has performed fine (just not meshing with Selanne [yet?]). After next year we could slot Briere on the wing and he'd be great with Palmieri or Etem or whatever scoring winger takes over that second line slot after Selanne.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckNoire View Post
No, just no. Not for a guy like Briere.
Briere is probably worth that much in general, but I agree that we shouldn't be moving off youth without getting someone younger than Briere back.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:24 PM
PuqTalk
@PuqOT on Twitter

Quote:
Briere is probably worth that much in general, but I agree that we shouldn't be moving off youth without getting someone younger than Briere back.
I mean, I agree to an extent, but Briere will take us to another level come playoff time. I mean, we've built an incredible prospect pool, arguably one of the best in the NHL. It's not likely all of our guys will end up on the roster at the same time.

And heck, Briere might be older, but we'll probably get a solid next year out of him too which could be very helpful with guys like Palmieri or Etem needing to make the next step.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuqTalk View Post
I mean, I agree to an extent, but Briere will take us to another level come playoff time. I mean, we've built an incredible prospect pool, arguably one of the best in the NHL. It's not likely all of our guys will end up on the roster at the same time.

And heck, Briere might be older, but we'll probably get a solid next year out of him too which could be very helpful with guys like Palmieri or Etem needing to make the next step.
I don't believe that we are one trade away from a stanley cup. The problem that I see can't be fixed by a trade, only time will fix that.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
I don't believe that we are one trade away from a stanley cup. The problem that I see can't be fixed by a trade, only time will fix that.
You think they need more than a 2C/2L and a 3/4D who plays well with Fowler?

Old
03-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducks DVM View Post
You think they need more than a 2C/2L and a 3/4D who plays well with Fowler?
I think we need our younger players to get more experience. I do not trust large chunks of this team to maintain the pace needed for a playoff run just yet.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:49 PM
Ducks DVM
There is no grunion

Quote:
I think we need our younger players to get more experience. I do not trust large chunks of this team to maintain the pace needed for a playoff run just yet.
Ah, ok. I'm more concerned with Koivu Selanne and Souray wearing down myself, I'm hoping there are few enough kids to make that much of a difference.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:12 AM
JabbaJabba

I see Exit Dose's point but I think that the Ducks should go after a center who could be had at a reasonable price. Outside of Briere I'm thinking about Gagner, Stastny and Brassard. Their asking price might be a lot lower than Briere's.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:20 AM
Exit Dose

Quote:
Originally Posted by JabbaJabba View Post
I see Exit Dose's point but I think that the Ducks should go after a center who could be had at a reasonable price. Outside of Briere I'm thinking about Gagner, Stastny and Brassard. Their asking price might be a lot lower than Briere's.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not objecting to the idea of acquiring a center, but I feel that center needs to be around for a while and a bit younger than Briere. All three of the people that you listed I'd be fine with.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:08 AM
JabbaJabba

Quote:
Don't get me wrong, I'm not objecting to the idea of acquiring a center, but I feel that center needs to be around for a while and a bit younger than Briere. All three of the people that you listed I'd be fine with.
I believe that Briere would have the biggest impact on the team and his salary comes down nicely. Brassard's contract is doable and he's signed for next season aswell. Gagner is RFA after this season and Stastny has the biggest salary which could come in the way of signing Perry and Getzlaf.

Briere's availability at the trade deadline is still a mystery because Flyers are in the playoff race and they could still be in the race at the deadline. If they are in the playoff spot, then there's no way that they trade Briere or he wouldn't be cheap.

Columbus, Edmonton and Colorado aren't all going to rise from the bottom and I doubt that any of them do. Colorado has a good center depth and they could get rid of Stastny. Gagner is Edmonton's most productive player and they don't have a good center depth. He could be pricy. Columbus is a mess, they just got a new GM so may be Brassard could get traded away. They have some centers and they got a bunch of good picks for the draft and they could be getting MacKinnon.

So they all have their pros and cons. I believe that Stastny is the most available considering that Colorado has Duchene and O'Rielly for top 6 and their ranking in Western Conference. I would want to have Getzlaf's and Perry's contracts done with first if they go after Stastny. Colorado could use the money to buy a better defence.

However, I can see one more problem with this, does Colorado want to trade Stastny within the conference? Of course, Anaheim and Colorado won't be in the same conference due to the realignment but still, that could be a problem. Same thing with Gagner but the Ducks and the Oilers have had a lot of trades in the past so that might not be as big of a problem. They wouldn't have this situation with Briere and Columbus is also going to the east so Brassard could be had.

Also consider that the new center would be playing with Ryan, Selšnne or Palmieri, he would have to have playmaking skills and be good in defensive zone. Brassard is probably the best in defence and he still has some potential left. He could really use playing with someone as skilled as Bobby.

So in conclusion, I have no idea which of these would be the ideal one to go after .

Closed Thread