HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey without fighting.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:12 PM
ukapu

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston BROin View Post
Honestly, though, if dudes wanted to fight with lions and stuff, who are you to say they shouldn't be able to? As long as nobody is forced to do anything, don't stick your nose in it.
I mean, theoretically if people were doing it just in their spare time, you're right, there wouldn't really be a problem. But once you start adding crowds and money and sponsorships into the mix, you create a huge incentive. I mean, if the NHL (or other pro leagues) didn't exist, do you think that you'd get as many players wanting to be goons?

ukapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:17 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukapu View Post
"I'm sick of all these bleeding heart liberals trying to ban gladiatoral fights. Watching men brutally murder each other at the Coliseum has been a part of Roman culture long before any of us were born. These gladiators knew the risks when they signed up. I get enjoyment from seeing grown men eaten alive by lions- so what? Who are you to tell me how to live?"
I'm not sure how the lion could consent, but if he's good along the boards, is responsible defensively and is willing to flash the teeth from time to time, I'd consider giving him 4th line minutes.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:21 PM
sandysan

Quote:
I mean, theoretically if people were doing it just in their spare time, you're right, there wouldn't really be a problem. But once you start adding crowds and money and sponsorships into the mix, you create a huge incentive. I mean, if the NHL (or other pro leagues) didn't exist, do you think that you'd get as many players wanting to be goons?
I've personally seen fights where there were more people on one bench than in the entire stands.
I don't know anyone who wants to be a goon, but if the choice is goon in the NHL or employee of the month at the feed store or quickly mart, who knows?

Hockey isn't the only profession where people do things they might not enjoy in order to cash a check.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:21 PM
ukapu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
I'm not sure how the lion could consent, but if he's good along the boards, is responsible defensively and is willing to flash the teeth from time to time, I'd consider giving him 4th line minutes.
I think you'd want a lioness. Male lions are known for being lazy in the defensive zone.

ukapu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:23 PM
sandysan

Quote:
I think you'd want a lioness. Male lions are known for being lazy in the defensive zone.
Evgeni Malkin is a lion? I kid, I kid.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:34 PM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Maybe because I've never played the game and only got into hockey in the first place due to NHL Breakaway '98, but I have never understood the use of hockey fights. I guess that it's tradition, but just because you've been doing something for a long time doesn't mean it's right. That, and how players love to push other players away from their goaltender after the play is dead. It's so dumb and leads to so many silly scrums.

Ozamataz Buckshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:55 PM
dirk41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromster View Post
Fighting has been a part of the NHL forever. There are many other hockey leagues which have outlawed fighting. Fighting may not be an integral part of hockey, but it is an integral part of the NHL. If you love hockey and hate fighting, change the channel. You have other opportunities to enjoy fighting free hockey.
If you love fighting, change the channel. You have other opportunities to enjoy fighting.

dirk41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:00 PM
tinfoilcup

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Affinity View Post
Too much testosterone up in here. Telling other people to watch another sport if they don't like fighting. Yeah because fighting is the sole entertainment in hockey. 60 minutes of guys punching each other right?
The fighting existed when you began watching hockey. The majority of fans like it. Do you understand what this means? It means you are the type of person where everyone has to change their habits to please you. If you hate it so much go watch something else. That's what it comes down to every time. The fighting was there when you started watching. Why didn't you turn it off if you were so horrified by it?

tinfoilcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:03 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk41 View Post
If you love fighting, change the channel. You have other opportunities to enjoy fighting.
I'm sorry, do you go to an r rated movie with then whine when the dialog goes blue?

You don't have to love every aspect of the game, I hate the shootout, but not enough to offset the love I have for other aspects. I also don't waste my time trying to convince other people that they should kill the shootout because I would like it better.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:09 PM
NorthStar4Canes

I'm in favour of more fighting. Fightless hockey has no soul, the players may as well be river dancing.

NorthStar4Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:11 PM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoilcup View Post
The fighting existed when you began watching hockey. The majority of fans like it. Do you understand what this means? It means you are the type of person where everyone has to change their habits to please you. If you hate it so much go watch something else. That's what it comes down to every time. The fighting was there when you started watching. Why didn't you turn it off if you were so horrified by it?
Proof?

Old
03-07-2013, 07:12 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Fighting is the only thing that makes cheapshots less than they should be. Without fighting, expectmore boarding and ccheap shots. Fighting prevents more injuries cause players can just fight it out without mostly taking a punch instead of being boarded instead

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:13 PM
Art of Sedinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar4Canes View Post
I'm in favour of more fighting. Fightless hockey has no soul, the players may as well be river dancing.
What does that even mean? Seriously?

Art of Sedinery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:15 PM
Art of Sedinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
Fighting is the only thing that makes cheapshots less than they should be. Without fighting, expectmore boarding and ccheap shots. Fighting prevents more injuries cause players can just fight it out without mostly taking a punch instead of being boarded instead
Except half the time the guys throwing the cheap shots are the guys whose job, or a big part of their job, is to fight.

Do you think Claude Giroux or Pavel Datsyuk or Erik Karlsson would board or cross check people more often without fighting?

Fighting isn't the problem. It's having players whose main job is fighting. I think getting these players out of the league is the solution. If a player reaches a certain number of fights (example: 5) he is fined $10,000 and/or suspended for 1 game, and the same punishment for each following fight that season.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:16 PM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quote:
No, harsh suspensions and fines would that just fine. Look at the NFL, they're changing the way guys hit by fining him big bucks for nasty hits.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:17 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselForSelke View Post
Proof?
How about watch a game? No one boos or runs to the concession stand when two guys fight.

If your suggesting that the fans who buy tickets in this gate driven league don't like the fights, I have to ask, have you ever watched an NHL game?

Old
03-07-2013, 07:20 PM
Art of Sedinery

Quote:
How about watch a game? No one boos or runs to the concession stand when two guys fight.

If your suggesting that the fans who buy tickets in this gate driven league don't like the fights, I have to ask, have you ever watched an NHL game?
I'd argue that a large percentage of "casual" fans are against fighting, in my experience. Not necessarily the fans that pay big bucks to attend games, but people who follow a team and/or the league at least somewhat.

Whether the league wants to or cares about those fans is up to them.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:21 PM
KingKopitar11*
Drew Doughty Eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art of Sedinery View Post
Except half the time the guys throwing the cheap shots are the guys whose job, or a big part of their job, is to fight.

Do you think Claude Giroux or Pavel Datsyuk or Erik Karlsson would board or cross check people more often without fighting?

Fighting isn't the problem. It's having players whose main job is fighting. I think getting these players out of the league is the solution. If a player reaches a certain number of fights (example: 5) he is fined $10,000 and/or suspended for 1 game, and the same punishment for each following fight that season.
You just named very soft players. Fighting or not, you can't take it away cause of one KO. There's already a 5 minute major for it, they do it mutually. It's a risk they take, it's not us fighting. They are reckless they pay the consequences. Brown never fights but he throws big hits, play like him. I don't care what happened to one guy who got decked, it's a risk he took. Fight if you want to, it's your risk, and the league should keep it like that, if you want to make it less frequent put a fine for it too. That's as strict as it should be.

KingKopitar11* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quote:

The problem is the attempt to argue the opinion of the majority without any quantifiable proof. If you're pro-fighting go right ahead and make your argument, but it's a useless exercise to justify fighting by saying the majority like it. That's not a fact.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:26 PM
Art of Sedinery

Quote:
You just named very soft players. Fighting or not, you can't take it away cause of one KO. There's already a 5 minute major for it, they do it mutually. It's a risk they take, it's not us fighting. They are reckless they pay the consequences. Brown never fights but he throws big hits, play like him. I don't care what happened to one guy who got decked, it's a risk he took. Fight if you want to, it's your risk, and the league should keep it like that, if you want to make it less frequent put a fine for it too. That's as strict as it should be.
You are talking like they are back-yard wrestling, where no one else is affected by it.

It's not just the player's at risk. It's the Owner, the League, the PA, the insurance companies, the advertisers, and the fans that all have something to lose.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:26 PM
tinfoilcup

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselForSelke View Post
Proof?
http://www.thestar.com/sports/2009/0...rvey_says.html
2nd paragraph down. The fans who actually watch the game. 63% want fighting.

tinfoilcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:27 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art of Sedinery View Post
I'd argue that a large percentage of "casual" fans are against fighting, in my experience. Not necessarily the fans that pay big bucks to attend games, but people who follow a team and/or the league at least somewhat.

Whether the league wants to or cares about those fans is up to them.
I'd argue that the majority of fans who are opposed to fighting are so because they feel it makes them enlightened, and they wouldn't be a fan if there was no fighting.

The league should raise the middle finger to fans who want to dictate how the game is run who might show up to a game ( but most likely wont) and focus on the people who pay the bills to keep the lights on.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:28 PM
Art of Sedinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoilcup View Post
http://www.thestar.com/sports/2009/0...rvey_says.html
2nd paragraph down. The fans who actually watch the game. 63% want fighting
That's actually not as high as I thought it might be, or even that it likely was 10 years ago.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Art of Sedinery

Quote:
I'd argue that the majority of fans who are opposed to fighting are so because they feel it makes them enlightened, and they wouldn't be a fan if there was no fighting.

The league should raise the middle finger to fans who want to dictate how the game is run who might show up to a game ( but most likely wont) and focus on the people who pay the bills to keep the lights on.
What number do you think is higher; fans the league would gain without fighting vs. fans the league would lose without fighting?

I don't think the NHL is in a position to "raise the middle finger" to any potential fans.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:31 PM
Vip
Das it mane

The only fighting I don't like are the stupid staged ones.
If it happens in the heat of the moment, fine. That's the good stuff.

Vip is offline   Reply With Quote