HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blackhawks v Avalanche - The streak continues -

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 03:48 PM
TwistedWrister90

vCash: 500
Michael Phelps is a freak, but there's no doubt in my mind that LeBron is a better all around athlete.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:50 PM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Meh, i have a feeling Phelps could place well in marathon running competitions given his stamina. Obviously not winning because he isn't a runner, but the guy is a beast. Unless you are Bo Jackson, you are only going to be excellent in one sport. Don't give me this garbage that Lebron would be a pro bowl TE if he played football. He didn't and he isn't. Hell, his body might not even be able to take the grind of high level football, even if he was good enough to play. Yes, I realize he was a receiver in high school.

Old
03-07-2013, 03:57 PM
TwistedWrister90

Idk LeBron is one of the most physically gifted people in the world. I'm pretty sure he was all state in football in high school. He obviously wouldn't be as dominant as he is in basketball, but I think the chances of him making it to the NFL would be pretty good. He'd also be a beast at some of the field events in track.

Old
03-07-2013, 04:09 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

5 more Wins and we should have clinched a PO Spot. 10 more and we have a Top2 seed....

Old
03-07-2013, 06:44 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nds90 View Post
Idk LeBron is one of the most physically gifted people in the world. I'm pretty sure he was all state in football in high school. He obviously wouldn't be as dominant as he is in basketball, but I think the chances of him making it to the NFL would be pretty good. He'd also be a beast at some of the field events in track.
Saying James would make the NFL is purely speculation. Who knows how he would react to playing a contact sport in terms of physical wear and tear as well as the mental aspect. A big reason why James is so dominant in the NBA is because you're basically not allowed to play defense anymore. He's easily the best basketball player in the world, but saying he's the best athlete hands down is just silly.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:02 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTP View Post
Saying James would make the NFL is purely speculation. Who knows how he would react to playing a contact sport in terms of physical wear and tear as well as the mental aspect. A big reason why James is so dominant in the NBA is because you're basically not allowed to play defense anymore. He's easily the best basketball player in the world, but saying he's the best athlete hands down is just silly.
no, said he was a superior athlete to bolt and Phelps, both of whom are one dimensional.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:25 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
no, said he was a superior athlete to bolt and Phelps, both of whom are one dimensional.
Because they don't run AND jump in their respective sports. The most arbitrary criteria ever.

Lebron doesn't sail, ski, or weight lift in his sport. One-dimensional.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:30 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Because they don't run AND jump in their respective sports. The most arbitrary criteria ever.

Lebron doesn't sail, ski, or weight lift in his sport. One-dimensional.
its not arbitrary. they are measures of athleticism. is the fastest guy in the nfl automatically the most athletic?

Old
03-07-2013, 07:37 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Quote:
Bolt and Phelps are one dimensional because that's all their respective sport requires. Obviously we're not ever going to see the three of them compete in the same event on a level playing field, so you have to take their athleticism in the context of their particular sport. And the fact is that Bolt and Phelps are both world beaters and the best that either sport has ever seen, while James is simply the best that's come along in a while.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:43 PM
madgoat33

look at swimming and running records(especially swimming) they generally don't stand for very long.

so bolt is fast, doesn't make him more athletic. aroldis chapman throws a ball 105mph, probably harder than any other man alive, dies that make him more athletic than lebron too?

and lebron very well could be the best bball player ever

Old
03-07-2013, 07:51 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Quote:
look at swimming and running records(especially swimming) they generally don't stand for very long.

so bolt is fast, doesn't make him more athletic. aroldis chapman throws a ball 105mph, probably harder than any other man alive, dies that make him more athletic than lebron too?

Bringing up Chapman is completely asinine and has no place in this discussion.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:56 PM
Sevanston

Quote:

Your arguments just keep retreating.

First it was that running and jumping somehow translate better to things that aren't running and jumping (wut?) and now you're talking about how often records get broken like that somehow means Bolt and Phelps are less athletic.

Usain Bolt literally does half of what you're looking for better than anyone else in the world, but somehow that doesn't count because he doesn't also jump. Phelps isn't just better than his peers at one or two things, he's better at everything. Gold medals in every single category of swimming, and world records in almost as many. And he's won these things three times out of three.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Hawkaholic

LeBron the best athlete? Give me a break.

Old
03-07-2013, 09:30 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Your arguments just keep retreating.

First it was that running and jumping somehow translate better to things that aren't running and jumping (wut?) and now you're talking about how often records get broken like that somehow means Bolt and Phelps are less athletic.

Usain Bolt literally does half of what you're looking for better than anyone else in the world, but somehow that doesn't count because he doesn't also jump. Phelps isn't just better than his peers at one or two things, he's better at everything. Gold medals in every single category of swimming, and world records in almost as many. And he's won these things three times out of three.
i specifically mentioned 3 major factors to athleticism. not to mention factors like size(ie, more impressive to run fast at 240+ like calvin Johnson/vernon Davis than at 180 like mike Wallace. again, answer the question, its the fastest player in the nfl the most athletic?

Old
03-07-2013, 10:57 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
i specifically mentioned 3 major factors to athleticism. not to mention factors like size(ie, more impressive to run fast at 240+ like calvin Johnson/vernon Davis than at 180 like mike Wallace. again, answer the question, its the fastest player in the nfl the most athletic?
Of the three factors you mentioned, the only one that isn't nonsense is coordination.

Other things that matter when determining athleticism include attributes like strength, speed, flexibility, and endurance. These are qualities that all athletes must possess to a one extent or another, and doesn't place superficial exceptions on who qualifies based on what skills their sport has them using most often. Things like how fast you run or how high you jump are just methods of determining athletic attributes like speed and strength, they're not the goal measurements in and of themselves. The same way that astronomers don't study telescopes, they study what they can see through them.

Size is also a useless measure absent of the context it will be used in. No one with Calvin Johnson's size is going to be competing in a triathlon. Size is an undesirable trait in a sport like gymnastics, are they all less athletic?

As far as who is the most athletic player in the NFL, I honestly don't know. I don't follow football. What does football have to do with Lebron again?

Closed Thread