HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

For the Record -

Old
03-07-2013, 06:01 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

vCash: 500
For the Record -

Quote:
NHL defines Chicago Blackhawks’ record chase as single-season; last season doesn’t count

According to the NHL Guide and Record Book, the only team records – winning, losing and undefeated streaks – that the League officially recognizes are the ones compiled within a single season.

The League designates those streaks from the start of the season, like the Blackhawks' current points streak that blew away that of the 1984-85 Edmonton Oilers.
Greg Wyshynski has been trying to get a definitive answer from the NHL as to what the defines the Blackhawks current point streak.

Link

Last edited by ChiGuySez: 03-07-2013 at 06:32 PM.
ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:08 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Good, that's the way it should be.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:34 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Good, that's the way it should be.
Agreed, I always thought that it was silly to count games from last season. Especially since they did technically lose in regulation since then.

MTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:46 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

One sports radio show (forgot which one) was discussing the run and Wyshynski's efforts to get a definitive answer from the NHL. As of that show (today) they said Wyshynski did not receive any answer from the NHL so maybe this is post by him is new news.

At any rate, there was also discussion about individual records which may be relevant. An example was brought up like Joe DiMaggios legendary consecutive hit streak of 56 games where if records were counted across seasons, this and other individual/team records may have to be rewritten. They said thankfully MLB never had to deal with something like this.

Makes sense though.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:48 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
One sports radio show (forgot which one) was discussing the run and Wyshynski's efforts to get a definitive answer from the NHL. As of that show (today) they said Wyshynski did not receive any answer from the NHL so maybe this is post by him is new news.

At any rate, there was also discussion about individual records which may be relevant. An example was brought up like Joe DiMaggios legendary consecutive hit streak of 56 games where if records were counted across seasons, this and other individual/team records may have to be rewritten. They said thankfully MLB never had to deal with something like this.

Makes sense though.
The only way I could see a league counting across multiple seasons is if the streak goes from the beginning of one season, all the way through and into the next.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:56 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Good, agree with Bobby Clarke's piece in the paper.

coldsteelonice84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:58 PM
w00d
In Saad We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTP View Post
Especially since they did technically lose in regulation since then.
Except they didn't. The playoffs exist in their own universe, because players are not paid salaries during the playoffs. That's why anything that happens in the postseason does not count toward a player's "career" statistics. They're not being paid from their contracts to do it. Chris Kreider didn't score his first career NHL goal until a month ago despite scoring 5 in the playoffs last year. And of course, also why Marian Hossa's 130 playoff games do not count toward his 1,001 career total.

w00d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:02 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Quote:
Originally Posted by w00d View Post
Except they didn't. The playoffs exist in their own universe, because players are not paid salaries during the playoffs. That's why anything that happens in the postseason does not count toward a player's "career" statistics. They're not being paid from their contracts to do it. Chris Kreider didn't score his first career NHL goal until a month ago despite scoring 5 in the playoffs last year. And of course, also why Marian Hossa's 130 playoff games do not count toward his 1,001 career total.
I understand how the playoffs work, thanks.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:20 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

I too thought it was a bit dumb to count the 6 games from last year.. but I wasn't going to complain.

Regardless, a 24-game point streak is damn impressive and still 3rd all-time.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 09:24 PM
RFIP
I LOVE CRAWFORD!

Hey all I know is the hawks have gone half a SEASON without a regulation loss so Clarke can suck on that for a while!

RFIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 12:41 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

that's the way it should be, but who the hell really cares? Want to win the Cup, but it's a real fun time to be a Hawks Fan

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote