HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which regular is vulnerable to being replaced by a rookie?

View Poll Results: Which regular forward is most vulnerable to losing job to a rookie at beg. of season
Higgins 4 2.41%
Koivu 1 0.60%
Ryder 6 3.61%
Samsonov 0 0%
Ribiero 29 17.47%
Kovalev 0 0%
Perezhoghin 24 14.46%
Plekanecs 0 0%
Johnson 1 0.60%
Begin 0 0%
Bonk 46 27.71%
Murray 55 33.13%
Voters: 166. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-25-2006, 07:41 AM
Toro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Chipchura will make the team with Bonk being traded for a draft pick
interesting. by trading bonk for a pick we free up a lot of cap space.

If Chipchura is ready that would be really good

HE is probably our only rookie that could oust bonk.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 07:44 AM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzYNiNe View Post
bah don't say johnson. I am sure there are fans of other teams who saw johnson for a 4th and were like *** how did we not get him. He's not great, but replaced already? Come on now

Well johnson is alright but admit it he is a short term fix it.

We traded a 4th for him and we could trade him or anyone else for that matter it a rookie is ready, it just depends on what rookie and what spot he needs on the big club...

Old
07-25-2006, 09:20 AM
Dr. Charles

Perezhogin is not a regular
you are not a regular when you play 2 minutes a game

I'm thinking Higgins
He always had slow starts...
and looks more like a solid third line guy

Dr. Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 09:22 AM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toro View Post
I was wondering who everyone thought is the most likely regular forward to be replaced by a rookie for the start of the season?

My guess Johnson . But i truely believe there are no regulars at risk of losing their job. The team is set.

Johnson and bonk are the 2 that are just short term fill ins till our youngsters are ready.
Perezhogin is closest to the bubble with a push from Kostitsyn or Latendresse. Bonk may see a push from Chipchura by mid-season. There could be a press box rotation on the fourth line between Murray, Downey and one of the kids. Sadly, I wish there was more competition for the 5th - 7th defenseman spots.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 09:24 AM
Subban Fan

I can see Chip taking the place of Murray for a couple of games...

Subban Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Jakomyte

Whoever gets injured first.....

Look at what it did to Zednik's year....

Jakomyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 10:14 AM
22SteveBegin22

who in the hell voted for Saku?

22SteveBegin22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 11:47 AM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
Whoever gets injured first.....

Look at what it did to Zednik's year....
That's a good point.

But if I had to choose, it would be Bonk being replaced/pushed by Chipchura. The other thing to consider is that Lapierre and Chipchura could platoon as the 4th line C, and either Murray or Begin can also play C. So there's really a lot of options if Bonk doesn't impress.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 11:51 AM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
A lot of those guys cannot even be considered vets as they have one season or less experience. Murray could lose his job if he does not have a great camp.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 11:51 AM
MasterD

Quote:
ok this is a question for YOU and YOU alone.

How do you see Kost being more NHL ready then what Higgins? Plecks? Perez? Because IF you say them, it doesn't make sense for you to say that another year in the AHL wouldnt hurt, because it would playing against lesser oponents if he is indeed so "NHL ready". Since if he is better then those guys,, clearly better then a first year 20 goals scorer, he must be doing something to impress you so much, Habs management must see it, no? Are you a better player judge then those in the organization?(Not meant to sound bad, just like, I can't understand how IF YOU ARE SAYING THIS PART, how you think you can see things that our management can't, just boggles my mind)

If what you are saying is Kost is better then any other possible rookie who hasnt played in the NHL yet, well then I guess since I have no idea what anyone else looks like
'cause he's the only rookie in the guys you named? lol

MasterD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 12:15 PM
pavlako11

Has to be Bonk, common, six goals? Perez had 50% more and only played 4 mins/game.

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 12:23 PM
BigTimer*

Higgins is the most likely to lose his spot on the top-2 lines. Perezhogin, Ribeiro, and Bonk are the most likely to lose their roster spot.

BigTimer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 12:40 PM
guapo23

I don't understand how anybody can say that Johnson is the most vulnerable.

He was the 2nd leading scorer on the Coyotes last year.

He's a great 2 way player.

Scores a lot of deflection goals on the PP.

Can play center or wing and is reputed to be a real team player.

I think he will replace Ribs on the 2nd line if Ribs doesn;t deliver the goods.

guapo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Bryzga lol*

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo23 View Post
I don't understand how anybody can say that Johnson is the most vulnerable.

He was the 2nd leading scorer on the Coyotes last year.

He's a great 2 way player.

Scores a lot of deflection goals on the PP.

Can play center or wing and is reputed to be a real team player.

I think he will replace Ribs on the 2nd line if Ribs doesn;t deliver the goods.
Exactly what I've been thinking. 54 points last season with a career high of 64. He's responsible, tall, defensive, a verteran and a team player, he's a perfect fit for the 3rd line, especially since he'll probably be playing with two young players like Perez and Plakanec.

Bryzga lol* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 01:09 PM
Talent Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuggy View Post
Chipchura will make the team with Bonk being traded for a draft pick
Maybe not this year , but next year for sure because we don't need to rush Chipchura . He haven't play a full season in the AHL and I think he need it for his developpement .

Talent Analyst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 02:29 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Bonk or Murray.Downy does not have a spot on this roster

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 02:33 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by 22SteveBegin22 View Post
who in the hell voted for Saku?

A fan that we must get rid of

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 02:41 PM
BigTimer*

I seriously doubt Murray is in jeopardy of losing his spot. Bonk would be put on waivers before Chipchura or Lapierre took Murray's spot.

Old
07-25-2006, 02:52 PM
Souffle
A soupçon of nutmeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTimer View Post
I seriously doubt Murray is in jeopardy of losing his spot. Bonk would be put on waivers before Chipchura or Lapierre took Murray's spot.
Yeah, I don't see why Murray at the league minimum would go. These guys are valuable, as we've witnessed many teams scrambling to fill out their near cap-maxed roster with cheap, competent players. He would be picked up the instant he hit waivers. Bonk on the other hand, not as likely, though St. Louis or some other team might take him at half of his current salary.

Murray was a very pleasant surprise last year. He'll never be a big scorer, though he seems to do all right in a complementary role with talented players by mucking in the corners and taking punishment in front of the net. He never took a night off, and he brought physical play and sound defence. He even dropped the gloves a few times. If Lapierre or Chipchura have a similar season to Murray's last year, they'll have been successful.

Souffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 03:01 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
bah don't say johnson. I am sure there are fans of other teams who saw johnson for a 4th and were like *** how did we not get him. He's not great, but replaced already? Come on now
I agree, but Johnson is pretty good. There must have been a reason that Johnson was dealt out of Phoenix, but it isn't because he's not "not great".

He was +7 on a team that let in 25 more goals than they scored, and was 4th on the team in points. He'll give us a reliable two-way right winger, and probably take time on the PK.

To me this deal is just like the Derek Morris deal a couple years back. I don't entirely understand why he was traded, but it was a damn good deal.

coolguy21415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 03:12 PM
BigTimer*

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedave View Post
Yeah, I don't see why Murray at the league minimum would go. These guys are valuable, as we've witnessed many teams scrambling to fill out their near cap-maxed roster with cheap, competent players. He would be picked up the instant he hit waivers. Bonk on the other hand, not as likely, though St. Louis or some other team might take him at half of his current salary.

Murray was a very pleasant surprise last year. He'll never be a big scorer, though he seems to do all right in a complementary role with talented players by mucking in the corners and taking punishment in front of the net. He never took a night off, and he brought physical play and sound defence. He even dropped the gloves a few times. If Lapierre or Chipchura have a similar season to Murray's last year, they'll have been successful.
I was thoroughly impressed with Murray last season. His motor is always running at a 110% and he takes on all comers. I see him becoming one of the top 4th-line grinders in the league and he has what it takes to pot the opportunistic goal every now and then, not to mention possessing above average PK skills. Truly a dedicated hockey and team player.

And man can he skate.

Old
07-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souray44 View Post
I don't really believe any rookie will make the roster...just taking a look at it we're pretty set unless Gainey wasn't being completely honest with us when he said he is done for the summer.

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder
Samsonov - Ribeiro - Kovalev
Perezhogin - Plekanec - Johnson
Begin - Bonk - Murray
Downey extra

Markov - Komisarek
Souray - Rivet
Dandenault - Bouillon
Streit extra

I do think that Kostitsyn will see time this year filling in for injuries or maybe sticking with the team out of camp for awhile. I love Kostitsyn and hope he makes the team but if he doesn't another year in the AHL couldn't hurt the guy.

Kostitsyn is the most NHL ready though in my opinion.
I agree

I could see MAYBE Downey or even Murray losing out to Ferland if he can stick (doubtful). But doubtful.

IMO youre right about the team though. No rookies will fill a permanent spot at the beginning of the season... Half way though could be a different story

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 04:21 PM
skyrok

Team !!!!

Murray leading the votes here shows one thing .... some people here don't really have any idea of what a great TEAM looks like !
The concept of role players for these people is beyond their limited scope of understanding...
Anyone else here notice Gainey is using the mid 70's Montreal Canadiens Team, that he was a part of, as a model and moving us in that direction ?

Bonk has Chipchurra coming and is not likely to be here next year because the cap is better served by letting him go not because he doesn't serve a purpose or play well enough.
Otherwise this line of Begin Bonk Murray is designed to crash and bang and change the momentum of a game , they also have the speed and talent to also chip in a timely goal or two.It is their role with the team and they do it well !

Perezhogin is probably the best answer as we do have many players of his quality awaiting their chance and Perez has only shown glimpses of what he has to offer thus far ...It will be nice to see what the added year of maturity can bring to his play hopefully a little more high level play,and consistency in that play, is in the cards.
GO HABS GO !

skyrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riel View Post
Exactly what I've been thinking. 54 points last season with a career high of 64. He's responsible, tall, defensive, a verteran and a team player, he's a perfect fit for the 3rd line, especially since he'll probably be playing with two young players like Perez and Plakanec.
Well when we signed him i thought that it was a good signing, decent player who can contribute whereever u put him.

But don't forget he got most of his points last year as a top 6 forward with PP time.

He wont get that here. Phoenix was terrible last year.

His ice time alone will plumit here so if he gets 35 points i will be happy.

He is just a filler for a while, till our young guys mature

Old
07-25-2006, 05:28 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyrok View Post
Murray leading the votes here shows one thing .... some people here don't really have any idea of what a great TEAM looks like !
The concept of role players for these people is beyond their limited scope of understanding...
Anyone else here notice Gainey is using the mid 70's Montreal Canadiens Team, that he was a part of, as a model and moving us in that direction ?

Bonk has Chipchurra coming and is not likely to be here next year because the cap is better served by letting him go not because he doesn't serve a purpose or play well enough.
Otherwise this line of Begin Bonk Murray is designed to crash and bang and change the momentum of a game , they also have the speed and talent to also chip in a timely goal or two.It is their role with the team and they do it well !

Perezhogin is probably the best answer as we do have many players of his quality awaiting their chance and Perez has only shown glimpses of what he has to offer thus far ...It will be nice to see what the added year of maturity can bring to his play hopefully a little more high level play,and consistency in that play, is in the cards.
GO HABS GO !
Ahh yes, but for me... I believe a kid like Ferland will give Downey AND Murray a run for their money.

The top line players are safe IMO...
No young gun is immediately going to supercede any of
Ryder, Koivu, Higgins, Ribeiro, Samsonov, or Kovalev

Definates IMO to make the team are Bonk, Begin, Plekanec, and Perezhogin....

Leaving Murray and Downey as the only 2 roles who arent completely definate. Itès I appreciate his game, (which Is why hes in the running above Downey even)

But Ferland is ready for a banger role, and will be competent in the same role... Now time will only tell, but to say Ferland in his Waiver year and 7 games under his belt has no chance at all... well, IMO doesnt make any credit for what Jonny has been trying to prove to the brass... And hes been doing it in our orgnaization a heck of a lot more longer than Garth OR Aron have.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote