HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Hockey without fighting.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:33 PM
tinfoilcup

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art of Sedinery View Post
That's actually not as high as I thought it might be, or even that it likely was 10 years ago.
I think the poll was done in 2009. Don't quote me on that one though. I think the numbers would have been higher but people didn't want to sound less Canadian by admitting they weren't hockey fans. I believe the numbers would have been even higher in favour of fighting had more people been truthful.

tinfoilcup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:34 PM
KingKopitar11
Drew Doughty Eh?

vCash: 500
Quote:
You are talking like they are back-yard wrestling, where no one else is affected by it.

It's not just the player's at risk. It's the Owner, the League, the PA, the insurance companies, the advertisers, and the fans that all have something to lose.
All that's planned for, the teams will miss them and so will the fans. The middle men all have contract and get great pay for injury coverages.

KingKopitar11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:34 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselForSelke View Post
The problem is the attempt to argue the opinion of the majority without any quantifiable proof. If you're pro-fighting go right ahead and make your argument, but it's a useless exercise to justify fighting by saying the majority like it. That's not a fact.
So what's an acceptable proof ? That 96 percent of players want to keep fighting ? How would you go about and evaluate the majority? The majority of who? Fans who spend their disposable incomes to go to games or Joe Molson on the street who does not know that Gretzky isn't still playing.

I'm sure that there is a huge amount of anti fighting sentiment in book clubs and chardonnay circles. In the stands, not so much.

Again if you question whether the fans like the fights, I seriously wonder if you have ever watched a game.

sandysan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:36 PM
Art of Sedinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingKopitar11 View Post
All that's planned for, the teams will miss them and so will the fans. The middle men all have contract and get great pay for injury coverages.
So the insurance companies don't mind paying up big $$$ for a guy who broke his jaw because he willing;y participated in a fight?

Art of Sedinery is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:37 PM
Art of Sedinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinfoilcup View Post
I think the poll was done in 2009. Don't quote me on that one though. I think the numbers would have been higher but people didn't want to sound less Canadian by admitting they weren't hockey fans. I believe the numbers would have been even higher in favour of fighting had more people been truthful.
That's a pretty weak argument.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:38 PM
NorthStar4Canes

Quote:
What does that even mean? Seriously?
What I wrote is a clear, unambiguous statement so if you don't understand it you can't understand the essential element fighting plays in hockey for it to remain hockey. One can't teach soul.

NorthStar4Canes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:39 PM
sandysan

Quote:
What number do you think is higher; fans the league would gain without fighting vs. fans the league would lose without fighting?

I don't think the NHL is in a position to "raise the middle finger" to any potential fans.
Potential fans don't pay the bills, unless you can get players to take potential pay checks.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:40 PM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandysan View Post
So what's an acceptable proof ? That 96 percent of players want to keep fighting ? How would you go about and evaluate the majority? The majority of who? Fans who spend their disposable incomes to go to games or Joe Molson on the street who does not know that Gretzky isn't still playing.

I'm sure that there is a huge amount of anti fighting sentiment in book clubs and chardonnay circles. In the stands, not so much.

Again if you question whether the fans like the fights, I seriously wonder if you have ever watched a game.
Fights are exciting, no doubt. When I go to games and a fight breaks out I don't look away and start bad mouthing fights. They're interesting to watch. I just don't see where it has a place in the game. No other sport out there has a culture of fighting. You might have fights in baseball, but the combatants are always suspended. The NHL without fighting still seems like a quality product, just without the sideshow of men on skates attempting to fight (but normally just hug) each other.

Ozamataz Buckshank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Art of Sedinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar4Canes View Post
What I wrote is a clear, unambiguous statement so if you don't understand it you can't understand the essential element fighting plays in hockey for it to remain hockey. One can't teach soul.
So if a player doesn't fight, he has no soul?

Olympic hockey has no soul?

Old
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

vCash: 142
has there been a single pro-fighting argument in this thread that wasn't something to the tune of "go watch women's figure skating you nancy boy"? Because that seems to be the best that the fighting crowd can come up with most days.

WarriorOfGandhi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:41 PM
tinfoilcup

Quote:
That's a pretty weak argument.
probably, it's weak. Want to meet on the ice and settle this like men?

Old
03-07-2013, 07:43 PM
Art of Sedinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorOfGandhi View Post
has there been a single pro-fighting argument in this thread that wasn't something to the tune of "go watch women's figure skating you nancy boy"? Because that seems to be the best that the fighting crowd can come up with most days.
"Tradition".

Old
03-07-2013, 07:44 PM
sandysan

Quote:
So the insurance companies don't mind paying up big $$$ for a guy who broke his jaw because he willing;y participated in a fight?
What if he broke his jaw blocking a shot, would they have a beef then. If insurance companies are concerned about the bottom line in a sport where grown men crash into each other at 20 mph with clubs in theirs hands, knives on their feet in a contained space with wooden boards where frozen vulcanized rubber is routinely propelled at 90 mph, fighting doesn't make the top 10.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:47 PM
sandysan

Quote:
"Tradition".
I'm pro fighting because its the will of the players. The day the players collectively decide to outlaw fighting, I'm with them.

If you are waiting for this, you might want to pull up a chair.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:47 PM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quote:
What if he broke his jaw blocking a shot, would they have a beef then. If insurance companies are concerned about the bottom line in a sport where grown men crash into each other at 20 mph with clubs in theirs hands, knives on their feet in a contained space with wooden boards where frozen vulcanized rubber is routinely propelled at 90 mph, fighting doesn't make the top 10.
Blocking shots help stop goals. What does fighting do?

Ozamataz Buckshank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:48 PM
NorthStar4Canes

Quote:
So the medical and car insurance companies don't mind paying up big $$$ for fans that get in accidents traveling to and from the arena when they could have stayed at home and watched it risk-free on TV? Car accidents/injury happen all the time, broken jaws from fighting are a rarity.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:49 PM
sandysan

Quote:
The people who face the direct consequences overwhelmingly want it?

I don't mind watching a scrap, but even if I didn't like it and the players wanted it, I'd defer to them.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:49 PM
tinfoilcup

Quote:
No it comes down to you not liking something that was already there when you started watching it and now just because you don't like it we all have to do what you want and get rid of it. I agree that majority of the casual fans and those who don't even watch hockey at all don't want fighting in hockey. These aren't the people making money for the league.

Old
03-07-2013, 07:51 PM
sandysan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KesselForSelke View Post
Blocking shots help stop goals. What does fighting do?
Helps win games in the NHL , gives talent guys more room and keeps people honest.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:00 PM
NorthStar4Canes

Quote:
So if a player doesn't fight, he has no soul?

Olympic hockey has no soul?
Most players (whether they ever wind up in a fight during their careers or not) don't want fighting out of the NHL game, which is the question.

Olympic hockey...has nationalism, not soul. Someone with no soul might mistake one for the other, but they are 2 different things. As different as apples and bacon.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:04 PM
StreetSharks
#19 Joe Trollton

vCash: 327
my gf would stop watching.

StreetSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:07 PM
Art of Sedinery

Quote:
I'm guessing you've never made a claim for workers compensation.

Insurance companies will do whatever they can to not pay out something that they can find a way to put the blame on the victim. You can bet they aren't happy about paying out for something that I guy willingly and knowingly engaged in.

Comparing fighting to blocking a shot shows you really don't understand my point.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:09 PM
Art of Sedinery

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStar4Canes View Post
So the medical and car insurance companies don't mind paying up big $$$ for fans that get in accidents traveling to and from the arena when they could have stayed at home and watched it risk-free on TV? Car accidents/injury happen all the time, broken jaws from fighting are a rarity.
If you willingly engage in activity that has a higher risk rate than just regular driving (ie playing hockey) like street racing (ie. fighting) than insurance companies will do whatever they can to not pay.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:11 PM
Art of Sedinery

Quote:
The people who face the direct consequences overwhelmingly want it?

I don't mind watching a scrap, but even if I didn't like it and the players wanted it, I'd defer to them.
I bet the players were resistant to helmets too. Wouldn't you say that's a positive evolution in the game?

Old
03-07-2013, 08:15 PM
sandysan

Quote:
If you willingly engage in activity that has a higher risk rate than just regular driving (ie playing hockey) like street racing (ie. fighting) than insurance companies will do whatever they can to not pay.
I wonder how the league has survived for the last century. Boy someone in accounts payable at the NHL is gonna have to answer for this.

Insurance companies will ensure anything, if its risky the premiums are higher.